General chatter - Calling All Crafty Chicks! Post your Crafty wares!

HoneyMustard
06-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I started a Crafty Chicks thread a while back and would like to do it again! I love being able to see what everyone is making. I consider myself very crafty and want to brag about it. So here are a few photos.

Can't wait to see what you all are up to!

Happy Crafting!

redchase
06-26-2010, 02:51 PM
OOOH i wanna add. i like to think im pretty crafty:carrot:. so here i go.

redchase
06-26-2010, 02:56 PM
heres some more of my stuff. oh and i have to say that i absolutely love the second pic. is that tatting? and your socks are gorgeous as well

ruby2sday
06-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Ooohhh I love this, cos I love making things of all kinds and I love seeing what others get up to!

Some of my jewellery (which has been my main focus lately):

HoneyMustard
06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
redchase- no, not tatting, tiny crochet. I use a steel hook size(s) 8-10 with thread #10. I have done some mojo bags in even smaller stitches with smaller hook and thread. Maybe this is why I'm going blind!lol! Those cakes are a riot! I love the Gene Simmons one! Are the first two pics on your first post cakes too? (sorry, thought they looked like pinatas.)

ruby2sday- Absolutely beautiful!!! I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to make metal jewelry. I tried my hand at bead-weaving, and wire wrapping with and without jig. I still have my supplies, but have yet to pick it up again! Us temperamental crafters!!

I have more pics too!
Pic 1- Bead woven collar necklace
Pic 2- Celtic style costume
Pic 3- Cosmos doily
Pic 4 & 5- Table runner

Aclai4067
06-26-2010, 03:44 PM
It's been a while since I've made anything. But my new roomie has a potter's wheel that I'm planning to get on soon. http://ashleyclaiborne.weebly.com/ashleys-artwork.html

ruby2sday
06-26-2010, 03:52 PM
heavyandhomebound, you are so right about us temperamental crafters!

I've done everything from tole/decorative painting, paper crafts and stamping, beaded jewellery, painting and collage, digital art, all the way up to my metalworking and lampwork bead making!

I think I'm hooked on my metal now though :)

I can't believe you crochet soooo tiny! My mom can do that too. I envy anyone that can sew and knit and crochet. I've never had the patience.

So nice to see what everyone enjoys doing in their time :)

ruby2sday
06-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Forgot to add that all of your stuff is gorgeous!

Do any of you ladies sell online anywhere?

kaplods
06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Right now I'm mostly crocheting, but here are some makeover dolls I've done (the only craft I have photos of, handy).

Aclai4067
06-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I tried to sell some pieces on etsy, but wasn't really dedicated to it and they never sold. I only had like 4 items posted and just kinda stuck 'em up there and forgot about them. I really haven't made a lot of marketable work. I thought I would be able to sell the blue "nesting" bowls (there's a pic of one on my website) pretty easily. But the glaze ran fairly badly on all but 2 of them, which my mom and my sister promptly claimed. Also, I have a penchant for dark earth tones and I think most buyers are more attracted to white clay bodies with light glazes.

HoneyMustard
06-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Ashley- did you make those pots! Beautiful. I could never manage to work clay.

Ruby- Thanks! I try to sell some things on e-bay, with no luck. I also try to sell at festivals. Used to work the craft shows, but life happens, and could no longer do it. Sometimes I wish I had an outlet, stuff piles up after a while!

kaplods- I love your name, it sounds Klingon! Those are soooo cute! I was having trouble trying to make the smaller images bigger, do I spy an Egyptian one in there? (I must admit, I consider myself an amateur Egyptologist.:D)

btw-I have changed usernames since starting this thread. Sorry any confusion!

kaplods
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
kaplods- I love your name, it sounds Klingon! Those are soooo cute! I was having trouble trying to make the smaller images bigger, do I spy an Egyptian one in there? (I must admit, I consider myself an amateur Egyptologist.:D)

Yep, the doll with the headdress was egyptian-inspired. I've done quite a few on that theme (I attached more views of the doll and a photo of another egyptianesque doll). Most of them, I've sold on ebay (I think I have two in storage yet, that I plan on eventually selling on ebay or etsy).

Fairies, egyptianesque queens, gypsies, mermaids and brides were my best sellers. Ebay got to be a pain though, because the costs were getting so high it was hard to make a profit. I've got an etsy id: WindsofWhimsy, but I haven't built my store yet, or even used it to buy (I understand that sellers do best if they've built a positive rating by buying a few items before they start selling).

As for the nickname... Klingon, huh? Cool! Actually it's one of the nicknames my father has used for me since I was tiny (it became fat kaplods after I started getting fat in kindergarten. After that, I was always fat kaplods, or fat jammers. I know that sounds horrible, but there was nothing but love in it. I think it's one of the reasons I've always had decent self-image and confidence, and why I was never as ashamed of my weight, as I felt I was supposed to be. I just could never truly believe that fat = bad.

I didn't mind the "fat" prefix, because of the love in it, but when I was in junior high and high school I was always afraid he'd "slip" and use it in front of people who wouldn't understand. Friends I'd had since babyhood, and cousins knew the secret (and I was always afraid they'd tell too), but I don't remember my father ever "slipping." Sweet, really.

treepeters
06-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh, this is a fun thread!!

I love everyone's stuff.
I'm going to get some photos to share too.
I just wanted to say hi.

-teresa

HoneyMustard
06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Ahhh Kaplods! Dads really are special! I miss mine-LOVE YOU DADDY!

Hello Teresa! Yeah I wanna see what you got!

ruby2sday
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Nice work everyone! So much fun to see everyone's craftiness :)

Aclai, I love pottery and have always wanted to learn to make beads and little things. I work with air dry clay, but still maybe one day :)

You're right about etsy. You really have to stick with it and be consistent. I have a couple shops there, and it's a lot of work. When I first went there about 4 years ago, I tried selling some of my small art/mixed media canvases. I had zero luck. But, similar to you, I thought I could put a couple things on there and wait for the sales. I know better now! I love it there though and have met some amazing people. You should try it again some time when you are ready to give it a full go. I'm sure that you would do well :)

Kaplods and Honey .. your things look like they require so much patience! Metalling tests mine some days and I want to throw the torch out the window, but your things look like so much work! I think it would make me insane. lol

redchase .. do you knit or crochet?

FrouFrou
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
GREAT work!

Aclai4067
06-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Well I was inspired to finally jump on my roomie's wheel. Man does that thing have a learning curve! On most wheels, the peddal controls the speed, the harder you press the faster it goes. On his wheel there seems to be just one speed, fast! Also his wheel rotates clockwise and I'm used to counterclockwise. When he gets home I'm going to ask him if there is a switch (a lot of wheels can go both ways).

So I didn't successfully make anything today, but I at least got some practice.

ruby- you must surely have a lot of patience. Of all the mediums I've tried, I thought jewelry took the most! I can't handle all the finishing work.

Optical Goddess
06-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm having trouble w/ the uploading, but here is a url

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007526&id=1076820385&l=f19a209d3d

It's for my facebook album of all my papercuttings. Instead of drawing with a pen or painting, I cut images from paper. The very last one in the album is a papercut portrait of Keith Richards.

I've promised myself that I'll scan all my work, even if I don't like it.

I also draw some....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024667&id=1076820385&l=6b6cab9e52

Rochester
06-26-2010, 06:17 PM
ruby2sday - I love your jewelry! I am a freak for homemade jewelry. :spin: And Ashley your pottery is beautiful.

I did pottery several years ago, but the cost of supplies and renting studio time just got to be too much. There was something so therapeutic and inspiring about the potter's wheel. *sigh* I miss it.

And I do something called art journaling. It's basically creating a page using art - painting, drawing, creating a collage, etc. - to give expression to a thought or feeling. It's hard to explain; if you google it, you'll get tons of info and examples. I love the freedom of it; there is no right or wrong, just expression.

I think I have some photos of stuff I've made on a flashdrive somewhere. I'll have to look.

Rochester
06-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Optical Goddess, your post come up when I was composing mine. The papercutting sounds intriguing (and your work is lovely). What's the process?

Sweetcaroline
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Ruby2sday... I'm curious if you took the photos of your jewelry ? If so, I think you may have another 'talent'... they look very professional the layouts are beautiful...

Aclai4067
06-26-2010, 06:25 PM
O.G.- very cool

Rochester- I was an art education major in Uni and visual journals are VERY popular in art ed now. Have you seen Dan Eldon's journal? His family published it, it's called The Journey is the Destination and it's amazing!

Optical Goddess
06-26-2010, 06:28 PM
It's kind of like making snow flakes out of paper. Early on I used construction paper but use fine card stock, a cutting mat and an exacto knife withh lots of blades.

The patterns come from different sources, such as stain glass patters, silhouettes, just drawing them, the cessna was taken from a photo of a cessna..it was a gift....some are symmetrical, so it's folded, some aren't.
When I have more time and less going on in my life I'm going to invest in some origami paper for more delicate cuttings.

luciddepths
06-26-2010, 06:45 PM
OMGS!! YAYYYYYY i didnt know we had a CRAFTY BUNCH!!!! when i get home i'm gonna be POSTING! woot woot!

crochet/sewer here.. i make amigurumi!

therex
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
this is a great thread!

i'm working on a traditional mexican embroidered dress.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4737152468_18619315a0.jpg

it's the first dress i'm making, and it's obviously very far from being done.. but i'm excited to see how it turns out.

HoneyMustard
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
WOW, HELLO ALL!!!

How wonderful that so many of you have posted, just today. All that beautiful work! Keep em' comin'!

luciddepths
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146751&id=505353173&l=f1c319702d
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38900&id=505353173&l=8dc7ba035d

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21051&id=505353173&l=d5a990fcf9

ruby2sday
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
OMG you guys are seriously so talented! I'm loving seeing everyone's work. I don't have many opportunities to discuss craftiness with many because all of my friends are not the crafty type, and they just look at me like .. ummm okay! lol

Optical - Wow on that papercutting! Now that looks like it takes a lot of patience.

Rochester - I also do art journalling! How cool is that?! I love it. Helps me relax :)

Sweetcaroline - I actually do take my own photos for my shop. They are all done on my kitchen window sill .. but shhhhhh don't tell! lol Thanks so much for the comment :) Photos have been a struggle for me, and I think I have greatly improved since the beginning of my shop. Nice to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Photography is actually one thing I would love to learn as well one day :) I really envy those that can take amazing photos.

therex - That is going to be beautiful when it's done.

Can't remember who commented on patience for jewellery, but yes, I suppose you are right. All of the steps, especially for my metalwork jewellery, and the finishing, does test my patience some days :) Probably anything that we create requires some patience.

Can't wait to check in next time and see more crafty goodness!

klambeth82
06-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I cant post pics yet but I make tutus and hairbows for my daughter. I just got through making her a silver and white tutu with little diamonds on it for my mother in laws wedding, I can't wait for her to wear it!

ruby2sday
06-27-2010, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=kaplods;3359445]
I've got an etsy id: WindsofWhimsy, but I haven't built my store yet, or even used it to buy (I understand that sellers do best if they've built a positive rating by buying a few items before they start selling).

Kaplods .. I think getting some positive feedback helps, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. When I opened my shop, I had no feedback at all, and got sales. I also know personally, I have bought from new shops with no feedback if I really wanted the item.

IMO more importantly is to get your shop set up nicely, have great pics, and be consistent in listing items and having a good selection. In other words, be ready to work your butt off! lol If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

If you go for it, best of luck to you!

klambeth82
06-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Yay! I can post pics now :carrot:

HoneyMustard
06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Everyone!

Finally put the last couple of rows on my hat! This is the first crochet hat I've ever made. Also some baby stuff I plan on donating.

klambeth82-The tutu is soooo adorable!! Makes me wish I was a ballerina!

luciddepths- Your stitching is so clean and uniform!

therex- Your embroidery skill is breathtaking! The colors are so vibrant!

To everyone else - Simply marvelous!!

HEY KAPLODS- I neeeeed one of those Egyptian dolls!! How can I get one from you?

kaplods
06-28-2010, 12:26 AM
HEY KAPLODS- I neeeeed one of those Egyptian dolls!! How can I get one from you?

I think if I talk about how to give, sell, or trade my dolls, that would be considered "self-promotion," which is against the rules.

I didn't really think about it, since I'm not actively selling right now (haven't sold on ebay in over 2 years), and wasn't thinking about opening my etsy store until September.

I don't want to get in trouble, or get anyone into trouble. I think you could probably contact me through pm or etsy. I don't know if there's any rules against that (since I mentioned my etsy id here. Maybe that was a mistake).

I'll look through the forum rules and see if I can discover the right thing to do or say, and how to say it. I think I can pm you with my email, but I'm not sure of that.

Any posters or moderators know how this should be handled. Did I make a big faux pas by even mentioning that I intend to sell my dolls again at some point?

Is there an acceptable way for me to contact HoneyMustard or for her to contact me about selling or trading our crafts to one another?

Do I need to delete or edit my posts to remove references to selling or to remove specific information (like the etsy id)?

Suzanne 3FC
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Kaplods you are fine :) And it's ok to list your etsy store. I even posted a thread some time back asking who all is on etsy, either as a buyer or seller. I buy tons of things there and am considering selling soon :)

Feel free to list your links. We just want newbies signing up just to post their links, that could be an issue :)

kaplods
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks so much Suzanne, I'm so relieved.

HoneyMustard, you can pm me or contact me through etsy (WindsofWhimsy) or on Ravelry (kaplods). I'm new to using etsy, so Ravelry or 3FC pm would be faster (I'm on 3FC most often).

HoneyMustard
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Suzanne, your awesome! Kaplods, I had the same questions, but was fearful of the rules too. I'll PM you soon! I have to talk to DH first.

ruby2sday
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
yayyyyy for Etsy! I <3 Etsy :D

kaplods
06-28-2010, 10:38 PM
HoneyMustard, I got your pm, but I couldn't send one to you (something about you choosing not to accept pm's, maybe when you set up your account).

If you want to see if you can change that setting, or send me a pm with an email address or some other way to contact you? I would definitely be interested in selling or trading (I love the crochet hook caddy in your pics).

I'll also find and photograph the dolls I have that I think you might like.

kaplods
07-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Here's another pic. She's egyptian inspired, but you can see the inspiration is more Cleopatra meets vintage Star Trek, Buck Rogers, or Battlestar Galactica (60's through early 80's tacky).

luciddepths
07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Finally got around to posting some! Now i dont really make too much anymore- photos have been my main focus lately.
I kinda do things randomly, wood work, crochet, photography, tile making..sewing
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v296/112/19/505353173/n505353173_796507_3493.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs175.snc3/20254_310477828173_505353173_3567274_2559740_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v935/112/19/505353173/n505353173_1201567_2003.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v130/112/19/505353173/n505353173_240223_7751.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2309/112/19/505353173/n505353173_1427018_3017.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs137.snc3/18454_260107108173_505353173_3399890_6905670_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs203.snc3/21054_301799863173_505353173_3534476_95871_n.jpg

HoneyMustard
07-12-2010, 06:50 PM
LOL Lucid! DH and I loooove the Bender doll!

Haven't been motivated lately, but now I remember that my older brother's wife is expecting. Guess that means a new baby blanket needs to be made!

Anyone have a cute baby blanket pattern? I get so tired of doing the same blanket.

kaplods
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

and their sister site

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

Both sites have some really great patterns. Use the directories, because you can search on baby items specifically, or you can also search under afghan patterns or under squares or stitches, and just adapt them to baby size.

HoneyMustard
07-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks! Now I need yarn!

honeythorn
08-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Denim and faux leather backing, Real rabbit skull from etsy (result of pest control) , real greenfich wings (found it on the side of the road ) that I dried in salt, pearl bead eyes and plum ribbon ties . I'm really really pleased with it ( I'm the model in the pic also )

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/honeythorn/stuff2987996j5.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/honeythorn/stuff29879963.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/honeythorn/stuff29879964.jpg

Crestfallen
08-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Honey Thorn- Your creation is wicked. I am in love with it!

I do a bit of this and that. I haven't been doing as much with clay as I used to. My main focus has been cake decorating, which I just started. I would love to put some of the pictures up once I reach my post limit.