Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default I stumbled upon an awesome book!

Let me give you a brief rundown on why I started looking for an answer..... Like a lot of adults I have been on and off antidepressants most of my adult life. I feel better or don't like the side effect and I wean or quit them. Well, I have been without them for a little bit.... but my 20 year old son deployed in April. This sent me into a tail spin. So, here I am grasping for something and I took that antidepressant road again. While it helped, I am also stuck with the side effect (TMI) of NO libido. So, I started researching and I found that my brain (as is the case with a lot of others) lacks serotonin. So, I started researching that. I found a book called "Potatoes not Prozac" and now a lot of it makes sense. I am the child of an alcoholic and it links that with my sugar sensitivity, which in turn makes me go into mood swings, and so on.

So, I am 1/2 way through the book and I have had an "ah ha" moment. While the book is marked as a WL book, and I do want to lose the 9 pounds I gained with deployment..... it is more about getting myself back to "normal" with a bonus of WL. So, I am addressing the depression issues first.

If you are searching for a book that will help you feel better, even though I am not all the way through it..... I would suggest it. Especially if you are an alcoholic or are a family member of one.

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thanks for the tip. I am the daughter of two lifetime alcoholics--well, they actually quit drinking in my 20's. I have also been on antidepressants. I know now though, no pill can make me feel as good as exercise, sunshine and whole foods. I have not heard of this book but I am going to check it out. Thanks.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #3  

I read this book a while ago and agree that it makes a lot of sense. It is then that I started my journey to avoid sugar and simple carbs. Also have an alcoholic grandfather.
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/146/135

Height: 5"1"

Tammy, thanks for posting this book. I had an alcoholic grandfather and grandmother. I agree sometimes it's about getting yourself "normal" and then dealing with the WL.

I also agree with Thighs Be Gone, no pill has ever made me feel as good as exercise, sunshine and whole foods. Do you find when you're stressed you crave junk food and that it just ends up making you feel more stressed and sick?

I'm off to see if my local library can find this book for me somewhere in my state or would consider getting it.
bliss~
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #5  
Amazing will be me

Very Interesting , i hav alcoholism in my family.

I have suffered depression in past and suppose to a degree still do from time to time , it will never go away ive just learned how to recognise when its coming on and try and prevent it.

I understand about the libido , i was on fluxotine last year , and when i started feelin better and in the "MOOD " again ..........total....NOTHING whas like my neather regions had went numb lol.............i soon decided to give them up and i managed without them..........and it came straight back.
So they deff havethat side effect which ISNT GOOD
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #6  

Bliss, I absolutely do find that when I stress..... I eat junk.... and it is a cycle. That is why I read so much, trying to break that cycle.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/217.2/150

Height: 5'6

I am currently on Lexapro and am newly married. I can say the Lexapro is doing nothing for our 'honeymoon' stage. But at the same time I know I need to take it. I've tried going off before and I become a different person. I have done some research myself and read that Omega 3 and complex B vitamins help with brain health. I have not however felt enough of a difference to stop the Lexapro again. I'm almost scared.
I'm going to check this book out and see if it helps.
Thanks

BTW...I'm new to the site and I think I'm really going to love it.
thisis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

thisis,

for me it was a combination of whole foods, regular sunshine, fish oil supplements and regular exercise sustained for several weeks before I began feeling better...I would say probably 3-4 weeks...once I did it consistently and regularly I felt a dramatic change..
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #9  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

New here, so glad to read these posts. Years and years of antidepressants, was finally told they don't work more than three years without serious therapy so I have stayed off them for about three years (got suicidal on the last one). Looking forward to reading the book mentioned, alcoholic father, crazy mother, you probably know the drill.
gonnadoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #10  

I have not gotten past step 2 in the book, which is journaling. I am still on Effoxor, but I took my last pill last night. I am hoping the withdrawls won't be too brutal since I have only been on it a week.

This, I am a newlywed too and nothing I have taken has done any good for the honeymoon stage. I have an understanding husband.... but you know, I feel I am cheating him. So, I am going to go natural and try the book recommendations, as well as thighsbegone's. I am going to try to get more outside time. I tend to want to be a hermit when I am depressed.... I am sure this only fuels it.

Gonna, I do know the drill.... all too well! Lol.

Hang in there gals..... we are gonna make it.

Tammy
Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200.8/200.8/165

Height: 5' 2"

Hm. I may have to look this one up, too. I have a major sugar sensitivity that links to an abnormal insulin response and the fun weight gain that goes with it. Also the daughter of an alcoholic (and the grandaughter, niece, sister, etc. of alcoholics...).

Thanks for the info!
MrsKJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #12  

Thanks for posting I think I'll check this book out too!!
ddpmkrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #13  

I just went to the library yesterday and while I couldn't find Potatoes Not Prozac, I came across another book by the same author called the "Your Last Diet." From what I've read so far I am very impressed!! I feel like my weight issues are definitely tied to my sugar craving, and I am so excited to delve further into this book!! Thanks for this post Lady Rider!!

Last edited by ddpmkrupa; 08-16-2010 at 10:25 AM.
ddpmkrupa is offline   Reply With Quote