Weight Loss Support - Heat Wave

View Full Version : Heat Wave

Lilstarrs
07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
So, it was 102 degrees in New York City today and even now that the sun is down it's still 90 degrees.

For me, this has utterly DESTROYED my plan, both yesterday and today, so I am having a really hard time getting back on track. I don't belong to a gym, and I have been doing all of my exercising in my living room, either with Exercise On Demand, or one of my various yoga tapes.

To top it off, we didn't want to turn our oven on so we ordered chinese food -- I had brown rice with chicken and broccoli, which isn't the worst, but then I caved and had some ice cream about two hours ago.

This heat! It's killing me! The lethargy is pervasive and even with my air conditioner on I am still uncomfortably warm.

Ugh. I just feel disgusting. Anyone else suffering in the heat right now like I am?

Words of encouragement or tips and tricks for staying healthy when to do so might mean not exercising for a day or two would be most welcome!

shortstuff17
07-07-2010, 12:18 AM
it's hot here too. I usually wait til later in the day then suck it up and go do my thing. Sounds like the heat is really bothering you though, is there a pool or lake you can go to? Water exercising burns lots of calories. Ps...if you want a cool treat, try freezing yogurt or fruit, less calories than ice cream :)

skygirl
07-07-2010, 12:18 AM
i totally hear you, this heat and humidity have been so severe. :dizzy: is there any way you could go for a walk really early in the morning, when there is still the benefit of the cooling down that hapens at night (however slight a cool down that is)? and is there any possibility you could cook only once or twice a week and make enough to last for several days so that the oven use would be minimal? good luck and stay cool! :cool:

clickit
07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Yep! I'm over here in RI, practically melting! It went up to 101 in Providence today. The worse thing is that I don't have an air conditioner right now! *Wipes sweat off forehead*

Elladorine
07-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm over in Vegas. Since it's the desert here it gets pretty hot (regularly hits well over 100 in the summer) and most of the heat lingers after the sun has gone down (it's after 9 pm right now but is still at 94). I'm still not exactly used to it, :dizzy: my previous home was in Wisconsin! :lol:

We do have AC but it can't always keep up with the heat. To keep cool I take extra showers and find large indoor places to take brisk walks in, like Wal-mart or the mall. I also tend to make cold meals that don't require cooking, like big salads and healthy sandwiches.

Oh, and of course be sure to drink extra water to keep hydrated. :)

nelie
07-07-2010, 09:10 AM
it reached 103 in DC yesterday but I'm actually liking the heat. I find the more I'm out in the heat, the better I do. Although heat + sun is a bit much.

Stay well hydrated, try to keep cool with a hat when you do go outside, eat sandwiches, salads, etc although I tend to cook just not with the oven from basically late spring to early fall.

I do plan to exercise today outside but since most of my exercise is outside, I'm used to it.

Losing It 2010
07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I am in TN and it stays hot here (not like Vegas though) all summer. It's hard to stay on track when all you think about is the heat..in 4 mos we will be cooling off again..

ubergirl
07-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Take heart. Believe it or not, AC is considered to be one of the underlying causes of the increase in obesity. Why? Because people don't feel like eating as much when they are hot, so before AC was prevalent, people used to gain a little in winter and then lose it in summer. It's really hot where I am too, and I did exercise last night, but I found it difficult....

But foodwise-- heat is NOT a reason to go off plan. You'll feel better if you eat light and cool foods. Last night I had plain yogurt and berries for dinner. It was delish and I couldn't bear the thought of eating anything heavier. In stead of chinese, you could slice up crisp veggies with hummus and sugar free popsicles will cool you down just as well as ice cream.

On your weight loss journey, you'll always have to face inconvenience-- extremes of weather, travel, stress, etc. To succeed, you just need to get creative.

Hang tight.

rockinrobin
07-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Oh yeah, the heat is brutal.

But it's waaaaay better now than when I was overweight. Like by a million percentage points.

I walked this morning at 7:30, walked last night at about 9. And of course did my resistance training at home, in the AC.

I also am keeping that oven off as much as possible. Big salads and more big salads do the trick just fine. Chinese food? Waaay too heavy if you ask me. I definitely think those salads are the way to go. Also thin cutlets and fish cook real quickly, that is on tap for the upcoming weekend.

It's really about finding ways around the obstacles, because there will ALWAYS be some sort of obstacle in the way. But luckily for each and every obstacle - there is a solution.

"If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way, if not, you'll find an excuse". Love that quote, yes, coming from me the former queen of excuses. :)

TJFitnessDiva
07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
We've had a break from the triple digit heat since these tropical waves/storms are coming through the gulf....I'd so rather the heat since oil clean up is minimal since the seas are rough but that's a different thread lol

I do a lot of water based exercise, indoors on my elliptical, DVDs, etc and if I want to do anything outdoors then it's early in the morning when it's coolest.

To keep the house cool we keep the blinds closed and we grill a lot for dinner. :)

susiemartin
07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
It's HOT :devil: here too.

The only way I'm able to get some morning exercise is by getting up at 5:30 and out the door by 6:00.
The cool of the morning is the best its going to be all day, so that when I garden or walk.

In so far as food - I cook in the morning & eat it cold later.

chnkymonkey
07-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I was just in NYC on Sun/Mon. Stayed near Grand Central Station. Walked just about everywhere. Sunday night I walked down to 34th street and the water to catch the fire works and walked back. Monday I walked up to Rock Center, then down to the Empire State building then over to Penn station to catch a bus down to Battery park. Walked around downtown for a few hours then caught a bus back to Pennstation, then walked back to my hotel before getting my luggage and heading to the airport to catch an evening flight home.

I really enjoyed myself. Over the weekend I was up there I lost 3lbs.

I stayed in the shade, stayed hydrated and really enjoyed my day.

The one thing I noticed is the AC in NYC is kept at a comfortable temp. Here in FL the keep it frigged cold so its hard to go from 68-70 inside to 100 outside. Also, our humidity is so much higher. 95 in NYC was dry and so much easier for me to handle than 95 in FL.

I was really amazed while riding the bus to find people getting on and back off a block or two later. (and not in business clothes or dressed up). Come on people - walk the block or two.

rockinrobin
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I stayed in the shade, stayed hydrated and really enjoyed my day.

The one thing I noticed is the AC in NYC is kept at a comfortable temp. Here in FL the keep it frigged cold so its hard to go from 68-70 inside to 100 outside. Also, our humidity is so much higher. 95 in NYC was dry and so much easier for me to handle than 95 in FL.

The humidity is usually awful this time of year here in NYC, so it has been a blessing that th humidity has been relatively low. Makes it SO much more tolerable. Every time I get outside I think to myself, "this really isn't all that bad." I do hear that that is going to change though as the humidity is headed our way.

Glory87
07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
A great cold snack is frozen fruit - mangos and dark cherries are my special favorites.

You chose to eat ice cream - that is a choice you make. You can make other choices.

Your old habit was to eat ice cream if you felt hot, if you want to lose weight, you have to create new habits. It's like a groove in a record, time to move the needle, make a new groove.

kateleestar
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
We grill every day when it's this hot.. It's only supposed to be 95 here today, though. :)

And I'm making fish tacos tonight, so.. grill - here I come! ;)

Losing It 2010
07-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I found this on another website and thought it was interesting, the difference between winter and summer, cold and hot in reference to calories and weight.

If you spent a lot of time outdoors, with poorly protective clothes, yes, you would want to eat more calories. When your cold your body shivers to increase body heat. This causes more calories to burn than if you were inside a warm room. But since we don't typically spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter (which is why you're more likely to get sick, by the way), and when we are outside, we bundle up, the increase in shivering isn't enough to cause you to burn significantly more calories, so you don't want to eat more.

In the summer, a different effect occurs. Being outside in the heat causes you to sweat more. The weight loss that people tend to see in the summer is primarily from dehydration, which can be deadly. And that to the increase in exercise from playing around outdoors, and you can see where it's easier to lose weight in the summer than the winter, when we're more stationary.

kittycat40
07-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Glory, ya got me!! I have ice cream in the house for my children and play dates and whatnot. That does NOT mean I am supposed to be eating it no matter how hot (or grouchy) I get in the heat.
We ALSO have red grapes. I will be getting THOSE into the freezer as well :):):)

Lilstarrs
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
You know what's funny? I didn't even count walking as exercise. I walk from 57th to 72nd street twice a day on work days, and I skip the subway altogether when I can because I think it's sooo gross in the summer -- I'm not one of those New Yorkers who hops on the bus for 2 stops and gets off again. But I don't think about it as exercise, it's just how the vast majority of us get around.

You guys are all right about the chinese food and the ice cream. Luckily, even WITH those foods, I only got up to about 1500 calories for the day, so I don't think it's that huge a setback. But you know what I do notice? I felt really gross and bloated this morning when I woke up, and it's been weeks since I felt that way and I know it's directly related to the food I ate last night. That'll teach me, to be sure.

In terms of solutions, til this heat wave breaks, I'm just going to play my yoga DVD on my laptop and do my yoga in my bedroom, which means I'll have to rearrange a few things, but I think I can make the space.

Now. Food.

Ugh.

Guys, I hate cooking. I hate cooking and I hate grocery shopping and I would rather just go to restaurants all summer. Ha. Right. Like I can afford it.
(Now I'm just whining -- forgive me).

Oooh, maybe I will order from freshdirect! They have fabulous, nutritious low-cal meals... hmmm...

caryesings
07-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm one of those folks who loses my appetite when I get hot so these heat waves actually help me a bit. However once it gets over 100, I do skip my outside exercise but that's when I turn to the DVDs.

saef
07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
You need some options other than exercising in your living room. Otherwise, if your routine is disrupted, as it was by this heat, you have to give up entirely, because you've got no alternatives planned.

When I first started losing weight, I had the opposite issue: I walked several miles out of doors. Bad weather kept throwing me for a loop. And I was determined to exercise every day, so I had to work out alternatives. (I couldn't exercise in my living room, unlike you, because I lived over my landlord, an irritable older lady who heard every noise I made overhead, from my squeaky kitchen drawer that swelled in the humidity to my microwave pinging when it finished a cooking cycle.)

I'd spring for a pay-as-you-go yoga class held at some nearby airconditioned studio. Or start checking into gym or YMCA memberships. There was an article in the Times this past weekend about hotels that let you use their pools for a fee. One day or two during a day over 100 degrees is a splurge but a rate treat. (Kind of like ... dare I say ... a splurge on ice cream.)

I would not get takeout Chinese. I'd go to a good deli with a big cold salad bar & assemble my plastic container there. One container of savory stuff & another of cool delicious fruit, like watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, sliced strawberries.

Onederchic
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I am from Tennessee where the humidity can be unbearable a lot of the time and since I moved to New York (well, maybe losing 158 pounds has helped some too :p) the heat here has not been too much for me until this week. The past 3 days, today included, have been too much for me. Monday, I made it through all my workouts but felt like I was gonna vomit and/or pass out before I had finished up my last mile on the treadmill. Tuesday, luckily, was my day of rest and today I have opted to do just 40 minutes of HIIT upon waking. We live in a double wide, the only AC is a little floor model that does nothing and it was close to 90 degrees inside here when I woke. Maybe I am using the heat as an excuse but I can live with that but I won't veer off my eating plan. This past week I have stayed under 1500 calories and if I make it through the end of today, it will be a complete 7 days I stayed completely on plan with my food so for that I am happy.

You've gotten some great advice here from the others and though I don't have any to offer, I just wanted to let ya know I sympathize with ya on the heat issue :hug::hug:

Vladadog
07-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I moved to Vermont to get away from heat like this. I don't handle heat well at all and losing weight hasn't helped.

Pretty much I only want to eat cool things - yogurt and berries, salad, and gallons of water. But I am craving salt too which is unusual for me and I think must have something to do with the heat and salt loss from sweating.

mthrgoos68
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I live in Arizona, where the normal summer temperatures are 115-120, and it doesn't cool down at night. It stays close to 100 even in the middle of the night. You can't use the heat as an excuse to get off track, you just have to use it to your advantage.
Summer foods and fruits, lots of grilling, and water exercise. I walk 3 miles every morning, even in the heat, and I just usually think of it as sweating off extra calories, but I know that's not for everyone.
You've gotten lots of great advice here, I just wanted to throw in my encouragement and let you know that you don't have to let summer get in your way.

souvenirdarling
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Is it really that much cooler in Vermont?

In Montreal, it's 96 with the weather network saying the humidity makes it feel like 106.

I can't wait to get to work!

Vladadog
07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
No, it's not cooler in Vermont. Record breaking yesterday (mid 90's) and close to it today (more mid 90s). Maybe a break to the low 90's tomorrow. But I moved north 30 years ago from south eastern Pennsylvania where hot humid weather lasts all summer long.

I would not survive places like Arizona (even if it is a "dry heat").

sweetnlow28
07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I wanted to give a shout from here in Ontario. Its hot as heck here too! LOL. The humidity is really bad right now and with the humidex its 41C (106 f). I did manage to workout in my basement last night with a big fan blowing at me. I made a joke to my husband that is sweat really did make you lose weight I would be down 40 pounds :) Do you have a barbecue? We cook most of our dinners on the grill when its hot. Mind you, we have an air conditioner in the window but it works really hard in this heat. Yesterday I made 10 calorie slushies with ice and crystal light in a blender. Stay cool and try not to let the heat throw you off track.

koceank29
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Its hot here until September so I guess I'm used to it and enjoy it, just means I'll sweat more during exercise. Try to get out early and then as the day goes on your body will adjust rather than going straight from AC to hot and just drink tons of H2O and find some water to play in. I hear you on the oven thing, we try to not use it during the summer and stick to grilling or stove cooking.

Glory87
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Y'all can all come visit me in San Diego. It was overcast and 65 yesterday.

I'm from Dallas, sometimes I miss the warm summer nights. As soon as the sun goes down in San Diego, I put on a sweater!!

Lilstarrs
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
That's it, Glory, you've sold me -- I'm moving to San Diego! Overcast and 65 is my favorite weather lol

nelie
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Oh don't be fooled, I've been in San Diego plenty of times where it was 95+ degrees with high humidity :)

Yesterday I worked out at 5pm and it was 103 degrees. Minimal AC but huge fan blowing on us.

dragonwoman64
07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm in Brooklyn, so I hear you with this horrendous heatwave. The Y can be a great way to go, it's pretty cheap here (don't know what your work schedule is, but if you can go off hours, the rate is even lower). And if you don't want the monthly membership, you can take individual classes for small fees. Some have pools (the Atlantic Avenue one in Brooklyn is a nice, big one.)

One food thing I do is to get a prepared salad from the local deli and have them put a grilled chicken breast on top. sometimes that lasts me two meals.

they can be pricey, but the farmers markets all over the place (union square) can be a great place to get fruits/veggies. Now we have all these trader joes, and they're a good place to get stuff. if you compare it to buying even cheap restaurant food, like Chinese, you'd probably still be saving money at the farmers market/trader joes.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
You can buy premade bags of salads & coleslaws now; just add dressing and a grilled piece of lean meat -- lean chicken, turkey, beef, or burgers, etc. You can also cook in the morning or evening; lots of folks here do that and just re-heat in the microwave.

I pick up deli BBQ spit chicken and salads of all kinds. I totally change my menu for summertime. I eat salad every day; two different kinds. Don't forget cooked deli meats & salads; make a nice whole grain bunwich with lettuce & tomatoes or sliced baby cukes. We can get 454 gram salads here for under $2.00 each: like different kinds of pasta, potato, cabbage slaw, etc.

Nothing like frozen fruit to cool you down; and we buy low-fat yogurt icecream here and have it in a cone or small pretty dish. Also yogurt is nice over fruit too.

yhahmd
07-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Ugh, tell me about it. My AC pooped out, too. I still exercised, though, but cut the time down drastically and drank tons of water, took breaks in between to cool down so I wouldn't get sick. The heat definitely did put a damper on my plans for this week.

JMfan
07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I hear ya!

This heat is ridiculous but everything is on track thus far. I'm like super sweaty and super gross during my workouts. Still hafta cook tho. I'm soooooo close to sprawling out the old takeout menus....