Weight Loss Support - How common is weight loss, strange topic ;)

sweetnlow28
07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Something has occurred to me over the last few weeks and I wanted to share how I feel but it is hard to find the right words to explain it :dizzy:

Do you personally know a lot of people who have successfully lost a lot of weight and maintained? Were they your friends before or did you meet them because your common goal is weight loss. Have you ever told a stranger how much weight you lost only to have them act absolutely amazed like you did the impossible? I wonder how much of the overweight population have successfully lost a large amount of weight and if it really is a common occurrence. Judging by people's reactions of my accomplishment, I honestly don't think they have ever met someone who has done it before.
When we all come here to support each other and vent, we are surrounded by people with a common goal and losing large amounts of weight seems like the "norm" Don't get me wrong, everyone's accomplishments are truly amazing and inspiring but it's almost like we become just a little desensitized to the "wonder" others have about people who can lose a lot of weight because we are surrounded by successful stories. I wonder if I am making any sense LOl :dizzy:

Maybe I just don't know that many people but aside from this forum, I feel pretty unique by losing so much weight. This post was brought on by the fact that I shared my loss with a couple strangers over the last few days. This older man was so happy for me he had to shake my hand. He was absolutely amazed like he almost couldn't believe it. I would surely think he would have seen several people lose weight over his 70 years or so. The other person had a similar reaction. Maybe I am just over thinking things but I wonder if losing a lot of weight is really all that common :?:

Forgive me if I am just rambling LOL I tend to do that sometimes. ;)

yhahmd
07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I only know one person. She was probably 200 something last time I saw her, and now she's dropped 50lb from an appetite suppresent. Otherwise, I don't know anyone. That is weird!

ImpalaHoarder
07-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I don't know anyone. People who knew me when I was really fat keep asking me astonishedly what my secret is. I just keep saying "eat less and exercise more". It's amazing how simple it is in theory but how few people actually manage to pull it off. That's why this site is so great- it really makes weight loss seem attainable and even commonplace.

TJFitnessDiva
07-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I have met a few people that have lost weight through surgery but one is already gaining weight back (only reason I know because she calls me to complain)

Vladadog
07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
My best girlfriend's college roommate lost over 100 (via surgery) and has kept it off for more than 5 years.

And I have one friend who was thin when I met her 20 years ago (and is still thin) but she says she was overweight in her early 20's. But I don't know how overweight she actually was.

But that's the sum total of all the people I know who have lost weight and kept it off (other than folks here.)

motivated chickie
07-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I know people in OA who successfully lost 100+ pounds and kept it off. But outside of that, I don't know anyone else. My mom has battled obesity all her life and I have seen her lose 60+ pounds and regain it several times. Currently she is obese, but not at her highest weight.

I think losing and keeping the weight off is a rare thing. Fortunately, there are plenty of people on 3FC who have done it.

saram
07-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Now that you mention it...I don't know anyone either - except for 4 people who have done it through surgery. That is not very uplifting. I guess we have to change that!!!

Rochester
07-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I have a friend who lost 150# with surgery, but has gained back about 100#. And I also know a man who lost a lot (don't know how much) with surgery, and another man who lost over 200# (and went on to run the Boston Marathon). I think, in general, it's pretty rare, though. And that's sad considering that 7 out of 10 people are overweight or obese!

Heather
07-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I know several people who've lost a lot, but gained it back.

So, other than people I've met from here, nope!!

KforKitty
07-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I know two other people who have lost as much weight as I have and both had bypass surgery. Other than them I am unique (at least I hope I am and do keep it off but its nearly 10 month since I reached my goal.

Kitty

Serbrider
07-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I know multiple people.

My Dad went from 250+ to now maintaining at around 180. He could still stand to lose some more, but he's healthy, decently fit, and, despite his large gut (which was NOT from beer), fine. He's been maintaining for the past five years.

One guy my age went from being a chubby kid to being a slim and fit guy... he's been maintaining for the past two years.

I think I'm the ONLY person I've met who has yoyo'd.

gardenerjoy
07-03-2010, 01:58 PM
The studies on weight loss and maintenance are depressing. There's a book Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss—and the Myths and Realities of Dieting by Gina Kolata that goes into that. As I recall, the best losers only lose about 10% of their weight and, even then, the majority don't keep it off. The best part of that reading experience, for me, turned out to be reading the discussion about the book that's in the Maintainer's section of 3FC. The book says that they couldn't do what, in fact, most of them had done -- lost weight and kept it off!

One point that was made in the Maintainers thread is that scientific studies on weight loss bring people in, give them a diet and varying amounts of support. They are generally testing either the diet or the type of support. What hasn't been done, because it's too hard to control the variables, is study people who choose their own plans, and then tweak it to suit their own lives. That seems to be a secret to success.

More encouraging news can be gleaned from the success stories at 3FC and the findings at the National Weight Control Registry: http://www.nwcr.ws/

bargoo
07-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I have lost over 86 pounds and maintained for 18 months, My son has lost over 200 pounds. Go to the maintainers forum, you see a lot of success stories. Also the Success Stories in the Goal Forum is full of fantastic stries of weight loss.

sept15lija
07-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I know quite a few people.

My DH for one, he went from 240 to 185, and he's done great with maintaining, usually within 5 pounds of his goal weight of 185.

Both of my sisters were around 200 at some point, one is now 140 or so and the other is 130, and both have maintained for years.

My sister in law lost about 100 pounds, and has gained about 40 back, but still she's done great.

And here I am, trying again, I've gone up and down. I can't wait to join their ranks of success with maintaining weight loss.

Eliana
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I understand your post! :D I've thought about this myself. We are definitely in a unique bubble here at 3FC. Isn't it marvelous?

I've known people who have lost significant amounts of weight, but they all gained it back.

Bunti
07-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I have several friends who have lost weight and kept it off. I also have several friends and multiple acquaintances (sp) who have regained much of the lost weight, whether from diet or surgery or both. It seems to me to be that those who kept it off have realized they needed a new eating lifestyle, those who didn't, went back to old habits.....often because they "deserved a break". Of course weight issues are more complex than "habit", but it's part of it.
If healthy eating becomes a habit, I think that with "a break", one jumps right back on the healthy eating track.

If it is perceived as a short term fix, then the weight comes right back on. (at least this is my personal experience-the difference betweeen what I am doing now, and in the past is I am treating myself with on plan treats when I feel the urge, and non-food treats more often than not!!)

srmb60
07-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's food for thought. I work with a gal who has lost around 40 lbs and maintained that for 6 or 7 years. She doesn't tell people about it. The only reason she told me is because I've lost weight.
Why? She is ashamed of the weight she'd gained and doesn't want to draw attention to that. There's no way she'll ever be any kind of statistic because she's not talking to anyone. And I'll bet she's not the only one who feels that way.

Besides her, yes I know a few ... mostly in the neighbourhood of 30 or 40 lbs lost. One I'm thinking of has got to be over 20 years now and she's retired. So it didn't seem to matter that she lost in her 40's.

Heather
07-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Susan's post jogged my memory. Actually, I do know 2 people who lost significant weight -- about 50 pounds each -- and kept it off. Both of them lost the weight when they were in their early 20s, before I knew them. Neither of them mention it much!

ncuneo
07-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Sadly no, I don't know anyone who has lost as much weight as me and kept it off. I really wish I did because it would be nice to have someone I could talk to in "real" life. Don't get me wrong, 3FC is wonderful and inspiring and proof that weight loss can be permanent and the support I get here is amazing, but being able to talk to people in my non internet life about this stuff would be great.

Aclai4067
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I have a guy friend who lost 60 lbs and has maintained it for about 2 years now. I have a female friend who lost about 40 around the same time as my guy friend, she's gained back about 15. And another female friend who has kept off 55 lbs since December.

kaplods
07-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Not all that long ago (maybe a year), I was griping to my doctor about my slow weight loss, and that I "should be able to lose at least two pounds a week, like most people."

He responded with something like "Where did you hear that nonsense," and proceeded to lecture me on the myths of "most people."

I don't remember any statistics he threw out, but his point was the most people fail at weight loss, because they don't stick with it. Even a loss of one pound a month surpasses "most people" if you maintain those losses. He also told me to remember that even a zero pound week was an acheivement, because "most people" regain lost weight. Even if I never lose another pound, I'll still be ahead of "most people," because most people give up and regain. Maintenance is success (even if you have more to lose).

It's taken me about five years to get 85 lbs off. (The first 20 I lost "accidentally," the next two years were spent trying to lose weight without much success, and only the last two years have been active weight loss).

That's ridiculously slow, and yet my doctor assures me that I'm doing far better than most people. It may not seem very impressive when you compare it to the magazine cover stories, but I'm still doing better than "most people."

When you look at the statistics (for very overweight people, the failure rate is reported to be as high as 95 - 97%), you can start to think weight loss is impossible.

I think the biggest obstacle to weight loss isn't failure, but feelings of failure. People think they're "failing" because they're not succeeding fast enough. They're "only" losing _____ per week, so they think weight loss is hopeless and they give up.

It's sure the reason I usually gave up in the thousands and thousands of diets I've been on since age 5. Sometimes the number was even 2 lbs a week. I thought that "at my weight I should be losing more... This is going to take forever, what's the use I'll never be thin."

Now, I envy my younger, more easily frustrated self.... what I wouldn't give to be "only" losing two pounds a week.

I think it's really important to realize that even modest success is success. Just maintaining a 5 lb loss, at any size is an extraordinary acheivement. On one hand it doesn't matter how well everyone else is doing, because the rewards are yours alone. Still, it's very easy to give up when you think you're doing so much worse than "everyone else."

It helps me keep things in perspective to realize that any weight loss is an extraordinary acheivement. Even my snail's pace weight loss is a success that I shouldn't dismiss. Even a "plateau" is still a reflection of success, because maintaing weight is almost the bigger acheivement. (Many people can temporarily lose quickly and gain even more quickly - it's maintenance that is often the trickiest).

MissKelly
07-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I know one person who has lost over 100lbs & has kept it off for 6...almost 7 years now. Socially I know a few who lost between 15-40 who have kept it off & a couple who have gained back.

JoJoJo2
07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a close friend, my age, who also lost 60 lbs. while in her 70's and is maintaining her weight loss.

Losing weight is not easy at any age, but it can be done. And I think there are lots of success stories about weight loss out there.

Natalia
07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I know probably 15 people who've lost a lot of weight, and all but 2 have regained everything. A LOT of people at my work were actually on the sam,e plan for awhile becasue a guy at my work started a weight loss clinic in his house and we were the first guinea pigs I guess. LOL (well I never partook bc at that time it was semi-starvation, he was still tweaking it).

Anway the 2 who have kept it off, my FIL who was morbidly obese, lost over 100lb before I met him, kept if off ..(when I met him he looked slightly chubby) then a couple yrs ago he got dx'd diabetic and dropped another 30lbs. he is THIN .

The other one is a co-worker, but he wasn't on the weight loss plan per above. His was old fashioned diet and exercise. Before that I remember he would bring a whole casserole dish to work for lunch, taped close (this was a family sized casserole!) He has kept it off about 10 yrs, and funny enough when all my co-workers were on the other plan, said he could never stick to that type of plan.

Beverlyjoy
07-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I know several people who have lost weight and kept it off:

My son's good friend (low carb) - lost over 100 pounds - has kept it off 6 years now

My aunt (low fat) - lost 35 pounds - has kept it off 30 pounds

A good friend (OA - now food exchanges) - lost 45 pounds - has kept it off for 35 years.

I know many folks that have lost from 10 - 200 pounds that have not been able to keep it off, unfortunately.

It's nice that there are many folks here at 3fc that are maintaining. These people are so generous in supporting others and sharing what has worked for them.

I don't think my weight has ever effected my having or making friends. I guess I am good at faking it when I need to - if my weight is making me feel bad. I am a performer and - I just do it and don't often think of my weight while I am doing that. Over the years, however, - I have felt ashamed of my weight on occaison.

I don't think I've ever encountered someone who is suprised by my weight loss. Not that I can think of , off hand.

GoldenLeaf
07-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I know a few who have gone from moderately overweight to healthy weight and maintained it, and people who were a healthy weight but not toned who have become really athletic and fit, but I don't personally know anyone who has gone from obese to a healthy weight and maintained it, which scares me as I'm obese and know that there is a good statistical chance I won't ever permanently be a healthy weight again. I know one person who went from very obese to still technically 'overweight', but looking great and healthy, but she put it all back on and is having a very very very hard time getting it off again.

It's great that there are lots of maintainers here - of course it can be done - but study after study shows that most people in society don't keep it off.

TXMary2
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I know 2.....my mom who lost about 100 pounds and kept it off for years and a current friend lost about 35 pounds but I noticed she has gained alot back. Other than that I don't think I know any one else.

Edited: Oops....forgot my mom's friend who had weight loss surgery and lost over 100 pounds...she still has weight to lose. Also, an acquantaince had weight loss surgery about 8 months ago. Last time I saw her she had dropped about 40 pounds....I can't wait to see what she looks like now.

oodlesofnoodles
07-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I knew one person, he was part of the reason I knew I could do it actually. He lost like 80 pounds in high school I think.

I knew another girl, but we were internet friends. I think it's pretty rare. When I went into the doctor thinking I had shin splints, I had to see a doc that wasn't my usual provider, and he was amazed I'd lost weight. Like super amazed, he kept asking what I was doing and repeating my answers lmao.

oodlesofnoodles
07-03-2010, 10:33 PM
I think the biggest obstacle to weight loss isn't failure, but feelings of failure. People think they're "failing" because they're not succeeding fast enough. They're "only" losing _____ per week, so they think weight loss is hopeless and they give up.

I've been feeling that lately. I've taken a little maintenance break, and it wasn't on purpose. I think I started going crazy thinking about NOTHING but weight loss and exercise and sizes all the time. Lately I've been feeling like such a loser because if I had stayed obsessed, I'd probably be in the 170's by now. *shrug* You definitely make a good point. Good post.

kendra
07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't know any one that has lost alot of weight. People always are amazed when I tell them how much I've lost. Thanks for posting, really got me thinking about how people react and how rare it is for people to lose alot of weight.

catherinef
07-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I was thinking I didn't know anybody who'd lost a vast amount of weight, and certainly none who'd kept it off, but then it clicked: my dad. My dad lost probably at least 70 or 80 pounds 20-ish years ago, and has kept it all off. It'd been so long that I forgot he was ever fat at all! This makes me extraordinarily happy, having a direct genetic link to somebody who's been very successful in maintaining a big weight loss. :)

Rhythm
07-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Kaplods, I always love reading your posts. :D

Anyway, me, I only know 2 -- First, my mother. She lost 70 pounds recently and is slowly gaining it back. Second, my good friend, who lost about 20 lbs and is trying to lose more. She's kinda the reason I went on a diet in the first place -- I'm competitive. She's already got the straight A student thing going on while I struggled and dropped out of school, so I at least want this over her. lmao. I know it sounds like an awful reason to lose weight, but we've been compared to each other for the past 7 years and I refuse to be the one who ended up nowhere.

Rochester
07-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Kaplods, I always love reading your posts.

I agree! I always get a little excited when I see that Kaplods has posted in a thread. :)

Someone here made a good point - there could be people we know who lost weight before we met them so we aren't aware of their success. I guess that could bump the percentage up a bit.

caryesings
07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
My doctor made a huge deal when my annual physical showed a 60 lb. weight loss as she'd never had a female patient loss that kind of weight without drugs or surgery.

There is a man at my Y that lost more than 100 lbs and has kept it off for more than 1 year. I have 4 female friends who lost in that range, 3 from weight loss surgery. The one who lost without surgey has gained back and one of the gastric bypass surgeries has since regained more than half of what she lost. However as she has kept 10% of her original weight off, she is reported as a success in the statistics the hospital keeps on their bariatric surgery success rate.

sweetnlow28
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
wow, I am glad this thread got so many replies. I guess there are lots of people out there which is encouraging. It just got me thinking because of other's reactions. I guess it depends on who you know and where you live.
The statistics are pretty disheartening but hey, we don't have to be one of them if we all support each other and do what it takes to lose and maintain ;)

saef
07-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I know just a few people who've lost weight & kept it off, but I really have to stretch the idea of "knowing" to get a fair number.

One is a coworker. He had bariatric surgery. (I can't think what it is called, but it has a vaguely French sounding name -- it sounds like a roux which you make by browning flour & butter in a pan.) He motivated me to do something about my own weight. He said doing it without surgery was impossible. And that triggered a response from me, because years before, I had, in fact, lost nearly 100 pounds & kept it off for three & a half years, though mostly that was through developing an eating disorder. I thought: "It's time do it it again. But to do it right." That thought was simmering in the back of my mind. Only to be ignited to a real pure flame of determination after I had a health scare & my doctor gave me a come-to-Jesus meeting in his office after one of my blood tests ... Anyway, since I'm wandering, this colleague has kept much of his weight off for about four years now, but he has had some health problems away. He also seems to have a somewhat compromised immune system because if there is a cold going around, he will catch it & will be prostrated.

Two more I don't know very well, really -- by sight, to wave to on the street? -- they're my mother's neighbors, and again, both have had surgery. One woman has had great success & even goes around giving lectures & running support groups. The other, not so much, and has gained back half of what he lost, or so my mother says that he told her.

Okay, and to really stretch the term "know," there's a columnist in the newspapers in my old hometown of Syracuse NY who lost 250 pounds & kept it off. Her name is Bunny Dimmel. She keeps a blog (bunnydiet.com) & writes columns for the local papers. You can Google her name to read some of her articles & comments. I do not know this woman personally, but when I went back to my hometown visiting my mother & old friends, the friends all brought up her name time & again as someone who has successfully lost a lot & kept it off.

Leonor
07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
The statistics on smoking cessation are equally depressing "About 10% of people who quit unaided will remain non-smokers for 12 months".

But you know what, 5 years ago I quit and that was the end of it. It can be done.

My mother's partner lost roughly 50 pounds some 12 years ago. He has kept the weight since and he's in his 60's.

Magrat
07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Not all that long ago (maybe a year), I was griping to my doctor about my slow weight loss, and that I "should be able to lose at least two pounds a week, like most people."

It's taken me about five years to get 85 lbs off. (The first 20 I lost "accidentally," the next two years were spent trying to lose weight without much success, and only the last two years have been active weight loss).

That's ridiculously slow, and yet my doctor assures me that I'm doing far better than most people. It may not seem very impressive when you compare it to the magazine cover stories, but I'm still doing better than "most people."

Kaplods, compared to me, you're a weight loss speed demon. It took me three and a half years to lose thirty pounds while eating an average of 1500 calories a day, exercising ten hours a week and working a physical job. The only thing that kept me going was to tell myself that least I was losing even though it was at a snail's pace. And even though I've been stuck at five pounds over goal for going on a year I haven't gained any weight back.

Magrat
07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't personally know anyone who lost all their weight and kept it off. One woman I know lost 100 pounds after lapband surgery, but got stuck fifty pounds from her goal. Her daughter lost 50 pounds in her early teens by giving up sweets and snacks, but as since regained thirty pounds. The woman's sister lost sixty pounds on Weight Watchers, but gained it all back and then some.

fatmad
07-04-2010, 04:08 PM
When I was a kid, I asked my grandmother about a photograph in her bedroom. I assumed it was of her mother, and grandma and her two sisters. THe mother was very fat, and I knew my great-grandma was fat and had died of diabetes. Turned out the photo was of grandma and HER three daughters.
After having 3 kids, she wanted to get some birth control, as she gained with each kid and didn't lose, and her mother by then had died of diabetes complications. Back then birth control was illegal, or only available by prescription by the doctor, he had a lot of power and control. She told me he would give her condoms and fit her for a diaphragm, if she would co-operate with a weight loss plan. I am not sure exactly what she did for her diet, I know there was some medication involved, (like medical speed maybe?) but she did lose weight.
I had never seen my grandmother fat, except in that and a few other old photos. I only knew her as thin, and she was thin all my life until she died when I was 20. She kept it off all those years, and was the only one of her siblings NOT to become diabetic.
SHe baked the best treats too. And always had candy in the house for us. And was a good cook. So she must have maintained by staying on a basic calorie plan and sticking to it. I don't remember it being a struggle for her.
Looking back now, I am really impressed by the whole thing too.

eclipse
07-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I've known several people that lost a significant amount of weight, but none of them have kept it off except the one who had bariatric surgery (well, it's been several year since I've seen her, so I don't know if she's still kept it off). My mother has lost 60 lbs in the last 2 years and has so far kept it off - but I've known her to yoyo for my entire life, so I don't know for sure that it's "kept off" yet, and she still has probably 30-50 lbs before she's actually at her goal weight. I really, really do hope she keeps off what she's lost, even if she never loses another pound.

time2lose
07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I have two friends, sisters, who lost a lot of weight on WW and are keeping it off. They live together and I think having that support in the home makes a huge difference. I know also know two WW leaders that lost large amounts of weight and are keeping it off.

I know several people who have lost weight and regained it. I fall in that category too so I know how important maintenance is!

I also know 4 people who lost with surgery. So far 2 are keeping the weight off and 2 have gained back a good deal of weight, but not all the weight they lost.

ubergirl
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Yup. I agree. It is rare to find people who have lost weight and kept it off and certainly when you lose a lot of weight, people's first thought is WLS.

A few years back I had a patient who lost about 90 lbs. She kept coming back to see me every three months for something not weight related, and every time I saw her, she was 30-40 lbs thinner.... I was amazed by her and I used to ask her all kinds of questions every time and then tell my other patients about her.

My uncle lost 100 lbs counting calories-- when he hit the hundred pound mark he looked super thin-- I think he may have gained back 10 or so, but he has remained thin. When he lost the weight he was in his 70s. I know he had lost a bunch of weight once before on a liquid diet, but he regained that.

His wife, my aunt lost a bunch too, I'm thinking maybe 75 lbs or so all told. She lost it gradually over the course of a few years in her 60s. She has kept it off.

I have a friend from years ago who was very obese when I knew her and she is very slim now and is a triathlete. I've never asked her how she lost it, but I doubt it was WLS because she lost the weight before WLS was popular.

I have another friend who lost about 120 pounds recently-- she has kept it off for about a year and I don't see her going back.

Regarding the statistics: I really think we need to take them with a huge grain of salt. First, the big obesity epidemic is relatively recent.... there are many more people around with 100lbs to lose, so it stands to reason that more people will start finding ways to succeed.

Also, those "diets don't work" stats serve the WLS industry VERY WELL. Part of the whole rationale for WLS is built on the foundation of "diets don't work..."

The whole "diets don't work" mentality may be a reaction to the ugly flip side, which is, "you're fat because you have no willpower..."

But doesn't the truth lie somewhere in the middle. Diets DO work, but only in the right circumstances-- the person has to be highly motivated, get good information and have excellent support.

Let's face it. Where are you more likely to get good weight loss advice-- from your doctor, or from Rockin Robin? I'd argue for ROBIN. Most doctors feel completely powerless about giving weight loss advice-- they can tell you to cut your calories and exercise more, but they don't know how to help you implement that information, and with weight loss, implementation is everything.

But knowledge is power, and modestly, I'd like to say that people like us maybe can start the WEIGHT LOSS IS POSSIBLE revolution!!!

I'm thinking a hundred of us 100 lb losers should pay a visit to Michelle Obama. Anyone game?

Slim CB
07-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I know a former co-worker who lost 80lbs and is still maintaing. I tell her all the time that she is an inspiration. Found out yesterday that she had to do surgery though to get rid of the excess skin.

Harsdottir
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I lost over 140 pounds through diet and exercise and I am the only one I know who has lost over 100 pounds through diet and exercise. Everyone else I know has done it through surgery.

I am scared though that I won't get down to my goal 150, but I will tell you that NOT ONCE in the 3+ years that I have been losing my 140+ pounds have I ever gained back more than 8 pounds.

the secrets:

daily weigh ins to keep track
writing/tabulating EVERYTHING.. yup. EVERYTHING even the gum that I chew
Not exercising is NOT an option. I always exercise at least 5 days a week.
therapy to deal with the emotional eating issues
journal writing for "ditto above"

susieyarb
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I know very few people who have lost more than 50 pounds and maintained it through strict diet and exercise (no drugs, no surgery). Maybe 2 people?

So, yes, I think it's rare and that means we're rare :O). I TOTALLY credit 3FC for helping me continue when I wanted to stop.

And although it's been an effort, it's not been Herculian and I wonder "why on earth did I stay fat for 15 years?!"