Atkins - Starting Atkins..Bacon Question

View Full Version : Starting Atkins..Bacon Question

Melsie52
06-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello,

I started Atkins years ago, but never really gave it a good shot. Now I have the determination to make this my way of eating. I am coming off Medifast and counting calories, I just couldn't do it anymore.

Question: I live in Colorado and don't have Trader Joe's here. What kind of bacon do you all buy that is a good on program one?

I got all my books and am reading from front to back. I got such deals at Goodwill and buys at my public library. I got the 2002 version and good Atkin's cookbooks.

Thanks for all your help,
Melanie in Colorado :hug:

hairchick40v
06-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I use the microwave, for easy of use!! Oscar Meyer

spaghetticat
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I bought some bacon from whole foods. Generally anything that is nitrate free is okay i think. Check around for other local health food stores, they might not carry a ton of meat, like we have Davids Natural market- however they have a small amount. You just want to avoid the carcinogen from the nitrate :)
hope that helps!

sckakame
06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Simple ~ good ol reg bacon. But.. I am not a food purist so I dont' even check for nitrates, only carbs. I don't eat it daily, so I dont' think it matters. I could though, eat it every single day. YUM!!! The regular Oscar Meyer cooks up crisp!

Torister
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I typically use the store brand of bacon or Kirkland if I have gone to Costco. I have bacon nearly every morning. YUM!

sarahinparis
07-08-2010, 06:44 AM
I am more of a food purist (organic) and especially regarding certain foods, bacon being one of them. Whole foods has organic & nitrate-free bacon. I don't think its a big deal if you don't eat it often, but if you want it to be a staple or regular food, the science on nitrates is pretty frightening - it would be money well spent in my opinion...