General chatter - Whatcha Readin' July 2010

View Full Version : Whatcha Readin' July 2010

ANOther
06-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Jumping the gun a bit, starting this on 06.30. Tonight I finish Absolute Power, then tomorrow night I start Wicked: A Tale of Two Schools by Jilly Cooper

Sweet Tea Sweetie
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
The Road to Guadalupe:A Modern Pilgrimage to the Goddess of the Americas by Eryk Hanut

Onederchic
06-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I am still reading on Turning Angel by Greg Iles and the second book of the Vampire Chronicles series.

Katz
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Terry Pratchett in all shapes and forms

Clydegirl
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons by Lorna Landvik.

Love this group of women.

Glory87
07-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I read The Great Santini for the first time - awesome book. Pat Conroy has a real ear for dialogue and writes amazing prose. Just really emphasizes what I've been reading lately is crap.

CookieLuvr
07-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I am reading The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes.

About a 100 pages in and it has been a great and surprising read so far !!

Beach Patrol
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I read The Great Santini for the first time - awesome book. Pat Conroy has a real ear for dialogue and writes amazing prose. Just really emphasizes what I've been reading lately is crap.

I LOVE Conroy! - he is my fav author, awesome writing - pure enjoyment! My all time favorite book is The Prince of Tides, which I've read 17 times. :D

Right now I am reading SEVERAL books (very usual for me) including two different Buffy the Vampire Slayer books, one Vampire Diaries book, and the "Women, Food & God" book by Geneen Roth.

CanadianCutie
07-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Just finished Underground by Kat Richardson. And yes still reading Last Night in Twisted River. I have put a deadline on myself to finish reading this monster of a book by Sunday night. So I am not starting another novel til I do. It will be a test of will.

MonteCristo
07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm currently working through the Sword of Truth books (Terry Goodkind)...waiting for the 3rd to arrive (interlibrary loan). Last night I read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

Smiling_Sara
07-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Still reading The Ice Man. Confessions of a mafia contact killer. It's utterly chilling if you're into that sort of stuff.

love114
07-04-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli! I'm reading it for my children's lit class so it wasn't exactly a choice but I kind of like it!

Ruthxxx
07-04-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm reading The Year of the Flood (http://thebookpedler.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/the-year-of-the-flood-by-margaret-atwood/) by Margaret Attwood. It's sort of science fiction.

I realize I read mostly books by Canadian authors and wonder if anyone has even heard of some of them. I finally finished John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted River" plus my book club selection "Through Black Spruce".

Sailorglitter
07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Just finished re-reading all the twilight books,lol, I'm reading the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy now =p

AmberPr
07-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm walking to: The girl who played with fire. I listened to "The girl with the dragon tatoo a couple of months ago and just say the movie. It was pretty darn good and was really close to the book. The movie was swedish, so it was all in subtitles and all the actors looked like real people - wrinkles, ect. It was good to see something less polished.

On my night stand is: The Complete Beck Diet for Life. I'm still at the beginning and taking it all in.

IsabelleLuke
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Total Nutrition by Joy Bauer

Paramedic
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Still reading the Harry Potter books and I'm about half way through the 4th book. I still have to buy the rest of the books, though...

On the side, I'm reading the Necronomicon, which was provided by my SO. It's a fairly hard read (for me), so I'm not flying through it like I do with my other books. Still, it's very interesting and I love H.P. Lovecraft's sense of dread.

therex
07-06-2010, 04:56 AM
On the side, I'm reading the Necronomicon, which was provided by my SO. It's a fairly hard read (for me), so I'm not flying through it like I do with my other books. Still, it's very interesting and I love H.P. Lovecraft's sense of dread.

Yes! I want to own the big version that's leather bound and looks like some kind of satanic bible, it's very cute lol.

I'm currently reading no country for old men, but.. it's kinda boring lol.

CanadianCutie
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I finally finished that monster of a book, Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving, two days past my self imposed deadline. It had its moments of lol humor, but it felt so forced. The story did not flow. Sad when the author feels the need to point out who the hero of the story is in the final 100 pages or so.

Anyhow, onto Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy now. I have read many of her books and have enjoyed all that I've read.

I'm currently reading no country for old men, but.. it's kinda boring lol.

I've never read it, but I found the movie just horribly depressing. Well acted, but depressing. Because of this I had no desire to read the book.

Slim CB
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Cat and Mouse by James Patterson. I loove James Patterson

Onederchic
07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I finished Turning Angel by Greg Iles and started on The Quiet Game by the same author. I am also still reading the second book in The Vampire Chronicles series.

altoanya
07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Reading "Change of Heart" by Jodi Picoult
Also, Emily Giffin's books I just finished "Love the One You're With"

I read a lot, so I'll be posting a lot!

Stripes
07-07-2010, 12:29 PM
i havent read a book for ages, got the twilight books here unread... well i read 2 pages lol

loveAcat
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I just started reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See - very good so far!

charmtime
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I am reading Breathless by Dean Koontz. Sci-fi is usually not my thing but I am really into this book.

bliss
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I just finished "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. It reminded me a little bit of "Practical Magic" by Alice Hoffman but without all the flowery prose. BTW, the book "Practical Magic" is very different from the movie that stared Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. Enjoyed "Garden Spells", so I"m going to read another one she wrote called The Sugar Queen. I also recommend any of Alice Hoffman's books. Her descriptions are wonderful.

~bliss

meggoat
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
"I'm walking to: The girl who played with fire. I listened to "The girl with the dragon tatoo a couple of months ago and just say the movie. It was pretty darn good and was really close to the book. The movie was swedish, so it was all in subtitles and all the actors looked like real people - wrinkles, ect. It was good to see something less polished."

Just finished all three of these and really enjoyed the series. The last book has a character that inspired me to go back to the gym!! The first movie came out on DVD this week and looking forward to seeing it as I heard the actor who plays Lisbeth is great!! A friend of mine has read many Swedish thrillers/mysteries (by other authors) and I can't wait to dive into those.

For anyone who likes vampire books/movies, check out the Swedish vampire film: Let the Right One In. It's great!

alisonlerae
07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
I just got done reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely AMAZING. I will never look at my sweet dog the same again. I, too, just started "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", started off a little slow but now I absolutely can't put it down. :)

TXMary2
07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Currently reading, The Well Trained Mind.

meggoat
07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I just got done reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely AMAZING. I will never look at my sweet dog the same again. I, too, just started "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", started off a little slow but now I absolutely can't put it down. :)

His books do start off SLOW, but they're like a rollercoaster climbing slowly, slowly uphill and then - whoosh!! hang on to your seat! - it is so worth it.

Serbrider
07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm currently reading Spindle's End by Robin McKinley, my constant read of Small Animal Clinical Nutrition (Veterinary Medicine textbook), and the book I'm probably going to read after that is either going to be The Lovely Bones or Wicked. Or maybe Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. Depends on what mood I'm in. ;)

Stella4
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm reading 'Secret Daughter' by Shilpi S. Gowda. (it is realllly great so far)

Next on my list is 'Alternatives to Sex' by Stephen McCauley. (it's actually about real estate, LOL)

Usually, I read mostly memoirs and biographies, but I thought I would change it up a little bit.

alisonlerae
07-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Tell me about it! I'm already on "The Girl Who Played With Fire". Again, slow. But I'm sure it will be will worth it. :)

alinnell
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. DH tried desperately to finish The Girl Who Played with Fire before we went to the movie, but he was 2 chapters short. Now he can't wait to finish #2 to go onto #3. And there was an article that there really is a (yet unnamed) #4!

So no I'm re-reading Bret Easton Ellis' Less than Zero (which I loved in college and am finding it rather tedious this time around). After that I'll read his new book, which is a sequel, Imperial Bedroom. I wonder if I'll find that as tedious?

westernsoutherngirl
07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I am reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Really enjoying it!

AmyK180
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm reading A Million Little Pieces right now and I'm not liking his writing style that well... especially after just reading Middlesex! lol

alinnell
07-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I have Eat, Pray, Love on my nightstand. I picked it up a couple of years ago on a buy 2 get one free sale. I'd heard it was good from some people and as soon as I bought it, others said otherwise. But now seeing the movie ads makes me want to read it (but we'll probably wait for the movie to hit DVD so I'm in no hurry).

I enjoyed both Middlesex and A Million Little Pieces. Of course, I read A million little pieces BEFORE the controversy! I had a hard time believing parts of it, though.

alinnell
07-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Ok, all you avid readers: Have you ever heard of Bookswim (http://www.bookswim.com/index.html)? It's like Netflix for books. I haven't looked at it closely, but it looks promising.

altoanya
07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Bookswim looks so awesome! Thanks for the link! When I get back to making a steady paycheck (been off from surgery) I will definitely sign up. It will save me so much $ in the long run! Plus not having to drive 45 minutes to a big library is a plus! I have a teeny tiny one near me and the librarian is rude. Plus they are only open a few hours a day, Not even open on Fridays/ Sundays/ Tuesdays. The rest of the time they are open like 8-1 and thats it. Let me know how you like it, if you decide to join!

Adrienne

ANOther
07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Just past the halfway point of Wicked (Jilly Cooper); still about 400 pp to go. I think I'll keep Play Dead in reserve until October (since it's both football and Halloween seasons). Frank Deford was on the Today show plugging a new novel, Bliss, Remembered, about a romance between a 1936 Olympic swimmer and a German guy

lizziep
07-15-2010, 02:27 PM
for the summer i'm taking a break from the heavy sci-fi and fantasy tomes i am usually carting around for some good old fashioned mystery murder trashy novels! I'm really into Lisa Gardner books right now, finished one, half way thru another one, and i have a third one waiting. sometimes it's good to read for entertainment- well i guess i always read for entertainment... but... it's nice to read and not have to really think about anything.

caribbeangirl02
07-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone!!! How are you all enjoying your summer?
As far as my reading list, here it is:

South of Broad by Pat Conroy (love his prose and beatiful writing style)

The Girl Who Played with Fire- Stieg Larsson (read the 1st one of the trilogy and loved it!!!) It seems that everybody is reading these books!!

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (very charming novel about the British class system, family obligations and love across people from very different cultural backgrounds)

Cheers,

Caribbean Girl

WaterRat
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. DH tried desperately to finish The Girl Who Played with Fire before we went to the movie, but he was 2 chapters short. Now he can't wait to finish #2 to go onto #3. And there was an article that there really is a (yet unnamed) #4!

Hmmm, I hadn't heard that, but the guy is died before #3 was published. I wonder if someone else has taken it on....

I'm still on the first for various reasons, but I'm finally into it. :)

I read Eat, Pray, Love when it first came out. I enjoyed the first two sections much more than the third. I'll probably see the movie though, if just for the scenery. :)

Mostly I've been reading British mysteries set in WWI and earlier. Just finished a series of 3 by Charles Finch, and have C S Harris one next. I also recently finished The Help and thought it was great. I'm listening to an older Jodi Picoult Song of the Humpback Whales which just came out in audio last year. On my MP3 player I'm listening to Alexander McCall Smith's book that he published online on the London Telegraph website. It's called Corduroy Mansions. I downloaded all the podcasts which are a chapter long - about 7 minutes each.

alinnell
07-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that, but the guy is died before #3 was published. I wonder if someone else has taken it on....

Yes, he died right after handing in the first three manuscripts. Apparently he had most of the 4th done at the time and it was on his laptop. His live-in girlfriend of many, many years first said she had the laptop, but now is not saying. All of his estate went to his father and brother because he had no will and he wasn't married. I guess she worked with him in doing editing and proof reading so she's very familiar with the work so it is possible that either she finished it or is working with someone to finish it (or I suppose they could publish it unfinished). There's been some write-up about it on several news sources so you could Google it.

cheryl126
07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
I just joined paperbackswap.com and have been receiving so many books in the mail (while clearing out my old ones) that I'm in the middle of a bunch right now...

The ones I've been reading in the last couple of days are:
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (I really love her style of writing - I think I'll get into this one)
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (I'm only on pg 10 or something, but it's good so far)
The Hot Zone...it's the discovery of Ebola and started out really good, but I'm getting a little bored with it now.

lukesmom
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Just finished reading Mayday by Nelson DeMille. Got a Kindle for Christmas and I'm reading way too much (if that is possible). Going back...reading author's first books.

FrouFrou
07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Last few reads for this month are...

T is for Trespass...Sue Grafton
Vanishing Act...Fern Michaels
Chill Factor...Sandra Brown
The Marriage Game...Fern Michaels
On the Banks of Plum Creek...Laura Ingalls Wilder

And currently reading Women, Food and God...Geneen Roth

Bac0s
07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
I just finished Jane Green's newest book, Promises to Keep, along with one called The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow. Both were excellent and had me sobbing at the end.

Onederchic
07-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I had gotten to the third book in the Vampire Chronicles series, 'Queen of the Damned' and felt like my brain cells were evaporating :o so I put it down and moved on to 'Practical Magic' by Alice Hoffman. I am also still reading 'True Evil' by Greg Iles.

alinnell
07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm so excited! STARZ is doing a mini-series of Pillars of the Earth starting July 23rd! It has Ian McShane and Donald Sutherland in it. I loved this book and hope they do it justice.

Ciao
07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Just started this book.
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. :D

charmtime
07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Glory87
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I have Pillars of the Earth set to record.

I just finished reading Nothing to Envy (http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-Ordinary-Lives-North/dp/0385523904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279483538&sr=1-1), stories about defectors from North Korea. I knew things were bad in North Korea but it was a real eye-opener.

kris2008
07-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Just started Girl with Dragon Tatoo! Where was I when these books started coming out? Very happy to read something different and know more about Sweden. Had to get online to look at Stockholm and read about weather etc. Warmer than I thought and less snow than I thought but 34 hours of sunlight in December, really? That would be hard.

Onederchic
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I finished up "Practical Magic' and I loved it! Next book = "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown

Stella4
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Just finished 'Secret Daughter' by Gowda - soooo good. Haven't read a book so enlightening in a long time!

SheGos91
07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Reading one of my favorite books as a kid Summer of my german soldier :)

Smiling_Sara
07-23-2010, 11:52 PM
The Weight Loss Diaries by Courtney Rubin

Hey Jude
07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Just finished 'Secret Daughter' by Gowda - soooo good. Haven't read a book so enlightening in a long time!

I just read that book too, and really enjoyed it. I had no idea of some of conditions in India being that bad. It had a really good storyline too.

Hey Jude
07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm so excited! STARZ is doing a mini-series of Pillars of the Earth starting July 23rd! It has Ian McShane and Donald Sutherland in it. I loved this book and hope they do it justice.

I don't think we get Starz here in Canada. :( I would love to see this! I loved that book!

Jenteal
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Just finishing up Green For Life - Victoria Boutenko :)

Alicia87
07-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Just finished "Heart of the Matter" by Emily Giffin, and finished rereading "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks - one of my all time favorites!!

I'm currently reading "Names My Sisters Call Me" by Megan Crane, and "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Berlin

I'm almost always reading two or three books at a time, lol! I've read a lot this month, I forgot about this thread, but I'll remember next month, I love seeing what other people are reading... :)