Old 06-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Default If you want to get pregnant ...

This is an interview with an M.D. who specializes in couples with infertility. He talks about using a diet-based program to help women get pregnant, but recommends both partners go on the diet. I think it's very interesting.

He promotes a very-low carb diet with primarily proteins, veggies and animal fats. He says it also helps with PCOS and reduces the risk of gestational diabetes and mood swings during the actual pregnancy.

Here is the link.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I had infertility issues due to multiple uterine fibroids, cystic ovaries and endometriosis. Both times that I managed to get pregnant were right after I had been on-plan, exercising every day and had lost some weight.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 262.6/ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Wink Getting prego with PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS right after I got married in 2007. I tried for 2 1/2 years on my own to get pregnant. I tried tracking my cycles, taking meds like glucophage, and losing weight with WW. Nothing worked. I finally gave up and figured I just wasn't meant to have a baby. I decided to try the Southbeach Diet last spring. I know I am at risk of developing diabetes because of my PCOS, and I really am trying to avoid that! I started SB in on April 15th, and to my surprise, I found out I was pregnant on Sept. 3rd. Not only did I limit carb intake, but I really focused on eatting good carbs, as well as limiting my sugar intake. I also made it my mission to work-out, and I found something I enjoy doing (my elliptical!) I honestly believe that is why I have my son. I had given up hope of becoming pregnant, and for 2 1/2 years I watched sisters and cousins get pregnant without even trying. Changing my diet helped change my hormones, which helped me be able to get pregnant.
AudreyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I wish I'd known this 15 years ago. After years of trying, and lots of doctors, we finally conceived when I was 35, but we've agonized over not being able to have a second child. And now, at 45, it's too late.

I thank God every day for the blessing of G, our delightful 9yo. (that's her picture in the bubble bath as my avatar) But I really do wish my doctor or endo had sat me down and said "Very low carb. Read it. Do it. See how it works."
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #5  
futuremamachick

S/C/G: 280/210/150

Height: 5'6

Great article. It is my hope that my low carb diet coupled with my weight loss will finally be the key to getting pregnant for the first time.
steph15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #6  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Yeah, I went low carb at the end of March and this weekend on a hunch I POAS. That line came up super dark, super quick. I think I'm about 8 weeks along. It wasn't planned, we just weren't careful enough as my hormone levels started getting better.

I have PCOS.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 325/301/150

Height: 5'6

we tried conceiving for 2 years and then i started south beach, lost about 40lbs and got pregnant right away. i always tell everyone i credit my diet to us conceiving our first...it was a miracle really
thinkthin7 is offline   Reply With Quote