100 lb. Club - Interesting info on cereals

View Full Version : Interesting info on cereals

FitGirlyGirl
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Ok, I'm not saying everyone should go out and switch to cookie crisp right this second, but in comparison it is not nearly as bad as one would think. Hubby and I have looked at other cereals too and many of the ones you would think are terrible aren't nearly as bad as one might think, and like the cookie crisp, are in some ways better than our "healthy" cereals. So, while I do not plan for it to be my cereal every morning, I did get some cookie crisp and I had some for breakfast today. Hubby compared granola with pop tarts and became confused and disgusted, he thinks you should try it. The moral of the story: before denying yourself your favorite breakfast cereal, you should read the label to see if you really need to do so.

Special K Protein Plus
29g serving
Calories: 100
Fat: 3
Sat. Fat: 0.5
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 110
Potassium: 320
Total Carb: 14
Fiber: 5
Sugar: 2
Protein: 10
Calcium: 4%
Folic Acid: 35%

Rice Chex
27g serving
Fat: 0
Sat. Fat: 0
Sodium: 240
Potassium: 30
Total Carb: 23
Fiber: 0
Sugar: 2
Protein: 2
Calcium: 10%
Folic Acid: 50%

Cookie Crisp
27g serving
Fat: 1
Sodium: 150
Potassium: 40
Total Carb: 23
Fiber: 1
Sugar: 10
Protein: 1
Calcium: 10%
Folic Acid: 25%

All-Bran Bran Buds
30g serving
Calories: 70
Fat: 1
Sodium: 200
Potassium: 300
Total Carb: 24
Fiber: 13
Sugar: 8
Protein: 2
Calcium: 0%
Folic Acid: 100%

Mellington
06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Ohh yea when I did WW i used to eat corn pops cause I got more for the same points value as healthy stuff

rockinrobin
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
There's something about cereal that gives me this horrible uncontrollable "can't shovel it in my mouth fast enough" sensation.

Though Cookie Crisp IS better than some other cereals, for me, it's no where near good enough. In fact it's awful. At 10 grams of sugar per serving, that is more than double the amount of what is considered a low sugar item. And me, I NEED low sugar. Without a doubt this would definitely bring on that *sensation* for me. It's basically cookies in a bowl. I'd be through that box in minutes flat. It also provides negligible fiber and negligible protein, which means I would be STARVING just a very short time after eating it. It has ZERO filling power. For me this would not work. My calories MUST work for me. I need to be full and satisfied from my cals. I also need them to stave off cravings for junk, not bring on cravings for junk, which is what this cereal would make happen.

I do agree that there are cereals that many people would consider to be healthy, which are really not all that healthy - like granola and even Raisin Bran.

But *for me*, this is NOT the breakfast of champions and no way to begin my day.

Eliana
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I agree with Robin, definitely. I can not start my day with cereal and I knew this way before I started this journey. Cereal makes me ravenous within 45 minutes of eating it. The only cereal I do ok with is Fiber One, specifically the "rabbit food" looking variety.

But...I just picked up some Cracklin' Oat Bran for my kids to snack on instead of chips, and also some Bran Chex. I figure it's better for them. We'll see how it goes.

mizb1978
06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Yes, I definitely look at the labels of all cereals, though many don't fill me up or keep me going all morning. I also look at not only the weight of the serving, but the amount. I see like my special K red berries is 1 cup, where as my fave, reeses puffs is only 3/4 of a cup. More of a mind trick, but I trick myself into thinking I am getting more with the red berries.

but this has me thinking about other foods... HMMMM I will have to read labels a little closer!

I would be interested to see what his outcome for the granola/pop tart comparison is... I for one cannot just have ONE pop tart. If I open a pack I have to eat both!

CanadianCutie
06-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I must be getting old, but the "healthy and or plain" cereals taste better to me than the sugar laden ones. As I kid I loved Lucky Charms, but now I just can't stand it. I think it's the texture of the "marshmallows". I much prefer a bowl of bran flakes or fiber one. I'll add some fresh strawberries, banana or blueberries to it, or just eat it plain.
When I have kids no sugar laden cereal for them.

rockinrobin
06-06-2010, 01:33 PM
The only cereal I do ok with is Fiber One, specifically the "rabbit food" looking variety.

This is the case with me as well.

There used to be a time when the plain Kashi Go Lean was also a safe bet, but that is no longer the case. Or if it is at this point I wouldn't know, would need to experiment with it, as I banned it over a year ago.

FitGirlyGirl
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
mizb1978 - What he found was not that poptarts are ok for you, it was that most granolas are just as bad. Considering the way granola is marketed as a healthy alternative, it made him kinda mad and he was disgusted with the granola people.

I understand that cereal in general and things like cookie crisp specifically are not for everyone. That's why I started out my post saying that I was not suggesting everyone go switch right now. I'm trying it though, and so far I'm doing ok. I subbed it in in place of my rice chex and left my breakfast otherwise the same, and I was satisfied with my 1 serving of cookie crisp and was full until time for lunch.

Lyn2007
06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
My teens were raised on cereal and are used to eating it before running out the door to school. I so pretty much try to buy cereals that have *some* redeeming value, like fiber or protein or just low sugar. I mostly buy frosted mini wheats, Kix, plain Life, Cheerios (normal ones), and occasionally raisin bran even tho its high in sugar because I figure the fiber is good for them.

Label reading is so important!

girlonfire
06-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I LOVE Kashi GoLean cereals. It walks the fine line between being too good and I want multiple bowls and tasting like cardboard. It has all natural ingredients. It is worth the extra cost to me. A good stand-by breakfast is 1 cup GoLean, 1/2 cup light soymilk, and 1/2 a banana. Fills me right up!

What is cookie crisp? I was not allowed sugar cereal growing up...

mizb1978
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
mizb1978 - What he found was not that poptarts are ok for you, it was that most granolas are just as bad. Considering the way granola is marketed as a healthy alternative, it made him kinda mad and he was disgusted with the granola people.

Interesting. I never buy pop tarts, because of the above mentioned eating two servings at once thing. I also have never bought straight granola. I do like granola bars however. I will have to do a compare to see how they stack up!

mollymai
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I can't remember where I heard this, but the first five ingredients are the most important when it comes to cereal and if sugar is in the first five it is high in sugar.

Onederchic
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Interesting info, thanks. I rarely eat cereal though but now I am wanting a big bowl lol :D

mollymai
06-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Interesting info, thanks. I rarely eat cereal though but now I am wanting a big bowl lol :D

ROFLMAO :D

Trazey34
06-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a bowl of cheerios practically every morning (and a few spoons of cottage cheese- NOT together ewwww lol) and stay full til noon. I LOVE cereal it's a perfect food IMO lol, starting the day, or coming home late and not time to make something - a bowl of cereal and cold milk, awesome! Kashi GoLean Crunch is crazy good, but I only have it once in a blue moon if it's on sale. Cheerios is my go-to. Just plain old Cheerios.

But yes, the marketing for 'healthy' stuff is kind of silly -- like GRANOLA BARS lol, they're just masquerading as a healthy alternative, but they're really a chocolate bar!!!

ubergirl
06-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Well... ok, I have to be honest.

I can't see one single nutritionally redeeming thing about it...

I just took a quick peek at the Cookie Crisp website, which revealed that not only is sugar among the first five ingredients-- ALL FIVE OF THE FIRST FIVE INGREDIENTS are forms of sugar: whole grain corn, sugar, corn syrup, chocolate flakes (sugar...) etc...

From a nutritional stand point, I don't see much difference between pouring a bowl of Cookie Crisp and sitting down with a bag of jelly beans, a vitamin pill, and a glass of milk.

For example:

Jelly Bellies: 27gm serving size 108 calories, 21 gms of sugar.

And I'm sure you CAN lose weight by incorporating Jelly Bellies into your diet, or Cookie Crisp, or whatever, but it seems probably helpful to think of it more as a splurgey snack and less as....

BREAKFAST-- YIKES!

Ok, yes, I freely confess this is my inner Mom speaking...

You may carry on...;)

astrophe
06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Cookie Crisp wouldn't make my list. 10 g sugar per serving is too much. That's 50% of the carbs in this item.

12g is dessert already and I couldn't go with just a 1 oz serving of cereal.

At 2000 cal I only get 32 g sugar per day (just under 3 tbsp) and I'm not spending 10 g of it up at breakfast end on cereal. I want to hoard it for my coffee (1 tbsp) and post workout ice cream/popsicle (2 tbs) in this heat!

Actually even the healthier cold cereals got booted from my breakfast list. Not enough "fullness" bang for the calorie "buck." I'd rather take hot cereal like oatmeal.

A.

spaghetticat
06-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Calorie wise a lot of cereals are really low for a sweet snack, but you do miss out on things like fiber and such. I was just reading an article about cereal marketed as healthy but it is not.. I am not sure where I was reading it.

If a sweet bowl of cereal works for you and whatever plan you are on, more power to you! I LOVE cereal but actually also love oatmeal, and since I found a lower carb version that fits my plan I eat it often.

You are totally right, don't deny yourself something without reading the labels and pick and choose what works for you! :)

Arctic Mama
06-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I make homemade granola with nuts, coconut, some raisins, and a lot of cinnamon. It IS hig in calories but also very high in healthy fat and fiber, and fairly low in sugar. It's addictive because it is deliciously, but it is still a bulky, whole food that doesn't screw with my blood sugar. That and some plain yogurt is fine by me :)

Karen925
06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
This is the case with me as well.

There used to be a time when the plain Kashi Go Lean was also a safe bet, but that is no longer the case. Or if it is at this point I wouldn't know, would need to experiment with it, as I banned it over a year ago.

Why did you switch from Kashi Go Lean to Fiber One?

alyssarof2012
06-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I love that cereal! I didn't ever consider it good in a healthy way though. Thanks for the info, its nice to know!

I'm not too worried about sugar intake. (I'm not big on knowledge as far as the negatives of sugar goes.) Though I don't eat a lot of sugar anyways. (Not processed anyway.)

gloo
06-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I eat cereal almost every weekday morning because it's easy to keep at the office and we get an endless supply of free milk there (skim, 2%, and 1/2 and 1/2...not too shabby).

I'm all about Fiber One raisin bran, which within an hour after eating makes my stomach go all reeoooowr on me. For the days I don't want to buckle over in moments of OMG this isn't going to be pretty, I stick to your generic bran flakes or with Cheerios. I love Cheerios. I'd (and have) eat Cheerios right of out the box.

We also picked up a box of Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran this weekend, which apparently my boyfriend ate quite a bit and loved back in the day.

1 cup =
cals: 90
fat: 1g
carb: 23g
dietary fiber: 5g
sugars: 6g
protein: 2g

Not the healthy healthiest, but it could be way worse. And I just opened the box as I'm typing and chomped down a few squares so I could give it a thumbs up or down. Definitely up. Dense and crunchy and reminiscent of peanut butter Cap'n Crunch only not ridiculously sweet. Strangely yummy.

The rare times I'm looking for an actual sweet & healthy cereal (is that an oxymoron?), I seek out those fruit flavored Cheerios, because they taste like Fruit Loops and dude. Froot Loops! I love me some Loops.

Zoesmama
06-07-2010, 01:12 AM
I used to love cereal but now I just don't even crave it. I think before it may have been the sugar I was addicted to and I didn't eat the most sugary ones either.

Occasionally I have a chewy granola bar but mostly lately I have fresh fruit for breakfast. Its okay to have every now and then if you like it. Eat the one you want but I do not believe it is a nutritious daily breakfast.

Its great to be able to enjoy your favorite at the equal or near equal cost(points or calories wise) but reading labels I do agree is a really great thing to do. It helps you become aware of what you are eating and where you want to chose your calories based on the nutritional bulk of it not just the points or calories. Just thinking of the avocado is one. The calories and fat are so high you may immediately turn away but when you observe the real nutrition facts it may be more calories than my granola bar or even my cereal but it has far more nutrition to calories. The good stuff out weighs the calories and fat even because the fat is a good healthy fat most Americans eating the standard diet are deficient in.

Glory87
06-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Sadly, after Kashi Go LeanGate 2007, I have banned almost all cold cereal. I can't be trusted with it. It's one of my biggest trigger foods.

I do sometimes buy Pumpkin flax granola (http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=179660&prrfnbr=192394), but I know it's high in calories (I am under no illusions it's low fat or low calorie or especially healthy).

I carefully sprinkle a measured portion on top of my yogurt/fruit breakfast. For some reason, that doesn't seem to trigger the "oh, just pour ANOTHER BOWL" feeling that a bowl of cold cereal and milk does.

I wouldn't eat Cookie Crisp or Pop Tarts or heck, pastry store scones for breakfast any more. I just don't eat that stuff anymore. And I really can't do it for breakfast - sugary sweet carby food would set me off all day. I get this weird hollow achy empty stomach feeling that just can't be filled. I hate that!

girlonfire
06-07-2010, 02:24 AM
I have never eaten a PopTart or cookie crisp or very many sugared cereals(except Coco puffs on our birthdays...always healthy cereal and we never put sugar on it) and it's interesting to see how big of a trigger food it can be. I am so ignorant, I never would have even *thought* about cereal as a trigger to binge. (Ice cream is whole 'nother ball of wax though!). Cereal is one of the few foods I don't finish.

I hope this doesn't come across as braggy or anything, I definitely have my own trigger foods, such as ice cream(even soy or coconut, which is all my lactose-intolerant self can handle) and even pre-portioned ones are gone in a day so I definitely get it! I just find it interesting the vast array of triggering foods. Hope I don't seem rude or anything in this (once-again) over-long post :o

rockinrobin
06-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Why did you switch from Kashi Go Lean to Fiber One?

Because I started OVEReating the KAshi Go Lean. I ate a measured portion of it for months and months and months, but that didn't last. I found myself diving back into the box for more - and more. And that was it, it was time to say adios. Now the only cereal I eat is the Fiber One and I don't even eat it in a bowl with milk. I eat a measured portion of it IN my yogurt as a topping.

Cold cereal and me - we just don't get along. I am MUCH better off without it. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything though. There's lots of much better breakfast options out there.

It's very sad, because cereal is a BIG industry. They fortify it with this and with that and they have people believing that it is a good breakfast option, when for the most part, 99.9% of the stuff on the market, well, nothing could be further from the truth. It's sugar and empty calories in a box and starts children and people off on the wrong foot.

terraleigh77
06-07-2010, 07:22 AM
For me I need to be careful with the cereals I eat. Some , no matter how healthy they are , can cause mean mean sugar spikes. Right now I'm alternating between raisin nut bran and wheat chex. But I make sure I measure the servings out. Years ago before I started on the weight loss path, I would just dump a bunch in my bowl, Pour the milk over them and go lol. Now I measure the cereal , the milk and use 2 packets of splenda. My weekness is captain crunch , so I do not even buy it. And regarding pop tarts, I LOVE those things, but I can not even buy them any more.

Tara

PeanutsMom704
06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
I love cereal but while I don't get triggered by sugar in general, cereal seems to have that effect on me even when it's something like Barbara's Shredded Oats, which is low in sugar and high in fiber. I can munch on a few pieces dry (I always have a big around for my son, it's one of his favorite snacks to have), and that is ok, but once it's a bowlful and milk, I might as well write off the rest of the day at breakfast because it will be down hill from there.

Karen925
06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
. I eat a measured portion of it IN my yogurt as a topping.
Cold cereal and me - we just don't get along. I am MUCH better off without it. I don't feel as if I'm missing anything though. There's lots of much better breakfast options out there.

I get it now. The pull is not worth whatever I eat too. What do you top with yogurt & F1? Potato or is the yogurt sweet and it tops fruit? Maybe both. If this is way OT let me know that too.

rockinrobin
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I love cereal but while I don't get triggered by sugar in general, cereal seems to have that effect on me even when it's something like Barbara's Shredded Oats, which is low in sugar and high in fiber. I can munch on a few pieces dry (I always have a big around for my son, it's one of his favorite snacks to have), and that is ok, but once it's a bowlful and milk, I might as well write off the rest of the day at breakfast because it will be down hill from there.

For me, cereal is the worst, but I also have *issues* with other hard, crunchy, bite sized foods that aren't sweet - crackers is where I'm going with this. Another can't shove it in my mouth fast enough food - Wheat Thins in particular, but also Cheese nips, Ritz crackers, Saltines and plenty of others.

For me, it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to turn down the first bite than the second. I have a huge problem eating a moderate amount of these foods - my solution - don't start eating them. Problem solved. This

Karen, I don't use the yogurt as a topping - I eat Danon FF yogurt as a snack or breakfast. Vanilla is my favorite. I partially freeze it - about an hour in the freezer - and then I add in 1/4 cup of the Fiber One. It's granola-ish and I enjoy the crunch.

ladyrider72472
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I love Cookie Crisp, however, it does to me what it does to many others mentioned here. I am STARVING in just a little bit.... well, that is if I could stop myself from eating the entire box.

I would say count yourself blessed if you can stop at one serving. For me, I cannot have the first bite. :(

JustBeckyV
06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Oatmeal is about the only one that really sticks with me. If I eat any its usually one of the cheerio kinds or sometimes honey bunches. I typically have a little more with it htough.

WarMaiden
06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Comparing cereals, to me, is somewhat like comparing the nutritional information of a Snickers versus an Almond Joy :lol:

FitGirlyGirl
06-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Arctic Mama - I rarely have time to make granola, but I sometimes get some from one of my friends who does have time. Homemade is so much better, yummy! I put a tiny bit on my cottage cheese.

Karen - I like baked sweet potato with plain yogurt and All-Bran Bran Buds

I am sorry to hear so many people have issues with cereal being a trigger food for them. I'm lucky in the cereal department I guess. Sugar too is not as much of an issue for me as it is for many. Having a sweeter cereal in the morning doesn't cause me problems all day. For me cornbread is an issue as well as anything with BBQ sauce on it. I never meant to try to say that cookie crisp was healthy as some people apparently took me to mean. I was only saying that it is not as bad as one would think. I do not intend to have cookie crisp as my cereal every morning. I also don't eat only cereal for breakfast. My breakfast is 1 serving of cereal (1.5 if I'm going to work because I won't be able to get my morning snack), 8 oz. skim milk, 1 serving egg beaters, a slice off ff cheddar cheese, a light yogurt that has fruit chunks in it, and sometimes 8 oz. low sodium V8. I could never eat only cereal, or only eggs, or only fruit for breakfast. I need more balance and more food than that in the morning.

rockinrobin
06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I am sorry to hear so many people have issues with cereal being a trigger food for them. I'm lucky in the cereal department I guess. Sugar too is not as much of an issue for me as it is for many. Having a sweeter cereal in the morning doesn't cause me problems all day. For me cornbread is an issue as well as anything with BBQ sauce on it. I never meant to try to say that cookie crisp was healthy as some people apparently took me to mean. I was only saying that it is not as bad as one would think. I do not intend to have cookie crisp as my cereal every morning. I also don't eat only cereal for breakfast. My breakfast is 1 serving of cereal (1.5 if I'm going to work because I won't be able to get my morning snack), 8 oz. skim milk, 1 serving egg beaters, a slice off ff cheddar cheese, a light yogurt that has fruit chunks in it, and sometimes 8 oz. low sodium V8. I could never eat only cereal, or only eggs, or only fruit for breakfast. I need more balance and more food than that in the morning.

No need to be sorry. Luckily, we've been able to identify the problem and know what to do about it - avoid it like the plague!!! And again, luckily, it's not giving up or sacrificing anything as there are many other much more satisfying and healthier breakfast options.

It shows us once again that we are all individuals and all have to find what works for each of us - and what doesn't.

saef
06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Former cereal abuser here. [Raises hand.]

It's such an emotionally loaded trigger food for me. That's partly the problem. Those food companies, they really know what they are doing when they go after their market at such a young age & put cartoon characters all over the boxes. It conjures up childhood & feelings of being loved & watched over. Carrying the bowl into the living room & watching cartoons on Saturday. Plunging my hand inside & sifting through to retrieve the little plastic prizes. Cutting out Jackson 5 records from the back of the boxes. Nothing seems more fun & snacky & innocuous. And I think of my first apartment in college, a Victorian house shared with six other people, and how magically & quickly the Captain Crunch disappeared, this being a college student comfort food, when the deadline stress got to us & we wanted to retreat into our childhoods again.

And when exactly did people start eating so-called "cold" cereal? I mean, wasn't this basically an invention of someone in Battle Creek, Michigan, early in the 20th century? Originally, as a sort of health food? And who knew the baroque, sugary, strawberry & chocolate flavored, cartoon- and movie-franchise-affiliated lengths the stuff would be taken to?

Sorry, I can't go near it. Even the FiberOne that's like some kind of animal chow. It's almost beyond "triggering." Something greedy & childish takes over inside me & I don't even need milk on it. More, more, more. I'm shoving more in before I'm done chewing. This is scary to me.

Oatmeal. That's it. And even with that, I have to watch my desire for "toppings."

ubergirl
06-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Comparing cereals, to me, is somewhat like comparing the nutritional information of a Snickers versus an Almond Joy :lol:

LOL! My point exactly!:D

Plus, am realizing how grateful I am to my Mom that she never let sugared cereals into the house. I never developed a taste for them... My kids have never eaten them either....

Which is weird, because there are a lot of other things that are total binge triggers for me, like donuts, that my parents never fed me either....

I was raised eating really healthy, and I DO think it has helped me when I finally decided to stop binging, because I had a basically strong and healthy scaffolding of food preferences to draw upon.

Interestingly, I was in the store the other day with my teen daughter who really likes candy, and when my five-year-old pointed to the candy at the check out, she said to him, "that's yucky stuff, we don't like that stuff..." I guess she was thinking he'd be better off never to learn to like it at all. My kids used to comment that none of their friends parents ever ate candy and they wondered why I still liked it, LOL. Consequently, they all love candy too.

While restricting food for children can have really disastrous consequences, it does seem to be helpful to teach children never to develop a taste for some categories of processed food....

Interestingly, my kids all learned to dislike the stuff that I think of as disgusting junk-- snack cakes, sugary cereals, dip, processed cheese... they never really learned to think of that stuff as food.

Just something to think about.

FitGirlyGirl
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
uber - my nieces and nephews (and I will do the same with my kids) are simply taught that it's not good for you. They are taught the difference between good treats (fruit, dark chocolate, etc.) and the "bad for your body" junk. They also eat at the table (even for snacks), not in front of the television, so they learn the difference between food and entertainment. And while I (and my sister-in-law) will now allow myself to have the occasional treat because they are hard to give up, the kids are not exposed to them, so they will never have to give them up.

Terre
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I looove cold cereals...any kind and all kinds. For kids or adults it doesn't matter. I could eat a half a box in a sitting. That why when I changed my eating that was one of the things that had to go. just like chips, microwave popcorn, fried foods, alot of breads. I just know I can eat my weight in the things and have to stay away.

Now if I want popcorn, I have air pop popcorn. Chips, I get the baked ( i know not great but better) and bake everything which we seem to like better now. And bread have to be whole wheat/grain.

I am like a kid. If its here I will eat it so I just dont buy it. Outta sight outta mind :)

ubergirl
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
uber - my nieces and nephews (and I will do the same with my kids) are simply taught that it's not good for you. They are taught the difference between good treats (fruit, dark chocolate, etc.) and the "bad for your body" junk. They also eat at the table (even for snacks), not in front of the television, so they learn the difference between food and entertainment. And while I (and my sister-in-law) will now allow myself to have the occasional treat because they are hard to give up, the kids are not exposed to them, so they will never have to give them up.

This is a really good way to go...

I ALWAYS feed my kids at the table too, and feed them healthy food, but I was always really conflicted about restricting treats because of the fact that my own mom was really bad about restricting treats, and consequently I became a binge eater.

There seems to be a difference between learning not to eat certain foods because they're just "bad for you," like my kids and I never learned to eat sugary cereal, and being told that certain foods though delicious and irresistable, are "off-limits..."

Weird.

Something for me to mull over.

GirlyGirlSebas
06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Cutting out Jackson 5 records from the back of the boxes. I totally remember those! :D

ChrissyBean
06-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm NOT a fan of cold cereal (I'm an oatmeal kinda girl), but can tolerate Fiber One clusters or Just Right. They are sweet-tasting so I'm getting a bunch of fiber without feeling like I just ate the cardboard box!

I had to laugh at my DS. We were at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico and he'd gone and picked up a bowl of cereal (I know, who eats CEREAL on vacation?!) and was HORRIFIED to report back that a *grown man* chose Froot Loops. LOL There was my 9 year old with corn flakes and a grown up choosing sugar cereal. I thought it was cute.

shan84
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I eat cereal once a day usually for lunch because its the easiest thing for me to pack and bring here in South Korea. The brand name is the same, but it totally tastes different and has different nutritional information. I eat Special K everyday with low fat milk.

I like it. Helps keep my calories under control.