Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/125/125

Height: 5'6

Default I tried to get help today, but...

...I wouldn't say I was succesful.

I went to my school's therapy center right after my morning classes were over. I took the decision last night and I was feeling so hopeful. When I got there, I was nervous and it was kind of embarrassing. I went to the desk and said that I'd seen on the internet that they were offering counseling and therapy treatment for eating disorders and that I had one. There was a girl my age who was really nice. She gave me a questionary that I have to fill out and bring back and then I'll be put on the waiting list. And it gonna take about a YEAR! I didn't expect seeing someone right away, but... in a couple of weeks maybe.
I started filling out the questionary. It's questions about childhood and stuff. My childhood hasn't actually been very happy and I think it's maybe not a bad idea to talk about it. I guess that's what therapy is about. But at the same time, I feel like I'd rather forget about it and move on.
Anyways, I'm going to answer the questions tonight and then bring the papers back tomorrow, so that I'm on that waiting list.
Lizaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #2  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I think it's great that you got on the waiting list. It's a shame that mental health treatment is scarce, but you did the smart thing. In the meantime, you can seek out other options such as online support.

A lot of women with eating disorders have benefited from Overeater's Anonymous too. If you have a meeting in your area, you can check it out. They also have online meetings. It's not therapy, but people do talk about their lives in a supportive atmosphere. People listen and are instructed not to give advice, which can be controlling or shaming.

Good luck.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #3  

thanks for the advice, motivated chickie. I am in Germany, though. I don't know whether Overeaters Anonymous have support groups here. I know that AA do. I'll have to check it out.
You're right, after all the waiting list is a good step in the right direction. A year from now, I'll be glad I went to there today. Even though I hope I will have succesfully fought the disorder until then. I'll try my best.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #4  
Healthy Chick in Training

S/C/G: 243.8/ticker/179

Height: 5.3

You took a HUGE first step. Now keep on searching until you find someone who can help you.
jennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Wow- a year on a waiting list? That seems crazy to me. You'd think that if they're going to offer help, they should help sooner than that.

It's good that you're on the waiting list, but in the meantime it would probably benefit you to explore other options. If you have health insurance, talking to a nutritionist couldn't hurt. We all could benefit from that! Also, there are lots of self help books, blogs, magazines, etc. that should provide a lot of useful information. Lastly, keep doing what you're doing. Talk to us, talk to others on websites, chat rooms and support groups who are dealing with the same thing. There are so many other people who are going through the exact same issues (myself included) and need to share their feelings too.

We're here to lean on eachother and support eachother. Keep your chin up and stay strong. One day at a time, one meal at a time, one good decision at a time - we can do this! :-)
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Wow, I am surprised that you have to wait for a year! Maybe when you turn in the paperwork, you can mention that you were really hoping for something sooner and see if they have any advise on any other place where you could go. Since you are in Germany, I am not sure what resources are available. I was able to find some actual in-person support groups through google.
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyGirl27 View Post
Wow, I am surprised that you have to wait for a year! Maybe when you turn in the paperwork, you can mention that you were really hoping for something sooner and see if they have any advise on any other place where you could go. Since you are in Germany, I am not sure what resources are available. I was able to find some actual in-person support groups through google.
Actually, when I turned in the papers I did ask for other options. The girl at the reception said she would call me as soon as there would be any new groups, etc.
Last Friday, I agreed to be part of a study on eating disorders by one of their psychologists. Since I've never been in therapy, they're going to diagonose me first and then they'll interview me and I'll have to fill out questionaires and some other stuff. That might already be of some help. Maybe it's making me realize why I binge.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/212/160

Good, I am glad that you are able to participate in the study. Hopefully there will be some therapy associated with that. Good luck to you. Hope to hear more from you!
JennyGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote