Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Milk Supply?

I guess I just need a bit of reassurance...DD is 5 months old and EBF. I've been actively trying to lose weight for about 3 weeks now. Lately, she's wanting to nurse a lot more than before (she used to nurse every 2.5 hours or so, now she's around 2 hours). She's always been a decent sleeper, well, lately, she's been getting up every 2-3 hours to nurse (which was normal with my son but hasn't been for her). She's still having lots of wet and dirty diapers and is certainly happy during the day, I am just starting to doubt my supply....I know she's also at an age for developmental milestones which can lead to more nursing...anyhow if anyone noticed a problem with their milk supply, how did they notice it? I just can't decide if it's a milk supply issue or a developmental issue. I'm eating usually around 1400-1500 calories a day and I am not hungry...so I just can't believe I'm causing an issue, but I'm just not sure.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like she's going through a growth spurt. If she's not hungry and is happy then, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, maybe talk to a lactation consultant and see what they say.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

If it's coming out, it must be going in! You're doing fine, just keep hydrated and wait it out. You'll see her settle in after this growth spurt/blip in routine is over. Congrats on EBF!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like a growth spurt to me too.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I agree with the growth spurt, for us 5/6 months was a HUGE one. Although, I will say that 1400-1500 for an EBF mama is quite low and yes this can have an effect on your supply. This was just my experience but right around 3-6 months the weight just started falling off me from just nursing without dieting. Then I think I hit a plateau around 12 months and had to start watching what I ate more carefully to lose at all. But I didn't start actively dieting until we weened because I was pumping and nursing and keeping my supply up was hard enough as it was. If you're really concerned about your supply you could also try fenugreek, it's an herb that promotes milk supply. I used it and it made a really big difference for me. Good luck.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #6  

I was thinking growth spurt too, but she isn't 6 months until the 28th so it'd be early, but I have no doubt there's a range! Thanks for the thoughts ladies.

ncuneo - I was worried it might be a little low, maybe I'll make sure I get 1600 instead. I lost about 20 right after giving birth but then my weight loss stopped and I started gaining. I've never had an issue with supply and have been told by LC's that I had a lot of milk...but I'd like to keep it that way! Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #7  

I think you are eating too few calories, also. I nursed ten children and was always trying to lose weight. The dieting really does affect the supply. I wish I had know about the fenugreek back then. My youngest just turned 20. With the first 5 I wasn't overweight but it got worse as I got older and I think it was because of all the dieting.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #8  

carol - Wow 10 children!! Good for you! You may be right....my body did go through a shock no question, I was eating A LOT before starting this, which is why I was gaining. Perhaps I'll pick up some fenugreek; it wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #9  

It might make you smell like breakfast (maple syrup, to be exact) and if you're prone to it, it might put you into oversupply. I'd run it by the lc first. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I think if your milk supply is ok then you don't need in increase your calories. That's the danger of caloric intake being too low while bfing, decreased milk. If you're not having any problems then I say keep on doing what you're doing!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #11  

Hmmm yeah oversupply wouldn't be good either. I've had symptoms of that, too fast let down and DD choking on too much milk. You know I think I'll continue on, I think I would be hungry if it were an issue, and I'm not. Thanks again everyone....
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #12  
keep on keepin on

S/C/G: 239 highest 227//227/150

Height: 5'2"

This is so interesting. Can I ask if too few calories make the breastmilk like skim milk? This is what my midwife told me. See I'm not really afraid of my supply decreasing, I'm concerned about it not being as nutritious/fatty! Any thoughts? Sorry about the threadjak. I don't really have anyone to ask about these things! I didn't try to diet with my other children when I nursed, but I am gaining this time and I am not happy about that. Thanks!
airbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #13  

I have to highly recommend Kellymom.com (hope it's okay to do that) for any breastfeeding related questions. There are millions of resources on the main pages, and a forum for specifics.

What I've read and understood is that what you eat/don't eat can't really affect the composition of your breastmilk. Severe malnourishment could, but I doubt you're there. Eating too little or drinking too little affects the amount of milk produced, but the fats/vitamins, etc. should remain constant for your baby's needs.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #14  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I second kellymom, an absolute breastfeeding savior for information.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I agree with the growth spurt, for us 5/6 months was a HUGE one. Although, I will say that 1400-1500 for an EBF mama is quite low and yes this can have an effect on your supply. This was just my experience but right around 3-6 months the weight just started falling off me from just nursing without dieting. Then I think I hit a plateau around 12 months and had to start watching what I ate more carefully to lose at all. But I didn't start actively dieting until we weened because I was pumping and nursing and keeping my supply up was hard enough as it was. If you're really concerned about your supply you could also try fenugreek, it's an herb that promotes milk supply. I used it and it made a really big difference for me. Good luck.
That was the hardest growth spurt for us. It almost did me in on nursing with both girls and we managed to get beyond it, just barely! It may be a decent time to temporarily up your calories, as you are being drained of more of them than normal, but its up to you.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote