Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default What is the best part of life since surgery?????

I just had a lovely rant to release stress on another post and since i dont like leaving it out there alone I figured I should put a positive one out there as well.

What is the BEST part of life since surgery???
Who is the person or persons that have been most supportive?
Have people generally acted positively to your changes?
What is the best compliment you have gotten?
have you gotten any great new clothes at all? What?

The best part is that I KNOW I am going to get better and even though it is scary and hard at times I love getting/making new clothes and I love it when my bf says "you really are walking a lot better (or faster) these days" and I realize I am.

My Boyfriend Alex, my Mom and my Grandma have been my support system but then so have my friends both on line and in town, I get so much support and caring from them, it is sometimes tempting to tell myself they are only approving cause i am losing weight but then I remember they just care for me and worry about my health.
My family has bent over backwards to help me and Alex is pretty much everything I could want

People have been so positive about how I am changing and they tell me all the time they can see the difference and I am still beautiful to them. The funny ones are the ones who act all nervous about saying anything or say "you look like you lost a little weight"...LOL

I think the best compliment is just the general support I get but a fun one is "it is amazing to watch you change, everytime I see you you look different"

I lucked out in Early spring and got in on a sale at Walmart for tops from JMS and I bought 14 of them for $65 (they were between $3 and $7) so I got them from 4X to 2X and stocked up, it is soooooo much fun now that I can wear Most of the 3X stuff when I was wearing 4x and 5x last year. I have also been making skirts and fixing up older clothes. There is very little in the JMS stuff i like this summer but I keep an eye on sales, also now I am getting to a size where i can get some of the cool t-shirts I want from on line.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I can climb a flight of stairs without being out of breath at the top.

I can buy clothes in the regular Misses department instead of plus sizes (although I'm about a 16 misses, so I can still snag some good deals in plus size 14 from clearance racks at stores like Avenue).

Because I've become so educated and proactive about my labs and supplements, I'm probably healthier overall than ever before, and I'm probably healthier than the typical healthy-weight American! Heck, if nothing else, I'm at least not low in Vit D like 60%+ of Americans.

I will admit I believe I've stumbled upon a bit of a cross-addiction, and it's called SHOPPING. I've never enjoyed shopping so much - in fact, I distinctly remember multiple bouts of crying in dressing rooms when nothing I tried on would fit because everything was too small. Now, I can buy things without even trying them on and know they will fit, and, should I choose to return them, it will simply be because the style doesn't look good enough on me! After all, I've become pickier about my wardrobe; I no longer "settle" for things just because they fit or because I'm frustrated that I can't find something I really like/want. Of course, all of that said, I am still quite cheap, and purchasing a single item of clothing for more than $20 is VERY rare for me.

I've gotten multiple comments about how "good" and "healthy" I look, as if they expected me to look sickly after the surgery. I will say I know where they're coming from because I have met some WLS post-ops who do have dull skin and/or thin or brittle-looking hair even years after surgery. I believe it's my close watch on my labs and supplements that will help me in that department.

I weigh less now than I did throughout most of high school. WOW. I was more than 200 pounds when I entered high school, and I'm now just fighting a few pounds to get below 200. I actually WISH I could go to my high school reunion this year (why are they having it Thanksgiving weekend?!).

I have met some very awesome people in online communities and in person. I meet with local WLS patients for a support group once a month, and I meet with local area DSers about once a month as a social gathering for lunch or dinner or a potluck or shopping.

I wear BELTS. Not only did I never have to before, but I also had a hard time finding them large enough to go around my waist. Now, I use them as an accessory to certain outfits. I even bought this new long faux pearl necklace, and, just to see if I could, I slipped it down around my waist. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I could wear my necklace as a belt if I so choose (which I wouldn't but I COULD).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Everyone I know has been super supportive of my surgery. My work was awesome, they even let me work from home right after. My husband has been terrific

I shop at thrift stores ALOT because my size changes so often. I am now in a size 16, which is kinda awesome btw lol, and I love being able to buy cute things. I still never pay full price for anything because I don't know what size I will settle on.One thing I love is I got a pare of boots that go up above my calf AND I CAN ZIP THEM UP! lol i almost cried.
I am always getting compliments and, OMG you are getting so skinny type of comments, and its alot of fun to get them.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #4  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

[QUOTE=Duckslove;3348002]One thing I love is I got a pare of boots that go up above my calf AND I CAN ZIP THEM UP! lol i almost cried.
[QUOTE]

OMG I WANT BOOTS!!!!!! not ankle boots but a real pair, maybe even a pair of old fashion riding boots, right now I can't even wear Lane Bryant style boots, at the height of my weight my calves were 24 in around. I think monday I will go to grandmas and have her measure me
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

yeah I love that I can wear boots. I want a pair of black leather buckle boots but I am waiting to get them. One thing I did not expect was to lose shoe sizes, but I have gone down from a 10 to a 9 - 8.5, so I don't want to buy any expensive boots until i know i will be able to wear them forever.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Spooky You are doing well. Keep up the good work!!
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Best thing since my WLS surgery......I'm ALIVE and can better manage my PAIN!!! I can walk, take care of myself, bend over, swim, take care of my house, grandkids and DH. I can work again. I can just go out to the mailbox and make it back. Mow the yard, work in the garden, wear normal clothes, shoes and rings. Eat and not be stuffed and sick. My belts are not up under my boobs; I actually have a waist (no boobs!!!). I can ride my bike. Go camping.....the list goes on. I believe that every person has an appointed time to die.....well, I probably be getting there are some point, but I'm going healthier and having a lot more fun. I'm ALIVE, sure more than I ever thought how my life was going to be; have such a greater quality of life than I have had in the last 30 years.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote