100 lb. Club - Overweight people freezing the thin folk?

Onederchic
07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't agree with this article but wanted to share for thoughts and the such.

Beginning of the article -

"Obesity is hot these days -- it's all over the news. Take the unprecedented media coverage of Michelle "Let's Move" Obama's continuing war on childhood obesity: She's (thankfully) getting a ton of play in her quest to end the malnutrition devastating the lives of millions of American kids."

Entire article here - http://www.suntimes.com/news/cepeda/2413320,CST-EDT-esther21.article

MissKelly
07-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Shame on her. That "Journalist" is a ^&#$&@ offensive, pompous, nut job. There are just no words beyond that. :nono:

TJFitnessDiva
07-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh wow.....that article looked like my 6 year old son wrote it :P

MissKelly
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh wow.....that article looked like my 6 year old son wrote it :P

I bet your 6 year old has more sense than that woman who wrote it! ;)

TJFitnessDiva
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
He does but he has about as much tact as she does lol

HokieLoki
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
haha!! When I was skinny, during the summer (in the South, nonetheless) I would always carry a thick hoodie around to wear in restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores, and anywhere else that blasted the a/c so bad. If I didn't, I was miserable.

not so much a problem now.

Jo Kittibuck
07-03-2010, 08:27 PM
So... her entire argument is that the air condition in public places is too cold for her liking, so it must be the fault of fat people?

:dizzy:

CanadianCutie
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, just wow... I don't know what else to say.

Rochester
07-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I hate air conditioning and I am uncomfortably cold everywhere I go. As a COLD FAT person I'd really like to write her a letter and tell her that her assumption is absurd!

GoldenLeaf
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I've always felt too cold in airconditioned spaces no matter what weight I am. I'm the kind of person that takes a jacket everywhere I go in summer because of it. It's true I find summer more uncomfortable as a fat person but that's more because I don't wear the skimpy clothes I used to - I still don't like cold airconditioning though.

sept15lija
07-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I hate air conditioning and I am uncomfortably cold everywhere I go. As a COLD FAT person I'd really like to write her a letter and tell her that her assumption is absurd!

Yup, same here! Her logic is anything but.

astrophe
07-03-2010, 09:43 PM
That was sort of silly. Were they hurting for copy? That sounds more like a ranty blog post than an editorial in a real paper.

A.

ubergirl
07-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes. I agree that that's crazy! I'm often uncomfortably cold in public spaces, but that was true for me when I was morbidly obese too.

Air-conditioning is BECAUSE of fat people? I don't think so!

souvenirdarling
07-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Air conditioning is blasted in those public places to discourage loiterers. To get them to BUY more.

It's cold because the people WORKING at those stores are MOVING and STRESSED. Its for us, not you, you silly inconsiderate client :) (And you had better not ask me to change the music!!!)

It is also remarkable complicated and annoying and expensive to calculate difuser placement and cooling systems and drafts caused by obstructions. I learned how to do that last semester.

Jilu
07-03-2010, 11:44 PM
My mom (who has never worn a size larger than a 2) sent me this article earlier today.

Until I moved out, she always kept the air conditioning on and I would come right behind her and cut it off.

So, skinny person who is always hot versus overweight person (and all my average sized siblings) freezing and turning it off. I'm half convinced that's why she moved to waaaaaaay north Alaska.

SarahD140
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
pathetic, with a nonsensical segway.

matt_H
07-04-2010, 12:19 AM
wow. I can't believe that actually got published.

kaplods
07-04-2010, 12:24 AM
This is simply ridiculous.

For as long as I can remember (regardless of size) I've hated the way many stores, especially malls did their heating and cooling. Hotter than Blazes in the winter, and colder than an iceberg in the Summer.

If the over-air conditioned Summer temperatures can be blamed on fat people, do we blame the Winter heat wave on the thin people?

klambeth82
07-04-2010, 01:28 AM
That was the biggest bunch of bull#$%* I have ever read. I feel less intelligent for having read it. :censored:

Rosinante
07-04-2010, 03:44 AM
It's quite hard to be offended by the piece as it's so badly written. I mean, it's not even properly venomous. D- at best.

What a weird assumption - that a/c is because of fat people?

And I promised myself that I wouldn't make any personal comments about her photos but - I hope that when I'm done losing weight I don't end up with a face like a horse. Just saying.

asharksrevenge
07-04-2010, 05:00 AM
And I promised myself that I wouldn't make any personal comments about her photos but - I hope that when I'm done losing weight I don't end up with a face like a horse. Just saying.

Ha ha ha, I was thinking the same thing! What a f&*%king clown this woman is. I've decided to write her an email and tell her so. I didn't get two degrees in English to have to read that level of garbage. And she had the audacity to label it satire, even including a definition she found from--you guessed it--Wikipedia. Does anyone take this horse's (face) seriously?

Rosinante
07-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Does anyone take this horse's (face) seriously?

(my bold) Haha, love it!

Eliana
07-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Um...how about women with hot flashes? Just wait, Honey! :rofl:

Absurd...

rachael
07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
That was really poorly written and filled with logical fallacies. And since her horse face has already been brought up, perhaps her next article can be about how attractive people cause there to be too many mirrors in public, forcing her to look at her ugly face all the time.

Aclai4067
07-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with her that businesses over-air condition, I disagree about fat people being the cause of that. I'm always cold, colder than my healthy weight father and sister. I keep hearing that you get colder when you lose weight. I don't know how I'll handle that. I'll have to move to the equator!

Arctic Mama
07-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah, it's not what I'd consider high brow journalism, or personal decency. Some opinions don't deserve to be aired and that is one of them. She has a right to say it, and thus reveal herself for the ignorant bigot she is on this subject.

susiemartin
07-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Maybe she's cold all the time because she's an inactive slug.

JulieJ08
07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I've always been too cold, whether fat or not.

And the A/C is, in fact, a factor in places losing my business. I have a number of reasons for eating out less, but A/C is one of them. It's just miserable.

Onederchic
07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
That was really poorly written and filled with logical fallacies. And since her horse face has already been brought up, perhaps her next article can be about how attractive people cause there to be too many mirrors in public, forcing her to look at her ugly face all the time.

:lol::lol: