Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default The Last 3 Days

Wow. The last three days have been hard. My MIL is in town visiting and all we have been doing is eating/eating out.

Saturday we had Sonic - I ate just a Grilled Cheese sandwich and a diet cherry limeade. Saturday night we went to KFC - I ate a Double Down and mashed potatoes with no gravy. Then we went to the movies- I had NOTHING. I skipped breakfast that morning because we were busy and I forgot. The only thing I had after the movies was 2 cups of watermelon in the evening.

Sunday she made Bruschetta- the bread with garlic butter toasted on it was the worst part, except for the olive oil mixed in with all the essentially no/low calorie bruschetta topping - had about 6 pieces. DH made salsa with stuff from our garden, but I ate that with some Ultra Thin Organic tortilla chips made with Sea Salt - probably at least 2 servings (1 serving was 15 chips). I also had about 6 black olives and some laughing cow cheeses- 3 I think. I had normal breakfast Sunday morning. Dinner was the worst- we BBQ'd I had a Cheeseburger, 1 ear of corn, potato wedges baked but they had olive oil and season salt on them.

Today I had a normal breakfast, 1 scoop of chocolate ice cream at Baskin Robbins (on a sugar cone) and then we went to a Restaurant called Pluckers and I can't find ANY nutrition information on them. I had a Grilled Chicken Sandwich and their fresh made potato chips dipped in blue cheese. I am done eating for the day. They leave tomorrow morning!! I plan on being around 1200 calories tomorrow, drinking lots of water and doing some exercise.

Aside from walking around places the only exercise I have had the last three days is about and hour of swimming on Sunday.

I don't feel terrible, but I do feel I haven't made the best choices. I am just glad I will be back on a normal routine tomorrow. I pray that when I weigh on Wednesday I haven't gained. At this point I will be happy to maintain!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I totally feel where you're coming from. As time goes on I promise you will come up with an arsenal of tricks to get you through those times when you don't feel like you have alot of control.

But, it doesn't sound like you've done all that bad. If you do see a weight gain, remember there is a lot of sodium in restaurant food.

Sounds like you have a good recovery plan!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #3  

The most important part is to get right back on track tomorrow. When it becomes really bad is when we use small slip ups as an excuse to go crazy. You know, "I already blew it, so I might as well keep eating." You didn't do bad, it was only a couple of days, so even if you do see a small gain, just resolve to get right back to it!

You are doing great, don't stop now!!
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

It's tough when company comes to visit! I think you've done a great job of being mindful of what you eat and not just giving yourself permission to let go. I hope I can be half as good when my company comes a the end of the month. They'll be here for 6 weeks! I'm already kinda nervous.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Time to refine some strategies - a cookout at your own home is a GREAT place to stay on plan. And I have to question potato chips dipped in blue cheese - I say "no fries, I would like a side salad dressing with no cheese" automatically, I just don't eat fries in restaurant. Period. It makes it easy, no guilty feelings later!

With all that fast food (Sonic, KFC), it might be time to come up with quick, healthier options - not just for you, but your family. The other members might be a nice, happy weight - but it's not good for them and it's better to model good habits so they can grow up thinking "I think I'll have a half sandwich at Panera" for their go-to convenience meal, not a Double Down!
(caveat - I don't have kids, so have never had to be the firm NO, so I get that it might be more difficult).

Good plan for recovery!

Last edited by Glory87; 06-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6  

one thing that has helped me cope with situations with relatives is to think that my weight loss is for my health. If i had a health problem like celiac disease i wouldn't eat wheat or gluten just because i had guests. I might serve it to them but i still wouldn't eat it.

It hasn't always worked but has helped me to switch for the most part my thinking around guests. It helps me to keep in focus that if it is about my health i should keep to it.
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/253.8/160

Height: 5'2

TxMary I dont think you did so bad and you know what you have to do to get yourself back on track
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

You actually did good. Maybe not food wise, but attitude wise. You acknowledged what happened and know what you need to do to get back on track. You are willing to do what it takes to stay on the wagon so to speak.

I personally ABHOR the Double Down. I have never tried one and I am in a little personal boycott of KFC for them to even have thought of such a "sandwich". I just don't think it would be all that tasty. (but I digress)
mizb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had to rethink the way I treat my guests. I want them to have a great time, but I also need me to me be health conscious and not let my principles fly out the window.

Which means me having to do some of the cooking at home, where I know exactly what's going into the food. Yes, it's more work, but it's worth it.

As far as going out to eat - I ask for customized foods, sticking to grilled chicken or fish, no sauces, no bread, yes to salads with dressing on the side and yes to steamed or grilled veggies - no desserts, but yes to a nice cup of hot tea. This is also a time when I will drink as much diet soda as I want.

It definitely takes some getting used - learning how to navigate life, while adhering to a healthy lifestyle. But it can be done and it IS enjoyable. Because in the end, nothing feels as wonderful to me as sticking to my guns. I get a big kick out of socializing and entertaining all the while staying on plan. It feels marvelous. Who knew?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #10  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone. I am back on track today. It is 94 here today and I may do a walk since the pool is closed on Tuesdays. If not perhaps I can pull out one of my many workout videos to do today. I am drinking lots of water today too.

I know it is hard for some to imagine, but when MIL visits - once a year - dh just lets her decide stuff and I don't argue to keep the peace. The restaurants we went to didn't have many healthy choices. I suppose I could have done salad at KFC, but the research I did says the salads were just as high in calories. The Double Down is 540 and when you think about it isn't much different from a Cordon Bleu. Sonic I was just going for least calories because the burgers are all insanely high. Pluckers is a wing bar and I could have passed on the homemade chips, but I guess my attitude was stinky because I thought- if I am eating here I am going to enjoy something I won't eat again for a long time. We rarely eat out anymore due to budget contraints.

Anyway, whatever happens tomorrow on weigh day, happens. I am just pressing forward and not looking back or beat myself up.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote