General chatter - World Cup 2010

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Clydegirl
06-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Starts on Friday :carrot:

This was my sport growing up in the UK. I love football/soccer. Big game on Saturday USA takes on England.

Any other fans here.

midwife
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
USA! USA! USA!

Ronaldo! Ronaldo! Ronaldo!

As you see, I have varying loyalties!

Clydegirl
06-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Midwife it's you and I :)

OT love your avatar. Can't wait for the new season to start.

EZMONEY
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM

Any other fans here.

:) ABSOLUTELY! :)

I can't wait!

Seriously, I don't follow it that much....but I do watch....

My son and step-d are big fans, and played, so soccer was always on but I only watch the Olympics and World Cup.

My son was at the World Cup in Germany 2006....

I was visiting my mom and grandma...both now in Heaven.... while he was there....

funny story.....

While I was in Illinois visiting them I watched the games on TV while I chatted with my mom and grandma....now my mom was fine but my grandma had dementia. My mom had seen plenty of soccer games when the kids were little...but I doubt my grandma ever had.

While we watched she would say things like "boy they just run, run, run"...etc. So I knew she was paying a little attention. I would try to explain some things but mostly she would just say..."isn't that nice"...or...

"did you eat yet?" ;)

I swear I answered that question a ba-zillion times while I was there...she asked it even when I WAS eating.....

boy I loved my grandma :hug:

Anyway during a game, with Brazil I think, the goalie came out of the box late in the game to add to the offense....and...

I swear!!!

My grandma starts yelling..."He's out of the goal..he's out of the goal!"..."why is he out of the goal?".....

Guess Grandma had a little more going on that I knew!

Here in California the first game on Saturday between Korea and Greece will be at 4am...my son and his buddies...and wives... are all getting together for the day....

some are on breakfast duty...some lunch duty for Argentina and Nigeria and some later for USA and England.....

then he is coming to my house for a family BBQ for some of our family that is doing a mud run in the morning...

he promised me by then he would be hammered....but will show up!

This WORLD CUP will be a great time for my family as we watch and share!

Clydegirl
06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Gary I thought you might be a fan.

Nice story about your grandma.

I watched a lot of football with my dad. I can hear him now shouting at the ref.

I am looking forward to some good games just sad that Scotland did not qualify this year.

EZMONEY
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry about Scotland Big Bird...

I just hope USA puts on a good show and makes it to the next round...

I grew up watching/listening to baseball with my dad...and all other sports too!

My son and I keep it going...he just texted me about college football stuff....

all last night I was texting him scores from the baseball/basketball games....he is a coach for track at the high school he teaches at...track banquet last night.

EZMONEY
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I saw the last 40 minutes of the France vs. Uruguay match....

tomorrow is going to be fun!

I hope the buzzing horn noise is at a minimum...annoys the crap outta me!

Clydegirl
06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I agree about the noise.

Watched the 2nd half of the first game.

Tomorrow's game should be good between USA and England.

zibsca
06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Ahhh the horns, sounds like there is a giant wasps nest behind the commentators! Yes big football fans here and time zone is perfect since we're in Italy.. no getting up at too-early-o'clock for the matches lol. Looking forward to the UK/US match tonight too!

Clydegirl
06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
The game is about to start :)

ANOther
06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I went to lunch at a sports bar, they had it on and I caught the first 18 or so minutes. England scored in the 4th minute and AFAIK it's still 1-0 England

Clydegirl
06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I went to lunch at a sports bar, they had it on and I caught the first 18 or so minutes. England scored in the 4th minute and AFAIK it's still 1-0 England

Not any more. All tied up at halftime.

ANOther
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Woo-hoo! Go USA!

caribbeangirl02
06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Hello all, I grew up in the Caribbean, watching Baseball games, but I felt in love with futbol(or soccer as is known here in the US) during the 1986 Mexico World Cup competition!! I still am I Baseball fan but love Soccer also I've been a fan since then!!!

Glad to hear I am not alone here following this wonderful global event...
Go USA!!
Cheers!!

Caribbean Girl

ANOther
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
FINAL: 1-1! Whooooodathunkit! In 60 years England has yet to beat the USA in the World Cup!!!!*

*Of course the last time England PLAYED the USA in the World Cup was 60 years ago: the US won that time 1-0 (see the movie The Game of Their Lives)

Clydegirl
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Good result for the US.

EZMONEY
06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
WOW! What a great match...we fell asleep a little right up then the unfortunate mishap for Green....

a well deserved tie for both...

ANOther
06-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Germany 4-0 Australia

[insert invasion joke here]

C'mon, German coach, teach these guys to score a few goals

PhoebesMum
06-13-2010, 11:31 PM
So glad it World Cup time again!!!! :)

My husband and I had small gathering yesterday for the England v US game. He is British and was the only only England support in the house. It was interesting!!

The sad thing is b/c we watch the Premiership (and Championship last season as I am Newcastle fan) I know the English players much better than the US ones.

I think England will make it out of the group stage but get knock out shortly after. The US not so sure what is going to happen. I would like to see them at least get out of the group stage.

I'm guesses Spain is gonna win it all, but you never know there could always be a suprise...look at what Turkey in in Euro 2008!

clickit
06-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Germany FTW! I have a bet going with my husband that they'll take it all. He's rooting for Argentina or Brazil.

zibsca
06-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Tonight Italy vs Paraguay is on! The city is gearing up already, Italian flags hanging from the balconies and I see guys in the jerseys walking around too. Funny, footy matches are the only time flags are ever waved round here. Over the past few years I've also observed more often than not a Brazilian flag will be right up there next to the Italian one. :carrot: Forza Azzuri!

mom with issues
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I guess I'll add my 2 cents. I like watching the games and following them, but my son is determined to watch every minute of every game. He has taped the ones he can't watch live so he can see them too. And God forbid you should tell him ahead of time who won. He has played soccer for 9 years and 3 seasons a year for 6 of those years. It's still his first love, sports wise. I also hate the buzzing but he won't mute the tv so I just try to tune it out.

midwife
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
This might sound doofy, but when I watch the games, for example Algeria vs. Slovenia, and I see players from such diverse cultures from all around the world, coming together to participate in a game that is meaningful to so many around the world, it makes me believe that world peace just might, maybe, be possible some day.

EZMONEY
06-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I am off work today, doing chores and running errands, so I saw the second half of the Japan match and am watching Italy and Paraguay now....

the buzzing gets to me sometimes so I mute the tv but find it pretty boring w/o sound for too long too!

Even though I watch a lot of sports with the sound way down or off...

Soccer brings World Peace...a nice concept BABY CATCHER...as long as all matches end in a tie.....wink

EZMONEY
06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I watched some of the matches today but turned the sound off because of the buzzing....

Again found it boring w/no sound.....

switched to a marathon of Man vs. Food which I had never seen before...

Good thing I have work for tomorrow...my mind would be mush....!

clickit
06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Heh, Spain lost to Switzerland?! And god, count me in for hating the buzz from the vuvuzelas. Kinda sounds like they're playing inside a huge hornet nest.

midwife
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't mind the vuvuzelas, althought I know I am in the minority.

Quite a stunner for Spain, eh?

EZMONEY
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I got home in time to see the last 40 minutes of Mexico's game....

I kept the sound off but "heard" every time Mexico scored....

Evidently many of my neighbors stayed home to watch the game....lol

EZMONEY
06-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Tough tie on a bad call for the USA...

I missed it with work but son came me up with texts...boy was the crowd he was with livid!

A win and we are in though...what's up England?

And if we don't win we didn't deserve to advance anyway....

Clydegirl
06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Wow that was a terrible call against the USA. Still have a chance have to win the next game.

They were lucky England lost.

midwife
06-19-2010, 01:24 PM
England tied with Algeria.

The US was screwed. Did you see Bocanegra in a headlock? And the foul was on the US? But the ref won't say exactly on whom. Lame.

claire0412
06-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi!

i love football too! I'm from Essex so i'm an England fan (unfortunately). I watched it in the pub yesterday and am still wondering how on earth we didn't beat Algeria. Ho hum

Clydegirl
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
USA and England are through.

Shannon in ATL
06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I almost had a heart attack during the four minutes of stoppage play in the USA/Algeria match, was listening in my car on the way back to work from an appointment. DH is home from work for the game and can barely talk from all the screaming he did in the last hour.

I was convinced that we were out when that goal was disallowed at 21'...

USA!!!

Shannon in ATL
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
This might sound doofy, but when I watch the games, for example Algeria vs. Slovenia, and I see players from such diverse cultures from all around the world, coming together to participate in a game that is meaningful to so many around the world, it makes me believe that world peace just might, maybe, be possible some day.

Midwife, makes me think the same thing. Though I agree with Gary that tie scores will help with that. :)

junebug41
06-23-2010, 01:15 PM
How exciting! I work above a bar, so it's safe to say I haven't gotten any work done this morning :lol:

EZMONEY
06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Had to work but my son sent me texts all morning...last one was...

85 min. doesn't look good....

about 8 minutes later I got a call....

"WE FREAKIN' WON!"

A nice way to start the rest of my day....

L R K
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
This is why I will watch soccer - and my SO knows it! haha!)

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/LRK1983/fernando-torres1-1.jpg

Fernando Torres! Hot, Spanish and Very Talented!

All jokes aside, the football has been awesome. I am actually proud of the US :) (can't believe I am saying that ha!) But yeh my team's out (Australia).

midwife
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Hmmmmm.....yummo!

EZMONEY
06-25-2010, 09:36 PM
He's so purrr-ty I thought it was a girl at first.....

ANOther
06-26-2010, 08:05 PM
06.26: All over for team USA, we lost to Ghana in OT, 2-1 :cry:

EZMONEY
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Tough loss but what a great winning goal by that guy from Ghana...

at least no bad calls and next time we will be ready from the start!!...I hope....

ANOther
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Hellololo ? Anybody hereereere ?

Spain won the championship, 1-0 in extra time over the Netherlands!

Clydegirl
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
That's it for 4 years.

Congrats to Spain.

EZMONEY
07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
That was a long boring game...but a fun World Cup all in all