Veggie Challenged - HELP!! Spaghetti Squash Delivered!

EZMONEY
06-15-2010, 08:06 PM
OK GALS ~ A while back I made a dish using spaghetti squash....I think I even posted pictures of it here...can't find the recipe...

so...

what do you do with spaghetti squash?

Angie bought one today at the produce market and wants me to make it...

I am lost....;)

Glory87
06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I cut in half, long-ways. Scoop out the innards (seeds). Face down, in about 1 inch of water in a big glass pan. Cover tightly with saran wrap, nuke for 14 minutes (my microwave is pretty wimpy, adjust accordingly). Fork out in strands. Top with pasta sauce. Mmmm.

EZMONEY
06-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Glory!

bacilli
06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
I top mine with black beans, lime juice, and cumin. But I'll eat just about anything if it's got black beans, lime juice, and cumin!

Here's your post that I've been meaning to modify and try, from your last spaghetti squash experiment:

EZ Cooks Veggie - Lives (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/186597-ez-cooks-veggie-lives.html)

EZMONEY
06-16-2010, 09:01 AM
THAT'S IT! Thanks so much!!! BACILLI...I thought I posted it....

and now I remember...thanks to the pictures...the recipe was in a book on the shelf and not in my recipe notebook...no wonder I couldn't find it!

My memory is such a distant....what?...what?....

spaghetticat
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Im no help I just stab it with a knife several times and microwave it.. I think for like 15 mins and use it as pasta omnomnom!

PeanutsMom704
06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I nuke it for about 8-9 minutes and then let it cool, but that makes it soft enough to easily cut in half and scoop out all the seeds. Then I bake it for about 45 minutes. I like the texture and flavor a lot more when it's baked - it starts to caramelize a bit and get the natural sweetness. I top with spaghetti sauce with meat. Yum, yum, yum! (ok, now I'm going to have to stop at the market on the way home and see if they have one! lol!

happeningf
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, brush with olive oil, and put cut sides down on a cookie sheet and bake.

They carmelize amazingly.

During that, I put 1 tbs of olive oil in a pan and crisp up tons of garlic and at the end, throw in a pinch of chili flakes and 1/2 to 1 tbs of parm cheese.

Then I fork out the squash and mix all together. AMAZING. But you have to love garlic :)

EZMONEY
06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
AWESOME thanks so much gals!

and we love-love garlic too!

K8-EEE
06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
I found the best way to make moist, delicious spaghetti squash is to buy one that will fit in your crock pot, poke holes in it with a fork and stick it in there in the morning on "low" with a cup of water and voila....it will come out moist and not overcooked. It will also cut in half really easily, then just take the squash out with a fork. Then I saute some onion, garlic, and spinach in a little olive oil, toss the squash in and top with tomato sauce. It's really yummy!

EZMONEY
06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I may end up spaghetti squash a lot more with these recipes!

Thanks ladies...you are the best!

NatalieA
07-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Just cooked my first one tonight. I need to find a good spaghetti sauce recipe I can have.... I never thought to put garlic over it mmmmm.

duckchick
07-16-2010, 12:50 AM
I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, brush with olive oil, and put cut sides down on a cookie sheet and bake.

They carmelize amazingly.

During that, I put 1 tbs of olive oil in a pan and crisp up tons of garlic and at the end, throw in a pinch of chili flakes and 1/2 to 1 tbs of parm cheese.

Then I fork out the squash and mix all together. AMAZING. But you have to love garlic :)

This is pretty much what I do, except I use feta cheese and just sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. DELICIOUS!!

CeCeSugar
07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow, all of these ideas sound yummy! I will have to try one soon :)

luckymommy
07-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Glory, your idea is great but I really recommend not using plastic wrap in the microwave. It's very bad, as far as I know. I wish you all the best.

pinkflower
07-30-2010, 03:19 PM
mmmm. My mom used to make spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti noodles. I'm going to have to buy one and try it with the olive oil/garlic and spaghetti sauce. I think even my picky dh would eat that with enough garlic!

Shannon in ATL
07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Ooo. I want to try your recipe Gary, but I'll have to leave out the black beans. Wonder what I could put in instead, that isn't a bean...

Hmm...

Looks great!

EZMONEY
07-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Ooo. I want to try your recipe Gary, but I'll have to leave out the black beans. Wonder what I could put in instead, that isn't a bean...

Hmm...

Looks great!

Here ya go SHANNON :)

Southwest Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
1 can (about 14 oz) Mexican-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (about 14 oz) black beans, rinced and drained
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in greesed backing pan. Bake 45 minutes to an hour or until just tender. Using fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from hot squash and place strands in large bowl. (Use oven mitts to protect hands).

2. Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and pepper, toss well.

3. Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon mixture into casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

4. Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.

Serve immediately.

Onederchic
08-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks EZ!!!!

Oh_Canada
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I just made an amazing supper... it is "pasta"...... well it taste like it..

pre-heat oven 375,poke holes in squash (i do one on each side,then cook it for one hour..... WHEN it is done.... cut it lenghtwise in half then use a fork and take out all the seeds and pulp. NOW with the fork... start at the top and pull back towards you and you will see it starts to look like spaghetti. cont. doing this till all is pulled and shell is empty,I then dump it all into a LARGE frying fan/Wok. with EVOO & Mrs. Dash & a little bit a salt. turn it on simmer...
in next pan I saute onions peppers, mushrooms,asparagus,tomatoes, and any veggies you want.... omg... it tasted just like a pasta dish.... so yummy.
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

foodmasochist
11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
i am about to try making my first one. i am so not a cook :( But, since i am the only one who will probably eat it i'll just give it a shot!!! With enough garlic, how bad can anything be?!

-fm

Serval87
11-22-2010, 02:38 AM
I just recently tried spaghetti squash and was thrilled with the results. It's not only easy to prepare and delicious, but the leftovers lasted like four days in my fridge! I think next time I will saute the leftovers with garlic and butter and serve it with salmon. :)

Serval87
11-22-2010, 02:39 AM
I just made an amazing supper... it is "pasta"...... well it taste like it..

pre-heat oven 375,poke holes in squash (i do one on each side,then cook it for one hour..... WHEN it is done.... cut it lenghtwise in half then use a fork and take out all the seeds and pulp. NOW with the fork... start at the top and pull back towards you and you will see it starts to look like spaghetti. cont. doing this till all is pulled and shell is empty,I then dump it all into a LARGE frying fan/Wok. with EVOO & Mrs. Dash & a little bit a salt. turn it on simmer...
in next pan I saute onions peppers, mushrooms,asparagus,tomatoes, and any veggies you want.... omg... it tasted just like a pasta dish.... so yummy.
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

That sounds amazing!

BuxomPrincess
11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
WW has a FABULOUS Spaghetti Squash Marinara Recipe. Essentially you cut a spaghetti squash in half, take out seeds and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. While that's cooking make a healthy 'sauce' to your liking. After squash is done baking, let cool for about 10 minutes then just start scraping out the insides. I've been afraid of this forever but decided to give it a whirl.....OMG, it is fabulous. Don't let the look of it deceive you. The squash is so crunchy.

Actually I just made it for lunch today and even put some ground turkey and an entire onion in the sauce. You really can't go wrong!

Don't be afraid and ENJOY!!!

P.S. I HATE to cook....this is soooooo easy!!

lazylioness
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I put Olive Oil and herbs on it, turn it upside down and roast away for about an hour.

yummy

foodmasochist
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Perhaps this deserves it's own thread, but roast the seeds out of squash's and it is PHENOMENAL, better than pumpkin seeds. i have done this for acorn squash, organic spaghetti squash and regular spaghetti squash and it's been GREAT each time.

i wash them, springle them with sea salt and garlic powder, put on a pam'd cookie sheet and bake at 350 until done as you like, i like them very brown.

-fm

KellBell135
12-29-2010, 12:37 AM
These all sound great. I haven't tries the spaghetti squash yet. I am looking forward to it though!

Initiative
12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
My grandpa has made spaghetti squash before but when he cooked the insides he mixed everything together with spaghetti noodles and put it back in the squash shell and baked it or something... I didn't eat it personally but there are probably a lot of ways to make it delicious.