Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Chat: Week of June 7 - June 13

Alas, even though early morning Meg is on travel the thread shall start.

We've had rain so heavy we were out looking for Noah's Ark, LOL. Trees are down and branches are in the roads.

Today's goal is to get to gym squeezed between work and an evening event. I've missed that one before and had to shift my gym days to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - which doesn't work out so well and can lead to only two gym sessions for the week.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning everyone!

Bill You are an early one! Thanks for starting the thread while Meg is away. Sounds like quite a storm in your area. Hope you get your gym session in!

I'm fortunate in that I have the space to set up a weight training situation at home. I have no excuse to not get to the gym - it's in my basement. But the results I get with my small amount of equipment are not comparable to those from the real gym. I think the Pilates once a week will help with that. I really am a jock now - workouts 7 days a week! This is the person who dodged gym class since senior public school and dropped it ASAP in high school.

Plus I am determined to get out for some bike rides this week. I don't like riding in thunderstorms so tonite and tomorrow nite will likely be biking nights. I have two tours booked for my September vacation and I'm determined to be ready!

And I have a kayak - don't know when I'll fit that in. Living in a big city is wonderful - so much to do! But it's hard to prioritize . I want it all !

Yoga morning today. Great Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning maintainers! Swim team practice first for me, and then to the gym. Have a healthy day!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #4  
No description available.

Good gravy, Bill! Your time stamp on my computer reads 2:21 am! Good morning and happy Monday, everyone! Supposed to be triple digits here. Ahhhh......
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! Midwife and Ward!

Bill, if you go to the gym after work, what are you doing up so early?

Dagmar, have fun at pilates!

Ate too much last night at cooking club. Wasn't stuffed, but it was still too much. On the upside, I had a really good brick workout on Saturday. Made it about 12.5 miles in my 1 hour bike ride and managed to keep a pace of 12:16/mile for the half hour run afterward. Much better than Thursday's very slow 45-min run. Hopefully today's run will be good too, the weather is nice.

It finally cooled down to more normal temperatures here. High of 76 today, yay! We turned off the A/C and opened all the windows. While we were having breakfast this morning Carter was in his usual position, sitting by the window in the library, leaning on the wall, with his head sitting on the sill, sniffing like crazy out the window. He likes having the windows open so he can sniff!

I suggested to my homeowners association that they mark off one lane of the pool for lap swimming during certain hours (when the pool is not crowded) so that people can swim laps without worrying about kids crossing back and forth in front of them. They said no. I sent an email this morning asking if they could explain why. If he writes back that "the pool is for kids" I will explode. Sadly my neighborhood is a little too family-friendly to the point where all of the common things are considered "for kids." Except for the part where those of us with no kids also pay homeowners fees and want to use the common areas and pools too.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

UGH this month has been frustrating so far. So many events. June is always a tough month with end of school picnic, my birthday, anniversary, father's day, and it seems a lot of kids hold their birthdays until now, moms club banquet. Sigh.

I think a couple weeks of maintenance at THIS weight will be all I can hope for and then get back on it after the insanity passes.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #7  
Workin' It

Good morning... Decent weekend food and exercise wise. DH & I went on a 'couples date' last night with a couple he knows. We don't have a lot of friends with similar interests to us, well really, don't have a lot of friends we hang out with at all. Anyone see that Friend's episode where Monica & Chandler were looking for adults to hang out with and they met that couple that didn't really like them and Monica kept calling and calling? I felt kind of like that - I don't know that I was very dynamic in conversation last night and this morning I'm wondering if they thought I was bland... DH is great in social situations and tends to do most of the talking. I used to be really good at it, too, but the last few years I haven't been so good... This morning I've wondered if I should call or email but I don't want to be Monica... Sigh. It might not be as bad as I though, I don't know...

Ennay - it is tough when you have a month full of social stuff going on. Good luck.

Jessica - that is annoying about the pool. I would think that they could rope a piece off during non-peak.

Dagmar - you are rocking the exercise!

Bill - wow you are up early!

to everyone I missed!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning all!

We had a nice weekend, but I wish I had another 3 day weekend! I might be taking Friday off because my friend and her kids are coming for the weekend and I don't know when they'll arrive on Friday. I'll have to do a little planning and shopping ahead of time.

My friend's daughter's cat had her kittens. Six of them, five black with slight white markings and one whitish (the mom looks like a Siamese, but isn't, so it's that kind of color). We'll go see them in a week or so to take our pick. DS is kind of excited but doesn't want to think of a name until he knows if he'll be getting a girl or boy kitten. I guess we ought to start buying things for it. Specifically a cat box. I saw the COOLEST cat box the other day--it was constructed in an IKEA 2-door cabinet. You open the doors and the cat box slides out for easy cleaning, they installed a mat outside that to catch kitty litter on the feet and then they installed a flap door. It would certainly keep the dogs out of the cat's "business" (that's the #1 thing I fear about my dogs and the new kitty).

Shannon~I think you're being too hard on yourself.

Ennay~good luck with all those parties. Sounds like a challenge.

Jessica~poop about the pool rules. And I'm glad it cooled off for you. It's supposed to be 110 here today but cooling later in the week. We actually had to turn on our AC Saturday and Sunday and left it on today (usually this time of year we rely solely on our evaporative cooler). Saturday before we turned it on, I was physically sick from the heat and slept for 3 hours. That is so abnormal for me.

Dagmar~I looked at that Pilates thing you used--I want one!!

Hi to everyone else (and Bill's time stamp for me was 1:21 AM--did you even sleep?).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Bill, I’m thinking you look like the earlier riser. I hate changing my workout schedule to accommodate life so I can see how you’d try to avoid that.

Dagmar, I love having all my exercise equipment in my house. I’d hate to go to a gym. Time is saved when it’s right there. That helps you in all the things you want to do.

Midwife, I love hot, hot, hot. I’ll trade our perhaps high of 70 degrees. Can I interest you in that trade???

Jessica, the pool is for kids??? Do the kids pay the home assc fees? Perhaps the kidless should get a rebate so you can pay for a gym pool.

Allison, how cool you get to see your new kitty from Day 1.

I’m guessing I should work at work. Have a great Monday everyone!
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi to everyone!
LOL at your Monica/Friends episode Shannon! I love Friends and that episode is hilarious!! Dh doesn't have any friends except work friends and my friends aren't local (my close ones) so we don't do any couples socializing either.

Hi to everyone else! I'm in a panicked, crazy mode this week so I'll be lucky to check in. I feel the stress in my back and I just get this overwhelmed feeling when way too much is going on. It is primarily due to my job as there is no way I can get my inventory done before school ends-- I'm in a race against time! I also started my summer school class today which requires a TON of reading and work!

And my stomach isn't liking the iron pills for the anemia. I knew it wouldn't. Uggh.... I'm going to back down to one pill a day-- the doctor said I should take two "if possible" but the recommended dosage on the bottle is one so I'm hoping that is enough. I'll try to up the iron in my diet as well.

Off to the library shelves!! I want the Elves and the Shoemaker to magically appear-- the elves can do my inventory overnight (and put away the THOUSANDS of books that aren't even on the shelves yet but need to go there).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

My dad leaves for his annual summer "vacation" in Estonia tomorrow. He won't be back until September.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Jessica, that stinks about the pool! Do you know of anyone else who would want the lap lane? Maybe if a few of you are requesting it, they'll give it a second thought.

Marie, if Midwife does not want to trade weather with you, sign me up! I love the 70's, 80's are ok - but it's been about 105 here the past few days - a bit much for me.

Michele, I used to take iron pills when I was a vegetarian and my stomach did not like them at all...even the "gentle on the stomach" formula. Are you taking the ones that are supposed to be the "gentle iron"? They're a little more pricey but definitely were easier on my stomach.

Shannon, I'm sure you're not as bad as Monica in that episode! =) I always worry about things like that, too, though.

Dagmar, I am another one-time exercise avoider. I'd do ANYTHING to get out of gym class in high school! And now I think, wow, how much better I would have felt back then if I'd been embracing the workouts.

Bill, I hope you get your workout squeezed in!

I missed the boat on the June 1 fresh start, but I think now is as good a time as any! Saturday I was planning a healthy picnic when my BF got home with chicken fingers, potato wedges, and cookies. I couldn't resist. I'd be more forgiving of myself if I'd been keeping up with my workouts and if I didn't then proceed to eat Chinese for dinner on Sunday. That is NOT maintenance behavior! I am ok with treating myself, but not all the time and not if I am not working out!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Iris-- yes, I'm taking "Slow FE" which is supposed to be easier on the stomach and I'm taking stool softeners with it.

woo hoo Dagmar!!! I'm going to be with my in-laws for several weeks this summer and I'm already worrying about it. I don't know how you do it! And my in-laws are pretty good overall....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #14  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Michele, I'm anemic as well and take iron 2X a day. My stomach some days is normal, and others not. I take the softeners too. Mostly when I have loads of veges and fruits are the days I don't have as much problems. I also found that daily yogurt helped a bunch. Too bad I don't like it... except the high fat full sugar variety.

Iris, ok, we're in for a trade. Do you know the email address for the weather gods so we can put our order in???

Dagmar, enjoy your fatherless summer. Did you ever think of suggesting to him to bring your DH with?
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Michele, how about good old Geritol? I have occasionally had anemia, and I don't have any bad side effects from Geritol. Ask your doctor about it. It also has B vitamins in it, which is a bonus.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote