Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default 30-Somethings July Chat

Well, it's July. More than half-way through the year and it's starting to get COLD here in New Zealand.

It's been a little bit of an emotional rollercoaster here- my grandfather died a couple of days ago (29 June). While I'm upset, I can't blame him for wanting to go- so many hospitalisations, strokes, heart problems, etc. Daddy said that he passed with a smile on his face. I'd like to think that he did. Grandpa had a really wicked sense of humour.

It's been hard not emotionally eating, so I'm keeping a very tight rein on what I'm eating and not eating so it doesn't get out of control. It isn't helping that DH needs banana bran muffins for work tomorrow (Friday) and that I'm having lunch with a friend on Saturday and a 4th of July dinner with all my mates on Sunday. And what's more... NO DR REID ON SUNDAY BECAUSE OF DINNER!!! Dr Reid...

There is something happening here in July- there's another biggest loser challenge starting on 5 July and MortonPixie's started a sign-up thread. All you need to do is sign up, post a starting weight on 5 July and on 12 July, check in with your starting weight/loss or gain for the week/new weight (e.g., 175/-2/173). It's that easy.

I've got a paper due on Monday which I haven't started on, so I probably should be working on it. Then I'll have the rest of school holidays to paint my bedroom (steam off the wallpaper, plaster where I need to plaster, strip paint where it needs stripping) and put up new curtains. Maybe a few luxurious pillows here and there. I will feel SO GOOD when it's finished. It shouldn't take me any more than 4 or 5 days, even with DH's hectic work schedule.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/165

Height: 5"10"

Mollz, so sorry to hear about your Grandpa! That is tough.....I went through the death of a close friend this spring and it was a struggle for me not to emotionally eat everything not nailed down, so I have been there, too. Please know that I'm thinking of you and your family, I will say some prayers for you. (not sure if you are religious, but prayers are good for everybody, I think)

We returned from Phoenix on Tuesday, I have been trying to do all of the unpacking, cleaning, etc that comes with a family vacation. We had a great time, but as any of you moms out there know, traveling with small children is a huge challenge sometimes. However, it was our kids' first "plane vacation" so the novelty of that helped them to behave better on the airplane. The kids celebrated their birthdays in AZ, my son was telling everyone that "today is my birthday and I'm a 4 year old now!"

I did have many treats, but tried to balance with healthier eating, too. I worked out a few times, not every day. Back home, all my clothes fit the same, am too scared to get on the scale, but need to do that! I actually need to get in to a Weight Watchers meeting to get back in line. I have been eating fairly healthy food, but a lot more of it than I should be (2 granola bars for a snack, because I want something sweet, or 2 packages of 100 cal packs of almonds, etc.) I am frustrated that this is where I am weight-wise in July--not much better than when I started this whole thing again on New Year's. I need a heavy dose of motivation---am feeling a bit blue about it.

Anyway, have tried to catch up with you all after being gone for over a week, hope everyone is doing well.......again Mollz, so sorry for your loss......have a great July 4th everyone!!

R
RunningToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/219/170

Height: 5'6

Mollz, sorry to hear about your grandpa

Last night DH and I had a chance to go to dinner ALONE, and I ate like crap. First time I really cheated since I began to eat healthy. I have to work harder to make smarter choices while out. It's just so hard, especially when DH is eating lasagna!!!
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #4  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Mollz - I lost my dad in 1998 after a long illness...it was a blessing, he was tired of being sick (lung cancer, remission, spread to his brain). Prayer for your family as you go through this tough time.

Running - you survived the vaca, yay!! I hear ya about feeling blue...I am having one of those times now as well. Lets get it together and kick butt in the BL Challenge!!

RhondaH - it's SO hard when DH isn't eating like you are. I'm glad you had time alone, but sorry to hear you feeling bad about it. Stop it!! No guilt and MOVE ON. Today is a new day.

So much going on! I've been in a funk due to another injury preventing me from running (or even cycling this time!) My 3yo DD stepped on my big toe out in the garden on Sunday. She must've just hit it right, because the nail was nearly sheared off. Had it removed by the doctor on Monday.

My foot and now my calf have swollen up huge and I have a big, hot, red spot on the front of my calf. I went back to the doc on Wednesday and he told me not to worry about it. Grrr... Today it's HORRIBLY swollen and very painful - I will have to go to Urgent Care after DH gets home from work.

Trying to hobble around on one leg chasing 5 toddlers...ouch.

Yesterday I went to my OB/GYN and got a shot of Lupron. I have suffered since my teen years with endomitriosis, and this is the one treatment option I feel okay with (I've had 2 laparoscopies). I'm too young for a hysto - and I have 4 children and no plans for more. This shot basically puts you in "menopause" for a year, giving you a break similar to pregnancy. Unfortunately, for 2-4wks after the 1st monthly shot the bleeding and cramps are worse than ever. That ought to be fun.

No horror stories please!! I am going to try to let my EXPERIENCE alone be my guide

Today I am doing a fruit and veggie feast. It helps to get things flushed out...literally! One day is all I can take of it, but it sure helps.

June was a stinker...only lost 2lbs!! I'm dedicated to kicking some major arse in July...running or not, I will exercise (push ups, punching, presses) and I will stay positive.

Happy Canada Day and Independence Day everyone!!

Last edited by mortonpixie; 07-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #5  
Finally doing something!

S/C/G: 223/180.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Mollz, so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.
Caro0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #6  

MP, sounds like you have cellulitis (infection of the skin/soft tissues) in your leg. You need some antibiotics.....get in to Urgent Care. My other much-less-likely diagnosis would be possible blood clot, but that seems unlikely if you haven't had recent surgery/been inactive/have clotting disorder. Eat some yogurt with your antibiotics...

R
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #7  
Less than 15 now!!

Thanks, R. I have seen cellulitis before (in my dad and once in a toddler) so that was my suspicion when I went to the doc on Wed. Guess I had to wait for it to develop properly to obtain a diagnosis. I WILL get my rear to Urgent Care as soon as hubby gets home at 5!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/219/170

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
RhondaH - it's SO hard when DH isn't eating like you are. I'm glad you had time alone, but sorry to hear you feeling bad about it. Stop it!! No guilt and MOVE ON. Today is a new day.
You're right! Thanks
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #9  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Mollz I am SO sorry to hear about your granddad.

RunningToSmile Vacationing with kids can be TOUGH! But it sounds like yours did ok! I am not really happy with where I am since January either...I am SO FRUSTRATED! But at least we are still here... sludging through it all.

RhondaH I know your frustration, lady! I eat a different supper from my family every night. It helps to remind myself that this is my choice... and that I could be eating what they are eating anytime. I know sometimes you can't wrap your head around it... but usually reminding myself of that helps!

mortonpixie I am also going to be taking some hormone shots to stop my periods this year as well... I am not sure WHICH particular shot it is yet, because some tests have to come back first... but I am ready to get started.

So, my healthscare is getting dealt with, and in the meantime I am not going to be weighing the entire month of July. I weighed in this morning and will not step foot on a scale until August. I am so wrapped up in what my darn number is that I am not trusting the process.

So thats my goals for July. To eat within my calorie budget and to exercise according to plan and just LIVE the process for a while. I am so frustrated and fed up.. I just know that quitting would be a terrible idea. So instead of a full out 'break' I am going to just take a scale-vacation instead. See if that helps me out.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #10  
Carpe diem

Thanks everyone for your condolences.

I'm with MP for the fruit/veggie/water kick today; that's pretty much all I'll be eating except for a little protein at lunch (maybe some yoghurt) and dinner (meat patty and cheese). I've stayed within my calorie range and I'm gaining weight like mad. I've gone over my calories for the day and am gaining weight like mad. I'm back up to seeing 80kg on the scale, which I haven't seen in a few months and I'm really upset. I've written down some circuit exercises and when I go to the gym, I'm going to ask the trainer to write me down a new program with these exercises. I don't ever set deadlines for myself, but I want to be at least a size 12 when I go home. I'm a 14 now. I want to fit in normal clothes when I take my younger sister and mom clothes shopping.

I'm so upset at this weight gain I could spit.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Mollz- Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Add me to the injured reserve list. Last weekend I decided to go for a jog. 4 miles and I made a good pace too. Walked very very little, but I ended up aggrivating my hip muscles that I pulled this past spring. I did such a great job walking hurt. So I took a couple of days off from working out, walked the last two days. It feels better so I'll be getting back into it. I want these last 12-13lbs off already!!! I am soooo ready to be at goal!!!

I'm looking forward to this long 4th of July holiday! My office is giving us a treat and closing at noon tomorrow! I plan on getting all my laundry out of the way and a workout with the extra time. The rest of the weekend I just want to take it as it comes. Play my violin again for the first time in 2 years, read etc. We're supposed to have out 4th heat wave starting Sunday. 98degrees! Ewwww! Makes me wish I was freezing in NZ!!!
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #12  
Carpe diem

I just had a rather enlightening trip to the gym. I talked to the trainer about how I was bored with my workouts (her reaction was one of horror- how can you be bored with your workout??), wanted to do more body-weight strength (pushups, body rows, etc) and that I had stalled on my weight loss.

She asked me about my energy levels. I said they were pretty good. She said "You're eating too much. Drop it back to 800-1000."

"Run that by me again," I said. "800-1000 calories a DAY?"

"Yup. Just to kickstart you again."

That's good logic, I admit. "So how long?"

"As long as it takes."

"What? 3 days, a week?"

"A month if need be."

Right. Between running 3 days a week and exercising 3 days per week, PLUS 8 hours of martial arts training a week (not including home training), I'm supposed to survive (without passing out from, among other things, lack of sugar) on 800-1000 calories a day for up to a month.

And wake me up when the toothfairy gets here! I'm eating a LOT of fruit and veggies and water today. I'm still sticking some protein in there for lunch and dinner and I'm still at 1142 (without dessert) so I don't starve and drop my sugar levels too low.

I can do 1000 a day for 3 days which, if you're looking to jumpstart your weight loss, is perfectly acceptable as long as you're not exercising. But I think any more than that and the body returns to starvation mode and stores calories.

This is the last time I'm taking nutritional advice from a bodybuilder.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #13  
Less than 15 now!!

Jenn - enjoy your time off!!

Mollz - uh...yeah. That trainer is off her rocker. I can see a COUPLE of days at that low of intake...but it's a well known medical fact that if you dip below 1200 you are risking your health. Hmmm **pondering her qualifications**

Well, my leg feels like it got burned in the fire. I went to a walk in clinic last night and got some antibiotics for a skin infection. It seems the little buggers came in through my smashed toe and made a home in the skin on my shin. Neat.

But - I decided that I am done feeling sorry for myself. This last month I have had a knee injury and not been able to run, gone on vaca and spent the whole time coughing and unable to speak, had my cycle THREE times, then had my toe stepped on, the nail removed and got a nice bout of cellulitis for my trouble.

It can really make a girl get down in the dumps. And what to do while down there....eat!

So, I'm done. Call me Missus Positivity from now on!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #14  

Mollz, use your large supply of common sense and ignore what the trainer said, it is scientifically stupid advice. You may lose a few pounds quickly, but your metabolism will slow to a crawl and it will sabatoge any additional weight loss efforts. She's a quack.

MP, don't be down in the dumps!! Do some weights while you wait for everything to heal. Or some yoga, or the rowing machine. If you can't exercise at all, know that weight loss is affected the most by diet....stay strong with your eating! I have learned this lesson time and again, and it still doesn't stick: I can outeat any exercise that I do, and just can't do enough exercise each day to work off binges on chips, candy, cookies, sweets, or junk food. I'd have to exercise for hours! I need to constantly remind myself that diet is the key. Unfortunately I haven't been remembering that much myself, see ticker.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get to a Weight Watchers meeting this weekend, am going to the gym today, and have gardening to do all weekend. We have parties and other fun things planned, too. It will be very hot and humid in WI, so it should be a fun weekend.

Happy 4th everyone!

R
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone, Sorry to just jump in, but I haven been on much since school let out. Until last week I hadnt gotten to go to the gym much either Thankfully, my DH got put on a later shift at work and now he and I are going to the gym together every morning. I am currently at 234.4 as of this morning, and am hoping to get down to 175 (will probably go lower after reaching this weight, but this goal sounds less overwhelming than my ultimate goal of 140)

Mollz: I cant believe your trainer is spouting off such unhealthy advice.. I'd run far far away from her advice. I feel badly for those who are actually listening to her nonsense.

Everyone else, sorry I wasnt able to read everything this morning. Hope you are all doing well, and I hope you all have a healthy wonderful day
Jldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote