Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #1  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Default Dieting is messing with my TOM.

I am not doing severe low calorie or anything such as that. Just a normal healthy calorie range for me right NOW (1200-1800/day) but I am having issues with TOM.

I know we hold excess estrogen in our fat cells and guess I could be dealing with estrogen dominance as I free up fat (yeah!) and some of the hormone with it and this could be the cause (late, early, missed here and there over the last 4 months).

I am 46 and have been told by my Dr. I am not peri yet. Does anyone else have TOM issues like this when dieting?
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #2  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

I'm quite a bit younger than you but I've been dealing with the same thing. I'm ready to make an appt with my doctor once I get mine this month..
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/230/?

Height: 5'5"

I actually had TOM issues BEFORE I started dieting which were cured by eating properly. I had never ever been regular until I gave up my high carb lifestyle, even after having four babies, but once I started eating right and exercising I became like clockwork. What you eat definitely affects your hormones.

Another thing that could be affecting your hormones, though, is if you have teenaged girls in your house? You could be having a pheremone(sp?) battle for dominance going on.
frog princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #4  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Good Morning!

Frog Princess, it's so excellent that you are getting your TOM regular! It does make life easier. It also makes you know you are doing something very good for your body and your hormones.

I am not concerned about it really, just a little irritated! Life is good in general so I can certainly deal with this.

No teenagers in the house for me though that is an interesting idea.. I have read about that. OMG.. teenagers. How do parents do it?

Last edited by Runundefined; 06-17-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Yes, I had the same issues whilst losing even with a progestrone implant. Even when I was maintaining I still got the same issues for 2 or 3 months However for the last 5 months I've had no bleeding whatsoever (yeah!) which is what should happen with the implant. BTW I'm also 46.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Like frog princess, I had TOM issues before. My periods started becoming irregular at age 19. When I was at my heaviest weight, I stopped having periods for 9 months. The doctor joked, "Guess you're not pregnant."

I think I have PCOS, but am not taking medication for it. I'm using diet and exercise. I lost 20 pounds and got very regular. Unfortunately, TOM became more painful and much heavier.

Then I lost 20 more pounds and my cycle changed again. I skipped TOM one month, but then it started again. I'm grateful for the change though. My flow is much lighter and no more cramping. I hope it stays that way, but I doubt it will.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 272/254/130

Height: 5'0

Hi All Like some other posters, My TOM issues occur when I am not dieting nor exercising. I can easily go 9 months or longer without a period. It seems like every time I diet/exercise, after about 10-15 pounds I will then get my period. It will stay "somewhat" regular until I start gaining weight again. I have just recently gotten a GoWearFit (very similar to a Body Bugg) and the first week I had a weight loss as it said I should have, but this week, while it says I should be down 1.5 lbs, I am actually up 3 pounds. I am hoping that even though I have not lost very much weight, I am hoping the weight gain is TOM related (or, LOL, in my case TOY!! hhaha) I have cut down on my food intact somewhat, but have started walking/exercising which is something that unfortunately I was very bad about doing. I am hoping the increased exercise is kicking it into gear. My breasts feel a little tender, which for me is an indicator of TOM, but I'm also not sure if it is just in my head as a reason to explain the weight gain. I know for a fact I have not eaten enough to gain 3 lbs in the last week. I track all my calories and it is impossible, therefore other than some other reason for water retention, I am hoping it is TOM.
FloridaGirl1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #8  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hi Ladies, I'd like to jump in here. I'm 44 and this is the first month of my new journey. I have always been a 5 to 7 day'er, mostly 7 day. My time of the month comes when it wants, I have always been irregular. This month I had a 3 day. I have no idea why. It has never happened to me before. I count calories and walk almost everyday.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote