Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Looking for other protein challenged people!

I am what I call protein challenged, I dislike meat, eggs etc. They are just my last choice when I'm looking for something to eat, I much prefer vegetarian versions and love eating pasta, veggies, fruit in huge quantities. I also don't mind crisps, chips, pizza etc. sadly also in huge quantities.

The problem is not only that I get in only a tiny amount of protein, but that I eat a lot less when I include eg meat. As my problem is more volume then what I eat, it would halp a lot if I ate meat more often.

I'm hoping there are other people out there who have this problem, I know it's not common, but 3FC has a lot of people. Maybe we could support each other.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Quillie - I am sure there are many other 'protein challenged' folks here at 3fc. While I like always liked carbs - I am learning to love veggies and protein in different forms, too.

Did you know there's a vegetarian forum here too. You might look there too. The more people the better.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/

Carry on!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-19-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You didn't mention fish or poultry. Is that also something you dislike?
Those are both great sources of protein and very healthy. How about soy products and tofu, beans, low fat dairy products - such as cottage cheese and yogurt?

I really suggest you do some experimenting. There are oodles of delicious ways to incorporate these foods into your life. Give um a try, expand your horizons.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I consider myself protein challenged even though I love all the things you mentioned. For some reason though my carbs are almost always double my protein. If I can get over 20% protein daily I am happy, but most days it seems I am under 20%.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/155?

Height: 5'7''

Default Protein challenged here!

I am very much like you! Even as a kid, I hated eating meat. I am not a vegetarian, but I may as well be. I eat meat maybe once a week, and it is almost always chicken. I occasionally have a tuna fish sandwich. Other than that, I chow down on fruit. I mean some days I eat an entire container of strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and raspberries. I just don't really like meat. I should eat more, and I like tofu okay, but never eat it. I can't stand yogurt, and peanut butter is all right, but I rarely eat it. My meeting leader wants me to start eating more peanut butter because I am under points daily (like 10-14 points under my goal of 32) and it has protein, which I am sorely lacking in my diet. Thanks for starting this thread, I am interested in what others have to say.
BeTrueToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #6  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'2"

Default Note from a low-carb person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Hi Quillie - I am sure there are many other 'protein challenged' folks here at 3fc. While I like always liked carbs - I am learning to love veggies and protein in different forms.

Did you know there's a vegetarian forum here too. You might look there too. The more people the better.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/

Carry on!
Just ran across your post - very interesting. I am a carb-lover (no aversion to meat, however). I'm glad to see that there are people losing weight without so much protein and still being healthy. I finally gave up my balanced diet to a high (whey) protein diet and I'm finally losing weight. The key is that I am not hungry. With carbs I can eat all the time - always always hungry! Philosophically I believe in eating lower on the food chain, high fiber, however I'm sacrificing now so I can get my weight down.

Bravo to you all for sticking with 20% kcal protein daily - that's all our bodies really need, and much better for the planet!
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Currently, I eat no grains and I only eat meat about once a week. I do use whey protein powder in a smoothie every morning, I throw some edamame on my salads, I eat cottage cheese with sugar free jelly each evening, I have veggie burgers for dinner. I feel like a million bucks! A friend has shared with me that research shows we actually need much less protein than the current media would have us believe. Serious athletes need to eat a lot of protein.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote