1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste OR fresh chopped tomato
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon curry powder
celery salt and other seasoning to taste, optional
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water

Directions:
1 Steam chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. When chicken is properly steamed and appears brown, add the onion, pepper, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, curry powder, seasoning to taste and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix all together, then add 1/4 cup water for the ingredients to steam. Steam all together about 5 more minutes.
Makes 6 servings

Giggles
06-05-2000, 02:12 AM
That Girl,

This sounds so fascinating, but I don't know how to steam a chicken. I can figure that out, but I didn't understand about the added spices. Are they supposed to be added to the water being used to steam the chicken, so that no spice is actually applied directly to the chicken? And is the another East Indian dish?

ThatGirl
06-05-2000, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what is meant by steam exactly but I usually just brown the chicken and then put a top on the pan, turn it down, and cook it till it's done...no water. The chicken juices are what steams the chicken. I then add the rest of the stuff. That's how I understood the recipe. I'm not sure where in India this recipe comes from. I have an Indian neighbor and she gave me a fantastic cookbook and this recipe a few years ago. She also gave me a wooden spoon with a VERY long handle that was hand made in India. I LOVE to cook with it...it makes me feel like a great Chef...LOL

Vanessa