Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'5"

Default Day One, strategies, support...

Hi,
I'm on DAY ONE and I'm just wondering if anyone has any strategies for their "day one's".

So far, I've made it through breakfast and have a big bottle of water near me.

I realize now that I'm not eating at whim, how many times a day or an hour I was thinking about food and actually just eating.

I feel relief actually. It was almost exhausting eating that much. It's a real sugar/carb thing for me.

I'm taking it one meal at a time. I've planned out lunch (have to feed a 3 year old, etc...)

And I'm coming here to post as reward for sticking with it.

Good luck to all my fellow Day One-ers!
I know we can do this.

-teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/156/135ish

I'm on day one too, but it's not my first day one.

I'm great about drinking water and exercising, it's the food that trips me up. I started off the day with scrambled eggs and veggies (more veggies than eggs by volume) with salsa and a little bit of cream cheese. I got in a good 2-3 servings of veggies first thing and some fat and protein to keep me full for a while. For me, day one (and week one, and month one) are about focusing on getting good nutrition and reducing/eliminating the junk. I think -- and past experience tells me -- this will work for a while. I'm holding off on weighing/measuring/counting calories until I stop losing with my current plan.

Hope day one went well and day two is even better!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #3  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

My day one was very much an "eliminate the enemy" day. I trashed most of the processed foods and anything with trans fat. Bought a 32oz water bottle. Had a day of researching better options (still doing a ton of research to this very day). I was so busy, I couldn't overeat. lol
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I think for me, the best thing was to finally decide on a plan, one that fits my life and my lifestyle then deciding that I would not let those ugly urges and cravings beat me down anymore. I busied myself when I felt like I was wanting to eat when I knew I wasn't hungry. Coming here is always a big help for me as well. Reading those success stories is an awesome tool to get cravings out of my head I still have slip ups but nothing anywhere compared to what my life was when I had eaten my way up to 330 pounds.

Good luck!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepeters View Post
Hi,
I'm on DAY ONE and I'm just wondering if anyone has any strategies for their "day one's".

So far, I've made it through breakfast and have a big bottle of water near me.

I realize now that I'm not eating at whim, how many times a day or an hour I was thinking about food and actually just eating.

I feel relief actually. It was almost exhausting eating that much. It's a real sugar/carb thing for me.

I'm taking it one meal at a time. I've planned out lunch (have to feed a 3 year old, etc...)

And I'm coming here to post as reward for sticking with it.

Good luck to all my fellow Day One-ers!
I know we can do this.

-teresa
My *day one*, "this time" was a while ago. Hmmm... strategies? tips? Get through it any way that you can. Don't give in, don't cave to wants or cravings - remember you don't HAVE to have something just because you want it. You must remember what you want the MOST.

I know I used a lot of self talk (still do). One of my favorite mantras when I was ready to eat something *off* plan or just *because* was - "I just don't do that anymore. I just don't do that anymore. I just don't do that anymore". It was a big help to me.

Make it a law, an unbreakable law - don't put it in your mouth till you write it down - you write it BEFORE you bite it. NO MATTER WHAT.

Count your calories. Each and every one of them

Remember each and every time you say no to *one of those foods*, that you're saying YES to you. Don't ever feel deprived in turning down high quantity/high calorie foods - the deprivation is EATING them and remaining fat.

I also would advise you to be EXCITED about this journey. It's a thrilling, thrilling time of self discovery and self growth. It is nothing to dread, but something to revel in. Adhering to a healthy life style is a PHENOMENAL way to live.

And never mind the first day, but the first couple of weeks will *most likely* be rough. That's to be expected. You're not used to doing this. You're not used to telling yourself no. You're not used to eating this and turning down that. You're working on changing a life time of bad habits and that does take work and it WILL be uncomfortable - initially, temporarily. You MUST work PAST the discomfort. You must. There is no way around it. It gets sooo much easier as these new healthy habits take hold. As you get used to doing things this way.

It's very important (VITAL) to get rid of all junk, making sure to stockyour home with healthy, healthy, healthy, yet delicious foods.

And the most important thing - plan. plan. and than plan some more. Healthy eating won't happen on it's own. You can't wing it. It's got to be thought about and prepared for. Failing to plan IS planning to fail.

Umm, that's about it - for now.

Hang tough. There is so much good headed your way provided you work past that discomfort and STICK with this. You CAN do this. We've all got the capability to lose weight, each and every one of us - yourself included.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Oh my gosh, thank you all for the ideas and support.
It wasn't a "perfect" day one, but it was One!
I have been working hard on getting out of the all or nothing mentality where if I eat one thing off my plan, I trash the whole day.
That's a big victory.

Tomorrow is day two.

thanks again.

whew!

teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepeters View Post
Oh my gosh, thank you all for the ideas and support.
It wasn't a "perfect" day one, but it was One!
I have been working hard on getting out of the all or nothing mentality where if I eat one thing off my plan, I trash the whole day.
That's a big victory.

Tomorrow is day two.

thanks again.

whew!

teresa
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote