General Diet Plans and Questions - Looking for advice on low carb diets

hannah11
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm trying to go on a low carb diet eg Atkin's because I want to lose weight fast. However, I'm having real trouble resisting my cravings, and I've never managed to refrain from carbs for long enough to enter ketosis. The longest I've gone without carbs was 24 hrs and I felt dreadful- exhausted! Is this meant to happen and does it stop?

Also, how helpful is exercise on a low carb diet? Because since you are burning up your fat as energy, then logically the more exercise you do the more energy you need, the more fat you burn? How much exercise should I be doing and of what kind?

tymaboy
06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Last Thursday is when I started my low carb diet. I had done Atkins 6-7 yrs ago. This time I am doing things more my way (I do recall loosing more on the Adkins) Yes you do have the cravings. The 1st 2 days were the worst for me & I was always hungry even though I was eating (just not the carbs my body wanted) Each day is getting easier & easier. The longer I am on it the better I feel. Vitamins are essential on low carb. I am not tired during the day & I sleep much better at night. Exercise is good for any diet. Start off slow & increase when you feel comfortable with what you have been doing.

lafake01
06-18-2010, 07:36 PM
In my opinion you're better off with a well-balanced diet...not one that eliminates or is low-carb. Carbs in moderation + exercise works! : )

srmb60
06-18-2010, 08:19 PM
You'll find lots of good information in the threads here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/

BarbieGirl2
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Losing weight fast will come back fast. Cut out flour and sugar and you'll lose at a moderate but maintainable pace while still enjoying some carbs (rice, potatoes) in moderation.

mthrgoos68
06-23-2010, 03:45 PM
However some of us find that carbs, espcially white carbs of any kind, can prompt cravings and bring on binges. In those instances, it's better to avoid the bread, rice, potatoes, flour, and sugar, and get your carbs from the fruits and veggies. I really like Atkins, but Southbeach is also a great way to go.

Rochester
06-23-2010, 05:44 PM
There is ketosis low carb (10%) and there is modified low carb (25%). I think I would absolutely die on 10% ;) but the 25% works fantastic for me. I don't have cravings, I feel healthy and energetic, and I lose weight. I get the 25% almost exclusively from fruits & veggies. I eat grains only about once or twice a week, and almost always only at breakfast.