Weight Loss Support - Snacks on plane

View Full Version : Snacks on plane

Karen925
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Howdy,
I got 100 cal packages of nuts & fiber bars. Should I take them out of their sealed wrappers and put in clear small zippo bags. I also got 80 cal prepackaged string cheese & fresh green beans.

The cheese wrapper is clear so it should not be a problem. I have googled this and went to gov website but couldn't get good guidance.
Thanks,

AnnieDrews
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't think you would need to remove the nuts, etc. from their original packaging. In fact, if something was in home-made baggie packaging, I would think it might be more suspicious. Call your airport and ask about it if you are concerned.

chnkymonkey
06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought it was liquids and gels they were worried about, not food.
Accourding to the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped.

sotypical
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Never had an issue taking food on a plane. As long as you don't have fresh fruits and veggies and are entering another country you should be fine. I take snack foods on planes whenever I fly!

GradPhase
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Yep - ditto to everyone else. I fly a LOT and I haven't ever had trouble with food on any airlines - as long as it's not something packaged in water.

mandalinn82
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Yep - you don't have to remove anything from packages. Liquids are the only restricted thing (and produce if you're going between countries).

Karen925
06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I will pick up lettuce salad and add my own nuts & cheese. Empty water bottle and fill it up at same place I get salad. Lemon juice packet for dressing & dt coke with SB choc fiber bar. I tried dried green beans in the store. 120 cal for 1/2 cp. I could eat 2 cups of them without registering I did that. So I opted for fresh and going in zippo snack bags.

synger
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
OT, but I read this as "Snakes on a Plane", and had a vision of Samuel L. Jackson...

"Enough is enough! I have had it with the terrible snacks on this terrible plane! " (cleaned-up version)

SCraver
06-24-2010, 12:48 PM
OT, but I read this as "Snakes on a Plane", and had a vision of Samuel L. Jackson...

"Enough is enough! I have had it with the terrible snacks on this terrible plane! " (cleaned-up version)

LOL! Mee too!

saef
06-24-2010, 12:56 PM
LOL ^^^^

http://www.lamemovies.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/snakesonaplane.jpg

"You mean they don't serve anything but sodium-coated peanuts on this M&%$FU#* plane? And two cups of water over a six-hour flight????!!! Girl, you betta bring your own snacks onto this plane if you wanna stay on plan."

Karen925
06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
LOL ^^^^
Girl, you betta bring your own snacks onto this plane if you wanna stay on plan."
LOL what a nice chuckle. :dizzy:

I enjoy how I am not finished finding ways to stay POP. I have travelled many times while losing but this time, after experimenting with my lunch choices in anticipation of our big Western trip, I said, I don't want high sodium grilled chicken if I can bring my LF string cheese and 100 cal nuts. As a treat, I will have a SB fiber bar with dt coke. I don't want the fiber bars in our home but for traveling, it will definitely feel like a treat.

I also have had capricious security checks, so I am a bit nervous about bringing my snacks.

DS is a muscular 18 male, cocaptain of LAX team, so he can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants.

dani13
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
same here:)
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

oodlesofnoodles
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
LOL ^^^^

"You mean they don't serve anything but sodium-coated peanuts on this M&%$FU#* plane? And two cups of water over a six-hour flight????!!! Girl, you betta bring your own snacks onto this plane if you wanna stay on plan."

HAHAHA win!!! I was totally thinking this too lmao.

edit- Hey you put up a picture! You're pretty!

Karen925
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM
saef is very pretty.

mandalinn82
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM
So on the dubbed TBS version, the line was "I have had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this monday-to-friday plane".

Which of course I also instantly replaced with snacks. Monkey fighting snacks! Like Bananas!

saef
06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Karen925, why thank you.

[Snack on, sistah. Healthily, of course.]

Thank you also, OodlesofNoodles.

I need to find a Before picture & do one of those posts that everyone does, with the Before/After. [Adds it to her "To Do" List.]

Karen925
06-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Snacks & empty water bottle made it through SAN airport.

Ookpik
06-26-2010, 12:50 AM
I used to work in airport screening...in Canada, but the rules aren't that different, especially in regards to liquids, creams, gels and aerosols. I never took snacks from anybody, but just make sure that any liquids are 100 mL or less, and can collectively fit in a 1 L bag. I think someone else mentioned it in in this thread -- the TSA website is probably your best bet.

vesperpt
06-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Ookpik,
Its great to see someone who knew the rules for snacks in Canada! I was just about to ask. I've never attempted to bring snacks with me on a flight, but with one coming up in two weeks and not wanting to eat their foods it seems like a good idea :)