Nutrition and Labeling - vitamins

View Full Version : vitamins

mrian
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Are vitamins needed if your eating a healthy balanced diet ? Thoughts please

tommy
06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
My personal opinion is that "no they are not needed". That said, I eat an enormous variety of vegetables and fruits, vary my proteins and meals in general and avoid processed foods for the most part. I remember an Oprah show years ago when Tina Turner said she did not take them, that they disagreed with her system, etc. So my personal choice is not to take them. The advertising for "vitamin enriched" products makes me crazy- how do they know what else I am eating. I wake up every morning with energy and no need to "caffeine up" and rarely get sick.

bacilli
06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I think it depends on the person. I'm B12 and D deficient, so supplement for those. I'm also a tad anemic, so I take iron pills. As for a daily multi-vitamin, for me, my doctor thinks it's not necessary.

My husband eats the same things I do, for the most part, and he takes a multi-vitamin, because his body processes vitamins and minerals differently than mine does.

Sherrystanggirl
09-06-2010, 01:14 AM
You can get a lot of vitamins you need from certain foods (ex. veggies and fruit). Taking vitamins are not "necessary" but taking vitamins helps to fill in the gaps. Most people just view it as an added health benefit.