Weight Loss Support - Has anyone lost weight without exercising?

neveragainbabe
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm honestly just curious!

bunnythesAINT
06-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Yup! I think that there's one person in the Goal section of the site that did that, actually, and completely wihtout exercise I think.

therex
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
i lost around 20 pounds in my teens without exercise. i didn't love the results though, i was very soft and doughy looking.

ImpalaHoarder
06-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I lost 10 pounds my first semester of college just by eating very little. I haven't really tried it all that much, though, to be honest.

LauraLoooo
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I lost some weight (20?) without exercising and like someone said up there, I was very doughy and saggy. I ended up gaining the weight back anyway and this time I'm doing strength training + cardio and the results are much different.

Onederchic
06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I am sure some have. I have not ever tried it really. As much weight as I have lost thus far, I am thankful I have been working out as well or I may hate my body more than I do lol

StephanieM
06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I lost the first ten or so pounds by not working out, but now it's definately a necessity as it will help me continue to lose and tone up my body so it looks good too :)

Get n healthy
06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
From what i have heard, if you dont exercise, you CAN lose weight, but you will lose alot of muscle before you actually lose fat. :-( So you may end up 20 pounds lighter, but you will still have the same amount of fat and your metabolism will suffer since you will have less muscle. I know that sucks! I am not a big fan of exercise, but one of those things that you typically gotta do if you wanna lose weight the healthy way.

His Sunshine
06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I am sure some have. I have not ever tried it really. As much weight as I have lost thus far, I am thankful I have been working out as well or I may hate my body more than I do lol

I am looking for help. i c you are online and I was wondering if you could help me. i can't even fig out how to submit a post. i tried and i ended up reply on someone else instead of making one of my own

Shmead
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I think lots of successful people here did not start exercising at the same time they changed their eating habits: doing it all at once can be depressing.

If you hate, hate, hate to exercise do NOT let that keep you from eating in a way that will help you lose weight. You don't say how much you have to lose, but if you are very heavy, then just breathing is a work out, and you can create a good calorie deficit on food alone. Sometimes people use hating exercise as an excuse not to start at all ("what's the point in not eating that cake? I am not going to exercise anyway, so this whole thing is pointless!) and that's really, really destructive thinking.

I started exercising at least a full month, maybe more, after I started watching my intake, and it was MONTHS after that before I was doing enough exercise to really make a difference: I hated it so much that I had to increase my exercise s-l-o-w-l-y until I could stand it. But now I exercise 2 hours a day and it's not nearly as bad as that 10 minutes a day used to be.

Onederchic
06-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I am looking for help. i c you are online and I was wondering if you could help me. i can't even fig out how to submit a post. i tried and i ended up reply on someone else instead of making one of my own

Of course, go to Introductions then above the Announcement section (about RomanceDiva) there is the New Thread button. Click that and make your post :D Hope this helps :hug:

thesame7lbs
06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
The NY Times recently had an article about the role of exercise in weight loss. You can read it here (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?pagewanted=2&sq=exercise%20weight%20loss&st=cse&scp=2), but I think you have to register. Registering is free and they don't share your info with anyone.

I just reread the article and noticed this interesting passage about the role of exercise in maintenance (important because we will all be there one day! :D):

On the other hand, if you can somehow pry off the pounds, exercise may be the most important element in keeping the weight off. “When you look at the results in the National Weight Control Registry,” Braun says, “you see over and over that exercise is one constant among people who’ve maintained their weight loss.” About 90 percent of the people in the registry who have shed pounds and kept them at bay worked out, a result also seen in recent studies. In one representative experiment from last year, 97 healthy, slightly overweight women were put on an 800-calorie diet until they lost an average of about 27 pounds each. Some of the women were then assigned to a walking program, some were put on a weight-training regimen and others were assigned no exercise; all returned to their old eating habits. Those who stuck with either of the exercise programs regained less weight than those who didn’t exercise and, even more striking, did not regain weight around their middles. The women who didn’t exercise regained their weight and preferentially packed on these new pounds around their abdomens. It’s well known that abdominal fat is particularly unhealthful, contributing significantly to metabolic disruptions and heart disease.

I have to respectfully disagree with Get n Healthy. I believe if you follow a sensible diet you will lose fat, not muscle. I think it is when you go very low calorie or exercise with improper nutrition that you are at risk of losing muscle instead of fat.

kendra
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I lost about 75 pounds just by watching my food intake and kept it off for a few years (since 2007). It was only this year that i regained 15 pounds and that is only because i wasn't paying attention to what i was eating.
Now I have almost lost those 15 pounds and incorporating exercise because i don't want the soft and doughy look as i continue to lose. I still have alot to go. I would rather lose weight and be in better health than just lose weight and not be in shape.

shortstuff17
06-27-2010, 10:02 PM
its possible, its all about burning more calories than you eat. your body uses so many for daily maintenance and what not but exercise is important for more than just weight loss, plus it helps tone your body while you lose weight :)

Lori Bell
06-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I have never stepped foot in a gym. I don't own a treadmill or any other excercise equipment. I don't walk miles in a circle, and I don't lift weights.

I don't work out like most people. I work out by basically never sitting down. I spend very little time on the computer, I only watch TV for an hour before bed. I push mow our entire (3+ acres) lawn, and work in the yard and garden, trim trees and haul branches. I rogue fields and chop weeds. None of which I could do at the beginning. I worked my way up to the things I do.

oodlesofnoodles
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
You don't have to. I lost my first 15 or so pounds without exercising. But eventually you feel it's something you need to start doing, and you do. Or at least it seems like with most people that's how it happens. But no, you don't HAVE to. But you should.

But don't start off with too much too soon. I just wanted to get the hang of eating healthy. Once I felt I got that down, I started walking for 30 minutes 3 times a week. Baby steps :)

Tai
06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I wasn't able to do very much in the beginning so mostly I just used walking as my exercise. I focused much more on the food aspect. As I was able to do things like cardio and strength training I did, but for me I think that my food changes made the biggest difference.

Shyanara
06-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I agree with Lori Bell 100%. Exercise doesn't have to mean you go to the gym two hours a day. Once I'm back to work, I would have to substract that time from my sleep, which isn't healthy either...

And it's not true that your body automatically burns muscle if you don't exercise! You burn muscle if there is no fat to burn anymore, or if you try to lose too fast.

I've exercised in the past, without watching my food intake, and I never lost even one pound. Now I'm watching my food intake, and not "exercising" the way some people here understand it, but not sitting on my behind all day long, either. I decided that this is a lifestyle I can maintain for most of my life - exercising a lot is not, because even after a year of doing it consistently, I still hated every minute of it... and the weight is coming off, slowly but consistently.

KforKitty
06-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Most definately. I lost nearly all of the weight I did without doing any structured exercise. I only started doing 'light' exercise on the Wii Fit AFTER I'd lost over 100lbs. Now I'm maintaining however I do 4 one hour classess a week.

So yes I know it is possible to lose without exercise but to maintain? I don't think so unless I want to be very restrictive with my diet for the rest of my life.

Kitty

Gold32
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Like most are saying, it is definitely possible to lose weight without exercising. I personally have not, but as weight loss is all a matter of calories in versus burned, exercising is not necessary.

However, I agree that without physical activity of some kind, you simply won't be as healthy. That's not to say that someone is 300 lbs and can barely walk to their mailbox should start in at 60 minutes of cardio. I'm not even there yet. But at a certain point, I think most people should pick up and slowly build up their activity level.

I started the C25K (running program) almost by accident. I knew what the first week should be, and one day, on a walk, I decided to try it. I can't tell you how hard it's been at times... or how rewarding that has been. I have so much more energy and a spring in my step that I definitely didn't have when I was just walking. I used to hate exercise. Now it's kind of a love-hate relationship. :yes:

RJS
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I lost my first ~60 pounds with no exercise. When things stalled out, I knew it was time to add it in.

When I started out, it just seemed too intimidating to try to change that much of my lifestyle. I wanted to focus on one thing at a time to build sustainable habits. For losing weight, diet was more important than exercise so I began with that.

The nicest thing about doing things this way, is that when I started exercising it was so much EASIER than I expected. I used to find physical exertion pretty miserable. With 60 pounds off my back, it was easier on my joints and I didn't get out of breath extremely quickly like I did before.

Exercise is a big part of my maintenance plan, but I'm happy I added it in later because I was able to stick to it better. If there's one thing I've learned at 3fatchicks, though, it's that different things work for different people and you must find what works best for you.

Beverlyjoy
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
I have lost all of my weight with very little, close to no exercise. I have a mobility challenge. I do, however, do stretches and strenthening exercises several times a week. (all non weight baring)

Renwomin
06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I've been able to lose almost fifty pounds with very little exercise. I'm kicking myself since one of my excuses before for not starting a lifestyle change was that I didn't have time to exercise. I thought I would have to exercise and modify my diet to see a decent change.

When you don't exercise you really have to be more careful with calorie intake. As you have to be more careful with caloric intake you need to b more mindful of eating healthy, nutritious food.

I'll likely add more exercise at some point for my own health. But I am so glad that I just started with diet modification first. I proved to myself that I could see great results just by watching my diet. As well it was easier to adopt one large change at a time.