Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238 (all-time high)/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Thinking of counting calories AND low carbs

I have been eating low cal for 2 months now. I'm staying between 1200-1400 cals a day. I exercise daily, usually walking 30 minutes a day, sometimes 60 minutes. I have lost 9 pounds and haven't really lost anymore in about 2 weeks.

So I'm wondering if my body just can't deal with carbs. I was thinking if I cut the fruit some and up'd the low carb veggies, that I may get back to losing. I don't think I want to go to true no carb/Atkins as I don't care for a lot of meat and I am trying to lower my cholesterol. Does anyone do a plan like this?
I Can And I Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I'd suggest you check out the South Beach Diet forum...I began doing it recently, and I am having success. I think it might help you.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Do you have PCOS- you just may have issues with carbs like many people with PCOS do. Also if you have insulin resistance

That being said I basically follow a south beach lifestyle which emphasizes eating the right carbs and right fats as well. I do eat lower carb overall cuz of my PCOS. I try to get 40% carbs a day, if the number increases because of vegetables I don't worry too much because I figure vegetable carbs are different than bread type carbs.

I sort of track calories cuz I use sparkpeople but only look at the carb number- I happen to notice I'm getting around 1300 calories a day though
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I would worry less about fruit and more about starches--potatoes and bread and pasta. Do you eat things like that? Fruit has a great deal of water and fiber in it, so it tends to leave me feeling sated. The same number of carbs in a slice of bread or bowl of pasta or potatoes goes so quickly that I forget even eating it.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/146.6/129

Height: 5'5

that is basically what i do - count cals and watch carbs. to echo the other posters the south beach forum is a great place to get some ideas on what to eat. while i no longer follow south beach because it didn't quite work for me, i appreciate the main mantras of south beach which are eat complex carbs like whole grain breads and cereals, eat NATURAL which for me is huge because it encourages veggies and beans (even though they can be "carby", and keep grains/starches to a minor part of your meals (ie no toast at breakfast if you're going to have pasta at night, smaller servings etc).
lisa130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I also monitor my carbs while counting calories. And I will second the South Beach recommendations. There are several other plans out there that also follow the glycemic index of carb counting and will allow carbs but those that are good carbs.

Low carb is not just atkins. Most of the "meal plan" options of low cal dieting (nutrisystem, jenny craig, etc) are low glycemic index/low carb now.

For me, its as simple as having one meal a day with whole grain bread. If I have toast for breakfast, I won't eat a sandwhich at lunch.

Its also a simple as passing up on potatoes or starch at dinner. But occasionally having potato or rice isn't bad, you just work it in for the day.

Exchanging a protein for a starch a day is also another option. It boils down to watching your carb/protein/fat percentages. Keeping protein equal to or higher than carb.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Do you have PCOS- you just may have issues with carbs like many people with PCOS do. Also if you have insulin resistance
No, I went to the doctor and had a lot of bloodwork earlier this year. I think I'm fine, other than being overweight.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I would worry less about fruit and more about starches--potatoes and bread and pasta. Do you eat things like that? Fruit has a great deal of water and fiber in it, so it tends to leave me feeling sated. The same number of carbs in a slice of bread or bowl of pasta or potatoes goes so quickly that I forget even eating it.
Yes, I do (did) eat potatoes, bread and pasta. Although I always keep it within my 1200-1400 calories a day.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #9  

Here's an update from my post earlier this week. After posting I decided to make some changes to try and get myself out of this super slow-losing rut.

1. I cut my carbs. I traded my whole grain bread for the low carb bread and I only ate bread once a day - at lunch for my ham sandwich at work. I got rid of my baked Lays I usually have with the ham sandwich and replaced it with carrots and a boiled egg. For dinner, I've stayed away from potatoes and pasta and have had more protein. I continued counting calories and stayed within 1200-1400.

2. I also started adding 20 minutes on the eliptical. I've heard you burn more on the eliptical, so I decided to give it a try. Surprisingly, I don't hate it as much as I thought I did.

3. I did very light weight training 2 evenings this week. I just used my 3 pound weights and did several arm exercises. To this point, I hadn't done anything with weights.

4. I tried to up my water intake to at least 64 oz, sometimes more. I'm bad about drinking enough water, as it makes me run to the bathroom more than I would like at work.

Results:
I've had a headache several days, but I think it might be my body complaining about the lack of carbs. I feel great today though and get this - I have lost 4.5 pounds this week!! I was shocked this morning when I weighed myself. I hope I can stay on track this weekend with the grill-outs and company coming, but I am more determined than ever now!

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and support!

Last edited by I Can And I Will; 07-02-2010 at 08:25 AM.