Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default really stupid move on my part

let me just say this....I scare myself sometimes with how foolish I can be.

I have to face the fact that just because I am seldom hungry, just because I KNOW I should not eat something, just because I know WHY I should not eat something does not mean I have the willpower to NOT EAT IT if it is there.

I had a long 6 hour long Live action role playing game on Sunday and I often bring treats which are usually corn chips with some kind of dip like cheese dip and/or bean dip and sometime this time of year strawberries. I have learned I can have a few corn chips with a lot of dip and be pretty ok because I am usually just not that tempted and I USUALLY bring some food just for me that is pretty much protein in a cold sack.

I have been Craving Gingersnaps for weeks and I thought "If I buy a box for game I can have a FEW and everyone else will eat them up for me" wellllllll I did not make it out of the parking lot before I got into them, then at game I kept having "just one more" Also I just shrugged off making a lunch/snack pack before going because it is so annoying coming up with stuff to take with me.

Finally by end of game I was nearly doubled over in pain and it just got worse, we went to afters at Denny's and all I could do was sip a cup of decaf and go to the bathroom to pass gas every 10 mins and then we went to the goth club and I did the same thing (I should of carried some anti-gas meds in my purse) until I was nearly in tears a few times... waves of contraction like cramps were hitting me (we had driven in my car and I hated dragging my friends away til my BF said enough we are going home)

He drove us to his house which is not far from mine and followed me to my house (scary scary drive) and I took gas pills and we watched 13th warrior with lots of restroom breaks and finally at 4 am I was able to sleep for a few hours before it has started up again more mildly 3 hours later.

the worse part??? I KNEW BETTER, I knew simple carbs would upset me but I had to push to see how much I could take, i just hope I remember this lesson cause I swear it hurt as bad as right after surgery there for a little bit.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Glad you are doing better! But yeah... stay away from the trigger foods. They are called trigger foods for a reason.

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

congratulations, Spooky!!! you've just survived your first episode of DUMPING. most of us would do ANYTHING to avoid this, even to planning health snacks, and not keeping the food around the house.

you've learned a valuable lesson here. and NOW, you get to figure out how to cope with this! we've ALL done this. some of us more than once!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Spooky, I haven't had WLS but can still totally relate. I can't have my trigger foods accesible to me. I even have a piece of furniture that has a skeleton key on it. My daughter has to hide the key so I don't eat my children's things--like granola bars, goldfish, cereals, etc. I will literally eat until there is none left. I know I shouldn't. I feel like crap afterwards--mentally and physically.

Good for you to be recognizing this for what it is and knowing what you can and can't handle. I think being honest w/yourself and others about your weaknesses is paramount. I know for me it is.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

OMG....yes the trigger foods. We had a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese middle and cream cheese icing here at work at a pitch in. I LOVE carrott cake. I couldn't resist any longer. I ate it. Then went back to my office laid on the floor, only to rise to puke into the trash can. Lesson learned...but for how long?????? That is the question. Not any time realllllll soon, but.....
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/200/155

Height: 5'1

Sorry for your pain. Im yet to go thru the surgery but the stories are important for me because I know Im not perfect and will make mistakes, Thanks for sharing what it will feel /look like.
luvbug02468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Lord, I get this!! Now I look at donuts and other things and say "ouch!!!" and get all excited over fresh fruit!

Strange that pain was the only answer to my eating crappy things and refocusing on the good stuff. I knew what I was doing when I had GBP, knew about dumping, did it on purpose and will do ANYTHING to avoid it. I am still grateful for the consequences of eating my former trigger foods!

Yes, lesson learned but still.....OUCH!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 06-09-2010 at 11:12 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #8  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

I didn't know you could get dumping with Duodenal Switch, I thought it was a RNY thing but I wont do it again I hope
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #9  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I thought Jill said that DSers don't dump like RNYers. Huh, maybe it's a DS version?

Last edited by missangelaks; 06-09-2010 at 03:50 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #10  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

I think it is carb overload not "dumping" -- Jill will know for sure. DSers digest/absorb 100% of carbs so you have to watch out with those ginger snaps, they are major carbs and create lots of gas.

Off-topic but...
LARP, cool -- WoD? I used to do Vampire between oWoD and nWoD, went to Mage and Changeling but my group has since moved on. We did mostly tabletop for a while but now pretty much everyone has parted ways. I'm going to move across the country soon, first thing on my list is to find a new group of RP friends.
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #11  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post

Off-topic but...
LARP, cool -- WoD? I used to do Vampire between oWoD and nWoD, went to Mage and Changeling but my group has since moved on. We did mostly tabletop for a while but now pretty much everyone has parted ways. I'm going to move across the country soon, first thing on my list is to find a new group of RP friends.
Check out the White Wolf website when you move a lot of groups are listed there, I actually play full LARP with Vampire the Requeim and Werewolf and a more tabletop kind with Changeling. Yes I am a Nerd and Love it.