Weight Loss Support - Are you allowing yourself a cheat day for the 4th of July?

neveragainbabe
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm debating if I should let myself have those cheeseburgers and deserts and stuff that we have annually. Part of me is saying no, but part of me is saying, "oh my god chill it's ONE day out of the year, you deserve a break." I have no idea! What are you ladies planning?

Onederchic
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not but I don't think there is anything wrong if you plan for it.

treepeters
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, as you can see from my little weight numbers... I still have a long way to go.
But we've all been dieting long enough to know a few things anyway, haven't we?

I say, if you're not doing something like a "ketosis" based diet where one day can send your body into some difficult places to recover from...
It's a good chance to practice "living", and making better choices than you might have before. It doesn't have to be a "pig out" just because you eat non-diet food.
This is forever. And I believe that if we think of Dieting as total deprivation...eventually we crack and rebel.
Normal eating involves days or moments of indulgence.

Maybe have a good plan to workout that morning and the next day a bit extra.

That's my two cents.

Have a wonderful day, whatever you decide.:wave:

-teresa
www.gooddaytodiet.com

jendiet
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
hmmm, I don't think I am...I think i will eat what I want within reason. And just try to keep it to my plan. but i'm not going to do the "eat til I'm stuffed and feel horrible" thing.

Rochester
07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
It's a good chance to practice "living", and making better choices than you might have before. It doesn't have to be a "pig out" just because you eat non-diet food. This is forever. And I believe that if we think of Dieting as total deprivation...eventually we crack and rebel.

This is excellent advice!

For me, in a lot of situations, it's relatively easy to stay on plan because I can't wheat, so that puts many foods off limits. But at a family gathering, there are 5 of us who can't do gluten or wheat, so there are many more options...and this will be the situation for me on the 4TH. So, yes, I might indulge in a bit of gluten-free pasta salad and gluten-free brownies, but I'm not going to go completely crazy. ;) It's a time to enjoy AND a time to practice good life choices.

saef
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't really celebrate this holiday except to watch fireworks. So, no, I'll eat the seasonal whole foods that are in right now. This is just not a special enough occasion for me.

I don't eat fresh corn on the cob very often, so that will be an unusual treat. And bing cherries are on sale everywhere, and I love them!

mandalinn82
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM
It will be more food than usual, but I'm hosting so I'm making things that are moderately healthy...grilled chicken (and ribs...will prob eat one small rib and a chicken breast), fruit salad, a big salad w/ heirloom tomatoes and mozzarella, grilled corn.

yhahmd
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Nope, I'm not.

celigirl88
07-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't know what there is going to be in front of me so I can't say yes and I can't say no. I'm not going to sit there and pick like a bird when everybody is eating, but I'm also not going to stuff my face with everything in sight. I'll cheat a little bit, but not a whole lot.

motivated chickie
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Sugar holidays are my problem: Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, etc.

BBQ holidays are actually on plan for me because I don't eat enough protein. The only time I eat red meat is at a BBQ and afterwards, I feel pretty good. I get a good dose of protein, fat, and iron.

Although, I have to keep potato salad and desserts at arms length. When I indulge in them, I don't feel good at all.

thesame7lbs
07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Didn't you just start this thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/205983-i-day-3-i-just-blew.html) last night?

You say, "it's one day out of the year," but, um, it sounds like your second day this week.

I'm not your police, obviously it's up to you... but I think you have to be honest with yourself.

steph15
07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I am hosting a get-together at my house so I can control what is offered and make healthy things that are still tasty.

Serbrider
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm not. Personally.

And by that... I mean that I can eat what I want (that's how my personal diet works), within reason. I have to stay within my calorie limit (for the 4th I'm going to put it at 1400, because I know I WILL overeat if I put it any higher, my normal diet number is around 1500-1600), but I can have whatever I want. Meaning, if I want a brownie, I have to have a tiny piece. Or if I want a burger, I have half of one, and so on. :)

nelie
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
No, really its only one day out of many. Summer can be full of on plan bbqs (love grilled veggies). My plan is to go kayaking or biking or hiking on July 4th (depending on weather), and then July 5th (day off), plan to go to the gym. Food will be normal.

Eliana
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
This holiday is two-fold for us...it doubles as our anniversary: 12 years. :D So yeah, it's not going to be a perfect diet day. :rofl: But it will be close. We're going out to dinner on both the 3rd and the 4th, but I can make healthy choices while I'm there and I can be on plan for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

JayZeeJay
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Happy Anniversary Eliana!

I'm contributing as much food as I can to the BBQ - I made a very low sugar plum-peach sorbet out of fruit from friends' trees, and I'll make a veggie-packed quinoa salad and bring some lo-cal beverages. With OP foods to eat, I should be able to avoid non-OP foods and be OK. The idea of wiping out a whole 30 day shred workout in 3 bites is simply too grim!

Gela
07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
My food choices won't be so great, but I plan to stay under 1900 each day. I also plan on working out every day this weekend.

Shytowngal
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm bringing delicious and healthy food for me and to share. I'm there to socalize and enjoy fireworks. Not to stuff myself and feel bloated and guily. Eating right and following the plan makes me happier than ANY burger or pie.

Shytowngal
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Also, as thesame7 said, it looks like you just cheated a day ago. You may want to count that as your cheat instead. But the decision is yours of course, I'm not trying to police either :)

Arctic Mama
07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Our 4th food tends to be pretty healthy grilled stuff with some dessert thrown in, so even if I absolutely pig out I am not doing a ton of damage. But as always, I will take moderate portions of the heavier stuff, large servings of veggies, a sensible serving of dessert, and stop when I am full. The caloric damage is not going to be that bad, but even if it was, I am focusing more on healthy habits and patterns than strictly on the numbers right now. I just don't see a need to pig out.

Wild Vulpix
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
No cheating for me on the 4th. The only "cheating" I'll be doing is skipping the gym because it's going to be closed... but I have nothing special planned for the 4th, so it'll pretty much be an average day for me.

love2b150
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Ladies, I am hoping to stay OP, but I'm going to a friends that can really cook. She knows I've been serious about my life style change so I'm sure there will be some things there that I can eat with ease. Any crazy gain would definitely set me back and I can't allow that to happen. But I have a Zumba class that morning so I should hopefully be fine. Cook out is on Saturday.

Natalia
07-01-2010, 11:10 PM
nope, mine was today (Canada Day) and I was very OP. Luckily for me, summer is such an easy time to stay on plan!! Lots of lean BBQ'd meat, grilled veg, seasonal berries and yummy salads.

"Cheat" day allowances abound if one looks hard enough for them; personally I would be more tempted to eat off plan on my birthday or Christmas Day.

mandalinn82
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Luckily for me, summer is such an easy time to stay on plan!! Lots of lean BBQ'd meat, grilled veg, seasonal berries and yummy salads.

That's my feeling. I COULD go off on the 4th, but it's so easy to eat healthy stuff (BBQ chicken, salads, fruit, corn...mmm) that as long as you watch portions on dessert, there's plenty of good stuff to eat. I may eat a little higher calorie, but it will be healthy stuff, because healthy stuff will abound.

My biggest splurge will be the homemade mozzarella on my tomato salad. Mmm, its so good. But again, moderation.

kendra
07-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Nope, I'm not. 4th of July is just a normal day for me. If I allow myself to cheat, then it becomes 2 days, then 3 days, then weeks, then i'm back where I started.

Heather
07-02-2010, 07:54 AM
For me, the decision to eat more on a particular day (hate to call it a "cheat") would depend on a lot of factors. If I'm really struggling to get back on plan then I really have to hunker down and stay on plan. It's not like I'll never have the opportunity to eat that food again.

I will be on vacation later this month, and will have to plan carefully to stay on plan, but I really want to get back Onederland more than I want to eat a lot.

I had also noticed that you started another thread about eating too much already this week. I think you have to ask yourself where your priorities are right now. If you really do want to lose weight, then the decision is made for you. Good luck!

ape85
07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Last sunday I went to my cousins graduation BBQ. I decided to eat what i wanted. I didnt pig out or anything. I dont want to go the rest of my life without my nan's macaroni salad. 5 days later and I have actually lost 2.5 lbs. A cheat meal is good for me once in a while. But not a cheat day!

Lori Bell
07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Another Cheat day??? Didn't you say you put some skinny jeans (2 sizes smaller) on lay-a-way a few days ago? You might as well have the store put those jeans back on the shelf...

Oh, and no, I'm not having a cheat DAY. I'll probably include a little potato salad and baked beans...but I have been working for them all week.

jigglefree
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm a calorie counter and I will be within my range of 1300-1500. I'm hosting and have full control of the menu. I told everyone to bring a dish and no junk food. They are all well aware that I'm working on myself and they respect me and my menu.

TheBunneh
07-02-2010, 11:01 AM
This 4th is kind of sad for me cause my husband and I just moved halfway across the country, and I'm really missing my in-laws. We'd barbecue and then all go to see fireworks together. Is it weird that I'm missing my mother-in-law almost more than I missed my own mother when I got married?

My husband and I don't want to go through the trouble of barbecuing for two people, but there are lots of activities going on in our area. On Saturday we're going to a celebration in the local park and I'm going to allow myself to get one sweet "cheat" from a concession stand, but we're going for a long hike that morning so I'm hoping to fit it into my calories. And on the actual holiday we're planning to eat out for dinner but I'm going to try to make a smart choice that won't kill my week.

sacha
07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
OP, you need to look back at this:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/205983-i-day-3-i-just-blew-3.html

If you are not ready yet, nobody will judge you (we have all been there), but be honest with yourself. Rationalizing the same eating habits you had before will keep you in the same position as before. You can't do the same thing and expect a different result. Are you ready for real commitment? Only you can answer that.

Yes, it is just one day. So is Friday, so is your friend's birthday, so is the 7th day of "dieting", etc. See what happens when you rationalize? There is a difference between a treat, and making an excuse to just go overboard. I'm not sure which one you want, but one can keep you on plan and one will keep you behind, so choose wisely.

Matilda08
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
i wouldnt say cheat im just going to try to eat within my budget and now overeat! Nothing is off limits to me since i calorie count but i will pay attention to what I eat

Beach Patrol
07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
We'll be grilling out for the 4th, and I'm on vacation that whole week, & have family visiting. So there WILL BE more food than usual around the house, and there will be restaurant outings as well.

However, I do choose to have a cheeseburger on the 4th. We use low-fat beef, 2% cheese, and whole wheat buns - so our cheeseburgers are not "off plan" to begin with! - But I plan dessert to be fresh fruit and low-fat, no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream. HALF A CUP! - gotta watch those portion sizes! ;)

parkedout
07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm making room in my plan for a sliver of lemon ice-box pie. I have been looking forward to our '4th' celebration, but after memorial day (UGH) I have decided instead of 'a little of everything in moderation' I am going to take the 'choose ONE' road.

I can't eat cheeseburgers AND potato salad AND a dessert AND have a cocktail and still hope to be anywhere near my plan. And summer is full of those 'once a year things' like Memorial Day, 4th of July, a handful of birthdays ... heck, its ALMOST as bad as Christmas holidays.

I'd be 'cheating' every weekend.

No. I wantto reach my goals more than I want a grilled burger. And honestly... if I am going to allow myself a 'holiday' meal-- I can think of dozens of other ways I would rather spend those calories (Cheesecake! MMM!) ;):)

TJFitnessDiva
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
We are going to a festival on July 4th and luckily for me I know what they serve & can plan for it ;) Mainly I'll be eating boiled crawfish...the sodium might suck but it's all good!

We are getting together with friend tomorrow for a BBQ at my house so I'll have regular hamburgers, etc for everyone but I have chicken patties for me, sandwich thins for the bun and lots of fresh veggies!

successfulhannah
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Even though it sounds good to let yourself have a day... I'm not going to do it! I have to work to hard to get off the calories and then the next day Ifeel horrible because my body is not used to cheeseburgers and french fries anymore. It's my 2 year wedding anniversary on the 4th and the new and imporved me is going to SHINE!!!!!!!!!!! :D Not the other FAT me! lol So only healthy foods for me!

MaddiesMom
07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
There's healthy options that you can have without feeling guilty. But, if I remember correctly, you were talking about getting back on plan asap, as you cheated and had a cheeseburger and ice cream on day 3. You can't make a lifestyle change permanant if you are having a lot of "cheat" days.

angiemo3
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
OP, you need to look back at this:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...st-blew-3.html

If you are not ready yet, nobody will judge you (we have all been there), but be honest with yourself. Rationalizing the same eating habits you had before will keep you in the same position as before. You can't do the same thing and expect a different result. Are you ready for real commitment? Only you can answer that.

Yes, it is just one day. So is Friday, so is your friend's birthday, so is the 7th day of "dieting", etc. See what happens when you rationalize? There is a difference between a treat, and making an excuse to just go overboard. I'm not sure which one you want, but one can keep you on plan and one will keep you behind, so choose wisely.

I agree!!! The thing is a treat is just that and I see nothing wrong with it as long as it is not habitual. I had to stop dieting with my bf because there was always some special occasion.

I do not starve myself and I make it a choice everyday not to over eat. I will eat what I want on the 4th....but it will be only the things I really want to treat myself to and with reasonable portions.

I am not sure if you have tried WW before but it really helps me bc I can eat anything I want without guilt and all I have to do is make sure I watch portions v.s. points.

A nibble here and there isn't going to throw me off but I stopped using the word CHEAT just recently because all I was doing was cheating myself! I used the "cheat" day as a way to eat whatever I wanted and then I couldn't stop and I would have binges a have to start all over again. You have to look at it less like a restrictive diet and more like choices that you make. Really look at your reasoning too...When I wanted to lose weight bc I was fat I failed miserably. Now I think of it as taking responsibility to do what is best for my health by making choices that are beneficial for me. It is soooo not about the pounds you lose or don't it is about something much bigger than that. It is about finding who you are and making YOU your top priority.

:goodluck:

neveragainbabe
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
you ladies are completely right. i already messed up my day 3. i don't care that it's a holiday- i'm gonna eat healthy!! :carrot:

tabathana
07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I admit i am a little scared about the holiday coming up. I am going to a place I am unfamilar with, to meet people I do not know, and whose eating habits are also unknown. I debated not going, or bringing some substitutes, but I think it's a good chance for me to practice self control.

I am going to go, and eat things I like, and force myself to remember I don't have to stuff myself to enjoy it. Here's hoping!

That's all anyone really has to do!

skygirl
07-02-2010, 01:31 PM
i'm not going to go way off plan. it's too early in the process for me, especially given sugar and binge issues, to go off plan in any sort of significant way, even for a special occasion.

i have been thinking about this approaching holiday and trying to plan ahead so all my decisions are made before i get there. we're going to a huge celebration thing with lots of food and fireworks. so i found out what will be there and decided ahead of time. the only thing i may do is have a decaf coffee with cream, but still undecided on that. i have switched to green tea instead of coffee and i have been temporarily off dairy. but that may be the one thing i have, one cup of decaf with cream.

hope everyone has a great holiday! :)

Leonor
07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Why can't you eat chilli? Just save the calories somewhere else.:?:

MeowMix
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Naw, there are far to many "holidays" and if I were to "cheat" on every one of them I'd be cheating way more often than is good for me.

Can't use holidays as and excuse to over due it. Op the fair is in town, don't get fair food that much gotta have it! OH, it's a pot luck at work . . it's just one day. Such and such restaurant has a 'limited' food item, gotta try it before it's gone! It's 'insert whatever here' - time to indulge!

There are always excuses to eat things we know aren't good for us, gotta just move past them and focus on your goals.