Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #1  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Well...... I made the call to my DR today

I have always had under lying depression but i could usally shake it......
But for about a month now I cant shake it, I bust out crying all the time, even thoughts of well, if I end it I wont feel this way any more

So today I called, It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do ....I swallowed my pride and saying it's ok to be weak....... I need help
I have to do this for myself and my family I know they see it ..... It's the unsaid song in our home

So question does weight gain cause depression?
I've never been this heavy, or this depressed

Michelle

Last edited by 707Goddess; 06-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #2  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Michelle, I am so sorry that you are going through this, I know it must be hard on you and your family. I am glad to hear that you got some help. Does that mean you have an appointment to see someone?

I absolutely think that depression and weightloss are intermingled. If you don't feel good about yourself, you eat. At least, that's what I did. I had a horrible childhood (won't go into detail), but I had considered ending it at one point, but then thought about how much damage that would do to my family and I just couldn't do it.

I truly hope that you get the help you need. You will be in my thoughts!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #3  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thanks Vicky and yes I have an appt tomorrow morning
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Michelle, I don't know the answer to your questions, but just wanted to let you know that I think it was very courageous to take the step of calling your doctor. I hope she (or he) is able to help. Let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by LotusMama; 06-29-2010 at 03:26 PM.
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #5  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Height: 5'5"

Michelle,

I am so glad you made the appointment! I'm sure that even taking that first step lifted some burden off your shoulders.

Thinking of you and your family.

dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Most definitely! I was so depressed when I was heavier- I feel so much better about myself now that I've been losing weight. It's slowly but surely but it's coming off!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there Michelle, I couldn't help but notice your question about weight gain and depression. I'm not a doctor or medical professional, but I have dealt with depression as well as obesity for as long as I can remember.

Many people say that depression and weight gain go hand in hand. You have to remember that when most people gain weight, its a result of eating unhealthy foods. When I say unhealthy foods, I usually mean foods with a lot of empty calories, chemicals you can't pronounce, and ingredients so refined that they have lost most of their nutritional value.

So you can imagine when your eating unhealthy, your body isn't getting the right vitamins/minerals/and nutrients it needs to stay healthy. Often times when I eat unhealthy I get into a "Blah" mood, where I feel crappy, tired and don't feel like doing anything at all.

Aside from the physical effects of weight gain, it has psychological effects too. Everyone is different of course, so this may not be the case for you. But for me personally, being overweight caused so much emotional pain and hardship in my life.

The media that we are exposed to every day is covered with tall, beautiful, and thin women. It may not bother you, or you may not even notice, but eventually you might start believing that is normal and is how you should look. For me, this is one of the things that lead to a lifetime of feeling worthless, being ashamed of how I looked, and having almost no confidence in myself.

Last spring I started eating healthy foods and began loosing weight. I went from 245lbs to just under 200. (This was before I gained it all, and then some back after Christmas) My depression started to fade as I lost the weight. It didn't go away completely, but I felt good about myself. I was proud of my accomplishments and I finally thought I looked beautiful. Not only did I feel a lot better psychologically, I had felt better physically. My energy level pretty much doubled, I could finally breath again after going up a flight of stairs too.

I truly hope that things start looking better for you I'm also very proud you have the courage to seek help. It's a situation that can leave you feeling vulnerable and scared. I hope that I didn't ramble on too much in this post, but when I saw it, it reminded of some of the issues I was going through and how it was directly related to my weight.

I know that it can be hard to keep hanging on sometimes, but never give up hope, and never stop believing in yourself. If you ever need any help or support in getting through rough times, we are all here for you
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #8  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

Asking for help is a great thing. One thing I would suggest though is ask them to check your vitamin D levels. A vitamin D deficiency can cause depression. I suffered from varying degrees of depression for years, was on different anti-depressants and even had fleeting thoughts of what it would be like to "just be done." I was diagnosed with a large vitamin D deficiency last fall and put on a large dose of Vitamin D and it's amazing how much better I feel. It's worth looking into. A Vitamin D deficiency can also cause fibromyalgia type pain (and sometimes a wrong diagnosis of fibromyalgia). Good luck to you.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Michelle,
Congratulations on your decision. I know how hard it is because I have made the same decision several times in my life. I saw many docs over the years and tried SO many different meds, but none of them made me feel good enough to stay on them. I have also felt what you have, that maybe things would be better if it was all over. I never actually considered going through with it, though. I have 3 kids and just couldn't do that to them. An yes, you have to do it for yourself and your family.
Hopefully, I made that important decision for the last time about 8 months ago. I finally found a doc who diagnosed bipolar disorder and I have been on the correct meds and have never felt better. I wouldn't trade the way I feel for the world and I know my family sees the difference in me and appreciates it.
I have been overweight for a long time. I honestly don't know if the depression causes the weight gain or the other way around. They kind of go hand in hand. Since I have been on the "right meds" I have started eating much healthier, more fruits and vegetables and almost no processed foods with ingredients I can't pronounce. I have also completely given up soda and drink only water with an occassional iced tea.
Eating better has made me feel much better and I have lost 30 pounds. It feels awesome!! I have been told that when my body is ready I will be able to give up the meds. I don't know about that one, only time will tell.
Maybe your depression is temporary and maybe not but if you need the help right now GET IT. It may be the thing you need to start you on the right path. Also remember that you might have to try different meds or combinations before you find the right one for you. Be patient, it's worth it. And if you need someone to talk to who understands, I'm here for you.

Susan
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Height: 5'6

I hope that the doctor appointment went well and that it wasn't as bad as you had thought it would be. I also hope that you are feeling much better now. I think that you did the right thing!
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Michelle, I want to say that I am in the same boat as you are. I was clean eating, but fell off the wagon.... but getting my way back. Let me know what the doctor said....

Thank you and your husband for his service! Hooah! I am an Army Mom to a deployed soldier and it is eating me up inside!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote