Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default Flabby under arm wings

I'm 65 and have flabby under arm issues, I was 40 pounds heavier a few years ago and successfully kept most of it off. I jump up and down the scale like a yoyo. When my weight jumps up to 5-7 pounds, I get back into my 1200 calories schedule and take it off. My arms appear very slim but my problem is wobbly, sagging, ugly wings under my arms. I googled exercises to pin-point that area and have been doing about 100 a day for the last 2 months. It doesn't work!
Do any of you have some good advice on what I should do? Any of you have issues with this? I know I have my age working against me, my skin sags all over. My boobs? lets not go there!
Seriously, I would appreciate input on this area. Have any of you toned up the sagging skin, how did you do it, how long did it take?
What types of exercises did you do?
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #2  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

I have found that doing tricep curls with 5-lb (or whatever you are comfortable with) dumbbells has really worked for me. I'm not sure if that is the exercise you were talking about, though. Congrats on your 40 lb loss and keeping it off!
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #3  
Bobbi

Bama girl...I see you're very young and your skin still has the youthful elasticity, congrats on the weight loss. So glad to see young people taking it off and living a healthier lifestyle. Gravity has taken a toll on me.
I do about 50 countertop push-ups (can't do these on the floor because of bad back)
25 curls, yes I use 5 lb. weights too
25 over my head with wts. straight up, then bend arms over my back/shoulders with 5 lb. wts.
I try to mix it up but I'm not seeing any results after two months. Should I try doing more?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #4  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Hi there, fellow Minnesotan! Congrat on your weight loss & maintenance!!

The below link is totally an advertisement, but I found some interesting pieces of advice in there. I am not in any way promoting the product (in fact, I know nothing about it!), but read through the intro & see if anything clicks.

http://www.sleevelessin7.com/arm-fat-a/

Here is one other one that had some good suggestions:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Lose-...val-of-Arm-Fat

I hope something in here resonates with you. I, too, battle the under-arm-wings. Waving goodbye isn't pretty...I'm not loving the built-in fans!!

Cheryl
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #5  
Bobbi

Thanks Cheryl...I can take the weight off very easily but keeping it off is where I get into trouble.
Quote:
Hi there, fellow Minnesotan! Congrat on your weight loss & maintenance!!

The first web site said I should break a sweat when I exercise, I never do that? I don't sweat very easily, even in our humid Minnesota weather! They also said to only do an exercise for two weeks, then switch to another one. I mix them up so don't know if I should change my routine, maybe I should.
The second web site with the videos is great, I added it to my favorites and will look at all the video's tomorrow. It's getting late and I go to bed early... Thank you so much for posting these, I'll let ya know if I find something that really works. I have very thin arms and I think everything inside of me is shrinking.
I think surgery is the answer and I don't have that kind of vanity money. If I can't tone them up with exercise, I just have to continue wearing sleeved tops.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

Another thing I've read about is skin brushing, the idea is that it helps your skin slough off dead skin cells and renew more quicker, to encourage a greater skin elasticity.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #7  
I hate humidity!

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: wee bit under 5'4

In addition to weight training, you might also want to try pilates or callanetics. In the past, I have done these exercises with great results in firming up all the problem areas. And they work for people of all ages and weights. I'm only starting yoga but I assume it can also produce the same results.
Caela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lift heavier weights. Can you do 10 lb curls? Can your back handle tricep dips on a chair? If you can do 25 reps in a row, its probably too light a weight for you...I always try to find the right weight to have to struggle to complete my 10th rep.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #9  
Bobbi

I just tried my hubby's 10# weights and did 25 curls with them but I cheated. I had to rest the back of my arms on my chest, does that count? My five # weight are easy to do curls but not when I do over-my-head curls. It hurts a tad in my shoulders.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #10  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Bobbi, hi from a former Minnesotan... I have always had heavy arms. Genetics from maternal grandmother and being fat for most of my life. There is a point where you won't lose or tone your arms. They will be there.

Mine after weight loss were bones, muscles and TONS of skin. I chose to have bracchioplasty (arm lift) to make that skin get the heck off. Now I see pretty triceps and biceps. I also have nasty scars from my armpit to my elbow. I'm told that they will fade after a year. So... 5 months to go.

Which is better - the scars or the skin? For me, the scars. The gross crepe-skin hanging around my elbow was so yucky. And clothes the right side still didn't fit right because of my arms. I had to buy bigger tops to accommodate the arms. Now I have cute arms. And the scar, I earned it.

If I were in your place I'd go to a plastic surgeon for a consult. Most are free. They will tell you whether you can exercise the arms into shape.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #11  
Bobbi

Thanks Marie......I've come to that conclusion from the other posts on this thread. I would go for the surgery if I were younger and still working, unfortunately DH and I are both retired and living on social security. I've noticed small muscles and much more strength in my arms since lifting weights but the saggy skin is there to stay. We live out in the country and I wear sleeveless tops at home but change into something with sleeves when going into town. I can see how someone that was heavier have excessive skin but my arms were never heavy. I think the saggy skin came from 'too late arm exercises' and also from my skelton/bones shrinking from old age. Let that be a wake up call for you younger gals, DON'T STOP EXERCISING YOUR ARMS! I keep my 5# weights at my computer desk and get in some reps while reading emails, recipes, etc.
It's sunny and warm here today, I have a 12 bushes to trim so I better hop to it.
Thanks everyone for your input!