100 lb. Club - Ubergirl. You are NOT XXL

View Full Version : Ubergirl. You are NOT XXL

ubergirl
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I ran into Target to pick up some weights to take with me on my trip.

Saw a nice sleeveless Champion coolmax exercise shirt-- it wasn't in the right place. Someone had picked it up and put it down there, so there was only one.

And it was my size: XXL. I held it up to my body. Yup. Looked about right. I threw it in the cart and bought it.

Today, I was going out for a run and I thought-- great, I can wear my new sleeveless shirt.

Pulled it on. Great. It fit perfectly.

Wait a minute. No it didn't. The arm holes were HUGE. Come to think of it, the whole thing was oversized....

:D What was I thinking? Maybe I should have gotten a clue when I pulled on my DD's size medium shirt the other day and it fit.

Ubergirl is no longer size XXL

Onederchic
07-09-2010, 12:05 AM
lol Yay!!! I still to this day get myself 2X shirts :o :D

calluna
07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Yay, Uber! Didja keep the receipt? How fun would it be to exchange it for something a FEW sizes smaller? :D

ubergirl
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
lol Yay!!! I still to this day get myself 2X shirts :o :D

LOL. Isn't that funny? Before I would have worried that "only" XXL would probably be too small-- I can't wrap my head around my body in a shirt without an X of any kind on it!! :D

Natasha1534
07-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I can't wait for that!!! :) I'm just excited to be down to a 2X that fits nicely instead of a 3X that is fitting snug!!! LOL

kendra
07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Wooohooo! Way to go!

steph15
07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
I can't wait for the day that I am no longer an xxl. Good for you!

duckyyellowfeet
07-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Congrats! what an awesome experience...plus it just shows how long it can take our minds to catch up with the new shape of our bodies ;)

chickybird
07-09-2010, 03:18 AM
that is awesome! Good for you!

Loving Me
07-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Lol Uber, that's so cool isn't it! A couple of months ago hubby and I were out shopping and I was looking for a waterproof jacket for the summer. I found a style I like and picked up an xl and hubby just looked at my agog. I put it on and it drowned me! So then I picked up the L and that was almost as bad! At this point I picked up the medium and thought, typical, this will be too small and I'll end up with no coat. Well that coat fit perfectly and hubby just started laughing at me. He said when are you going to get it in your head?
And do you know what, I wore that coat yesterday to go collect DD from school and it's getting big!
I wonder when our heads will catch up with our bodies?

catherinef
07-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Yeah, same here. I've internalized the fact that I do not need plus sizes, but I still gravitate towards the XLs, when Medium is where I should be starting. I think some of this is that sizing is SO inconsistent, I mean, among my Gap clothes, just to choose one store as an example, I've got everything from S to XL, and 8 to 14, and even one 16 in there (it's a coat, it's too big, but I figure I'll be wearing bulky sweaters under it come winter, so I'm OK with it). Still, XL is not where I should be looking, and I'm hoping that eventually sinks in.

jigglefree
07-09-2010, 06:39 AM
YAY Ubergirl!!! It happens to be be one of those things we have to constantly work on...our heads catching up with out bodies.

Beverlyjoy
07-09-2010, 08:07 AM
HOORAY

I totally identify with reaching for the larger size. It's wonderful that so many positive changes are taking place for you.

TXMary2
07-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Awesome!

time2lose
07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow, that is so great!

rockinrobin
07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Ahhh, you'll get used to it, you'll see. Does take a while though, I will admit.

XXL? Well, the XXXL's were tight on me. Now most SMALLS don't fit me. In fact Target is one of the good stores - they carry EXTRA smalls. Otherwise, it's baggy, baggy, baggy shirts for me. And nowadays - I like FITTED ones!

Yeah, right, adhering to a healthy lifestyle is a hardship and difficult - I don't thinkkkk soooooo. :D

Yet another delightful post Uber. Keep it up!!

ubergirl
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Glad so many of you can relate! I used to have trouble wearing 3Xs-- last summer, at my all time heaviest, I bought some 4Xs at Walmart.

The other day, I actually prowled around my daughters' room pulling on some of their shirts-- neither of them is as tall as me-- and it was just beyond weird to pull on these shirts that I've always thought of as teeny-tiny and have them fit.

rockinrobin
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
The other day, I actually prowled around my daughters' room pulling on some of their shirts-- neither of them is as tall as me-- and it was just beyond weird to pull on these shirts that I've always thought of as teeny-tiny and have them fit.

Yes, this was another amazement and joy for me. I - ME - ME - can now share clothing with my daughters!!

It really is something. :smug:

JayEll
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
This reminded me--sometimes when people complain about others not noticing their weight loss, it turns out they are still wearing those XXL clothes around. NO WONDER people aren't noticing! They are still covered up in the old look.

So, yeah, it is really wonderful to drop a bunch of X's on the top end and actually wear clothes that fit the new bod! :cheer2:

Jay

Shmead
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
This reminded me--sometimes when people complain about others not noticing their weight loss, it turns out they are still wearing those XXL clothes around. NO WONDER people aren't noticing! They are still covered up in the old look.

I have a list in my head of what I call "disciplines"--rules for living that keep me on plan. One of the big ones is "Wear clothes that fit!" I think that people don't see their OWN changes when they wait to go down a size. I also think that baggy clothes are demotivational--once they are baggy, they don't really get noticeably MORE baggy, and so it feels like you aren't going anywhere. Once I am maintaining, the "wear clothes that fit" will be another way to make sure I am not creeping up.

Of course, I'm not wealthy, so this means for the last year I've never had more than 5 or so tops that were wearable at any one time, and they've all come from thrift stores.

nelie
07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I actually have an opposite story about Target exercise shirts. I really like them for working out and they are inexpensive. So I was at Target a couple weeks ago grabbing some Large shirts. I grab about 3 of them and then I look at one of them and say "wow that is a tiny Large shirt". I was unhappy for a moment until I compared it to the other Large shirts. Turns out it must've been missized because I held it up to the small shirts and it was the same size. Only reason I really noticed is the shirt was considerably shorter than the other shirts.

Sandi
07-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Awesome!!!

Coondocks
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
You Rule!!!!

Im still struggling with sizing, I pick up 12's and 14's now thinking "Yeah right, that's way too small"
But it's not . . . . its still so strange to me.

Plumpie
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
WOO HOO UBERGIRL!

My favorite inspiration is clothes. For the longest time I didn't fit in the regular sizes and wasn't big enough for the big girl sizes - clothing limbo.

I don't even dare to dream what it might be like to be back in the regular sizes again...maybe one day.

Congrats again!

Plumpie

sept15lija
07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
YAY!! And thank you for a motivational post!! Clothes are a huge motivation for me....I am afraid of what will happen to our budget as I start dropping sizes, lol. Definitely thrift shops for a while!

ubergirl
07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I also think that baggy clothes are demotivational--once they are baggy, they don't really get noticeably MORE baggy, and so it feels like you aren't going anywhere.

You know-- you are SO RIGHT about that. I still wear some of my 3X shirts-- they're sort of formless or the armholes are too big, but I really don't think "oh I can't wear this it's too big."

Pants, it's more obvious because they fall right off, but shirts, there's a bit of a gray area there....

Athenacapella
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
hooray!

Mellington
07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Congrats to you :cheer2:

Shmead
07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
You know-- you are SO RIGHT about that. I still wear some of my 3X shirts-- they're sort of formless or the armholes are too big, but I really don't think "oh I can't wear this it's too big."

Pants, it's more obvious because they fall right off, but shirts, there's a bit of a gray area there....

Toss those puppies (or donate them if they are in decent shape) and go get you some medium tops--the type that are cut to go with your body, not against it. Really, for all that pants sizes are the gold standard, I think going down in shirt sizes makes the biggest difference in how we look. And nothing says "I hate my body please don't look at me" like a shirt 5 sizes too big.