Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - How terrible is rice in a diet?

View Full Version : How terrible is rice in a diet?

ENOUGH ALREADY
06-14-2010, 04:03 PM
I love rice and I eat it everyday! do I have to remove it from my new lifestyle? I'm just starting my FINAL weight loss journey. Final because I now know I will make this happen!!

WarMaiden
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
A better question would be: "How terrible is rice for me in my diet?" Rice might be fine for some people, not fine for others, and for still others it's a moot point since they don't eat it. Why don't you experiment with not eating it for a while and see what happens? My suggestion would be to take out the rice you're eating and replace it with an equal volume of vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, Romaine lettuce, asparagus, tomatoes, carrots, etc. Any and all of those offer much more nutritional benefit (and fewer calories) than rice.

AnnieDrews
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
You will get many answers on this. Here's mine: In my diet, I eat rice (white, brown, etc.). I just make sure and use portion control and count it closely. I love rice, too. I know, for me, if I deny myself things that I love I will not be able to follow my lifestyle changes permanently. Do some research and count it into your plan. Also, find ways to prepare it in a healthy manner (less added fat and sodium). Good luck!

Glory87
06-14-2010, 04:24 PM
I eat a lot of rice. I always portion it - after all these years! It is a tough food for me to eyeball.

PeanutsMom704
06-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I personally am fine having rice and all other grains - but in very carefully measured, small portions. It's more for a bit of flavor and texture than as the base for a whole dish, if that makes sense?

Toni48
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
A half of a cup is a serving. Why not try brown rice. So much better for you.

ENOUGH ALREADY
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
It's weird because I make dinner and there is always rice. Being Puertorican rice and beans is a staple. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and my mother made rice every single day. When I got married, my husband expected rice every single day as well. can't run away from it! lol

ennay
06-14-2010, 05:23 PM
You love it, you eat it every day. Removing it doesnt sound like something that will be easy or sustainable. I would say that would go far far far far far down the list of things to change.

Beverlyjoy
06-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I have not given up rice. I have eaten brown rice most of my life. It's important to measure it. Other than that, enjoy.

beerab
06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't call rice "good" or "bad" in fact I try not to label things that way. That being said if counting calories is your weight loss routine you can still have some white rice or brown or whatever rice you eat.

If you are doing something like South Beach white rice is a no-no in the first phase and then I'm not sure about the other phases but I'd switch to brown or wild rice. I'm on south beach and I pretty much never eat white rice anymore and when I do have rice it's brown or wild rice because it has a lower glycemic index.

RunnerChemist
06-14-2010, 06:10 PM
You can try adding vegetables to your rice and beans to bulk out a small portion but still get the rice and bean flavor. Maybe cabbage, broccoli, or other green? I love beans and greens together, and that would go well with rice. It wouldn't necessarily be traditional, but it might be delicious.

Stella4
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
I definitely agree with the advice on portion control when it comes to rice.

But rice can be a food that sometimes stops up some peoples bowels, so I would suggest limiting rice if you found this to be the issue with yourself!

ENOUGH ALREADY
06-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I make white rice, but will buy a small bag of brown rice and see if I like the taste. But I always measure a 1/2 cup for me. My fatness came around because I love sweets not because I overate rice. Weirdly I always remember how my mom always said that too much rice constipates! hahahaha

tommy
06-14-2010, 11:50 PM
I will chime in on the portion control. Your situation is different because you are feeding someone else. I buy the already cooked rice in a shelf stable single serving bowl at the Korean market. It is a starchy sticky fragrant rice and is 300 calories. I portion out 1/4 to 1/3 of it per meal and that is completely fine calorie wise plus it gives me the taste I love. I add tons of veggies, quick pickles, and my lean protein and have a lovely satisfying meal. Yes- I could go brown and sometimes do, but it just does not hit my "yum button".

ENOUGH ALREADY
06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Tommy, I like that "Yum Button" lol

caryesings
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
While I sometimes do eat brown rice, I don't really find it a substitute for white rice as the flavor and texture are quite different. If you want a more whole grain substitute for white rice, try barley. I find it a better taste/texture match.

WhitePicketFences
06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I get brown rice or jasmine rice.

I eat it maybe 1-2 times per week, with dinner (1/2 serving when it's with my fish, and 1+ serving when it's with my Thai or Indian curry).

I don't think it's unhealthy plus I am open to just about anything not-entirely-wasteful that fits into my calorie allotment.

The only thing I consciously do -- besides measuring -- is to try and rotate my carbs a little. I don't want to have rice with my mahi-mahi on the same day that I had oatmeal for breakfast and a carb at lunch also. I like to spread them out more than that; that's just me.

Not a big maneuver since I rotate all of my meals continuously, like the 3 main breakfasts I tend to eat, etc.

StephanieM
06-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I eat a fair amount of rice due to a gluten intolerance, I love it!

To keep from overdoing it, I make a ton of steamed vegtables and bake some chicken and mix it all up. That way the majority of what I'm eating is the healthy stuff.

saef
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, it seems to work well in most of Asia, but I'm kind of afraid of the stuff personally & have to exercise some serious portion control.

Anything with a certain texture that can be shoveled in, is not a friend of mine. Goopy stuff, like hummus, yogurt, sugarfree pudding, oatmeal & rice, I've really gotta watch for some reason. (And these are healthy foods so let's not even talk about ice cream or cold cereal.) I want to eat them to satiety & I can't, because satiety is over the line, for me anyway.

You know it's bad when I'm reading about people subsisting on bowls of gruel & I think to myself, "Actually, that sounds good, if I could put brown sugar & pecans on it" & then I know, it has a pull & has to be limited. Rice is in that family. Brown or white. I don't know why. Maybe because it's fun inside your mouth, because of the crumbly yet creamy texture.

ENOUGH ALREADY
06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, it seems to work well in most of Asia, but I'm kind of afraid of the stuff personally & have to exercise some serious portion control.

Anything with a certain texture that can be shoveled in, is not a friend of mine. Goopy stuff, like hummus, yogurt, sugarfree pudding, oatmeal & rice, I've really gotta watch for some reason. (And these are healthy foods so let's not even talk about ice cream or cold cereal.) I want to eat them to satiety & I can't, because satiety is over the line, for me anyway.

You know it's bad when I'm reading about people subsisting on bowls of gruel & I think to myself, "Actually, that sounds good, if I could put brown sugar & pecans on it" & then I know, it has a pull & has to be limited. Rice is in that family. Brown or white. I don't know why. Maybe because it's fun inside your mouth, because of the crumbly yet creamy texture.

LOL!! I like that "Rice is fun inside your mouth"!

Runundefined
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I try to follow a low GI plan and recently found out that Uncle Ben's Converted (not instant) rice is only 44 (considered LOW) on the GI scale.

I think it has to do with the fact that it is parboiled. I like it because it always cooks up fluffy.. I had stopped eating ANY rice at all and now am very glad to add it back.

I do still portion it.

sweetnlow28
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I have eaten rice all along during my "diet". I substituted brown rice in the beginning but discovered it came out sticky and took so long to cook. I ended up making a compromise and I bought a box of parboiled (instant) brown minute rice. I just love it! it comes out perfect every time and cooks in less than 10 minutes. I also recently discovered basmati rice. It has a wonderful aroma and nutty taste. I think that unless you are sensitive to carbs, rice is just fine as part of a balanced diet as long as you remember portion control (about 1/2 - 3/4 cup cooked for most rice) , just like any other food ;)

jennett
06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I am all about rice. I would eat way too much of it given the chance so I make the individual boil in a bag brown rice and bulk it up with finely diced onion, carrots, peppers and broccoli. It still fits with any meal, adding the veggies just makes my rice stretch that much further.