General Diet Plans and Questions - Does anyone have any reviews?

View Full Version : Does anyone have any reviews?

soxmanyxemotions
06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm looking for personal reviews on programs such as weight watchers, curves, or slim fast.

I've been working out and changed my diet but I'm still not seeing results I'm still bouncing back and forth between a two pound radius. I really wanna know if anything like slim fast, weight watchers, curves, alli or even acai pills have worked for anyone and the story behind it. Please leave me your story.

:)

Onederchic
06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Calorie counting and exercise works for me :D

chnkymonkey
06-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I can't say I've stuck to any of the programs you mention above - but in the end, it all comes down to calories in vs calories out. Its just how they trick you into sticking to it.

I have started taking Mega green tea (decaf), ginseng, vitamin B and fish oil. While I haven't had the appetitie and my energy levels have been pretty stable, I'm still dealing with my food obsession and getting my eating program stabalized so I can start losing. I can't say I have any success with that concoction either.

HoneyMustard
06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Check out this thread-Does it Work?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/

sotypical
06-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Ditto! No pills and it's free!

Beverlyjoy
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Counting calories, journalling, planning ahead, measuring food, writing down all food eaten, working on slow/mindful eating, tasting/enjoying each bite, feeling fullness, meditation, along with some exercise has worked for me.

Pick a plan that you can really live with. Of course, everyone tweaks their plan as time goes on. I feel it's not just about the weight....but, learning to live with food in a healthy and sane manner.

ncuneo
06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I voted other. I did Nutrisystem for 4 months to get me started, get me used to smaller portions, etc. The food was pretty bad and tore up my stomach so I started doing Nutrisystem on my own with online support boards. I then watched my portions and breastfeed after my son was born and switched to calorie counting once he stopped nursing. Now I'm still calorie counting and just starting to get into whole foods and super foods. Any plan will work as long as you stick with it, so pick one that best suites your lifestyle and as you learn and lose you can adapt. If you'd asked me if I would be going with whole/super foods a few months ago I'd say no way.

Glory87
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I created my own plan. It's a combination of:

* Whole foods - getting off the Standard American Diet. Emphasis on vegetables, fruits, lean protein, complex carbohydrates - eat foods that are nutritionally powerful, avoid foods that are nutritionally vacant

* Volumetrics - stay happy and satisfied with large portions of lower calorie foods.

* Calorie counting - stay accountable. Measure, weigh, look stuff up online. It's been six years - I STILL measure pasta.

Gold32
06-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Calorie counting, increasing veggie, eliminating most sugars, and more exercise (started the C25K) has been working for me.

I haven't tried any of the others, except for Slimfast. I'd do a can for breakfast, thinking it has more calories than I normally do for breakfast, and protein, I should be fine. Every time I've done Slimfast, I've been STARVED. I've concluded it's either the sugar, or the fact that it isn't solid. It obviously works for some, but not me. Not to mention, it's not a long term solution. To keep weight off, you really, truly, need to learn the right foods to eat and grow to love and crave them. Slimfast for life? Erm, no.

dorothy52
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
HMR has really helped me. I love the fact that I can consume tons of vegetables and fruit and not feel this guilty feeling of OMG I just at something. Besides the shakes are fantastic.

rockinrobin
06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
the thing is - most plans work - IF you stick with them.

When you say that you are bouncing around, it's probably that you stick with a plan for a week or two, lose a few pounds, then go OFF the plan.

Long term, consistent, steady weight loss can not occur if you don't adhere to a plan - some plan.

So you have to find a plan that you CAN stick to, but more importantly - that you are WILLING to stick to. Because at some point you will have to stick with something.

There are no magic pills, drinks, potions or what have you.

Losing weight and lots and lots of it IS a doable thing - if you DECIDE to do it, COMMIT to doing it and are WILLING TO DO WHAT'S NECESSARY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. It takes effort, thought, determination, persistence, consistency and willingness.

For me that meant accepting the fact that I could no longer eat whatever I wanted when I wanted. I was going to have to be mature and responsible about my food intake from here on in. I had to make peace with and accept the fact that I could no longer eat the high quantity/high calorie foods. But luckily good eating begets more good eating and I fell in love with this healthy lifestyle. I wish I had known earlier just how enjoyable and more fulfilling life is to be slim, trim, fit and healthy. Eating this way is no hardship, but a joy and a blessing.

Anyway, I digress, my plan was also a self devised one of sorts and is almost identical to Glorys, though I believe I eat less grains, even the complex ones.

I count calories, making those calories good, nutritious, mostly whole foods. I bulk up on veggies, veggies and more veggies, lean proteins, no fat dairy products and some fruit.

What I don't eat it just as important as what I DO eat. I had to impose restrictions on my eating. I had to ban lots of foods since once I started eating them, I had a hard time stopping - my solution - don't start. Problem solved! 165 lost and maintained for almost 3 years now. I had to give up the flour, rice, pasta, etc and the sugar. After making peace with that and a couple of difficult weeks, it was miraculous - the longer I went without it, the less and less I wanted it. Seems hard to believe, but that is the case as I've heard is the case with dozens upon dozens of others as well.

So please don't look at passing up on the high calorie/high quantity foods as deprivation. You must look at it as EATING them as the deprivation - deprivation of the best life possible.

Oh one more thing, pre-planning is CRUCIAL to my overall plan. Eating well doesn't happen on it's own. You can't wing it. It must be thought out and planned in advance. Know where each and every meal/snack is coming from. Keep good, healthy delicious foods in your home - eliminate the junk. Food journaling is also an incredible tool and you should take advantage of it.

L144S
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
I am a BobyBugg Person. Loved this program, yes you buy the gadget and yes there is a subscription. this gadget measures your calories out and through the program you enter in your consumed calories looking for a daily deficite based on a program you make for yourself and how fast you want to lose.

I can't say enough about this BB. I learned that I can eat and lose weight, I do have to move daily, I can maintain, I don't have to starve, I can eat cake or pizza when an occation calls for it, and I can lose slowly and keep it off and never have to guess if I did enough.

This is not a diet, it is a tool in learning how you can make the best of what you do and don't do.

So the down side I supose is that you have to pay, but WW, curves, Ali among others listed all have a cost too.

Good luck I hope you find what workd for you.

motivated chickie
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I voted for Other.

I did outpatient eating disorder treatment two years ago. That helped me with my binge eating immensely. The clinic focused on balanced eating rather than an abstinence model.

My eating plan is centered around "food as fuel" rather using food for comfort. Theoretically, I can eat whatever I want as long as it doesn't trigger a binge. However, there are many foods I cannot eat sensibly (yet???) so I stick mostly with veggies, milk, all proteins, and a little bit of fruit.

Exercise is the anchor to my plan. I don't do it so much to burn calories, but to raise my self-esteem and promote fitness. I exercise every day, but not in an intense way. I do exercise that I enjoy: walking, dancing, biking, and running.

The other part of my program is persistence. I have had many binge episodes since treatment ended, but I dust myself off and carry on. I never give up.

aliquot
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Calorie counting and exercise, same as above posters!

Breannaj1215
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Calorie counting is the only thing working for me. I tried south beach and it worked for a week then i gained it all back plus some. Weight watches works but i feel like you dont learn as much as you do when you count calories. Thats my opinion. I tried it and think calorie counting is better

TXMary2
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I have tried WW, Curves and Slim Fast.

WW wasn't strict enough for me. The point thing was too vague for me. Curves, I never worked up a sweat, but when I did Curves I was about 20 pounds less than I am now. Slim Fast just wasn't sustainable and not something I can do forever. I do like Slim Fast and use it more as a chocolate snack rather than a meal replacement.

I have been counting calories and it works for me.

TJFitnessDiva
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I reached my goal with weight watchers :) I'm maintaining easier while counting calories though with the lose it app on my iphone (for some reason it's easier)

Stella4
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I voted other.

I'm doing the Herbal Magic program. I take all natural, herbal supplements (2 of them - multi-vitamin & chromium and magnesium) as well as plenty of nutricious foods (veggies, fruits, whole grains, protein, dairy, etc) and exercise.

SCraver
06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
RockinRobin is 112% right - it is about what plan you are willing to stick with.

Weight Watchers: I think is a great program that helps tons of people. It wasn't for me. I didn't like counting points. I didn't like weekly official weigh-ins and I didn't like the price tag. BUT that is were I first learned the idea of portion control.

Slim-Fast: I have dabbled in this, but I don't see it as a realistic long term thing.

Alli: I haven't tried... I am afraid of $#!&ing my pants. :)

Curves: My mom did Curves for years and loved it. The only drawback is that you can't increase weight/resistance as you get better. Curves is GREAT for starting out, but I am freakishly strong and don't get enough of a work out at Curves (my mom took me to try it a couple times)

Acai: I haven't tried. I imagine it is like most other supplements that work when you use them along with diet and exercise.

I have also done some calorie counting. I have been to see nutritionist. I have been to a psychiatrist for some therapy. Now that I am into a groove... I know what is an appropriate amount for me to eat in a day. I focus on getting in veggies everyday. I eat fruit. I drink water. I jog. I strength train. I do these things because they make me feel good and I am focusing on that. I have been practicing on stopping when I feel full. I eat a small snack when I am hungry. I don't eat when I am not. I limit my booze intake. I limit snacks and sweets.

It sounds like a lot, but when I first started (nine years ago) I was 250 lbs and I only started with switching from white to wheat bread and doing 10 mins a day on the elliptical. Little by little, I added more and more and learned what worked for me and what didn't work.

duckyyellowfeet
06-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I voted for WW, but its really not WW. I have my mom's old program from 2000, the "Winning Points" system. I've never been to meetings and i don't pay for it.

Aclai4067
06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
WW works if you stick to it, as just about all plans do. It's really about finding what you are going to be willing to do. I'm more comfortable with the points system than counting calories and find it easier. Some calorie counters say points are too complicated. Find what works for you!

soxmanyxemotions
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I voted for WW, but its really not WW. I have my mom's old program from 2000, the "Winning Points" system. I've never been to meetings and i don't pay for it.

I'm pretty sure my mom did that for a bit too, not completely sure though. Anyway, she lost a good 50 pounds in like 6 months and she was keeping it off then she stopped smoking and gained it all back.
She would smoke when she was hungry and now she has nothing. Unfortunately, I am doing what she was... I smoke when I'm hungry now. Or I will put together a scoop of lo-fat ice cream, a dabble of milk, cut up 5 strawberries and half a banana. Make a yummy smoothie and I'm set for like the next few hours. I know it's not the safest, but it makes me happy and soothes my cravings. I'm not sure what else to do... My diets never seem to stick, especially now that i lost my job, i cannot afford food at all so I have to eat what my parents buy.

PaulaM
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Trying to eliminate "white" foods, potatoes, rice, pasta, white bread -
quit drinking diet soda - tea and water now
for me, much more than changing my diet is getting back to working out a lot! I go to the Y at least four days a week, I do the treadmill for 30 mins, circuit training, and then swim for at least 1/2 an hour. Once a week I do Zumba. I am losing slowly but really firming up and making muscles. -
I would rather burn more calories than restrict eating them too drastically

kaplods
08-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Of the 85 lbs I've lost so far, it hasn't been on one plan or program, but on several. My food plan is constantly evolving (like me).

The only constant has been deciding never to give up, and to never allow myself to think that my effort isn't worth it - not even when the weight loss is stalling or I don't like the food plan I'm on (then it's time to change the plan, not give up).

I've also abolished some dieting traditions and rituals I've followed all of my life such as those regarding:

1. Off-plan eating

If you eat something off plan, you have permission - heck you have the obligation to eat as much as you can until you can start fresh tomorrow morning (unless it's Thursday or later, then the rule is to eat as much as possible all weekend in order to start fresh on Monday morning). If the off-plan eating occurs after Thanksgiving - then the rule is to eat as much possible for the rest of the year until January 1.

2. Changing plans

If you decide that the current weight loss plan is not for you, you must take a "vacation" from dieting until you decide which plan is. This extent and length of this vacation at minimum will follow the same rules as off-plan eating above. However to really do it right - you must gain back ALL of the weight you lost on the "wrong" plan. Until you are at your highest weight (you earn extra points if you wait until you weigh at least 10 lbs more than your previous highest weight) before starting the new and improved plan.

3. Exercise

Exercise should always be extremely intense and difficult, or it should not be attempted at all. If when you're done, you don't feel like you're about to drop dead of a stroke or heart attack - you didn't do it right. DO NOT MOVE unless you are willing to exercise at this intensity. If it's fun - you're also not doing it right. As with off-plan eating, when you fail to meet your exercise goals on any day, you must refrain from exercising or any unnecessary movement until the following Monday or January 1 if the plan violation occurs in November (if there is snow on the ground, it is also acceptable to postpone exercising until the first day of Spring or when there is no trace of snow on the grown, whichever is the latter).

Of course those are stupid rituals, but I also know I'm not the only person to have followed them, or similarly destructive ones.

I don't think my food plan is responsible for my success "this time." I think that diets I followed in the past would have been and could have been as successful if it weren't for all of the ways I shot myself in the foot. Most of the habits were those I learned from other people. I saw how dieting "is done" and I followed the role models I had.

Learning to break out of the sterotype was a challenge. Learning to think differently, act differently, BE different. It was harder than I would have ever guessed (being that I had so little trouble being different in other ways).

Natasha1534
08-10-2010, 06:43 AM
The South Beach Diet is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I've been doing SB since mid-April and I exercise twice a day (walking approximately 3 miles and then doing 25 minutes on the elliptical). At last weigh-in I had lost 61 pounds. :)

Coondocks
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM

The same for me.

I have tried weight watchers, and while I did lose some weight, found the point system easy to use, I didn't 'learn' anything when it came to actual calorie counts, what they mean, what you need, what you don't. 2 points for this, 3 for that, 1 for that . . . . didn't really get into much more than that.
I am glad I did it, it eased me into the whole calorie counting idea - but I much prefer doing it this way.

fatmad
08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I used curves as a jumping off point. Until then I never exercised regularly. I started going and went 3-4 times a week. It was easy, just drop in for about 35 minutes and go. Open good hours so and the location was good for me too. I did eventually get bored of the routine, and joined a regular gym. Because of my good habits from curves, I stuck to the gym routine.
Now I don't live near any gym, and have to do it myself more. Have found a few things to help me, like community programs, but the discipline of curves started a new way of exercising for me.

kaygee41
08-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Whole foods/Clean eating, calorie counting, and exercise. For me, it was about changing my lifestyle, and this was the way i felt i could sustain results in the long run. I've only been at it a month or so, but already it's been working for me, and I don't feel deprived of anything.

may77
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I do Calorie counting and use a diet pills, Tengda diet pills it made out of fruits and herbs and such it does help my craving a lot.

getnslim
08-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I did weight watchers off and on for years but I could never stand it for long periods of time. I just started calorie counting and for some reason, I find it liberating! I was used to writing down what I eat and then trying to calculate out how many points per item. Calorie counting is so much easier!

Bluey
08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Cohens - working so far - it is very strict though and no exercise. I have seen alot of people with fantastic results on it. :) im down 3 jeans sizes so far. :) been on it 6 weeks. (with 10 days of "off plan" due to critical health issues with my oldest munchkin)....

KarenBee
08-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Of the 85 lbs I've lost so far, it hasn't been on one plan or program, but on several. My food plan is constantly evolving (like me).

The only constant has been deciding never to give up, and to never allow myself to think that my effort isn't worth it - not even when the weight loss is stalling or I don't like the food plan I'm on (then it's time to change the plan, not give up).

I've also abolished some dieting traditions and rituals I've followed all of my life such as those regarding:

1. Off-plan eating

If you eat something off plan, you have permission - heck you have the obligation to eat as much as you can until you can start fresh tomorrow morning (unless it's Thursday or later, then the rule is to eat as much as possible all weekend in order to start fresh on Monday morning). If the off-plan eating occurs after Thanksgiving - then the rule is to eat as much possible for the rest of the year until January 1.

2. Changing plans

If you decide that the current weight loss plan is not for you, you must take a "vacation" from dieting until you decide which plan is. This extent and length of this vacation at minimum will follow the same rules as off-plan eating above. However to really do it right - you must gain back ALL of the weight you lost on the "wrong" plan. Until you are at your highest weight (you earn extra points if you wait until you weigh at least 10 lbs more than your previous highest weight) before starting the new and improved plan.

3. Exercise

Exercise should always be extremely intense and difficult, or it should not be attempted at all. If when you're done, you don't feel like you're about to drop dead of a stroke or heart attack - you didn't do it right. DO NOT MOVE unless you are willing to exercise at this intensity. If it's fun - you're also not doing it right. As with off-plan eating, when you fail to meet your exercise goals on any day, you must refrain from exercising or any unnecessary movement until the following Monday or January 1 if the plan violation occurs in November (if there is snow on the ground, it is also acceptable to postpone exercising until the first day of Spring or when there is no trace of snow on the grown, whichever is the latter).

Of course those are stupid rituals, but I also know I'm not the only person to have followed them, or similarly destructive ones.

I don't think my food plan is responsible for my success "this time." I think that diets I followed in the past would have been and could have been as successful if it weren't for all of the ways I shot myself in the foot. Most of the habits were those I learned from other people. I saw how dieting "is done" and I followed the role models I had.

Learning to break out of the sterotype was a challenge. Learning to think differently, act differently, BE different. It was harder than I would have ever guessed (being that I had so little trouble being different in other ways).

I absolutely love this post....

dorothy52
08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
There are no miracles out there. We gain weight by eating the wrong items and lack of activity. It does not mean that a person needs to starve themselves. I believe in the more is better program of HMR. I can eat a ton (within reason people) of fruits and vegetables and not gain weight. It is that little bag of chips that has 2000 or more calories (just guessing) and I still feel hungry food that makes me gain my weight. I certainly do not know everything. But when I am eating better I want to be out in public, walking, strutting my stuff. I feel good about me because I am being good to me. I drink the shakes to fill in for those times when I need to feel full, need calories, but do not have the ability to eat sensibly. Last night before going to bed I had a double. TWO HUNDRED MEASLY CALORIES and I was satisfied, take that you SNICKERS BAR.

FattyFatFat
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
There are no miracles out there. We gain weight by eating the wrong items and lack of activity. It does not mean that a person needs to starve themselves. I believe in the more is better program of HMR. I can eat a ton (within reason people) of fruits and vegetables and not gain weight. It is that little bag of chips that has 2000 or more calories (just guessing) and I still feel hungry food that makes me gain my weight. I certainly do not know everything. But when I am eating better I want to be out in public, walking, strutting my stuff. I feel good about me because I am being good to me. I drink the shakes to fill in for those times when I need to feel full, need calories, but do not have the ability to eat sensibly. Last night before going to bed I had a double. TWO HUNDRED MEASLY CALORIES and I was satisfied, take that you SNICKERS BAR.

I love your thoughts on this so much to where I can't do anything but smile. :hug::carrot:

kayethree
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
All of these plans pretty much have the same thing in common - eat less, move more. It is often just a matter of finding foods/eating plans you like. That being said, eliminating food groups or depriving yourself is setting you up for failure. Count calories, measure food, and work out for long term (free!) success.

walking2lose
09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Primal Blueprint lifestyle - good quality meats (grass fed), eggs, lots of organic vegetables and some fruit, healthy fats, seeds and nuts here and there, exercise and activity, good sleep, some sunshine when I can, and some play and balance in life.

No grains or sugars.

I adhere as closely as I can, I've lost weight, and I feel really good.

popspry
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Counting calories with a Mediterranean diet flair. I eat fish at least 2x a week, red meat once a week or less, have a minimum of 3 no-meat days a week, and make room for olive oil or nuts (or both) daily. Slow but steady progress, which is fine by me.