Old 06-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #1  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Interesting health benefits...

I've been on the Ideal Protein diet now for a month, and lost 24.2 pounds overall.

I just recently went to my pulmonologist (I have a history of sarcoidosis), and did breathing tests. I have been doing these tests for the last 3 years. At first, the were very low, but improved on steroids to "almost normal" levels. Off steroids, they dropped again, but since I was not having difficulty breathing, we didn't restart them.

The first week, I ate the variety of things I was told (their preset menu), with only a few exchanged because of food preferences. Second week, I tailored it more to me, but decided to try to stick to the lowest carb things... which also 1) most have sucralose, but 2) are all gluten free.

Went to the doc, did the tests... and came out way, WAY better than ever before. From 87% max ability to 98%(!), and from 67% to 85% in the other (forgotten) important measure. He was totally amazed. I asked him if my diet could be helping. He thought I didn't weigh enough to affect my breathing. I explained that I was wondering if cutting dairy/gluten/alcohol/etc could account for it... he was unsure.

But I also had some arthritic nodules starting on my knuckles... and they're gone!

Anyone else have any health problem turn around on this diet?
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

That is so amazing! Congratulations!!
My husband had a sarcoidosis scare a few years back and the doctors finally decided that was not the case. It was kinda scary. I am so happy for you to have this imporvement!
I do not have anything that I can think of right now personally, but know many others have written about their blood work coming back better than ever and some have been able to decrease certain medications. How great is it we can look better, feel better plus get healthier on this amazing plan!!
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #3  

I am a migraine sufferer who takes preventive prescription meds every day. Before IP, I would still get a few migraines a month. Since IP, I have only had one...and it was on Day 2 when my body was adjusting to the reduced diet.
Sweetstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on IP, but I have found that reducing carbs, drastically improves my pain and autoimmune issues (I also have an AI disease that might be sarcoidosis affecting my lungs, skin and sinuses. I've been in at least partial remission since reducing carbs). I didn't discover the connection entirelyon my own, I started reading books that suggested that no-grain, low-grain and low-carb diets help reduce inflammation and autoimmune diseases, and decided it couldn't hurt. I was shocked at the dramtic improvement. For the past several years, I was having asthma attacks and bronchitis almost consantly, and pneumonia about once a year. Since reducing carbs, I haven't had a serious lung infection or severe asthma attack in over a year. I'm on no daily asthma or allergy medication (during allergy season, I had to use my inhaler once and allergy meds maybe for 10 days, but really not more than 3 or 4 days in a row).

In reading ancestor diet books (like neanderthin, paleo diet, primal blueprint....), autoimmune disease and diet books, anti-grain books, inflammation books, and low-carb diet books - I found so many of them talking about the link between autoimmune and inflammatory diseases and carbs/grains, it's really what inspired me to give carb reduction a tru. There's so much research linking them, it's surprising that reducing simple carbs and grains isn't more mainstream medical advice.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Prior to starting IP I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, now that I have lost over 20 pounds my blood pressure has returned to normal
Vicjul is offline   Reply With Quote