100 lb. Club - Calorie/Measurement Question

View Full Version : Calorie/Measurement Question

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
1 cup = 8 fluid ounces, yes? Does that apply to things like cauliflower and the such? Like if I am measuring a cup of cauliflower, do I measure out 8 ounces or what? :/

mandalinn82
07-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Fluid Ounces and Weight Ounces are different.

So, for example, 1/4 cup of water = 2 liquid ounces. But 1/4 cup of different substances may weigh different amounts (also ounces, but this time the weight kind, not the liquid kind).

If you want a cup of cauliflower, you want that measurement by volume. If you're using a weight-based calorie calculation (X calories per ounce), you want to use the weight.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow, I just got confused even more :o :lol:

The scale I have does ounces so about how many ounces would be in a cup of cauliflower? :/

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
I just found this do-dad via Google,http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/cooking-conversions-calculator.aspx, think it could be pretty accurate? From what I can tell, it shows 1 cup of cauliflower at around 3.5 ounces.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I just have to say if that is pretty accurate, talk about an eye opener for me. I have been measuring 1 cup of whatever I am eating at 8 ounces :o

mandalinn82
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Yep - ounces WEIGHT is different than LIQUID ounces.

A cup measure has 8 liquid ounces, but depending on what you are measuring, can weigh vastly different amounts. A cup of spinach weighs about 2.6 ounces. A cup of all purpose flour weighs 4.5 ounces. A cup of peanut butter weighs 9 ounces.

Liquid ounces (like in a cup measure) measure volume. Weight ounces measure weight.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Wow, I am glad to know this. Now maybe I will finally be able to get to goal since I can calculate my calories a bit better :o :lol:

Thanks Amanda :D :hug:

TXMary2
07-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I try to find the calories per ounce and weigh versus using a measuring cup. I figure going by weight is going to be more accurate. Cauliflower is 12.4 calories per ounce so 3.5 weighed ounces is only going to be about 43 calories.

Shmead
07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
You may find it easier just to switch your scale over to grams (there should be a way to toggle units). Every nutritional label I've seen gives the gram weight of a serving in additional to volume, and there is no ambiguity.

(This, BTW, is one of the reasons the metric system is really better)

ubergirl
07-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I find measuring stuff like strawberries and cauliflower by the cup to be really confusing-- because they don't fit right in the cup! Weight is easier.

caryesings
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Hmm, wondering if you've just stumbled on another explanation for folks that are sure they are eating a low amount of calories but not losing...

jigglefree
07-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I know I've been underestimating my calories. I may be farther along had I had this information. I have been measuring everything the same on my digital scale. Like 8oz of watermelon=1cup. WOW!! What an enlightening moment. I have been eating more than I thought I have.

Slim CB
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I am confused guys. Please bear with me. So if I am eating a cup of rice, should I use my measuring cup and fill it up to 8 ounces or should I buy a food scale?

Shmead
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Fluid ounces and weight ounces are completely unrelated. It's like if a gallon was called a "fluid foot", so a person might be 5 feet tall and carrying 5 "fluid feet" of water, but those two quantities would have no relationship to each other.

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon, but a gallon of water weighs 133 ounces.

A gallon of rice would weigh many fewer ounces, but still be 128 fluid ounces because it would take up the same space.

Usually when something is given in "fluid ounces" it will SAY fluid ounces, and if it just says "ounces", they mean dry, or weight, ounces. But you have to use common sense.

One dry/weight ounce weighs 28 grams, so you can use that to check.

The best thing you can do, IMHO, is just switch to 1) all weight and 2) all metric. This confusing crap is why they rest of the world thinks we are just being pig-headed about metric.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I am trying to weigh just in ounces and not by cups but let's say for example, when I go to add my calories on my do-dad for the day and it reads 1 cup cauliflower, I need to know how many ounces in that "cup" of cauliflower so I can be sure I am calculating correctly. On the site I use, it reads 1 cup of cauliflower as 25 calories, is that too incorrect? I am so confused again :/

mandalinn82
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
You just need to choose whether you are measuring by WEIGHT or by VOLUME.

Cups are a measure of volume. If you are working with a calorie number given for a volume/cup measurement, you measure in cups. Ignore liquid ounces for now - they're just another way to express volume.

Ounces and grams are a measure of weight. If you are working with a calorie number given for grams or ounces, measure by weight.

If you want to measure your cauliflower by weight, find calories given for cauliflower by weight (such as 25 calories per 3.5 ounces or 25 calories per 100 grams) and use those. If you want to measure your cauliflower by volume , find calories given for cauliflower by volume (such as 25 calories per cup) and use those.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks Amanda. I think I will find a way to do it by weight, seems much easier since that is how my scale weighs :D

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know of a food logging site that has calories for ounces and not cups and the such? I use sparkpeople and it doesn't seem to have that for most things I eat :o :|

mandalinn82
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
CalorieKing will let you look up foods and show you calories/weight. For example, here's the entry for cauliflower:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-cauliflower-raw-edible-portion_f-Y2lkPTE0Nzc1JmJpZD0xJmZpZD02MzI5NCZlaWQ9NTcwNTQyMz k1JnBvcz0xJnBhcj0ma2V5PWNhdWxpZmxvd2Vy.html

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Amanda, you are the bestest!! Thanks :D :hug:

Shannon in ATL
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
The Daily Plate has some of that info, too. Also, Nutrition Data.com (http://nutritiondata.self.com/) has it as well.

eclipse
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
The Daily Plate usually has calories for items by both volume and mass.

For me, I usually use mass (grams or weight oz) for solid items, and volume (fluid oz) for liquid items. If you think about it, even with something like rice, how much fits in one cup measuring cup is wholly dependant upon things like - how the rice settles in the cup, how tightly packed it is, etc. And things that are in big chunks, like strawberries - well, forget about it. It depends on how big the berries are and how well they fit together, and how much empty space is left between them, and if some are buldging from the top.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
The Daily Plate has some of that info, too. Also, Nutrition Data.com (http://nutritiondata.self.com/) has it as well.

Thanks, I will check them out!

Rochester
07-08-2010, 01:59 PM
This thread has made my brain hurt. I am so not a math girl. :lol:

I'm just wondering...does this mean sparkpeople is wrong? Like, if I stick a bunch of strawberries in a one cup measuring cup and log it on sparkpeople as a cup, are the numbers wrong? :?:

eclipse
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
This thread has made my brain hurt. I am so not a math girl. :lol:

I'm just wondering...does this mean sparkpeople is wrong? Like, if I stick a bunch of strawberries in a one cup measuring cup and log it on sparkpeople as a cup, are the numbers wrong? :?:

Probably. There's just no way of knowing how many strawberries fit in a cup - it's not going to be consistent. If you're losing weight at a decent pace, then however your measuring is accurate enough for you, for now. If you're stuck, though, this could be a place to look for errors.

Onederchic
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I am just gonna say that for me, now I will be weighing only in weight. Seems the easiest and best option for me :D