Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #1  
Getting the grrr back!

S/C/G: 162/162/154!

Height: 5'10"

Default Depression/compulsive eating?

Hi chicks,

I've been on 3fc for a while as I've been struggling with my weight for years but I never went on this particular forum until yesterday. When I did I realised that a lot of what I read really sounded familiar to my own recent habits.

I'm a vegetarian and I usually have really good will power: during lent I can give up chocolate for the entire 6 weeks and not give in, which is something I'm always proud of. In the past 2 years I've gone on a few diets (weightwatchers usually) and I always lose about 7 pounds, which i can then keep off easily by sticking to my food plan.
In March this year I was in hospital for some tests on my lungs, as I've always had difficulty breathing but it was always brushed off as being nothing by my (horrible) doctor. On the 30th of March this year I was diagnosed as having an incurable and untreatable lung disease, and informed that my current state of health is the healthiest I'll ever be, that my lungs will get worse and worse. I'm 22 and Ive never smoked or drank or done anything unhealthy in my life so as you can imagine I was devastated. Since then I just feel totally out of control, especially my eating. I'm pretty positive that I'm wheat or dairy intolerant as I get really bad stomach pains from these foods but I keep eating them even though it hurts. I just feel like I need to eat constantly, like i have this nervous energy and I need to do something and eating is all I can think of to do. At the same time I cant concentrate on anything in my life and it feels like nothing is important, i feel like i deserve to be fat and sick.

I dont mean to go on about it but I was wondering if anyone thinks there could be a connection? As well as the constant need to eat (even when I'm so stuffed I feel like I'll burst if I eat any more and then I go on and eat more anyway) I've been lying to people about my food habits, which Ive never ever done before. Im eating so healthy in public (low fat and wheat and dairy free) but then as soon as im home I'm just gorging. Im also eating in secret, like hiding the chocolate wrappers so no one knows how many Ive had. Ive never ever been like this and Im getting worried.

The mad thing is I'm aware of it and I still cant stop, and I dont want to say it to anyone cos I'm afraid they'll just say "just dont eat" or "stop being so greedy"

Sorry about the long post, im just feeling a bit worked up about this
CelticTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #2  

Surely sounds like a connection. Tough to get such a diagnosis at your young age. Keeping feelings in is called "eating our feelings"- yup we eat and eat and eat to try to make the pain go away. Use the internet and the resources at the hospital to see if there is a support group for your condition. Getting out the feeling, plus getting good ideas with others in a similar place may go a long way towards breaking the eat/eat/eat cycle of dealing with the tough stuff. HUgs!
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote