Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #1  

Default looking for some answers about weight loss surgery?

Ok I am in the process of weight loss surgery (open gastric bypass) and I have a couple questions!
How long did it take from the start of the process to surgery date?
What was the pre/post surgery diet?
Are there any foods you couldn't eat post surgery?
Any complications?
I've researched as much as I can but I'd rather hear real life stories not all medical mumbo jumbo (I'll get enough of that once I see the surgeon!) Thanks!!!
cuppycake22410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You could ask a hundred different WLS patients these questions and get a hundred different answers. Here's a start:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...questions.html
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hi cuppycake! welcome aboard! jilly's right - everyone is a bit different. for the gastric bypass, the first three months are NOT EASY. but it does get better.

after your surgery, you'll be on liquids for awhile [and everyone's surgeon has different instructions]. and then it'll be mostly protein, with other foods gradually added in.

most important - if you remember nothing else, remember this: water, protein, vitamins.

BTW, why are you going with an open procedure? please keep us posted!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
hi cuppycake! welcome aboard! jilly's right - everyone is a bit different. for the gastric bypass, the first three months are NOT EASY. but it does get better.

after your surgery, you'll be on liquids for awhile [and everyone's surgeon has different instructions]. and then it'll be mostly protein, with other foods gradually added in.

most important - if you remember nothing else, remember this: water, protein, vitamins.

BTW, why are you going with an open procedure? please keep us posted!!!!
I'm looking into the open procedure because the surgeon everyone recommends to be is strictly open gastric bypass. Also, I had a c section almost 4 months ago, will the open procedure be difficult with that incision? Its a bikini line incision.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #5  

Feel free to read my blog if you want a picture of my experience:

http://www.diminishingdawn.com
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  
Caitlin

S/C/G: 270/???/150

Height: 5'9"

My mom had gastric bypass surgery about 10 years ago. They probably go through the process a bit differently now, but I don't really remember there being a whole lot of prep type stuff (and these days I think it varies from doctor to doctor, as others have said). She was in the hospital for a few days after the surgery and had to be on a liquid diet for a pretty long time, slowly adding more and more solid foods (lots of beef and vegetable soup in a blender!). Since her surgery ice cream doesn't sit well with her anymore, but I don't think she's had many other problems apart from filling up on appetizers or drinks before dinner! She was also told not to do any heavy lifting from then on.

A word of caution - my mom gained back a lot of the weight she lost because she doesn't eat right. You can only eat a little at a time, but if you eat frequently (and poorly) it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I'm sure your doctor has been over all this with you - I don't mean to come across as being condescending - but even with gastric bypass or lap-band surgery, maintaining weight-loss requires a change of lifestyle. I wish my mom had really understood that when she went under the knife.
GoodShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #7  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Weight loss surgery is a TOOL not a Miracle.
Right now for me 8 weeks out I think of it as a shock collar to remind me to behave with the most force possible, the goal if I am lucky is that by the time the shock of what happens when i do things, like eat baked goods, fades I will be so in the habit of eating right and so much healthier and happier with my body that I wont want to do things that will cause weight gain.
But in the long run it is Up To Me
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

It depends so much on the surgeon and on the program. I, too, blogged my process (http://margaretandelwood.blogspot.com/) and you are welcome to read it.

The number one thing that I recommend is to educate yourself. My surgeon also has a blog which is very informative: http://www.bariatricsurgeryblog.blogspot.com/

I am now about 10 weeks out. I do not regret it for a second.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #9  

Thanks for the replies, love reading the blogs! To give anyone more background info, I'm 19 (20 in december) and I've been thinking about wls for some time now. My BMI is 54.1 and what really pushed me to pursue this is my son. He was born february 24th of this year. I want to be around to watch him grow up and get married, etc and I want to be able to chase after the little rascal once he starts crawling and walking! I've been on various diets since I was 13 and none of them had any long term results. I'm very ready to make the lifelong changes I need to be healthy for myself and my family. I've spoken to my fiance about it and at first he was iffy about it and now he supports me 100%. Him and my mom keep saying they're proud of me for making this decision but I'm not getting ahead of myself until I've been approved by my insurance company.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #10  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycake22410 View Post
... I'm very ready to make the lifelong changes I need to be healthy for myself and my family.
The BEST thing that happend to me me was gaining 13 pounds before my first surgery was schedualed (then canceled cause of the gain) I was NOT ready obviously and they told me to lose 33 pounds before they would schedual me and with south beach I did. I learned to do portion control, and self control and by reading the first 112 pages of the book (the rest is recipes) I learned a LOT about what food does to my body.
I lost 52 pounds in 8 months and kept it off and I will say without a doubt what so every that i would fail miserably at this surgery without having proven to MYSELF and my body that I could do it.
Also my dr wanted me to be exercising 45 to 60 mins 5 times a week Before surgery and I blew it off....HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake I am paying for now with weak muscles that I have to now build up with less energy behind me... get yourself as Healthy as you can, workout, eat right not a diet but a life change in how you eat. Check around this and other sites and find out how much you should currently be eating and do so in the healthiest way possible and then get your surgery.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

why did you choose the bypass instead of the lapband? believe me, there are really good reasons to go with one over the other, but i'm wondering what YOURS are. and there shouldn't be too much of a problem with the bikini line incision for the open - they'll actually be working a little farther 'north' on your body.

Also, depending on the surgeon, it might take as long as a YEAR to actually have the surgery [between clearances, and pre-op weight loss, and perhaps a supervised diet plan because your insurance company wants you to jump through hoops]. So, please take your time choosing the right type of surgery FOR YOU with the right surgeon.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #12  

I spoke with my primary doctor about it and he recommended the gastric bypass. I also watched the seminar required for the registration and it said for the bands you have to get it checked frequently which means needles in your belly (which I have a thing about needles in other places than my arm for bloodwork). I also like the rapid weight loss and the combination of malabsorptive and restrictive qualities. I have probably close to 200lbs to lose to be at the weight I should be at
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #13  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

At my seminar-the surgeon stressed repeatedly that the average weight loss is 60% of your excess weight. He said most people unhappy with bypass had unrealistic expectations of weight loss-did your seminar say the same thing?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppycake22410 View Post
I spoke with my primary doctor about it and he recommended the gastric bypass. I also watched the seminar required for the registration and it said for the bands you have to get it checked frequently which means needles in your belly (which I have a thing about needles in other places than my arm for bloodwork). I also like the rapid weight loss and the combination of malabsorptive and restrictive qualities. I have probably close to 200lbs to lose to be at the weight I should be at
Please be aware that the gastric bypass and the band are NOT the only options available, though they are the only options most doctors know about and most surgeons are capable of performing. With nearly 200 pounds to lose, I suggest also researching the DS (duodenal switch) - it may not end up being the right procedure for you, but you owe it to yourself to be aware of all your options so you can make a fully informed decision. There is also the VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy), but it does not combine malabsorption and restriction as you mentioned you wanted, but you should still be aware of it as an option.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote