100 lb. Club - 40lbs in 4 months?

View Full Version : 40lbs in 4 months?

ShellydeFlores
06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
This is a long story and I explain it better in my blog but basically my mother, whom I haven't seen in over 2 years, is coming to visit for her high school reunion (40th).The last time I saw my mother I had gained close to 50 lbs and that was heart breaking to see the disgust in her face but since then I have gained another 50 lbs. Her reuinion is at the end of October and she wants to spend a couple a days with me. I know that losing 40 lbs won't make much of a difference in comparison to the way she saw me last time but at least it is something.

Anyway, I know it isn't necessarily the healthiest thing to do although 40 lbs in 4 months is my plan. I'm sure there are several people who would object but I'm wondering if there are others out there who have done the same thing or know of good tips.

Thanks.

therex
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Ive lost 40 pounds in 3 months, but i don't think it was done in the best manner. I've straightened up a bit this past month and a half, eating about 1,300 cal but before i would eat around 300. That being said, i don't know if it can be done at a healthy pace, but i'm sure if you try really hard you can lose a lot in 4 months.

Shmead
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Starting at 280, 40 in 4 months isn't crazy at all. You will need to be On Plan, but don't starve yourself: I'd start at 2000 calories.

ShellydeFlores
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
-My doctor has had me on a plan for 1500 calories a day although another thing that hinders me is PCOS. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get back on Metformin which will hopefully assist in losing weight as well.

Lyn2007
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
I think you should give it a shot, as long as you're eating healthy, but don't be upset if you lose 30 or even 20. Anything is better than nothing, right? I am sure you can lose a significant amount in 4 months :)

mizb1978
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Actually averaged out 40 lbs in 4 months is only 2 lbs a week. That isn't unreasonable. I currently have been working on losing weight and have lost 14 lbs. in five weeks.

ShellydeFlores
06-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Lyn and Mixb-Thanks. It is very nice to know that I have support in this. I was a little concerned about what other dieters would think and whether I would be shunned for wanting to attempt 40 lbs in 4 months. It's golliath!

How much exercise a day do you think I should be doing in order to make sure to lose an average of 2 lbs a week?

alyssarof2012
06-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't see how 2 lbs a week is equal to 10 lbs a month....

Anyways, this is not a crazy unrealistic goal. I myself am striving for the same weight loss.. Good luck!

mizb1978
06-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry i should have been clearer. I counted weeks and actually it is closer to five months. She said end of October? I count 20 weeks.

But I digress, I have been doing an average of 20 - 25 min exercise every other day or five time a week.

But your results will differ.

alyssarof2012
06-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Ahh okay. I see now. That is about right if it's 20 weeks rather than bluntly 4 months.

Thanks for clarifying!

jennylou
06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I started my new way of eating at the end of March and have since lost 41 pounds (WI on Wednesdays). I don't think that 40 pounds in four months is too fast or unhealthy. I'm a pcos gal as well and am low carbing it.

ShellydeFlores
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
jennylou- what is your new way of eating. Since you are PCOS as well you know the dificulty with this. I am doing a quick one day fast-as soon as it arrives in the mail- that is designated to rid me of a my cravings for carbs. I'm hoping it will help but I set a goal of starting my hard card exercise as of Saturday and still haven't done it. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow morning and am seriosuly considering asking him to put me on Phentermine-which he has refused to in the past. I'm THAT desperate. Please share with me some of your tricks and new ways! Please?

RoseRR
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
If you eat right and exercise is totally doable..........

Onederchic
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I think success would come from being spot on with your plan and not veering off it.

FitGirlyGirl
06-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Shelly - You say that you are going to the doc tomorrow to get back on metformin. I have PCOS too and let me suggest that you ask the doc about a medicine called Januvia. That is what they put me on and I love it. It works and it doesn't have the side effects of metformin. I had a very mild headache for the first day or 2 I was on it and then no side effects at all since then. Almost all of my PCOS symptoms are gone these days. I have been on it about a year. It is a diabetes medication, like metformin, but they are starting to give it to PCOS patients as well.

Also, I don't think that 40 pounds by the end of October sounds crazy at all and I wish you luck.

StellarGirl
06-07-2010, 04:33 AM
I lose about 10 lbs. a month--totally possible. I stay at 1200 calories and count everything! you can do it! just stay on plan! Good luck!

rockinrobin
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Anyway, I know it isn't necessarily the healthiest thing to do although 40 lbs in 4 months is my plan. I'm sure there are several people who would object but I'm wondering if there are others out there who have done the same thing or know of good tips.

Isn't the healthiest thing? Oh but it IS. It IS!!! What could possibly be healthier than shedding the weight? In fact *they* say that no longer being obese is the healthiest thing one can do for oneself. It used to be that quitting smoking was the top health thing to do for oneself, and now they say that getting down to a healthy weight is.

And I think that given your starting weight is IS doable and VERY healthy, provided that you consume HEALTHY calories. Lots of veggies, whole grains, low fat proteins, such as egg whites, chicken and turkey breast, fish, no fat dairy products and some fruits.

I have in fact lost that amount in that time, actually I lost quite a bit more. Tips? STICK with your plan. Make the decision to do this, commit to do this - and than get out there and get it done. The biggest tip though would be to PLAN AHEAD. You must have a plan in place in order for this to work. Map out your food schedule IN ADVANCE. Know where every meal, snack, morsel and crumb is coming from. Take no chances! Don't wing it. It's too easy to go off plan if you don't have one. And believe me, that is the key here - sticking to it. It won't work if you don't stick with it. Consistency. Consistency. Consistency.

Find great, healthy, delicious low calorie things to eat. Be creative. Don't dread this - but enjoy it and revel in the wonderful changes you are about to make that can literally transform your life.

I will caution you though, I know for me, I was never WILLING to stick to a sensible plan for someone else. It had to be about me. I was the one who got sick and tired of living in a super morbidly obese body. I had had enough. I wanted better. I was done settling for an inferior quality of life when a higher one was available.

I guess I'm trying to say that you really, really, REALLY have to want this. If you want to use your mom's trip as motivation to get you started - well by all means. Whatever you've got to do to get the ball rolling. Because really, that is the hardest part - starting. But once you start, once you get into it - you will see it gets easier and easier.

You definitely have the ability to do this. You ARE capable of it. You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. You CAN do this. I look forward to hearing of your progress. :)

Terre
06-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I have lost 65lbs in 4 1/2 months. Alot has to do with how much over weight you are when you start.

The day I started I walked a half a mile. Every day I would add a little I am up to 3 miles a day.
I walk 5 days a week. I was basically bedridden for 2 years. I kicked myself in the butt and decided only ME could help myself. So I wake up everyday and tell myself I will do this.

I have 2 blood disorders. One is very rare and is just like lukemia and makes me VERY tired. The other is Polycythemia. and that makes my blood too thick and too big and too much.
I know TMI but I just wanna stress if I can do this ANYONE can!!!

Low fat, low carb and 1300-1400 calories a day is what I eat. Lots of veggies and a little fruit.

I am PCOS as well. I also have AN which makes me insulin resistant. I have to really be strick on myself.

Just make up your mind that you are going to eat a certain way, excercise a certain way and do it. Only YOU are the one that controls you. Just know there is hundreds of people here all the time for support.

Good luck...

Eliana
06-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Girlygirl, thanks for the info on the PCOS meds. I had not heard of that one!

And Shelly, either Met or the one Girlygirl mentioned should indeed help shed some pounds a bit, but it is NOT a weight loss drug.

I can't wait to hear about how much you are able to lose in four months! I think 40 is a very reasonable amount given your starting weight. I lost 30 in the first two months.

My only caution is to ask yourself today, will I feel successful if I "only" lose 20 pounds in four months? Would that make me quit because I didn't meet my goal? If the answer is "yes", you may want to re-think giving yourself that timeline. If, however, you can still feel successful with a very awesome 20 pounds lost, then great! Shoot for the moon!

Smiling_Sara
06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
This is a long story and I explain it better in my blog but basically my mother, whom I haven't seen in over 2 years, is coming to visit for her high school reunion (40th).The last time I saw my mother I had gained close to 50 lbs and that was heart breaking to see the disgust in her face but since then I have gained another 50 lbs. Her reuinion is at the end of October and she wants to spend a couple a days with me. I know that losing 40 lbs won't make much of a difference in comparison to the way she saw me last time but at least it is something.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, but this thread kind of makes me sad. I hope you have a nice visit with your mom, but no mom should be disgusted by their childs weight.

How about just starting to eat healthy, excersize, and what you lose, you lose. It's good to have goals, but 40 pounds in 4 months when you are just starting out seems steep to me. Everyones body reacts to different forms of weight loss stragedies. It's kind of trail and error, esp in the beg.

Good Luck

Avezy44
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I lost 40 in 3 months, I think in the beginning you will lose quite a bit. Good luck :)

mizb1978
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry, but this thread kind of makes me sad. I hope you have a nice visit with your mom, but no mom should be disgusted by their childs weight.

I was thinking this myself after I posted orginally.

Knowing why you want to lose weight is crucial for success. Though I think long-term you will find that doing it for yourself and not your mom, who doesn't seem like she is someone to "impress", will achieve more results. I think your goal is good, but make sure you are losing weight and getting healthy for the right reason, and not to make her happy! :hug:

ubergirl
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
jennylou- what is your new way of eating. Since you are PCOS as well you know the dificulty with this. I am doing a quick one day fast-as soon as it arrives in the mail- that is designated to rid me of a my cravings for carbs. I'm hoping it will help but I set a goal of starting my hard card exercise as of Saturday and still haven't done it. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow morning and am seriosuly considering asking him to put me on Phentermine-which he has refused to in the past. I'm THAT desperate. Please share with me some of your tricks and new ways! Please?

Shelly--

I just checked my fitday and I lost 51 lbs between June 19th and October 16th of 2009. (four months)

I am about your height and started at 295. So I think with your start weight that amount of weight is feasible for the first five months. I am not a fast loser in general, and I'm 48 years old, but I did lose quickly for the first five months or so...

I did not do any special tricks. I started exercising 3- 5 days per week for half an hour-- I did swimming. I limited myself to 1200 cals per day (and that is low, but enough for a person of my age and activity level) I cut out the following foods: rice, pasta, baked goods, sugary sweets, and salty snacks, and no more than two servings of fruit and one serving of bread.
Most of my calories came from lean protein (chicken and fish) and veggies. I ate single serving snacks that were filling, like cheese stick, small yogurt, apple.

Most importantly-- I stuck to my plan like GLUE!!!! I made sure that I would not be stuck in a situation where I couldn't eat on plan and I did not go off plan at all, ever, even for a special occasion.

I did not sustain that rate of loss all year, my rate slowed down considerably after the first fifty pounds, but I don't think it was unhealthy to lose that fast at first-- there are lots of people on 3FC who lose faster than me!!

I just want to add that I agree with the other posters who say that you really need to think about why you want to lose weight, but it is terrible that you feel your mom made a disgusted face... honestly, I used to think my mom and dad hated me for being fat, and it did not help me to think that way-- it kept me kind of trapped, because part of me wanted to get thin, and a deeper part of me wanted to force them to love me the way I was...

The sad thing is that they always did love me the way I was... they just worried about me... but I needed to get over my OWN ISSUES in order to lose weight. Whenever your desire to lose weight is all about trying to please another person, I think it is MUCH harder to succeed.

playfullyme
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I think it's totally do-able, but I think you should focus on smaller goals like simply sticking on plan every day and trying to get in exercise 4 or more days a week. The weight should just come right off. That is what I have done and I've lost 49 lbs in 22 weeks or 5 months (jan 8th - june 7th), and I had almost an entire month of May that I did not eat very well. So, it could have been even more had I stuck on plan during May. I do give myself some freedom and have some special meals and typically don't count calories on Sundays. My calories started at 2400 and now I'm down to 2000.

I think checking out my fitness pal or sparkpeople is a great idea if you are on the computer a lot. :D

tigerchild
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Shelly!

I think losing 40 lbs in 20 weeks is doable and not dangerous! I have my doc and a dietician on my team, they said losing 1-2 lbs per week after the first month is healthy, as long as I make sure that my nutrition is good and that I'm willing to do 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, and strength training as well. (I have some athletic goals, so maybe that's why they recommended that level of activity. I do know that if you crash diet you will lose as much muscle as fat without the activity, which may or may not be important to you.)

I am on a 1600 calorie plan and am contemplating bumping it up to 1800 (waiting until after I talk to my dietician and doctor again next week) because my weight loss is still rapid, and I don't want to develop gallstones or other problems.

I have tried many diets, this is the first "easy" success I have had staying on plan and honestly I think it's because I'm approaching it from the exercise mindset. Before I have lost 25 lbs before and not even gone down a size. I started my exercise plan 3 weeks ago, and I've already gone down a size even though I have really only lost around 12 lbs since I started that plan. People noticed a lot sooner this time too, I think because of my posture improvements and how stuff "fit".

I totally understand with the parental motivation. My parents are obsessed with appearances. I was a thin kid, and they loved to flaunt me until I gained weight in my late 20s. But even when I was thin, they are and remain pretty hypercritical people. So I would gently say to you that I wonder if your issues with your mom really aren't about the weight, though it's a safe thing for both of you to focus on. Be careful here. If you crash diet and lose the weight but are still pretty out of shape and have the same posture and confidence, will she notice? What is your plan if she doesn't notice or say anything?

It's good to have a short term goal. I think appearance related goals are fine. But I guess I am just worried that you are motivating yourself over something that you really do NOT have any control over (your mom's thoughts about your weight and how she responds to you). When I have done that it always backfires because when the person that I really want to be proud of me and show me they love me doesn't do that it makes me want to throw in the towel.

So just think hard about this, okay? If your mom's visit is going to give you a challenge to make a goal that you *already want for YOURSELF* then that's fine, and it's kind of fun to have something finite and tangible to use if that helps. But you know, you deserve to have your mom not act "disgusted" with you RIGHT NOW. Or if you lose 5 or 10 lbs. Maybe you are reading something in there that's not there, but if you aren't--then I would really caution you about thinking that weight loss is going to repair that. I know it didn't work for me.

But you CAN do this!!! As PP said, make your plan, and stick to it. Make sure you guard the time you need to do this (for exercise, for making your food plan, extra shopping, ect). Don't get sidetracked by setbacks!

ShellydeFlores
06-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I definitely appreciate everyone's advice although I feel a need to explain a bit further my goal. I was intending to lose about 50 lbs by Halloween anyway so that I could fit in to a halloween costume I bought 2 years ago-I didn't mention this. When my mother decided to drop the news she was going to visit, it was just adding fuel to the fire. I already want to lose this weight as badly as any other woman here. In my mother's defense- she has always seen me as the athletic basketball and track superstar so for her to see me 100 lbs overweight really took a toll on her becasue she knows I have been struggling with the changes in my body-both externally and internally. It hurt her just as much as it hurt me to see what I had allowed myself to become. Appearance is very important in my family and my mother understands that I am doing this for myself-as do I.

Again, thank you for everyone's worries and advice. It is VERY much appreciated!

mizb1978
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I definitely appreciate everyone's advice although I feel a need to explain a bit further my goal. I was intending to lose about 50 lbs by Halloween anyway so that I could fit in to a halloween costume I bought 2 years ago-I didn't mention this. When my mother decided to drop the news she was going to visit, it was just adding fuel to the fire. I already want to lose this weight as badly as any other woman here. In my mother's defense- she has always seen me as the athletic basketball and track superstar so for her to see me 100 lbs overweight really took a toll on her becasue she knows I have been struggling with the changes in my body-both externally and internally. It hurt her just as much as it hurt me to see what I had allowed myself to become. Appearance is very important in my family and my mother understands that I am doing this for myself-as do I.

Again, thank you for everyone's worries and advice. It is VERY much appreciated!

Good luck with your journey, sounds like you are ready to do this! I hope to see good result posts soon!