40-Somethings - Setting a goal--HOW???

View Full Version : Setting a goal--HOW???

BoiseShan
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
This might be just an odd questionÖ.

In my on again/off again diet life and participation on 3FC Iíve noticed that everyone seems to have a definite goal weight in mind. How do you get to that number??? I donít want to be thinónicely curvy will do fineóIíve been there and will know it when I get there again. Unfortunately, I never weighed myself when I was happy where I was so I donít know that magic number.

Iíve got a destination on this weight loss. I belly dance and have just made a commitment to compete this time next year. I certainly donít want to be the one that people describe as ďthe heavy one.Ē Thanks to a phone app, Iíve started counting calories and Iím losing weight. Itís coming off slowly, but pretty effortlessly. Do I just keep losing as long as the weight is coming off?

Thanks for ideas!

MissKelly
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
My goal weight is only an approximate & my ticker goal weight may go through an adjustment or two down the line. I have more of a jean size in mind that I'm aiming for. Keep losing until you find your 'happy place.' Best wishes!

bargoo
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I picked a healthy range for my height and I am somewhere just below the middle mark.
A healthy range for 5'5" is 119-149 according to some charts I have seen.

love2b150
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Well my healthy highest would be 132 I forgot what the low would be (my actual height is 5"3 and 3/4). I honestly chose 150 because it was closer to 200 and seemed easier to get to. :D I just want to be able to wear regular clothes, not plus. Haven't done that over 15 years or so. If I get to 150 and I am still uncomfortable then I'll shoot for 140. But that's a long way off. :)

jigglefree
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I chose a size clothing and I want to be at the low end of that size. A lot of the people that are at the size I want to be at is doable for me. I will decide if I want to weigh myself after I get to a size 14 which I'm hoping for by my birthday. We will see. Then I will set a goal weight.

caryesings
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
The first goal I picked when setting up my 3FC ticker was 210 which would be lower than I had ever reached before since gaining 100 lbs the year I turned 30. When I saw I was nearing that, I changed the goal to 100 lbs. to get down to that weight from 20 years ago.

A few weeks ago I realized that 165 wasn't going to be enough for me now that I know it's in reach, so I picked a weight which will put me in normal BMI range.

I really can't imagine moving that goal again, but as I've been uncovering brand new territory, who knows?

JessLess
07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I was 150 for a long time and thought I looked good in my 20s. It puts me at a size 14. I don't know if it's still obtainable at 40, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Rochester
07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I used this calculator (http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm). It gives you your ideal weight using several different formulas. The website recommends setting a goal between "a medically-recommended weight and a weight that your peers would hope for."