Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #1  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Default Some advice needed for the next five weeks....

Okay, everyone. I'm going to be AFK for a few weeks because I'm going to sleepaway camp for my last summer. The only problem I see is going to be the eating a bit. In addition to sports for a majority of my day, I'm going to be running every morning. Do you think that, since the camp already said they'd be okay with dietary needs and such, that I bring up my own stock of apples, fiber cereal, bars, etc? I mean, take a look at this meal schedule. It's like they try to get us to gain...

Breakfast
Lunch
Ice Cream Snack
Dinner
Cookie Patrol Snack

And every Sunday, we have canteen. Those 3 pieces of candy are a whole day of food for me!!! So I'm probably not having canteen, having dessert on my own time (apple or fiber bar or 60-calorie pudding) when everyone else is having cookie patrol, not drinking the soda, cutting a lot of the carbs, and not having the ice cream. Plus, no pasta. Sorry about being so winded; good idea, yes or no? And I will stick to it; the camp owners are family friends of mine, so they're letting me do a quiet weigh-in every Sunday.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Why in the world would anyone need both ice cream and cookies every day? I could understand a once a day treat, as the camp itself is obviously supposed to be fun, not deprivation. But still.... Anyway.

I think you've got a good plan going on. I think one of the most important things for you to do is keep track of your portions. Since you probably won't be able to calorie count or get specific nutrional information, limiting the amount of food you eat may be the only thing you can control. If they heap 2 pounds worth of meatloaf on your plate, you know to only eat a portion of it.

But with as active as you will be, I don't think you have to worry about it too much. Have fun!
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #3  
Graceful Loser

I'm not really understanding all the snackage, either. Ice-cream, cookies, and candy?

I'm sure you'll be fine, though. Your plan sounds reasonable and doable, just stick to it!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Absolutely- call ahead to confirm that you can bring your own food! You're doing too well to let something like this cause to to backtrack.

Take all the fruit and healthy snacks with you that you're allowed and do your best to resist the icecream, cookies and candy bars. Each time someone offers you a treat like that think about this question in your head:
"Which do I want more: this candy bar or to see weight loss on the scale?" Throwing that simple statement out there like that helps me a lot when I'm tempted to eat things I shouldn't be eating.

Having a small treat every once in a while is fine- just don't get carried away. Especially if you're running and exercising a lot, you can enjoy some icecream, etc. now and then, just remember to control your portions and stick to your plan. Try to look at this camp like an opportunity to concentrate on your eating plan and exercise, not as a vacation from your plan.

Good luck!!
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

You've come so far and it sounds like you will be active at this camp that you should be able to burn off the calories.

Make sure you stay hydrated well in the heat for the outdoor sports.

What kind of camp are you going to - I am surprised at that meal plan.

My son is off to a sports training camp in a couple weeks and this is what they have for their meal plan info:

" food is served family style for breakfast and lunch, The typical daily diet adds up to about 4,000 calories and includes such dishes as steak, spiced shrimp, Mexican cuisine and home-baked pastries. All of the food for the 12,000 meals served daily is prepared by our food service staff in the kitchens adjacent to King Hall."

This is for a very intense athletic camp for highschool boys. The workouts they do will require them to consume that higher level of calories. And they also can bring their own snacks if they want to and they have a camp store that I'm sure will sell junk food.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

IME what you will really need to watch is "portion creep": one more roll, one more scoop of potatoes, whatever. This is why one week vacations are usually ok--if you've been on plan for a year, even if you are eating high-calorie things, your sense of a "portion" is pretty good. But after a week, portion sizes start creeping up: this is why people come home from vacations, amazed they haven't gained, loosen up their daily plans and bang, 6 weeks later they have gained ten pounds.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

KIDDO you are going to be just fine!

You already know what you need to do and you already have your plan to accomplish it.

With all the "traps" set you may hit a bump in the road...but knowing you I am sure you will run right by most of them!

Have a great time...gonna miss you...and what an awesome chance to show the other kids some good habits!

Rock and Run On!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote