Weight Loss Support - newbie accountability

View Full Version : newbie accountability

skygirl
06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
i'm new. well, signed up a while ago but getting started now, so new in that way. i started yesterday and i am posting in various places, but feel like i wanted/needed to make a post of my own so that i am accountable to myself and can post about my daily progress, as a new person, and with the struggles and victories of starting out, and of course not "knowing" anyone here at the moment.

it's just something i feel like i need to do for accountability and to be visible, if only to myself, if that makes any sense, instead of hiding or getting lost in places. i feel like maybe that has been part of what has been missing in the past, the not wanting to be visible, and is maybe part of why i ended up this way, and is somethig i recognize i need to change, and am ready to change. and so doing this just feels like an important part of that for me somehow.

if anyone else would like to post here too, whether new or old, please feel free. if not, that's ok too, i'll just come back and log my progress so i can see it and it can be seen, so that i am not hiding or blending in to the point of not being visible and then just quitting because i "wasn't really doing it" anyway. i hope that makes sense. and like i said, i already am and will continue to be posting in other places, too.

i was on plan yesterday for nutrition. and on plan today, day 2, for nutrition. yesterday and today included salmon, chicken, turkey, cabbage, tomato, avacado, mustard, water, green tea. i am allowing myself to be repetitive because at least for the first few months i think what will work for me is keeping it simple and do-able and routine.

i hoped to work out yesterday, but didn't. and i planned to work out today, but didn't. so this is maybe going to be a challenge area for me. i am bummed about it, but i am going to try again tomorrow. and of course, i am celebrating the good part of being on plan with nutrition.

i hope everyone else had a good day.

schubunny
06-28-2010, 11:36 PM
i hoped to work out yesterday, but didn't. and i planned to work out today, but didn't. so this is maybe going to be a challenge area for me. i am bummed about it, but i am going to try again tomorrow. and of course, i am celebrating the good part of being on plan with nutrition.

i hope everyone else had a good day.

First off... Welcome! :)

You post sounds a lot like me, especially this part about the gym.

I find the hardest part is getting myself changed into my workout clothes and get into the car. After that I tell myself that it's too late to turn back, do an hour workout, then go home satisfied that I achieved my goal.

One day at a time, as they say!

TimeToTryAgain
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey there you two! I'm feeling the same way- I am more of a lurker than anything else because I haven't found an accountability home either. I've been in and out of here for years (I realized yesterday :( ) and I'm just not getting ANYWHERE.
My biggest struggle comes the next day, when I feel like nothing is changing and it's just easier to give up. I just rode 142 miles this weekend for Bike MS and didn't BUDGE the scale.

Skygirl, what is your nutrition plan?

StephanieM
06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I think we all need an accountability check at least once in awhile :)

I did not work out yesterday due to family issues and even ate an extra 250 calories that I did not need or hunger for, just ate out of stress.

We have similar height, starting weight and goals, maybe we could be accountability buddies? I'd like it if I had someone to check in with. I think my fiance is getting tired of talking about what we ate each day as well as me talking about what kind of work out I did, haha.

chnkymonkey
06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Good thread Skygirl. I'll be reading to see your accountibility. :)

I came here 3 weeks ago under the same pretense and I've definatly found that reading and posting here has been crucial to me staying on plan and focused.

motivated chickie
06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I think an accountability thread is a good idea Skygirl

I am doing one myself in Chicks in Control to cope with my binge eating disorder.

Looking forward to your posts.

skygirl
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
schubunny--thanks! :) you bring up a good point about feeling better once you know your workout is done for the day. i know once i get it going i will be relieved and happier!

timetotryagain--thanks! :) i know what you mean about accountability, which is why i felt i needed this. in some ways, it feels good to post like this, and in other ways it's uncomfortable for me to post like this. but i know it's important. and i feel like in some ways it will mirror the new nutrition plan and fitness plan, which in some ways feel good to me and in other ways make me uncomfortable. i think that kind of stretching and getting out of my comfortable cocoon is what it will take for me.

wow 142 miles, that's amazing! i've heard that after long intense exercise like that the scale can even go up because the muscles are retaining fluid, so give it a few days.

my nutrition plan in it's most basic form is to eat things that have nutritional value. after years of eating mostly things that do not have much nutritional value, i think i am one of those people who is malnourished despite having extra weight. i've read a little bit about a variety of plans and tried to notice some common threads in them (zone, south beach, low glycemic, atkins, etc). so based on some of that general info, i'm keeping protien high to help prevent muscle loss, eating lots of veggies, healthy fats, and drinking 90+ ounces of water a day when possible. to start, i am getting carbs from veggies so that i can help burn fat instead of glycogen. but if i feel like i need it, i will have whole grains and low glycemic fruits, and those will be added in during maintenance if they haven't already been added by that time. i'm loosely aiming for 1200 calories during the losing phase and 1400 during maintentance, but will tweak as needed.

stephaniem--thanks! :) yes that would be great to have someone to check in with! i know what you mean about talking with people around you about all of this. when i don't stick to plan for some reason, i'm going to try to be accountable but not throw myself off the tracks, which has been an issue for me in the past. ;)

chnkymonkey--thanks! :) yes that's what i keep telling myself, just read and post, read and post, keep going, you can do this.

motivatedchickie--thanks! :) i may end up seeing you over there in the binge section as this has been an issue for me too. ;)

i hope everyone is having a great day! i'll be back to post about my day tonight. :)

skygirl
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
well i succeeded at staying on plan for nutrition for day 3, which i am happy about. having sugar and binge issues, there were times today when thoughts of sugar were potentially problematic. i had a few sugar-free mints from spry, which have xylitol in them, and that got me through.

but i still have not worked out. i thought about this today and decided that i need to try going to sleep earlier and getting up earlier so i can work out first thing, so that i know that it's done. and i need to make sure i'm getting enough sleep in general. i think those are things that have been playing a role in my not working out yet.

the other thing i think is happening is that just by not eating all of the sugar and junk, i feel lighter, i don't feel as uncomfortable or have that sick pressure in my stomach from binging, and that is good in some ways and strange in others. and i am feeling less drugged and unconscious from not having the sugar and junk, which is also good in some ways and strange in others. so i think my anxiety level is a little up, and subconsciously maybe i know that working out will increase the light less drugged less unconscious feeling. and maybe i need to ease into that. so i am working on that.

i got a signature today which was cool. weight went down a tiny bit, and it is of course just water at this point, but the losing of the excess water that the body holds when eating junk is part of the process at the beginning when you stop eating so much junk, so i am letting myself be happy about it. because, it is something.

hope everyone had a great day. :)

StephanieM
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Congratulations on the ticker! It's always nice when you go down a bit and can show it off :)

If you want, message me and we can talk about how we'll get this accomplished.

chnkymonkey
06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Good for you for staying on plan.

When I'm not feeling like exercise I trick myself into it. I'll start with a 10 min walk. But that means 10 mins away from my starting point so I have to go 10 mins back. :) And when I reach 10, usually my mood has picked up and I wont feel so bad, so I'll tell myself I'll run for 5 more mins out, then come back. If I'm tired, then I'll go back home, and at least I got a 20 min workout which is better than nothing.

Leonor
06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Great idea!

I had Sushi yesterday, husband's birthday. I ate 600 calories during the day so should still be ok, at any rate I'm not weighing myself until Sunday.

I need to find a gym finally,but I'm new to the area and pre-school is off for summer and it needs to have childcare. Can someone kick my butt so I finally look at the 2 options that are here? I'm kind of sitting it out because I have to be ~ 180 to fit into my old workout clothes and it seems wasteful to buy a new set. I know in the long run I will have to exercise though, my metabolism is slow.

skygirl
06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
stephaniem--thanks! :) yes i'll message you. i'll try to figure out how to do that tonight. love your can-do attitude! how are things going for you?

chnkymonkey--thanks! :) great idea about getting started with a five minute walk and then going up from there. i am determined to do this no later than friday. how are things going for you?

leonor--thanks! :) sushi, yum. regarding the gyms, maybe you could start with calling them tomorrow morning to see if either/both have childcare, and then tomorrow afternoon drive to the ones that do to get a feel for them and see if you like one better. then you can give it some thought, and maybe walk/run around your neighborhood until you feel like your workout clothes fit comfortably again, and then go to the gym you picked out.

ok so i made it through day 4 on plan for nutrition, which i am very grateful for. i thought about sugar again today, and had a few sugar-free mints which again got me through it. went down a bit again today, even though it's water, still something to be glad about.

got some bad news today. and had a change of schedule today and tomorrow related to that news. still haven't exercised, but i am determined to do this on friday at the latest.

hope eveyone had a great day! :)

Leonor
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks! I chatted with one of the gyms and decided to use that one. One step forward at least :dizzy:. Won't be going there until next week because my husband is off for the long weekend and I want to spend time with him.

Why are you not eating any sugar? Your nutritional goals maybe? I bought myself mini popsicles, 40 calories each. When I feel like I need something sweet I have one of those.

SweetEpiphany
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey,

I am kinda new too, in that I just started really talking in the forums just a few days ago. It's funny, I just logged on because I am seriously in the middle of a crazy sugar craving for those little gummy candies that look like frogs. I thought if I went on here, instead I could either find some advice on dealing with cravings, or feel motivate or guilted into not giving into mine. It is working.

So, far I have been on top of my plan for myself. I am using SparkPeople to help keep within my calorie range and have gone to the gym 3 days in a row. Today will be 4 in a row. Oh, and I have weighed myself every morning for 3 days.

Thanks for starting this thread SkyGirl

Leonor
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Ha ha, when I feel like binging or indulging when I shouldn't I look here,too :p. And yes, it works :carrot:

And I love Haribo gummy frogs.

I will not give in and instead be skinny for Christmas...repeat...and repeat :cool:

skygirl
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
leonor--hey that's cool, glad you found a gym you like. i'm avoiding sugar for now, and hopefully for a while, because i am addicted to sugar and have binge issues. for me, i can't just eat a little bit of sugar and stop. if i eat any then i go way overboard with it. so in order to stay on track and avoid a binge i am avoiding sugar. at least for now. it may be that at some time in the future i will get to a place where i can just have a little, but until then i need to stay away from it. which is not easy for me. ;)

sweetepiphany--thanks! :) yes, i did the same thing, joined a while ago but didn't start posting until recently. i just feel like i need to do it in order to stay on track. and wow, you're doing great on plan for food and exercise for 4 days. that's great! you are kicking my butt on the exercise front! ;) i love your signature.

ok so i made it through day 5 on plan for nutrition. it was hard. today was the continuation of the bad news from yesterday. and i am exhausted and stressed and would like to do nothing more than have way more calories than i need, all in sugar of course. but i have held steady all day. and i'm grateful to whatever it is that has allowed me to do that. i just tried to remember how cr*ppy i feel after a binge, how out of control i feel. and i don't want to feel that way. so feeling this way, which is having cravings and feeling uncomforable because of that, has to be something i can do. was down another half today, so celebrating that.

next up, exercise for tomorrow. i think i can i think i can i think i can.

hope everyone is having a great day! :)

skygirl
07-02-2010, 10:15 PM
happily, i made it through day 6 on plan for nutrition. and... on plan for exercise. finally!

got on the treadmill for half and hour and even breifly (very very briefly) jogged at the end. i may need to recover a bit more from a respiratory infection before jogging for too long, but i'm going to keep trying and see what happens. i was so relieved to finally exercise and not have that hanging over me.

made it through a tense trip to the grocery store when i was hungry and binge/trigger foods were around every corner. (what am i nuts :dizzy: to go shopping when hungry? had no choice though, was out of food due to the unexpected schedule change the last few days and had to go while hungry.) but i made it.

scale was down a bit more today, which totally helped lift my spirits and helped with my motivation.

i am so grateful to be making some progress and so grateful for whatever is allowing me to do that. and so thankful to have this place to come to.

SweetEpiphany
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Ok, so today was rough mostly because I overslept which threw me for a loop. I ended up going to Starbucks for breakfast. Yikes! The first thing I did after eating that was google exactly how many calories I had just consumed. It was crazy! But I still stayed in my calorie range for the day, and worked out, so all is not lost. Yay 5 straight days of working out. :carrot: I'm very happy about that, but I think that I have not eaten enough calories for today when I plug in the fact that I worked out. I guess that is what can happen when you wake up closer to lunchtime than breakfast. :o

Tomorrow is a new day. Hoping I will wake up on time, cook my own breakfast and get off to a good weekend.

skygirl
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
sweetepiphany--congrats on staying in your calorie range for the day and working out, cool!

just checking in here quickly, busy day. i made it through day 7 on plan for nutrition and exercise. i really did not want to exercise. one of the reasons i got it done was because i knew i needed to come here and publicly post my accountability. if not for that, i think i would have found some reason to get out of it and tried to rationalize to myself that it was ok. i am so glad that i decided to be accountable in this way. i knew i needed it. i knew it was what i needed to be different this time. and i am so glad i'm doing it, because it is helping me to increase the potential of finally doing this for real. scale went down a bit today, and i am grateful.

hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend! :)

SweetEpiphany
07-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks skygirl

Yesterday was interesting because I forgot that the gym was closed this weekend for the July 4th holiday. I live in a college town and go to the college gym, so they have weird schedules. Anyway, I go up there, and then see that there are no cars in the parking lot and remember it's closed. For a second, I wanted to just go home and do nothing. But, I drove to the outdoor track and walked for 40 minutes instead. :D

I feel so committed right now to my workout and eating plan. It's a great feeling. :exercise:

skygirl
07-05-2010, 01:48 AM
sweetepiphany--good for you for still working out and not giving up when the gym was closed. that can be tough sometimes when something presents as an obstacle but you still find a way to do it (at least it can be for me ;)).

i stayed on plan today for nutrition and exercise. upped my treadmill workout to 40 minutes. scale went down a bit today, so glad.

week one summary, 7 days on plan for nutrition, 2 days on plan for for exercise, weight 11% towards goal. things i'm going to try to improve for week 2 include more workouts, and trying to start drinking my water earlier in the day so i'm not up all night.

challenges are that i have sugar cravings most days and binge cravings most days. also my mind is sort of in overdrive, wondering what if i can't keep up my new health and wellness lifestyle, what if i do keep it up but i don't lose any more weight, what if i do keep it up and i do lose more weight but i'm still not comfortable because of the damage the additonal weight caused.

but when any of that comes up i just keep reminding myself how stressed the way i was living was making me. ironic, i know, since too much of the wrong foods seemed like a reaction to or an escape from stress. but every time i do something to stay on plan i just feel such a huge sense of relief. and i remind myself that as hard as it can be for me to stay on plan, it is not as hard as being addicted and out of control and unhappy.

wishing everyone happiness and relief! :)

Suzie Parker
07-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi Skygirl and every one else!

Skygirl, are you totally avoiding sugar? Sugar is actually addictive and if you go off sugar, you can struggle with sugar cravings. And I also know some artificial sweeteners also makes you crave sugar.

My dietitian said that I may have 3 teaspoons of sugar, and I'll still lose weight. Maybe you should also try to put sugar back in your diet, but maybe also have only 3 teaspoons a day like me.

I've also found that the very best way to ensure that you get a workout in is to go first thing in the morning. So try to go to bed earlier and get up earlier to exercise. If you do that you won't struggle to exercise.

Another thing that have worked for me, is to get non-exercise activities that also helps with weight loss. I have a dance class every Thursday and my fiancť and I plays tennis Saturday and Sunday mornings. See if you can also find some fun activities to do that will help you burn off some calories. What about taking belly dance or even pole dance classes?

Good luck, I hope you get on track with your exercise plan!

Leonor
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
7 days into my diet I lost just a little over 3 pounds. That includes a gruesome 3 pounds I put on over night and which surely must be water retention because my body doesn't realize yet how fabulous I'll look when I hit my goal :devil:

Will register for the free 7 day trial pass for Gym by Wednesday. Will also get out my gym clothes and squeeze myself in.

Someone posted they pre-pack fruit into 100 calorie packs and I think I'll try that today because yesterday night I stole some chips on the way to bed :o

I totally understand the avoidance of triggers that lead to overeating. There are some dishes I don't even want to try (yet) because I love them so much I'll just eat and eat and eat.

skygirl
07-06-2010, 12:00 AM
susieparker--thanks! :) yeah, i'm avoiding sugar, because i'm addicted to it and it's a trigger food for binges, so i have to be completely off of it, at least for now. i'm sure i'll have sugar and binge cravings for the rest of my life, since it's so addictive, but i think it's worse at the beginning. i totally agree on getting up early for workouts. i even set that as a goal for last week, i just didn't succeed. :dizzy: but i'll keep trying. i'm in a bit of a night owl phase at the moment and it's been a challenge shifting back. i've seen some segments on tv about pole dancing classes for exercise, looks fun. ;)

leonor--congrats on your loss! that rocks! :) i know what you mean about water weight gains overnight. not a fun thing to see on the scale the next day. i feel your pain. ;)

ok so today i was on plan for nutrition and exercise. but i have been feeling like cr*p all day, down and off, not sure why. but it was the toughest day yet. gotta keep going.

hope everyone had a great day! :)

skygirl
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. felt a little better this morning than i did yesterday but then in the afternoon felt off again. thinking maybe this is the flu-like symptoms people can get when they start something like low glycemic or south beach or atkins and you can feel a bit worse at first as you adjust to getting all the high sugar stuff out of your system. candy was a theme in one of my dreams last night, lol, can definitely tell my mind and body are craving junk. :dizzy: i will be glad when this new lifestyle has become a little more second nature.

hope everyone out there is having a great day! :)

SweetEpiphany
07-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey everyone! From the posts, it looks like we are all doing pretty good. Congrats on taking the step to get a trial gym membership and on your loss leonor!

skygirl - your dream about candy is pretty funny. At least you can eat it all you want in dreamland. I am a choco-holic, so I can totally relate.

Yesterday, I stayed on plan for nutrition, even though I did eat out. The poor waiter at the restaurant I went to had to go on a hunt for some nutrition facts about the menu. I ended up choosing a Salmon Asparagus salad because I didn't trust anything else. Lol. I did not get to work out though, but I did have an amazing massage. My first one ever actually. I'm hoping the massage releases some toxins from my body to help me on this weightloss journey.

Have a great day everyone!

skygirl
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
sweetepiphany--that's cool that you had the waiter find the nutritional value info. and salmon and asparagus, yum. your massage sounds fantastic. you may have inspired me to get one too. ;)

and lol, yes! i'm sure i'll be eating candy in my dreams for a while. ;)

ok so i was on plan for nutrition and exercise today. and today i am at 15% towards goal, and out of the 180s, both of which brought me a smile, and allowed me to make my first post in the mini-goal section, which was cool.

skygirl
07-09-2010, 12:01 AM
stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i was really tired and did not feel like working out. i decided to rest this evening and ended up falling asleep and slept through dinner and workout time. trying to be positive and not too hard on myself, i remembered that i had worked out twice yesterday, because i felt like it and had the energy to, and that maybe that was the reason i was tired today. i just decided that i would listen to my body and skip today's workout. but on the more critical thinking side, i have been struggling with not having the subconscious "coping" (in quotes because it was as destructive as it was soothing) tool of sugar/junk, which had long since become an automated response to stress. since starting this new lifestyle, that is not a real option anymore, and i'm noticing that every time i have stress and can't medicate it away like that, anxiety and frustration are left. and every day that seems to be compounding on some level. so i need to find a way to deal with that, both so that i can continue to move forward, and so that when i hopefully get where i am going everything won't fall apart because of unresolved issues. i had some dinner and got on the treadmill, and i am so glad i did.

i hope everyone had a good day! :)

skygirl
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
on plan for nutrition and exercise today. feeling a little panicked about this weekend, which is going to be really busy and have lots of scheduling issues and put me in environments that could be challenging for me.

i am trying to plan ahead and make decisions before the weekend starts. and i am trying to visualize making the right choices and staying on track. and trying to relax.

i'm going to stay accountable, because that seems to be just so helpful for me, even though i sometimes feel bizarrely unprotected or too visible or something. i don't know. still working on that. ;)

ok, hope everyone is rocking out! :)

skygirl
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
ok back to posting. i ended up with company in town and then being out of town briefly. i was around situations and people that challenge my resolve. i know this happens, it's life, but this is the first time i had several days in a row of these constant challenges solidly without a break/escape since i started.

i really felt like pretending that i had not done any work and that i had not made any progress. i wanted to quit and thought it wouldn't really matter if i did. this issue is obviously huge for me. i knew i should have been posting, but just didn't. :(

i managed to not go too far off the rails. i stayed in calorie range, didn't have any sugar/junk, didn't binge. but my water intake was low, my sodium intake was high, and i didn't exercise. this resulted in a half pound up, then down, etc., ending on a half pound down, so basically maintaining.

i'm getting back at it today. :)

i said this at the beginning but wanted to say it again, in case anyone happens to read this, that everyone is welcome to post here. current lurkers looking to start posting, recent de-lurkers and newbies that want a place to log accountability, oldies that maybe want to recommit to a mini-goal or feel a need to get back on track, anyone who thinks this kind of posting may be helpful to them.

if not, that's cool too. i'll just sing that song from camp when you're a kid, that worms song, and keep on posting. hey, i wonder if worms are considered to be on plan. ;)

skygirl
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
whoo-hoo, back on plan with nutrition and exercise today. it felt really good to work out again. my energy level and mood were lagging without it. i feel much better now. :sunny:

ok i should have posted this sunday, but since that was in the middle of the time i failed to post, here it is now. week 2 summary, 5 days on plan for nutrition, 2 days on plan for food/calories but not water/sodium, 6 days on plan for exercise, weight 6% closer to goal. aims for the upcoming/current week include trying to vary the workouts, maybe rotate in weights or yoga, and don't fail to post accountability, because that is connected to either losing focus or already having lost focus.

ok wishing everyone balance and clarity, myself included. :yoga:

skygirl
07-15-2010, 12:26 AM
on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i knew it was going to be a long stressful day, and it was. so i planned to get up early to workout, and i did it. yippee. :D first time since starting this new lifestyle that i got in a morning workout, even though i've been trying all this time. i may be moving towards my goals more slowly than i had hoped or would like, but i am moving.

i am hoping that everyone had a good day.

skygirl
07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i was not feeling well all day and was having a lot of trouble with thoughts of binges. nothing seemed to make me feel better. even the exercise only put a dent in it. ugh.

tomorrow is another day.

duckchick
07-16-2010, 02:34 AM
Wow, you're doing great! And I've had days where nothing penetrates the fog of my negativity. I hope it blows away tomorrow!

I need to get a scale to weigh myself, that should be my first goal, lol! I'm currently not on a diet, just trying to eat better and get rid of my acid reflux naturally. I think that's the worst part of eating that I deal with, the constant heartburn! I feel it constantly burning up into my esophagus, and I can tell you it's PAINFUL! I'm tired of taking pills and popping antacids. It's weird, but my desire to lose weight is actually secondary to my desire to get rid of the acid reflux!

I've left milk behind, and I'm trying to not cook with it either. Same with cheese, although that's a bigger challenge. I've been lactose intolerant for some time, and I know it's one of my acid reflux triggers. What makes me sad is that tomatoes are, too, and oranges and other fruits. I think the worst is that caffeine is supposed to be a trigger with some people, and being a night shift person, I really need caffeine!! Heck, I need it, period! I'm trying to cut back, though. I've started a food diary so that I can find my own personal triggers through process of elimination. Here's hoping!

I NEED to exercise more! I'm only walking usually, but lately I haven't even been doing that! I've noticed I've been using my games as an excuse, so I need to deal with that. In the past if I stuck with at least walking combined with eating just a tad better, I'd lose the weight. I need to focus, because that's really all it takes for me. :)

Oh, boy, I rambled! Well, it's nice meeting you, and I hope to also keep myself accountable! :cool:

skygirl
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
duckchick--thanks! :) i'm feeling better today.

i'm sorry you're dealing with the acid reflux. a friend of mine had some difficulty with that so i know it is not easy. great idea on the food journal to discover the triggers. i've been off dairy for a while too, since dairy can sometimes cause the body to produce more mucus, and i'm trying to see if it will help with an ongoing respiratory issue. and also because even natural sugars like those in dairy and fruit can trigger my sugar binges. so i hope to be able to add those back in at some point when i've gotten a little further down the road with no binges. i do allow myself to have coffee with cream, though, on occassion. but i miss organic greek yogurt and cheese sometimes.

you sound like you have a good plan in place with the scale, food diary, and walking. so far i've been weighing every day and trying to walk every day (although sometimes i'm not successful with that), too.

it's nice meeting you too, and i hope things are going well for you! :)

skygirl
07-17-2010, 12:19 AM
i was on plan for nutrition and exercise today. the day started out ok but then went downhill for motivation. it was a struggle to get the exercise in. i am concerned that i am doing the bare minimum to get by and not really living up to the true spirit of what i set out to do. i am frustrated with myself.

i hope everyone had a good day.

skygirl
07-18-2010, 01:35 AM
i was on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i think i am starting to notice small changes in different places, like my tummy and jawline. not big changes, but still, it shows me that change is possible and that hopefully things will be different in bigger ways sometime soon.

i hope everyone is having a good weekend and seeing changes of their own. :cool:

skygirl
07-19-2010, 01:12 AM
i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i was feeling like i could tell a slight difference, like clothes being a bit looser, and my tennis shoes too. so i decided to take some pics to see if i could tell the difference. this may have been a mistake, lol. ;) i could see a slight difference but what i mostly saw was how far i have to go. ugh, oh well. i was down for a while because of it, but then reminded myself that i didn't get here over night and i won't get where i'm going over night. and the only way to get there is to keep going. so i dusted myself off and got back at it.

week 3 summary, 7 days on plan for nutrition, 5 days on plan for exercise, weight 6% closer to goal. keep going...

skygirl
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i went to places that are really tied to food (ok, really, what isn't, or hasn't been ;)) and was able to make it through. i brought half a grilled chicken breast with me, and planned to a have decaf with cream (yum). i'm glad i was able to resist the normal pulls of the specific sugary/junky foods associated with the places i went, that was cool.

hope everyone's having a wonderful time of it and staying cool in this heat. :cool:

skygirl
07-21-2010, 12:44 AM
i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i am still feeling frustrated with myself, though, because i am not doing all of the things i would like to be doing, and aimed to do, specifically around the fitness aspects.

sometimes i wonder, am i doing everything that i can? am i letting time pass without making the most use of it? and i feel disappointed in myself, and feel like i have so far to go. other times, i try to remember the things that i have done. and i also wonder if doing some things but not others is some sort of silent wisdom i have that if i try to do everything at once then i may get burned out or may trigger my sabotage mechanism. so maybe a slow build is allowing me to keep going. i don't know. but i feel frustrated and impatient. and i keep having these same concerns over and over. gah.

i hope that everyone is consistently feeling the full happiness and relief of all the progress they are making (and i hope i do soon, too). :)

Luna1982
07-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Hey all, been in a bit of a funk the past week and didn't hardly exercise. But I did well on what I ate. Today, I got back on my treadmill and will go back to walking 5-6 days per week for 45 minutes at a time. Good news is, I fit into a pair of pants that were gagging me a few months ago. They're still snug, but fit.

Suzie Parker
07-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi Skygirl,

I think you should really give that pole dancing thing a go - it's sure to firm you up! What exercises are you doing at the moment?

skygirl
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
hi luna1982, that's cool that your pants fit better. always a good feeling. :)

hi suzie, thanks for bringing a smile and reminding me about the pole dancing thing. right now i'm mainly doing HIIT/incline work on the treadmill. and trying to be more active in general during the day. i know i need to add weights to create more stength and better shape and to increase my daily burn, and stretching/yoga, to increase flexibility and balance. plus varying things i think will help keep from getting an injury. i'm going to keep working towards those goals, and hopefully soon i'll be there. ;)

skygirl
07-22-2010, 12:23 AM
it was a really hard day, with unpredictable stressors, and i almost gave up. i worked really, really hard today. and i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise. and i worked out twice to try to burn off the anxiety. i just really need this to work this time.

onward...

duckchick
07-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Oh no, but I'm glad you stuck it out! I know how discouraging it can be!

Using your time....I know how I feel sometimes when I think about time. I've done things in my life, but not big, great things that will have me remembered. I'm content with who I am, but when it comes to having not gone to college, or studied hard and done better in school, I feel like I've let myself down. I especially experience that now because I know I could go to school, get loans to do it, and such, but I'm also scared. I'm scared of failing and feeling stupid, or trying to do more than I can handle. Mostly, I have to confess, it's a selfish desire not to lose my free time currently.

I used to comfort myself by saying I was happy with my life, and for the most part, I'm content. But when I think about things I COULD have done/still could do to better myself, I know that I let myself down.

Trying to change it all, now. Here's hoping!:)

skygirl
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
thanks duckchick, today was a little better. that's cool that you're considering going to school and pursuing your dreams. maybe you could go part time and then still have the freedom to do other things and have down time. i know what you mean, it is a process, figuring out what's important to us, and then figuring out how to do that, especially in the face of fears. but as they say, it's the things we don't do that we regret, even if trying them would have meant overcoming obstacles or even dealing some failures along the way. ;)

i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. i was still feeling the effects of the anxiety from yesterday so i worked out twice again to try to get rid of that.

i hope everyone is discovering strength and resilience that maybe they didn't know they had.

skygirl
07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
i stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today. and today i am 30% towards goal, out of the 170s, now just overweight, and out of the xl's and into the l's, all of which allowed me to make my second post in the mini-goal section, which was really a nice feeling. i've been dealing with a lot of stress lately, and hitting these milestones was a welcome reminder that the hard work is meaningful to me. and there's still a lot of work to be done, so i am staying on track as best i can.

i hope everyone had a great day. :)

skygirl
07-25-2010, 12:17 AM
this morning i wanted to quit. i went through hours thinking i just wasn't going to do it anymore, that it wasn't worth it.

later today i made the mistake of not bringing any snacks with me, and underestimated the amount of time i'd be out. by the time i was headed home, and needing to stop at the grocery, i was really hungry. as i shopped, my mind was imagining just eating all of the sugary junky things i saw, and just forgetting everything and going back to the way things were. there was this cake that i really wanted to get. usually one of the ways i talk myself out of a binge is to remind myself that whatever it is that i think i want will be there tomorrow. this is easier to do with things that will actually be there tomorrow. i have a harder time doing this when the thing is something special or from a special place or won't always be there. this cake was special and wasn't going to be there again (*gasp* lol). i walked by it. then i started telling myself that i could buy it and freeze it and eat it later when my binge issues were under control and i could eat it normally. i actually turned around and thought about going back for the cake. but i knew if i did i would not freeze it, i would eat it, and that would be the end of that. or i would freeze it and it would drive me crazy until i took it out and ate it. and that would be the end of that.

and then i thought about how incredibly difficult this has been, gut-wrechingly difficult mentally and physically and emotionally, and about how hard i have been working. and i knew i just didn't want to throw that away, because if i do i may never start again. and i don't want to think about where i would be and how i would be feeling if that happened. so i left without the cake. i stayed on plan today for nutrition and exercise.

i hope everyone is having a good weekend.

skygirl
07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Iíve been thinking about some of the progress Iíve made since starting, to try to figure out where I am and where I need to go. I went from eating thousands of calories a day in sugar and junk with little or no nutritious value, to eating 1200-1400 calories (depending on hunger and intensity of workouts) a day in nutritious foods. I went from eating processed foods full of chemicals to focusing on whole foods and trying to find organic options when I can.

I went from little or no exercise, to exercising most days, and from very little activity throughout the day to moving more just doing basic things.

I became active on this site community, and have tried to get involved, and welcomed new people, congratulated people when they achieve a goal or mini-goal, offered people support and compassion, offered thoughts and perspectives to discussions, and posted regularly on accountability. And I really appreciate the support Iíve gotten here, too, it means a lot to me. :)

I still have days when I donít want to do anything, when I want to quit, when I feel like I am not making progress, when I feel like it is not worth it, when I feel like I wonít get where I am going. But I try to move forward despite these things, because my health depends on it, and because ultimately I really want to.

As of now my breathing has improved, I am moving around better, my sleeping has improved, and I am feeling lighter, in more ways than one.

I have not binged once the entire month. I really donít even remember the last time I was binge-free, so this is an important thing for me.

I still have thoughts of sugar and binges, and this will probably be the case for a long time. But for now I am grateful to have finally experienced some time away from the actual sugar and actual binges.

I think this is a good beginning. And I am going easy on myself for things that I had set out to do but havenít done yet. I trust that I will get there. I stayed on plan today for nutrition and exercise.

And now, onward to the work of continuing to move towards improved health.

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

duckchick
07-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh wow, sounds like it's been difficult, Skygirl! I'm so sorry you've had to fight so hard. But I think you're winning. The feeling lighter and breathing easier and other little things, those are the small rewards. And they feel good, I'm sure! The rest are coming! The BIG rewards. You'll see! :carrot:

In my own case, I've been concentrating on eating whole foods also, and also on eating a tad more raw. That hasn't been easy, I assure you! And I've only eaten a few things raw, mostly fruit, lol! But I've been reading up on the pros and cons of raw life (and there are cons), and I think it would behoove me to incorporate a bit more raw into my life.

Weird thing happened on Saturday: It was my mom's birthday, and I had planned on taking her to her favorite mexican restaurant. I was full of justifications to myself, but after much debate she insisted on just getting some cheap take out, as she didn't want to spend the money it would have cost to go there, but she didn't want to cook, either. Well, I got a tamale platter, and when it arrived I took a bite and...well, I tasted a difference immediately. I mean a difference in what that was and what I've been trying to eat these last few weeks. I've always loved tamales, but I could taste the fat and starch as well as the spices. I was quite taken aback by that, and the rice and beans came at me the same way. The amount of fat and salt in the refried beans was eye opening!

Unfortunately, I also proved to myself that, if it's right in front of me, I'll eat it. :(

I tried moving around and taking a long walk after dinner, and drinking lots of water. I hadn't realized that I'd gotten used to the food moving right through my system until I felt that dinner just sitting like a lump in my gut! I'm a night owl, and I spent the rest of that night nibbling crackers and hummus as a snack, and drinking lots of water. But I also got a bit sad because I LOVE mexican food! Still, I have to do what's best for my body until I get my weight under control.

Anyway, I talk too much! That was an interesting experience for me! :)

skygirl
07-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks Duckchick, I really appreciate the encouragment! It sounds like you are doing great with adding healthy foods, walking, and water. It's interesting isn't it, once you start to get used to eating a different kinds of foods and then go back to places you used to eat and you can taste the excess grease and sodium and things like that. It can be hard to resist temptation when it's sitting right in front of you though.

I really like Mexican food as well. Have you tried making a healthier version of the same foods? Like you could use whole grain/sprouted grain tortillas, grilled chicken, whatever grilled veggies like onions or peppers, pico/salsa with no sugar and low sodium, and avacado slices or make your own guac with a little lemon juice and just a pinch of salt, and low/non-fat greek yougurt as a sour cream subsitute. That way it's still healthy, but also still completely delish. :)

And I've only eaten a few things raw, mostly fruit, lol!

Lol, this made me laugh. :)

I stayed on plan for nutrition and exercise today, but it was looking dicey on the exercise for a while there. It took a several hours long debate with myself to finally get on the treadmill. Sad but true. ;) Anyway, I felt much better once it was done.

duckchick
07-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Go you, go you, go you!! :cheer2:

Sorry, just felt like cheering!

i'm feeling much better today, and portioning out my calories in a more doable manner. Here's hoping. And good luck!!

skygirl
07-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks! Here's one for you, too. :cheer2: We can all use a little cheering on this journey.

I was on plan for exercise today but for nutrition I had a planned-for-off-plan day by eating more calories than usual. There have been days when I have just not been as hungry and on those days I think sometimes I may have been at the low end of my calorie range, or even fallen a bit below. But since I wasn't hungry, I just listened to that. Today I was hungrier, so I listened to that. I've upped my treadmill workouts and added weights, so I thought it might be connected to that, that maybe I just neeed extra fuel or something. I ate some extra calories, and at first felt a little better, like maybe I had been hungrier and needed it. But then soon I felt uncomfortable, almost like maybe I hadn't needed it and my body didn't want it. I'm not sure what to make of that, but this is a learning experience, so I guess maybe I'll figure it out at some point.

I also just wanted to put out a quick reminder that anyone is welcome to post here. I see lots of peple mentioning that they want to find a place for accountability, so if anyone ever reads this and would like to jump in, please always feel welcome. If not, that's ok too, I just like to put the invitation out there every so often.

Ok, I hope everyone had a good day. :)

duckchick
07-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Woot!! Wooooot!!!!!

I weighed myself today, and I'm at 275.8!!! 2 weeks ago I was at 284!! OMG, I didn't think it was possible!!! :carrot::D:dizzy:

I know a lot of it is water, but I'm still excited! :D:D:D

I was on plan for food, though I varied the routine a bit. When I had my breakfast shake, I also had a small plate of pasta and chicken breast with a little cream sauce, just to give me something tangible to eat. I hope this will take care of the hunger pangs I was feeling the last couple of days. I'm below my calorie count, so I think everything's cool!

skygirl
07-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I weighed myself today, and I'm at 275.8!!! 2 weeks ago I was at 284!! OMG, I didn't think it was possible!!!

Congrats Duckchick! :) That's terrific! Whoo-hoo! :cheer3:

I was on plan today. I had another planned-for-off-plan addition of some extra calories just in case the hunger was trying to tell me something, but like yesterday, my body did not repsond well to it, so I now consider that question asked and answered. I still don't know what the hunger was about, but I listened to it and learned that it wasn't a call for more calories in this case. Maybe in the future it will be, but for now it's not. I also had a planned-for day of rest with the exercise. I worked out twice yesterday, because I knew my schedule would not allow for it today, and I will also be working out twice tomorrow. There were a few moments I questioned these decisions, but then I just decided I was going to enjoy it for what it was/is, a planned day of rest. It was nice. Tomorrow, back at it. ;)

Hope everyone enjoyed their day! :)

duckchick
07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Ooo, glad you have answers now. I wonder if maybe it's just some small feeling you have to push through? Here's hoping! :)

Today I made chili dogs for dinner for my little sister, and I wanted one SO bad! Chili dogs are like crack. You have one, then another and another and....that's how it is for me! I started thinking that having just one would be ok (and I still think it would have been) but then wondered if I shouldn't just preempt the urge. As in, eat something else healthier, instead. So I took out some red pepper hummus I made this morning, spread it on a romaine lettuce leaf, and then added some plain tuna and a sprinkling of cheese. Voila! Instant wrap! And it was DELICIOUS! Much better than the chili dog, really. It's now my new favorite snack!

Mmmm...think I will go have one now!:D

duckchick
07-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Hee hee, wanted to see my new sig! :D

skygirl
07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Duckchick, resisting a favorite food like that when it's right in front of you is a big deal. Congrats on that victory! Your hummus wrap sounds totally healthy and delish. And great new siggy! Can I just say that you are kicking some major butt! You go!! :yay:

I'm ending up with a really really busy week, and not as much time for all the things that I need to do and would like to do, including not as much computer time. Hopefully things will calm down soon. On plan today, and going with the flow. :yoga:

duckchick
07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Hey, maybe that's a good thing! Being busy means no time to stress about the diet. Go with the flow, ma'am!

And thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement! I'm SO glad my weekend starts when I get out of here at 6am!! Now looking forward to Sunday, and my little sister's b-day bash/baby shower. Tempting treats on the menu, but I now have healthy food weapons in my arsenal! I will be victorious! :D

skygirl
07-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Today I've spent a lot of time thinking about why I am doing this. Remembering what it was that I wanted. And remembering that time is going by. I need to relax, remember, and refocus. It's important for me to keep in mind the why so that I don't just get lost in the doing. For me the why is key to this health and wellness lifestyle. This weekend I want to spend some time working on this and get the wind back in my sails.

I think making some progress has brought up some self-sabotage inclinations and fears, and that is causing struggles. There's the physical part of unhealthy eating, sugar, junk, binges. And then there's the emotional part. For the sake of simplicity, for me the physical part has to do with the science of addiction, and the emotional part has to do with some kind of self-punishment or feeling like it's not ok to have what you want. In that sense, it could be anything getting in the way for any given person. For me it just happens to be food.

So I'm pressing the reset button on the binge timeline. On the positive side, I've been reminded that after a month plus with no sugar, junk, or binges, having those things again was gross, and I spit a lot of it out and couldn't eat a lot of it. After a month plus of all healthy natural whole foods, this stuff was like a chemical nightmare that triggered my gag relfex. And yet, I did it. There are lots of different reasons I can think of that I did it. I think I wanted to test whether I'd be able to do it and then stop, to discover something new about myself, that it didn't have the same pull over me, and that I'd gained some kind of control over it. I think my fear was more that if I did it, I wouldn't be able to stop afterward, and that was giving the doing of it too much charge. And I think I wanted to release the tension of something, and prove to myself that I didn't like it anymore. And that was true. I didn't like it any more. It didn't taste good. It didn't feel good. My body rejected it. Statistically speaking it was likely to happen, and I knew that. That's the nature of addiction. But the bottom line is that I failed. And now it's over. And now the true tests begins. Accountability. Responsibilty. Getting back on track. And I'm ready to do that. And that, is the nature of recovery.

duckchick
07-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Beautiful and very inspiring post, Skygirl! I think you're right, in DOING it you found out you actually don't like it anymore, and that will only empower you from here forward. Don't be afraid, girl, just FLY!! :carrot:

skygirl
08-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks Duckchick! I really appreciate the encouragement. :) I hope you had a great time at your sister's b-day bash and baby shower! That sounds like fun!

Got through the day with plenty of healthy, whole foods. I am having a harder time than I would like, but I guess if it were easy, then I would have done it a long time ago, without any issues. Horrible hangover-like feeling this morning from the sugar, sodium, and chemicals that I did have, and wasn't used to anymore. It's a little scary to think that that was the norm for me daily for so long. It's only after not doing it for a while that I could really get a feel for what it was doing to my body. Once you're in the habit of doing it, I think the side effects don't stand out quite as much. You know you don't feel good, but you maybe don't know just how bad, or to what degree the junk is damaging.

A friend of mine told me that when she quit smoking it was one of the hardest things she'd ever done, and that she was kind of a mess for the first few months. Listening to her describe the experience, I can relate, to the happiness and relief about taking steps to improving health to the frustration with the addiction aspects, struggles and failures, and everything inbetween. I know there will be bumps along the road and that the important thing is to try to find a way to keep the bigger picture in mind as well, and stick with it over time.

Here's wishing everyone success and happiness in the bigger picture as well as day-to-day. :)

skygirl
08-02-2010, 01:28 AM
I just wanted to stay accountable by saying that I am working hard to get my head back in the game. So much of this is mental. Mental energy. The belief that this is possible. Positive self-talk. Visualization.

All those cute little sayings, like you have to believe it to be it, name it to claim it, see it to be it.

And of course, act as if until you are.

Tonight I decided to wander into the maintainers section and look around and read some threads. I thought it might help me if I were to imagine that I had already achieved my goal and that I was navigating maintenance, trying to continue behaviors that would protect my investment, so to speak, of time and energy losing the weight and getting healthier.

And I've spent some time reviewing, in my mind, two of the books I read in the last year or two that have stuck with me.

One was Anti-Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber, which details ways to eat for health and to help prevent cancer.

The other was The End of Overeating by David Kessler, which talks about the ways that the brain responds to sugar fat and sodium, and how that is similar to the ways the brain responds to other drugs like caffiene nicotine alcohol and narcotics, and happens in the same part of the brain. I'd long been familiar with this kind of information from other studies articles etc. But the difference here was that Kessler, one of the leaders in the anti-tobacco movement and calling attention to the practices of that industry, applied the same kind of thinking to the food industry, and thus gives the reader the gift of anger.

So I'm working on getting my head back in the game, my brain back into fighting shape. And I'm working on trying to find the joy of this, the hope, and get out of the focus on the difficulty and negativity that can be associated with it (for me at least, with the sugar/binge addiction aspects), or at least to balance the two sides.

So, that's where I am today, and wanted to be/stay accountable with that. I considered not posting and just kind of shrinking away with all this stuff going on in my head, but I thought that would be a mistake. So this is where I am right now.

duckchick
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Glad to see you, girl! Having your head in the game is so important! Otherwise, everything you do is just like some disconnected activity, and you can't remember why you're doing it. Blech!

I went off plan at the ol' party. I just couldn't help it! Brisket, chicken salad, chips and yummy french onion dips, and the cakes!! AAHH, the cakes!! Well, the good news is I only had one serving of everything. The REALLY good news is that not only did I feel the difference in what I was eating, but I got full before I actually finished. I ate half of my old normal portions, and didn't finish my slice of cake. I was too full! And the great thing is that, even though it caused me to add a little weight, I'm still at 276, so yay!

Back on plan today, and determined to keep dropping pounds. Woot!!:D

plumeria
08-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi skygirl, mind if I join in? Your post about the mental facet of weight loss really resonated with me!! I've found during my (most recent) weight loss journey that I really struggle with my all or nothing type attitude. My dh is very spontaneous and likes to go out to eat or to movies or whatever at the drop of a hat, making it difficult for me to keep up with figuring out calories. So then I get overwhelmed and throw the rest of the day under the bus since I've already 'failed' at that point. I need to stop thinking that way. Sure, I'm going to make mistakes and eat something I probably shouldn't, but that's no reason to throw the rest of my hard work away. As Dori says in Finding Nemo "just keep swimming, just keep swimming".

So as far as accountability goes I've had 4 days of staying on target food wise but I've overdone it with soda. I'm dumping out what's left of the bottle I have and going on water only. I also need to start exercising. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to get the kids out for a morning walk as often as I would like, so I'm going to have to go down to the complex gym after dinner. Not my favorite time to work out but I know once I get into a routine I will do ok, it's just getting there that's hard!

skygirl
08-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Duckchick, glad to hear the party was fun! That's cool that you were able to eat some of what was there but then stop when you felt full and only have half sizes. I love hearing stories like that, it gives me hope that someday moderation may be possible for me too. :)

Hi Plumeria! :) Of course you can join in! Everyone's welcome & the more the merrier. I know what you mean on the all or nothing thing, I struggle with that too. I read somewhere on these boards that if you're heading up stairs and slip, you don't throw yourself all the way to the bottom of the stairs, you just get up and keep going. I try to remind myself of this, but I sometimes get stuck in that thinking of well, the day is off so I might as well eat xyz for the last time again. Of course then it's not the last time, and everything gets out of whack. But I'm working on that. I love Finding Nemo! Congrats on tossing the rest of the soda and for doing well on your plan!

Here's hoping we can all find the ability to have things in moderation, the ability to get right back on plan after a slip up, the ability to have many days on plan, and ultimately the ability to have many pounds lost! We can all do it if we just keep going! :D

roxxie rocket
08-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Skygirl -- thank you. It's like you've read my mind and put it down for everyone to read. I also joined quite awhile ago and have actually ended up gaining weight .. UGH!! Anyway now I'm back & on track!!

I started to realize that my all or nothing mentality is what has brought me to this weight level to begin with. So now I am trying to just focus on this week --- this week I want to lose 2 pounds. For some reason in my mind this makes it easier to pick healthy foods and to get out and excercise -- because I'm only trying to lose 2 pounds. 2 pounds is very do-able. Then next week I'll focus on the next two pounds and so on and so on until eventually I will hit my goal weight.

Thank you for starting this post-- it's totally motivated me!!

skygirl
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi Roxxie! :) You're welcome, and thank you too! ;) I think you're right in thinking about it as smaller goals and units of time so that it's not so overwhelming, and seems more do-able. It can also give a feeling of having time to do it right, and make it work, and not feeling like it all has to happen this instant. Good luck with your two pounds this week! You can do it! :cheer3:

I'm still feeling like I'm floating around a bit, trying to find my new normal, what I hope will be my new normal. I wish it were coming more easily and that I didn't feel so much anxiety, but I have to keep it honest and transparent by saying that it's been knocking me around. Sometimes I get frustrated with myself, but I guess that is part of the process. The process that I have to go through to hopefully get where I am going. Where I want to go, so, so much.

I hope everyone is doing well, and staying afloat even in rough waters. :cool:

duckchick
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Feeling slightly discouraged since I'm holding steady at 276-279. I keep fluctuating between those numbers, and I think it's because my physical activity hasn't been all that much. I usually go walking, but maybe I'm being too leisurely. Time to up things!

On the bright side, I was craving one of my weaknesses badly yesterday: fried chicken! But I thought ahead and defrosted chicken breasts for dinner, then breaded and baked them, instead of frying. I also made this interesting ricotta cheesecake, with onions, summer squash, red peppers, dill, and lots of other yummy ingredients. That was my side dish to the chicken, and it all tasted wonderful! I feel like I'm still fighting a battle in my head, though, because I'm craving the fried chicken of a particular restaurant, and it won't leave the back of my mind! :(

Oh well, here's hoping I can make it through the week!:D

skygirl
08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Duckchick! It sounds like you are doing a seriously terrific job with finding great healthy substitutions for foods you used to eat. That's amazing progress. As for the scale getting stuck, I've read on this site and heard other places before too, that weight is 80% what we eat and 20% exercise. So maybe take a quick review of calories in just to make sure you're hitting your target. ;) But hang in there, chickie, you're getting it done!

As for me, I want to stay accountable by saying that I am struggling since that binge episode, and post-binge I guess I have re-entered the research and development stage, ha-ha, where I'm trying to get my mojo back. ;) I can feel myself moving towards getting back on plan in earnest, and hope to have some good news to report soon. I'm trying to look at the larger picture, to keep my sanity and to keep from losing all the momentum I had.

Hope everyone had a great day! :)

duckchick
08-06-2010, 02:13 AM
You know, this is going to sound weird, but one of the reasons I'm able to more or less stick to my guns is because I love reading cooking blogs. I love to cook, and I've made a hobby of looking up recipes and cooking blogs online. Food network is great, and allrecipes is a favorite of mine, but I do love finding little blogs. They usually have very interesting recipes! Surprisingly, a majority that I find are vegetarians or vegans (which I'm not), but they always have something interesting to do with veggies, plus I can always count on these sites to have great information on healthy eating. It's like getting a fun education, plus I get to learn new recipes! It sounds silly for a chubby chick who loves to eat to find inspiration this way, I know. But somehow it's worked for me!

skygirl
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey, congrats Duckchick, 10 pounds!! I noticed your ticker, that is awesome!! Whoo-hoo! :dancer:

I need to start getting more comfortable cooking. It hasn't really been one of my strong points, but I'm trying to learn.

I hope everyone is having a geat day! :D

duckchick
08-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Thank you, thank you very much! :carrot:

Aahh, I love cooking. I love trying new things and discovering new flavors. My family doesn't always appreciate it, but I look at cooking as my way of getting an adventure!

Don't worry, cooking starts to get easier relatively quickly! :D Oh, I really need to pay attention to your ticker, too!:o

peacebunny
08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I have so many craving that they won't fit in this box so I just focus on just the one....LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it!...This is me talking to me...LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it!...This is me talking to me...LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it!...This is me talking to me...LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it!...This is me talking to me... I am trying to do this to get through to the fat kid inside me holding out for the hostess cupcakes and reesecups...damn I love those

duckchick
08-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Mmmm....peanut butter cups....:o

Hey, I like your mantra! And yes, it can be a fight sometimes! But you can find healthy substitutions that can calm the sweet cravings! For instance, one of my favorite breakfast shakes is chocolate cherry goodness. Just take:

1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen cherries
1 cup water or milk (I use vanilla almondmilk)
2 tbsp protein powder (optional)
2 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or raw chocolate
splash of vanilla, unless using vanilla flavored milk

Throw all ingredients into the blender and blend. It's chocolate ice cream in a glass, I tell you! Also, one of my favorite vegan sites has very interesting recipes, especially for breakfast.
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

One of the best sites, and one of the nicest food bloggers out there. Obviously you'll have to decide if some of her recipes are too sweet for you, but she doesn't really use refined sugars or flours at all, and her meals are rather creative. In case you want to check it out! :D

EDIT: Forgot to add, I myself am not a vegan, but I love trawling through vegetarian/vegan sites for interesting food ideas. :D

skygirl
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I have so many craving that they won't fit in this box so I just focus on just the one....LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it!...This is me talking to me...LOSE WEIGHT....You ARE WORTH it

Peacebunny, I really like this postive self-talk! And I know what you mean on the cupcakes and peanut butter cups, a real weakness of mine too. ;)

Duckchick, you look like you're moving right along, which is awesome! :)

I've been having some difficulty since I fell off the wagon with a binge, so I'm going to try to get through tomorrow totally on plan for nutrition and exercise, and see if I can get back on track. ;)

duckchick
08-11-2010, 03:20 AM
You can do it! Just focus on how great you'll feel when you start to actually SEE results! And listen to music! Music really helps me!

EDIT: Ok, this sucks and is weird. I was just eating my lunch (my tuna and lettuce wraps!) and sipping my green tea when , out of nowhere, my hands grabbed for my almond granola bars in my snack stash. I proceeded to gobble down 3 in a row! :(

I'm not sure what's up with me, I had 3 wraps, 2 I ate at my first break, and one I was eating for lunch with some pita chips and hummus. I know it's just a slip, but I'm upset because I almost didn't realize it was happening until I was wolfing them down. Am I in denial over something? I know all day today, from the time I arrived hom from work in the morning to the time I reported back into work, up to now, I've been craving...I'm not sure what, I just have this desire to EAT! To stuff things in my mouth. I usually blithely ignore these urges, but perhaps I should start paying attention to what or when I'm eating? Or maybe this is a consequence of night shift....I do tend to eat more now than when I was on days.

Hmm...

peacebunny
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Duckgirl and skygirl....

I am making strides but they are slow...oh so slow. I have not yet started my excercise regimen becuase I have been getting off late from work for 2 weeks now...12 hour days and I am just worn out when I get home...so I sleep when I get home. I have however, cut down my food intake for day and have actually faced my scale only to find out in awesome surprise that the number has changed since 2 months ago. Pleasantly it was down 12 pounds and it spurred me to make changes in my daily diet. Here's to hoping that I stick at it. However my mind still wanders to candy and all its devious goodness that I miss.

skygirl
08-12-2010, 12:55 AM
You can do it! Just focus on how great you'll feel when you start to actually SEE results!

Thanks Duckchick! Yes, I hope to get back to this! ;)

I usually blithely ignore these urges, but perhaps I should start paying attention to what or when I'm eating? Or maybe this is a consequence of night shift....I do tend to eat more now than when I was on days.

Yes, I'm doing the same, trying to figure out if my cravings go into overdrive at certain times, taking into consideration hormonal changes too. I think I may see a pattern emerging for me.

Anyway, you can get right back on plan! The sooner the better so that the whole cravings thing doesn't take over. ;) And if you're finding that the night shift throws you off, is there any chance of getting back on days?

Peacebunny, I've read on this site that weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise, so it is possible to lose through diet even if your schedule doesn't allow you time to exercise at the moment. Congrats on losing the 12 pounds! ;)

I didn't get back on plan today. Had to figure out a new plan of attack for my nutritional staples since the cafe/deli/bistro place where I ususally get my precooked chicken fish veggies etc completely changed the menu to versions that may not work for me. So I'm having to work around that and try to figure out some cooking options. I will try again tomorrow. ;)

duckchick
08-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks, Skygirl! I think it's almost TOM. That's always made me want to EAT!! Plus, I've been trying so hard to eat healthy that it's all been quick and cold stuff. I'm craving a hot meal! I understood this when I got home in the morning and fixed myself a bowl of my mom's leftover tortilla soup (without chips). Just the warmth of the dish felt soothing and wonderful, and satisfying!! I'm going to try and find new recipes that are healthy hot meals in addition to my recent healthy cold meals. All in the name of nutrition! And don't worry! You'll find a perfect lunch alternative, be it some take out from another p-lace, or a recipe you invent yourself! Then you'll be easing on down the road again, lol!

How are ya, Peacebunny? 12 pounds is a wonderful discovery, you go, girl!! Yeah, candy is always a sinful treat, but lately the sweet snacks I've found on the cooking sites I surf have curtailed the cravings quite nicely for me. Sweet is sweet, and getting your dose of sweet is sometimes enough to banish the desire for the bad sweets. :)

Good luck to all of us, ladies!!

duckchick
08-17-2010, 03:13 AM
I was right...it TOM!

What a weekend! I hope the week turns out better. How's everyone else?

peacebunny
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Duckchick and Skygirl,

I am doing well and I am staying the course and trying to avoid the pitfalls of giving in to my cravings. Still its a battle but I'm fighting to hang in there. I am trying to figure out how to add more veggies to my diet so if you guys have some ideas on how to incorporate some practical but delicious veggies into my diet then let me know...;)

Allowatt
08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
You ladies are very inspiring. I have had a rough day and have been lurking around this website for inspiration and it has definitely turned my mood around. It's been a good day for exercise/nutrition but other issues have got me down, meaning I want nothing more than to turn to my best friend, the Brownie Sundae. I try to justify it because I had a crazy work out this morning (end stages of C25K and also P90X) but I know that it's terrible for me and it's unacceptable to eat it. But still I can't stop thinking about it!

Needless to say, it's nice to know I'm not alone on the mental issues of weight loss, my own brain seems to be my worst enemy.

Hope you all are having a successful day, and if not, that tomorrow is wonderful for you :)

duckchick
08-18-2010, 05:28 AM
Ladies! Hello!! :D

Allowatt, this is what I battle as well. The wanting of it! I would say, to combat it, have something that's sweet and healthy. Lately, when I'm thinking of caving in to mr. chocolate cake, I go to my stand by breakfast shake, which I'll actually drink anytime as a meal. I posted it a page or 2 back (and all over this forum, really, lol!), but I'm happy to post it again!

1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen cherries
1 cup milk, water or vanilla almondmilk (I'm lactose intolerant)
2 tbsp protein powder
2 tbsp hemp seeds (excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids)
2tbsp raw chocolate or cocoa (the best part!)

Toss all ingredients into a blender and blend. You can skip the protein powder and hemp seeds, too, if you just want a yummy, healthy shake. It's absolutely delicious and takes the edge off of any cravings I get for sweets! Try it!

If you're not a shake person, how about oatmeal? I found a recipe called "Brownie Batter in a Bowl" off of a vegan website. I'm not vegan, but I love this stuff!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/02/02/barney-butter-and-brownie-batter/

She references alot of her older posts, but she does have some tasty snack ideas! Or maybe you could surf the web for sweet snack ideas that are a healthy alternative to the brownie sundae? There's lots of ways to combat your cravings without depriving yourself and feeling cheated. Whenever I'm craving something badly, I find myself on a slippery slope! Combat the slippery slope! :)

If there's anything I can help with, please let me know!

duckchick
08-23-2010, 04:50 AM
I've lost a bit more! Yay!! :)

duckchick
08-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Well, I'm feeling pretty good, holding steady at my weight and trying to continue healthy eating habits. Got this idea today to roast my own red peppers for red pepper hummus. Might be interesting! I'll let ya'll know. My brekfast this morning was really awesome. I had some flaxseed/oat bran/ soybean cereal sweetened with half a chopped banana and a tablespoon of cocoa. I think next time I'll make it with vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla. Yum!

skygirl
09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I obviously fell so far off the wagon that it got to the point where I couldn't even see that there was a wagon any more. Now I'm searching through the fog to find my way back.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting regularly. I'm going to make an effort to post more.

I'm targeting Sunday as the day that I am going to begin again. I know this goes against the popluar/conventional wisdom that we should "start now," but for me I am having to ramp up and find strength again, so that's the best I can do.

I don't want to make promises that I'm not sure I can keep, but I am going to do what I can, when I can, and try to let that be what it is, which is something. I'm going to try to let that be enough.

Duckchick, congrats on all of your progress! I am very happy for you!

Peacebunny, I hope you are doing well!

I hope everyone is finding health and happiness! And I hope that includes me too.

duckchick
09-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Hey, great to see you! I've been kinda busy myself, and haven't had time to post. I'm sorry things got tough, but you're not quitting! That's the important thing! :D

I've held steady and haven't lost anymore. In fact, I had a treat day last weekend and gained back 5 pounds! It was water or sodium, but still. I'm back on thrack, though, and feeling pretty good more than anything. That's what I want even more than to lose weight; to feel GOOD!

Good luck to both of us!:hug:

skygirl
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Ok. Today is the day. I'm ready. I will be on plan for nutrition and exercise all day today. I will come back later to edit this post to update and confirm that I made it through the day. Period.

ETA: I made it through the day on plan.

skygirl
09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I made it through the day on plan.

Duckchick, nice to see you, too. I hope you are doing well!

skygirl
09-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I was on plan most of the day, then went off plan, and then got right back on plan. It was a real test for me because being able to get right back on plan like that is a key ability that will make the difference in long-term continuity. It was something I was missing before. When I used to go off plan at all I would get completely derailed for long periods of time. I feel stronger now, having made it through that test. Relieved and stronger. Somehow less threatened by my own insecurities about my issues, and fears about my weaknesses, if that makes any sense.

skygirl
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok, I've been doing a cr*p job of keeping up with my accountability. There has been a lot going on, lots of stress, lots of problems with difficult or circuitous or not easy answers but that need solving anwyay. But these are not excuses for not being accountable. So I'm going to work on that.

I am on plan. And I have been/am including more deep breathing and meditation to help with the anxiety I seem to feel so very often. Yippee. :)