Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default TMI I know, But Ok, I'm Constipated!

There, I said it
I've been constipated for about 10 days now. No idea why, haven't changed anything. I did have two days over the weekend when I went off plan, but I'd been constipated before then.
I usually poop after breakfast most days but have been about 3-4 times total in 10 days and even when I do I still feel like I've not been properly if you can understand what I mean.
The scale is showing a pound up even after being TOTALLY back on plan for three days and I'm getting frustrated. I'm just hoping that it is the constipation causing the gain, but I'm at a loss as what to do to resolve it.
I'm drinking loads of water, eating lots of fruit and vegetables etc. I even took a laxative tablet on Sunday night which meant I did poop a little on Monday morning, but it seems that was a fluke
Should I keep taking the tablets for a few days, or try something else? I'm just feeling so yuck, I need a really good poop!
I really can't believe I'm posting this, feel like I'm telling you all my darkest secrets , it's just a good job we're good friends
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 255.8/238.6/135

Height: 5'2"

When I'm constipated I usually take about 60ml of Milk of Magnesia followed by a full glass of water. (You can usually find it in a blue bottle at a local drugstore) It tastes absolutely horrible and makes you cringe after you drink it, but I find out of all the laxatives out there, this one works best for me.

Constipation can be caused by a number of things, Make sure your getting enough fiber a day, and drinking lots of fluids. If you have not had a bowel movement for over three days in a row (especially if you have taken a laxative) you should probably take a visit to the doctor since there is always that possibility the constipation is a result of a more serious problem
diesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/150

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I know when I have been constipated before I drink a glass of prune juice and it cleared me right up. I have had that problem when I was doing a low carb diet and not getting enough fiber in my diet.
uclr0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Constipation can easily add 1 or 2 pounds. Sounds to me like you need some oil, healthy preferred but unhealthy works. I struggle with this a lot and a low fat diet makes it worse. Our bodies need some fat to work correctly. Try eating a salad with olive oil.

I have found there are 4 things that help constipation:

- fiber
- water
- exercise
- fat

Also, I have found that prunes followed by hot coffee works as a laxative.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6

As uncomfortable as it might be I was told to go running and after two days of running/elliptical I was back to normal. I hope it gets better soon!

I also agree if it gets much worse for this long please don't hesitate to go to the dr!
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/248/150

Height: 5'4"ish

My mom told me last night that if you're eating too MUCH fiber, more than your body is used to, you'll get constipated too. Which I can only assume is what's happening to me.

I mean **** I got this way bc of a distinct lack of eating healthy. Now suddenly I'm eating more fruit, I'm choosing foods that have more/added fiber. Sadly the only thing that really got me "moving" today was eating a little too much chickenfat drippings with dinner =/
I already have tenuous bowels, they like to suddenly and randomly evacuate. Eat something cold followed by something hot? My body says ALL OUT! I can eat 2 tbsp Peanubutter one day and be fine, the next? ALL OUT!

ugh.

I'm thinking about buying those "probiotic" colon health pills that are OTC.
Lilly221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

This happened to me a few weeks ago, it sucks, and it hurts! I talked to my pharmacist and he recommended drinking more fluids WITH my meals. It definitely helped, also helps when I eat broccoli and cauliflower more consistently. Not too sure the logic on that, but just happy it works!

Hope things get moving for you soon!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/211/180

Height: 5"7

it's funny, when I was eating bad, i was in the bathroom after my last bit of whatever grease i was consuming that day. Then when i started eating tons of vegetables I was still going through a cleansing period forever running to the bathroom. and then BAM!!! i couldn't poop! for days. I had never experienced this and the horrible feeling of pains and bloating that come along with it. So I ate a ton of prunes. It definately worked a little too well.
Krist10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Sometimes when i have that issue, i take a stool softener for a few days. Then as soon as i'm back on track, i stop taking them.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/257/165

Height: 5' 8"

Hi ladies (I think,?), It's making too much of a dramatic change one way or the other that can affect your colon and bowel functions.

Try moderating your changes and your bm's will be more normal.

Sometimes a LOW dosage of fiber, mixed with lots of water, will help calm and regulate your colon. This will allow the wave-like motions your colon makes to move the food along at a more even rhythm and less, shall we say, dramatically.

I know from personal experience and from my gastroenterologist: fiber can help slow you down if you go too fast, or speed you up if you go too slowly.

In the middle it'll calm your colon down.
I use citrucel....very nice, natural tasting orange flavor. Not bad mixed with cold water. About 1 teaspoon mixed with at least 8 ounces cold water, stirred well, and drunk before the fibers expand too much. Follow up with a few more sips of water. 4 ounces, maybe. (Do this only once a day, unless your doctor tells you differently.)

Taken at such a small dosage it can't hurt you and it might help.
MissNibs.

Last edited by MissNibs; 06-27-2010 at 11:52 PM.
MissNibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #11  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

fiber, water, exercise...especially if it's a recurring problem. Don't want to become laxative dependent.

prune juice chased by water (both tea temperature) used to do it for me.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

i want to second the idea of adding a little fat into your diet. This is a common problem I have when I forget to include sufficient fat. Sometimes, I get overzealous about eating "healthy"/low fat and forget that a little fat is important to the body's proper functioning.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I had this problem back in Feb, induced I"m sure by stress. Nothing I was doing helped, I tried everything except a pill laxative, cause those make me crazy sick, I ended up calling the doctor, cause I was in so much pain I could barely sit. I was starting to think I was going to have to have surgery or something. The nurse said before coming in, to try miralax and a stool softner. So, I took the afternoon off, took the stool softner, drank the miralax, and it actually worked! I was so happy. I still deal with constipation almost weekly, but the miralax does seem to help the most. I hate those OTC laxative pills, cause I just end up so sick and dizzy from them.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote