Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Vacation Advice?

View Full Version : Vacation Advice?

Halfhazard
06-09-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm going on a week-long vacation with my boyfriend in two weeks. I am wondering if anyone has any good healthy vacation eating tips. Are there any specific menu items off of chain restaurants that aren't particularly bad? I'm spending the week in Ocean City, MD so if anyone knows any healthy restaurants there, then please let me know!

nelie
06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
My vacation advice is walk, walk, walk and stay active :) I tend to lose weight on vacations without trying which is one reason I really like vacations.

Chipotle is one of my favorite eating places as they exist in lots of places and it is easy to get a good, low calorie meal there. I like their salads, my husband likes their bowls or splitting a burrito is another option. Just stay away from the sour cream and cheese and I usually ask for guacamole on the side and add how much I like.

I looked at the restaurants in Ocean City and I don't know any of them or the ones I do recognize, I don't know the menus.

RunnerChemist
06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I second Nelie. I just had a great vacation where we rented bicycles, ran along a lake and walked all over town. We stayed in a hotel, so I had access to low-cal breakfast options, but even going out for breakfast we did fine.

Most chain restaurants (and local ones) will serve a dinner salad - it's a good option if you are getting low on calories, and all restaurants I have been to are good about customizing your food (no bacon, dressing on the side, etc.). I do well at Panera. I also have my husband share ice cream and other treats with me - that way I get a treat but don't break the bank. He's a good sport.

If you eat seafood, you can eat quite a bit if you don't eat it deep fried or drowned in butter. Enjoy your vacation!

motivated chickie
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I love the shore- I'm a Jersey shore gal myself.

I don't know if you have a fridge in the place you are staying, but I'd recommend going grocery shopping and making some of your meals. You can eat breakfast at home and pack a healthy lunch/snacks to eat at the beach.

Also, I'd suggest skipping restaurants for dinner and getting seafood take out. The seafood is fresh and delicious. You can buy some clam chowder and fish and have a nice picnic with your boyfriend at sun set. But these take out places have a ton of fried food, which might be tempting.

...And for all the calories saved, you can have a treat of ice cream or frozen yogurt.

I second what people are saying about exercise. I love bike riding and walking/running on the beach. If you make activity and not eating the focus of your vacation, you'll do fine.

But that's just my preferences. I hate eating at restaurants at the shore. They are crowded, overpriced, and the food isn't that tasty.