The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - My problem with the Biggest Loser Show

2feelbetter
06-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I've been talking about this with other people and I just wanted to voice my opinion here.

First off before I complain let me say I love the Biggest Loser Show. I watch it every week.

Here is my personal gripe.

THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION ABOUT DIET /FOOD !

You see all this working out and crazy challenges that I personally can't do and after awhile it just hit me..... If I worked out 5 hours a day that I guess I'd lose all that weight also. But in the real world most people just don't have that kind of time.

I would love to see what some of these people are actually doing on their own. Now that would be a good show.

"AT HOME WITH THE BIGGEST LOSERS"

Okay that's my gripe.:woops:

ungluued
06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
2feelbetter,
you are so right. If everyone had 8 hours a day, a personal trainer and a large sum of cold hard cash, it would be easy.
That probably also explains why so many have gained their weight back after the show. Such a disservice to those people.
I don't watch anymore, it's A ratings show.

Hun.e.B
06-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree, it would be really nice to get more nutrition information from the show. However, my personal opinion is that like the exercise, their eating is probably very unrealistic for the real world. It might be a disservice to show us how they really eat for the risk that many people would try eating that way and without medical supervision.

ennay
06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah unless the food is sponsored, they dont show it.

I think PART of the reason they show less and less of the diet is they dont actually eat what the sponsors sell. They can't advertise yoplait light and then admit they dont eat it.

In general the women are on 1200 calories and the men are on 1500 calories, but they give no info on how they work that around the workouts.

I know to do the kind of schedule they do I would have to be really careful about what I ate when. On days when I do "biggest loser" style working out I actually eat very little in terms of fresh produce because I cant digest veggies fast enough to get back out there. I have to pack all my veggies into my dinner and THEY workout after dinner.

They do lipservice to fresh fruits and veggies and whole foods, but I bet for the ease of digestion while working out they do a lot of the protein shakes and other quick food. Not all that healthy, not all that sustainable.

kaplods
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Several of the contestants have admitted that while the show management officially endorses 1200/1500 well-balanced calories, the real behavior of the contestants is much different. Fasting, eating and then vomitting, spending hours in the sauna to dehydrate before a weigh-in.... all of the obsessive, compulsive, destructive behaviors they're officially against. But with all of the money that's at stake, and the stigma of failing in front of the whole country, it's no surprise that people are willing to do anything to get there.

wannabesomebody
06-05-2010, 05:32 PM
When i was young I worked out 8 hours a day and ate low calorie. I lost about 5 pounds a week (best I've ever done on a diet but I was 13 and I'm old now). I am boggled by how they lose weight. I can only think they pick people who are eating insanely but their bodies are really wanting to be thin. I'm not one of those people. I also really think people pack on the pounds before their first weigh in :/ I keep thinking of all those wannabe contestants that are packing on the pounds in hopes of getting on the show.

QuilterInVA
06-05-2010, 08:25 PM
You'll never get the nutritional part of the show. They have the Biggest Loser Club that gives you that or the books. Why not buy one instead of expecting everything to be free?

2feelbetter
06-05-2010, 10:19 PM
You'll never get the nutritional part of the show. They have the Biggest Loser Club that gives you that or the books. Why not buy one instead of expecting everything to be free?

I'm not expecting everything to be free. I just gave my oponion of the show. So I won't be buying anything.

Optical Goddess
06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
For each show, hours and hours are edited down to what we see. And yes, as with all tvshows, it's about ratings....I'd be interested to see how they deal with the psychological and emotional issues that come with weight struggles. It also seems that the contestants are 'cast', there's the one whose whiney, the one who is a witch, the one who is this and that....I doubt that what we see is the best representation of what the contestants are really like.

On a side note, I met the trainer that worked out with Michael ( this season's winner) when he was at home....

kaplods
06-06-2010, 12:28 AM

Cost really isn't the issue, if the book is not the plan the contestants have actually been following.

I'm guessing most people want to know what the contestants are actually doing, not what they may or may not have been told to do, so the cost of the book really is irrelevant if it doesn't reflect the contestants' actual behavior.

Because of the way the show is edited, you don't really get to know how the folks are really eating (and unless they were live-camming everything, there'd be no way to do that, even if snippets were included in the televised show).

If it is true (as some former contestants have claimed), that everyone is actually following their own self-invented plan (which may include risky and even dangerous tactics), it would explain why the show would edit that out. If their real behavior is inconsistent with the official position, it could affect ratings and possibly even liability issues (though I would think with all of the "don't try this at home" disclaimers that would be the least of the issues).

It may simply be the editorial style of the editors (they may simply include what they think makes the most exciting show) or there may be other issues, that will never be clear to the audience - only to those privy to the behind-the-scenes events.

Chrissykin
06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I follow a bunch of contestants on FB/Twitter and have met Jerry & Estella. I also belonged to the TBL club for two years and listened to all Jillian's radio shows.

They follow their respective trainers diets, TBL club is NOT the plan the contestants follow. They push cardio, cardio, cardio and then more cardio. That is how they lose the big numbers.

Hun.e.B
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM

It doesnt have anything to do with getting something for free. Viewers are curious to see how the contestants are eating to see just what their entire day consists of beyond the working out 6 to 8 hours and how they can do that. There are not other shows that viewers are required to purchase a book to follow along with.

I have no intention of following the biggest loser plan so why would I waste my money. That doesnt mean i still dont want to know how they are eating.

Beyond that my satellite tv bill indicates I'm not getting anything for free.

shoeluver67
06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm surprised none of the past contestants have done a blog or written an article online somewhere about what it was REALLY like to be on the show...what the actual diet and exercises regimine is. there HAS to be SOMETHING SOMEWHERE online!! although i admit...i have scoured but haven't found anything. i REALLY wanted to hear from Sherry (from this season)...she went home and absolutely KILLED IT! and she ain't 20 something!!!

saef
06-06-2010, 07:40 PM
They probably are under some kind of contractual obligation and also risk being sued for defamation.

One former contestant who's blogged & interviewed extensively about the more unpleasant behind-the-scenes action is Kai Hibbard.

In November 2009, the NY Times wrote an article, "On 'The Biggest Loser, Health Can Take a Back Seat" which included these paragraphs:

Getting contestants to talk openly about the environment of the program is difficult. Shortly after a reporter started contacting former contestants to interview them about their experiences, a talent producer on the series sent an e-mail message to many former contestants reminding them that “serious consequences” could ensue if they ever talked to a reporter without the show’s permission.

To do so could subject them to a fine of $100,000 or $1 million, depending on the timing of the interview, according to the e-mail message, which was obtained by The New York Times. The show’s producers did provide an opportunity to interview several former contestants, but the interviews were conducted with an NBC publicist listening in.

mollymai
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised none of the past contestants have done a blog or written an article online somewhere about what it was REALLY like to be on the show...what the actual diet and exercises regimine is. there HAS to be SOMETHING SOMEWHERE online!! although i admit...i have scoured but haven't found anything. i REALLY wanted to hear from Sherry (from this season)...she went home and absolutely KILLED IT! and she ain't 20 something!!!

I am assuming that when they sign up for the show they have to sign something to not disclose information, which I would love to know myself what their nutrition is like on a daily basis and how much excercise they actually do. I guess it will remain a mystery for us viewers.

WSN
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Several of the contestants have admitted that while the show management officially endorses 1200/1500 well-balanced calories, the real behavior of the contestants is much different. Fasting, eating and then vomitting, spending hours in the sauna to dehydrate before a weigh-in.... all of the obsessive, compulsive, destructive behaviors they're officially against. But with all of the money that's at stake, and the stigma of failing in front of the whole country, it's no surprise that people are willing to do anything to get there.

I'm not sure its fair to say "several" contestants have admitted to the things you list. Unless you've seen different reports, I've only seen the one from Ryan Benson and Kai Hibbard. Benson's sounded pretty extreme but Kai Hibbard from Season 3 simply said her and others would dehydrate before the weigh-in. That is dumb of course because it doesn't equate to actual fat loss but I think it is pretty moot anyway since if you do it once you would have to keep dehydrating before every weigh-in from that point on otherwise it would just show up as a gain the next week. It's not like you can lose 5 pounds of water one week and then and ADDITIONAL 5 pounds of water the next week. You're just losing that same 5 pounds of water over and over if you dehydrate.

And there are 2 things that you can point to as evidence against the claim they dehydrate themselves. In Week 1 they all lose tremendous amounts of weight, usually their highest numbers of the season. But that happens to most people during their first week when they diet/exercise even off the show. And the show has what they call the dreaded Week 2 Curse, where in week 2 they usually show their smallest lost numbers. They still probably lose a lot of fat Week 2 but they just gain back some of that water weight. Also, on dietsinreview.com Amanda from Season 8 has several videos where she answers viewers questions about the show. On a recent one where Danny from Season 8 "guest-hosted" he answered a viewer question about dehydrating. He agreed it was pointless for the reason I mentioned (you'd have to keep doing it) and he also said they test you for dehydration. If they find you're dehydrated they make you drink water. Maybe he's lying, but maybe not. Ryan and Kai were on the earliest seasons, maybe they didn't test back then but because the issue has come up they've been testing for it now.

Anyway, to get back to the original post. I would love to see more about their diets as well. I just started watching the show this year and have now finished a few different seasons. I think the trainers and maybe even the producers do genuinely try to get the contestants to eat according to the plan. I saw how in Season 7 when Ron and Mike were not losing much weight Bob actually told them to start eating MORE. He said they were falling victim to the idea of eating super low cal to lose weight and instead slowed down their metabolisms. It was refreshing to see Bob tell them that.

I think a good idea would be for them to actually have a separate half hour show or something on the Food Network dedicated to their diets and healthy recipes. They've shown a few recipes on the show with celebrity chefs and they've always been interesting. I'd also like to see them show MORE of the actual training, I know they show a decent amount of it but its just so many quick cuts. My favorite scenes are usually the ones in the gym, especially last chance workouts, they're pretty motivating and I'd like to see more. The weigh-ins take almost half the show, that's just ridiculous, they can cut the time for the weigh-ins by a ton.

2feelbetter
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
The weigh-ins take almost half the show, that's just ridiculous, they can cut the time for the weigh-ins by a ton.

I agree with that. That's why I can't sit and watch 2 hours of the show. The same with celebrity apprentice.

I actually starting noticing when this starts and the next show you watch take a look. For a 2 hour reality show they start the weigh in or who they're going to fire at 20 minutes after the second hour. That's when you know it's going to drag on and on.

For the 1 hour shows about 20 to the hour is when they start the firing dismissing etc.......

Frankly I miss real actors and real shows. Reality shows are getting on my nerves. I thought when they first started they wouldn't last. Well I was wrong. It's much cheaper to hire non actors and get a successful show then to pay someone like Charlie Sheen who gets $7.7 million a year.

Hlthgrl
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
The weigh ins are really long. I usually watch the show up until that point then start switching between channels and come back to see the end result of the weigh in.

Optical Goddess
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I was reading that Charlie Sheen is getting $2 mil an episode of 2.5 Men...two Mil to play Charlie Sheen...not exactly a thespian.

2feelbetter
06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Now that I've talked about the biggest loser. What do you think of the spin of.

Losing it with Jillian

Me personally ....... I did watch both episodes. It's an OKAY show not spectacular or something I'm going to remember to watch every Tuesday.

Hun.e.B
06-10-2010, 10:45 PM
yeah I dunno. I watched both episodes. I enjoyed the first one, the second one...eh. I've got it set to dvr but I'll probably only watch if I've got nothing else to do.

Smilette31
06-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Going back to the original post about " my problem with the biggest loser show " ... I, too, have been an avid fan of the show since Season One. Every season I usually connect with atleast one contestant ... but the past two seasons, especially this past season ... I just don't feel the same anymore. Almost to the point that I probably won't watch the next season. Is it just me or has the show changed since the first two seasons? More drama based ... etc. I know it " sells " to show that stuff but I just feel like they have went off track from the first few seasons. Anyone else feel that way at all or is it just me? Maybe I just haven't connected with any of the contestants the past two seasons and it makes me feel that way haha.

kkazz123
06-19-2010, 04:40 AM
I agree with you! I watch the american one but am from australia. Our biggest loser is a bit different where its on 6 nites per week. Anyway last season on friday nites they would have Masterclass...where they did cooking displays, stuff on fitness, doctors come in, and different motivating people...its the best episode each week!

2feelbetter
06-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I can't believe it. I turn on my computer this morning and what do I see. One of the leading stories is about a contestant telling the truth about the biggest loser. Here's the link

http://tinyurl.com/38t7g8d

Here is the Youtube link in case the article disappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoKe5QvCrk&feature=player_embedded

Mercy03
06-22-2010, 09:30 AM
I can't believe it. I turn on my computer this morning and what do I see. One of the leading stories is about a contestant telling the truth about the biggest loser. Here's the link

http://tinyurl.com/38t7g8d

Here is the Youtube link in case the article disappears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoKe5QvCrk&feature=player_embedded

Oh pish posh, former contestant on rival network telling us what we already know.Don't most of these people already have eating disorders and body issues?After all, that's why they are on the show right?

kaplods
06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure its fair to say "several" contestants have admitted to the things you list. Unless you've seen different reports, I've only seen the one from Ryan Benson and Kai Hibbard.

I thought of this thread when I was browsing in our local library, and I found the book, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life by Ali Vincent

I couldn't help but check the book out and see how her experience compared to (and whether it contradictored or supported) Kai's claims (which I've read the most from).

Even though this book is written from a very pro-Biggest loser stance (and as I understand it, Biggest loser production staff or lawyers reviewd and had some editing control of the manuscript), there was far more confirmation of Kai's claims than I expected. Keeping contestants from speaking to each other, the cameras everywhere but the bathrooms (and even then if more than one person was ever in a bathroom or spent too much time in the bathroom, the knocks on the door). Ali's experiences with the "confessionals," and her experiences in the gym. They confirm more than they refute what Kai has said.

One example that stands out (the only one I can refer to specifically without having to reread the whole book to find the examples):

Ali mentions that she received a positive reaction from he crew.

"Even the crew members started to believe I could do it.

For a brief second I thought this contadicted Kai's claim that the crew wouldn't speak to them, until I read the first words of the next sentence:

Usually they didn't speak to us...."

Even though Ali's experience was positive, I didn't find any description of events that were contradictions of anything Kai said. Rather it seemed more of a case of same situation, different perspective.

To a large degree, it seemed to me that Ali had a stronger, more dominant personality than Kai. She was willing to "do her own thing" rather than succumb to the pressure. She was able to choose not to take the pressures personally or submit to pressures she didn't agree with. She did things her way, and ignored rather than internalized the negative.

There often is no "objective truth" only perspective. It's a shame though that we can't get more perspectives.

I would like to hear more from former contestants about their experiences (positive and negative). I don't understand the desire to punish one for speaking out. Of course I also believe that "confidentiality agreements" should be ethically based "you can't tell secrets that you or competitors could profit from at our expense," rather than protection from misconduct "you can't make us look bad in any way, or tell anyone about the bad stuff we do."

lora m
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with you! I watch the american one but am from australia. Our biggest loser is a bit different where its on 6 nites per week. Anyway last season on friday nites they would have Masterclass...where they did cooking displays, stuff on fitness, doctors come in, and different motivating people...its the best episode each week!

I liked the masterclass too. On the basis of last season, BL Australia's become my favourite version:.

gerbies
06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I enjoy the Biggest Loser and Losing It with Jillian, but I always try to keep things in perspective when I watch. I try to focus on the fact that you have people who are beginning to exercise and make "healthy" food choices again (I try not to focus on the "weekly" loss numbers).

The tough thing is that Biggest Loser (and Jillian) have become franchises. In the first season or two, the contestants blogged about what they ate each day/week. You could see how little they were eating (1000-1200 calories a day). Since the introduction/creation of the Biggest Loser plan site, books, videos and Jillian's weight loss DVDs, books and site, this information is no longer provided on-line. Additionally, these details are not provided on the show in any detail. This allows the Biggest Loser to continue growing as a profitable entity. As you all have seen, they receive large dollars for the many product placement "ads" during the show (e.g., Extra gum, Brita water filters, etc.), and not a lot is shown in terms of what/how/when contestants are eating. Additionally, you see the types of exercises that are done, but the details are not provided. This creates a "need" for individuals to purchase their products.

I choose not to purchase the information, but try to enjoy the program for the overall motivation that it provides.

Also, with the prior contestants, they do sign a confidentiality agreement and I know in years passed, the agreement was set for a specific amount of time (e.g., 6 years or something). Once that time passes, they are "free." I'm sure since Kai has shared information (she blogged about this prior to 2010), the contracts have become stronger.

cherrypie
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I watch Biggest loser to see the transformations and be inspired. Not much else. It's a tv show and I'm always shocked when people think they can obtain the same sort of results at home. We could never work out 6 hours a day, a week isn't a week on the show, and (for most people who I've talked to about it) they don't weigh 300 pounds.

I can understand why they don't give a lot of concret info on the show about exactly what they are doing. As unhealthy as some of those people are on the show I can see someone dying who attempted to do the same thing at home who isn't under 24 hour a day medical supervision

2feelbetter
10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I watched it last not but I'm just not that interested in it anymore. All the screaming and yelling going on while exercising. Someone always falling off the treadmill. Everyone crying. It's predictable.

I might watch near the end when there are fewer players left but I don't think I'll watch it as much as before.

luckymommy
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I watched it last night and wondered....what the heck happened to Bob? He seemed like he turned into Jillian! I thought Bob was the sweet, kind trainer and suddenly, he was demanding respect??!!?!?

Yeah, it's pretty extreme stuff on the show. Honestly, I used to wish I could go on that show but now, I'm really so glad to be in control of my own weight loss. I can understand why some people need that kind of kick in the rear to get going, but I think that the show cares way more about ratings than how healthy the contestants are, etc.

CourtneyDaisey
11-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Back when TBL was still new, I wanted to do the show. I thought it would be so helpful to get away from the real world for a while and focus on what it would take for me to lose this weight. But as the seasons progressed, we did learn less and less about their nutrition. Also, is it realistic for me to spend 8+ hours a day in the gym? No! I have a family and a job that require my attention as well.

I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long. I'd love to see a show where they highlight past contestants and how they are handling being back in the real world, working, and dealing with families while trying to lose or maintain weight.

RoseRodent
11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I think they get more sponsorship from 24hr fitness than from the food providers. That equates to more time spent showing workouts. TBLUK is a bit of a dead loss because we have tough laws against product placement, all advertising must be clearly shown as advertising unless it's direct sponsorship where it's specified that it's a sponsorship agreement. Those little silly moments where Bob shows a grown adult how to put something into a Ziplock bag would not be allowed. So, no ads no money, low budget show.

I often wonder if they go and throw up after the temptations, and if you didn't do it on purpose but you felt so ill after you'd dieted hard for weeks and were working out like crazy and then you ate loads of cookies and you threw up anyway then are they going to accuse you of doing it on purpose? I know that if I were playing that game then I'd eat the calories to win the temptation then go to the toilet and think about lard and tomatoes till it all comes out again.

They probably don't want us to see the diet because people at home would try to copy it without the level of medical supervision the contestants have access to. Only calorie count I remember being specifically revealed on the show was one of the two sets of Tongan cousins, I think it was Sam from Sam and Koli, because he's very tall he gets the most calories in the house and he was on 1,800, which doesn't seem a lot for a guy over 6 feet tall working out at that pace.

Like any other "reality" show it's all manipulation. If you pick a person who has been an athletic teenager then it's very easy for their body to remember that and return to a previous state of being athletic. I was very strong and fit around puberty and I think my body recognises that as I immediately bulk up if I start to exercise a bit, but some of my friends who were skinny at school lift weights for months and still look skinny. You pick the "characters" and manipulate the edit footage to portray everyone the way you chose, and anyone who forgets that that is the way reality TV works is in line for a big upset.

OTOH if the show can keep its secrets secret and inspire thousands of people to follow suit and lose the weight then it's still positive, at least it's not just one of those shows we are knee deep in here in the UK where some unpleasant shrew/man-b&*h comes around to a fat person's house to shout at them for being fat and tell them how disgusting they are. Like we don't already look in the mirror and feel that, like being yelled at by a woman who weighs the same as the average bag of popcorn is remotely helpful, it's more the fear of being shown on TV not succeeding and the fact they only follow them for something silly like 8 weeks that makes the difference, not the shrew and her devilishly brilliant diet plan.

I must have a search around the web for an episode of something like this where the woman tells the diet coaches what she really thinks, tells them she thought she was going to learn something new, not be told off like a child and then given the earth-shattering information that she should eat vegetables. It's a good slap for the show, and I'm glad they decided to show it rather than put it on the cutting room floor.

QuilterInVA
11-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Why would they hand out the diet information for free when the have the website you pay to get the information and books with the plan? They are a business.

There regain record is no worse than with any other diet. They work under medical supervision so you cannot do the program like they do at home safely. They do show people after they have left the show and how they get exercise in.

Exercise does not burn as many calories as you think. Just run the numbers sometime. They work with the trainer 1-2 hours a day and all other exercise is whatever they want to do. These are big people and the calorie deficiet from food is hefty. Woman are on 1200 and men 1500 calories.

foodmasochist
11-14-2010, 06:06 PM
i used to really like that show, but the last time i saw it, Jillian was acting so ridiculous i had to shut it off. It was like the Jillian show! She was lecturing someone about how most people would just die for an hour of her time and they have it for free! Who wants to watch that attitude? i'd much rather watch the food network and learn how to make a new dish ;)
then again-i don't watch much on network tv anymore!
-fm

RoseRodent
11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Why would they hand out the diet information for free when the have the website you pay to get the information and books with the plan? They are a business.

... They work under medical supervision so you cannot do the program like they do at home safely.

Precisely, the OP is asking for them to show us what the contestants eat on the ranch. You can buy a book which advises you what to eat at home, but that is not the information she's(?) after, the request is "we would love to see what the real contestants on the show are actually eating, how much of it, when, do they really eat the sponsors' food?" not "I'd like to see for free what is inside the Biggest Loser book which does not contain the information about what the show's contestants ate because it's a 100% different program designed for a majority audience without the same level of medical supervision and does not invididualise the meal plans to specific contestants". That's comparing apples with oranges.

Now if you could buy a book called "What the different named contestants ate during their time on the ranch" then that's economic sense in not telling the information for free, but this is not an issue of giving the information away for free, it is an issue of transparancy, they put so much emphasis on the workouts as if that's really what makes the difference. Marines week was a good demonstration that you can work out all day long and gain weight if you aren't watching what you are eating, but they hardly talk about the food.

2feelbetter
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long. I'd love to see a show where they highlight past contestants and how they are handling being back in the real world, working, and dealing with families while trying to lose or maintain weight.

There is a show called Fit Nation. It's on the FIT TV Channel. It's pretty good. They go into peoples homes . Throw out food, help them shop, show them how to workout in the gym and at home. You get real people. (I Have Time warner Cable. ) Also on the fit tv channel is loads and loads of workout videos that you can watch ON DEMAND FOR FREE.

They also have a website it's http://fittv.discovery.com/

Tomato
11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
..... But as the seasons progressed, we did learn less and less about their nutrition. Also, is it realistic for me to spend 8+ hours a day in the gym? No! I have a family and a job that require my attention as well.

I think that's part of what I don't like as much about TBL. It isn't realistic. People lose an insane amount of weight weekly, while people in the real world lose more like 1-3 pounds a week. Real people go to the gym for an hour or two a few times a week. They don't work out all day long.

Theoretically, you are right, but this aspect does not bother me. Although the contestants are REAL people, this is not their real life. They are on a ranch, i.e. away from their homes, and their only "job" is to lose weight. They don't have to worry about getting groceries, carting kids to school, overseeing homework, doing household chores, etc. (I have to admit it is not entirely clear to me how much cooking they do. I didn't start watching until Season 5 and sometimes they show them cooking, but I don't know if they have to prepare all their meals and how the whole cooking thing works, including who is doing the selection of groceries, etc.).
If the show was to be realistic, i.e. to live real life and exercise 1 hour a day, it would not be The Biggest Loser. There already are shows like that, for example both shows with Tommy Europe (The Last 10 Pounds, and the bridal show [the name escape me right now] - where he is working with a bride-to-be who is a little bit too large for her already purchased wedding dress and the wedding is in a month or so).

I don't know why I would obsess over not being spend 8 hours a day in a gym - I would not want to. And of course, I don't expect to loose 8 lbs in a week (even though we know that the week on the show is longer than an actual week). People have to scale their expectations down based on what they are doing and on their own personal eating habits.

twinmommaplusone
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I think everything is pre-planned for them and or even cooked for them!
The show WANTS them to lose weight!

What I think the show lacks is PsychoTherapy. Really these people like all of us need counseling to dig into their obesity. It's such a mental game. Jillian fills that role and I love her for that, but seriously get a profressional therapist in there :)already!

chubbychick66
01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
what a great show idea!! to follow the at home contestants(one's who have to go to work) and see what really goes on!! and you're right not just workouts for hours but FOOD!! cause isn't that the REAL problem!!!:o

Lynn89
02-24-2011, 05:56 PM
I personally love the biggest loser. The problem is that, yes, they have done a very good job at making it look difficult.. so rather than being an inspiration, many people now use the show as a crutch. "Sure, I could do it too if I had 8 hours a day.." and then never just do it themselves. I was guilty of the same thing. Honestly, though, just because we all don't have 8 hours a day doesn't mean we can't do the exact same thing only at a bit slower and much healthier pace. It really is just exercise and a balanced calorie-aware diet.
The really great thing about biggest loser that I love is that rather than seeing a gradual process in yourself that can be frusterating and hard to notice for a while, you get to see what major weight loss looks like sped up. I find that very motivating. As for the food part, I don't really mind that they don't show it. Exact types of food is a preference. You should never be following what someone else eats or tells you to eat. That is a diet and a diet is temporary. Healthy living is finding what foods you like, and if some of them are unhealthy, research ways to make healthier versions.

cherrypie
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I personally love the biggest loser. The problem is that, yes, they have done a very good job at making it look difficult.. so rather than being an inspiration, many people now use the show as a crutch. "Sure, I could do it too if I had 8 hours a day.." and then never just do it themselves. I was guilty of the same thing. Honestly, though, just because we all don't have 8 hours a day doesn't mean we can't do the exact same thing only at a bit slower and much healthier pace. It really is just exercise and a balanced calorie-aware diet.
The really great thing about biggest loser that I love is that rather than seeing a gradual process in yourself that can be frusterating and hard to notice for a while, you get to see what major weight loss looks like sped up. I find that very motivating. As for the food part, I don't really mind that they don't show it. Exact types of food is a preference. You should never be following what someone else eats or tells you to eat. That is a diet and a diet is temporary. Healthy living is finding what foods you like, and if some of them are unhealthy, research ways to make healthier versions.

you hear that so many times, oh I could do that too if I was there. Meaning since I'm not there I can't do it. But look at all the family members who lose weight at home and lose almost as much as those on the ranch! last season someone's cousin lost just as much weight as the women on the ranch were losing. Even more than some.

Last night one contestant went home and had lost only 2 pounds more than her husband had who was at home the whole time.

JollyGreenSteen19
04-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I am addicted to the show but I know it's not good. I am always annoyed that I never hear more about what they are doing and eating so I could model some stuff after them.... except apparently enjoying sugar free jello and subway. I know to lose the kind of weight they are losing, they are probably employing unhealthy habits... dehydration and the like. Unlikely a little tiny girl lost 5 lbs of fat in a week, just saying.

On a side note the philosophies taught on this show, lose weight as fast as you can, IS NOT HEALTHY!!! This is reflected in how disgusting former contestants skin becomes. If you have like 200+ lbs to lose like many of the contestants, realistically, at a healthy weight loss rate it should take them 1-2 years to get it off depending on the circumstances.

kewkew34
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I had read the information on Kai Hibbard just recently and had wondered if there was any new information on her, like consequences for her speaking out. But I haven't been able to find anything. I know if what she said is true, I really have no more use of The Biggest Loser.

Violet73
06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I love the show and watch every season. I just like to see the transformations and I must admit that it gives me inspiration to see a 500 pound man run on a treadmill. BUT, having said all of that, the show is not realistic and all of the contestants keep repeating what the previous seasons contestants say "you can do this too" well, yeah if I had the time to work out like they do I would lose faster too. On the other hand, they have never shown their diet plan. Even before the books and so forth they never disclosed exactly what they eat. My take on this is that it's probably not safe for your average American. The calories are probably even lower than what they would have you believe as it's a competition and it just isn't safe to say on national television what they are actually eating as it could be dangerous to the average Joe watching TV and not being under a doctor's care like they are. Also, we have learned a lot from some of the past contestants who have said that the "weekly" weigh ins aren't weekly. Some have even gone two weeks but they still say a week.

Oh and the injuries and how the producers push them. There is so much we don't know about. I still will watch the show. I can't help myself ;)

TurboMammoth
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Okay, I'm jumping in the conversation without having red all the posts (so it was maybe said earlier, sorry if it was) but here's what I think :

I think they probably do have some nutrition mentoring or something, but that they just don't show it for the ''marketing'' reason.

I mean, general population probably prefer watching show for the drama/effort of the training (will they succeed? will they fail?) and not ''you should eat carrot and not french fries''. ;)

QuilterInVA
06-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Their diet plan isn't a secret - it's given in all the Biggest Loser books. For hugely overweight people, the skin is not going to go back no matter how long you take to lose it. I just consider it my badge of honor. And when you are seriously overweight and under a doctor's supervision daily, it is okay to lose weight fast.

If you don't like the show, why do you watch it?

jimmyk1006
07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
It's true that they don't mention enough about dieting. From our perspective, we're just looking at some hardcore fitness...long, excruciating hardcore fitness.

Tanna Banana
08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Their diet plan isn't a secret - it's given in all the Biggest Loser books.

True... but I think the point people are trying to make is that "diet plan" isn't represented on the show enough. Where's the proof that the contestants are actually following a diet plan? Nutrition is the largest component of health and weight loss, and it's truly a shame that it doesn't receive more attention on air.

diamondgeog
08-24-2011, 02:26 PM
In general I think Biggest Loser is an awful bordering on horrible show. Why? Whatever is good in it can be presented in a billion times healthier way. It is the Jerry Springer of weight loss shows. Yes being overweight is unhealthy, sometimes extremely so.

But this extreme weight loss so quickly is also very unhealthy. It really is only a matter of time before a biggest Loser contestant dies during the show. They make weight loss sensational for the ratings, the contestants do who know what to make the weight loss. AND I am sure they make the contestants sign perhaps the tightest non disclosure documents in exsistence trying to keep what is really going on under wraps by threat of lawsuit.

The national body challenge was a whole lot better, and real, and sane, and safe. Now someone might say the contestants would possibly die without weight loss. Maybe so. But there is a HUGE middle ground where weight loss can be sane, DOABLE BY PEOPLE AT HOME IN REAL LIFE, and have a lot more good nutrition info. Just an awful show overall.

redreine
08-24-2011, 04:03 PM
There are doctors and other medical professionals on hand every step of the way, and they've appeared in many episodes of the show. I think stating that someone will die on the show is a slight overstatement.

diamondgeog
08-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I think you actually echoed some of my points. How many people at home have constant medical supervision? Google biggest loser "not safe' or biggest loser "not healthy". Probably the worse kept secrect around that biggest loser is just not a healthy realastic show. It is entertainment and definitely of the "do not try this at home' variety.

celly123
08-26-2011, 11:46 AM
There are doctors and other medical professionals on hand every step of the way, and they've appeared in many episodes of the show. I think stating that someone will die on the show is a slight overstatement.

Not really! The contestants on the show are in terrible health when they come on to the show, and paired with the insane diet and exercise, it wouldn't be a total surprise if someone had a heart attack or something.

Having a doctor on hand is certainly comforting, but in no way a guarantee that everyone is safe!

This show is the worst reality show I've ever seen! It's boring. And it's so unrealistic I can't even get motivated from it.

I'd rather watch Jersey Shore than this garbage.

HappilyMe
08-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Not really an overstatement when you consider one of the winners (I think season 1, but not really sure) did so much damage to his body to win that he actually urinated blood. And playing around with dehydration is no joke, one day some contestant is going to take it too far and really hurt themselves.

There is always someone who will do anything to win, healthy or unhealthy. And the doctors can't monitor the contestants every move to make sure they're not engaging in unhealthy acts.

That being said I do find the show inspirational and can't wait for the new season.

Chrissykin
08-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I have met four contestants. One winner, one at home winner and both of their partners. All had great things to say about the show. They all feel they owe TBL their lives.

whatupton
10-30-2011, 02:46 AM
The only thing that REALLY bothers me about the show is the extremeee weight loss they achieve it such a short amount of time and how anything less is unacceptable. I know that they need these huge weekly loss numbers on the scales to keep america watching, but its just so unrealistic. I was watching an episode this morning where the contestant said he wanted to see a "double digits" weight loss, and when he weighed in and found out he lost like 6 or 7 he was upset and basically wrote off his week as a waste and that he didn't work hard enough. It was crazy, Im ECSTATIC when I see that Im down 2 pounds in a week, I cant imagine losing 6 or 7 and being upset by it.

LovelyLeah
10-31-2011, 12:16 AM
One thing that really irks me is when you see (as is they actually air it) the trainers pushing the contestants till the vomit or collapse. Did you know that it's not even legal to do that in the NFL? They made a law against it after a player died from heat stroke and exhaustion during training. That happened a few years ago in Minnesota, not to far from where I live. It was really sad. And to see these trainers yelling at them to get up and get back to working out. That is absolutely not okay! I watch the show because it's my secret little guilty pleasure because of the drama but some days I just shut it off.

Wimpster
12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I love the show and it's great to see the transformations of all the contestants...very inspirational!

But, the truth is that it is not realistic.

I got my start on losing my 88 lbs by going to a fat camp similar to the Biggest Loser; without of course, the boot camp atmosphere. Great experience and it allowed me to focus 24/7 for 3 weeks on my health. I lost 17 lbs but at a cost of $10,000, it was an expensive retreat - $588 per pound - ouch!

When you get back on the plane to go home, you quickly realize you are back in the real world, faced with constant decisions you have to make about food and exercise.

Example of the little things they don't teach you at fat camp - wifey makes chocolate chip cookies or brownies every week for church and gets you to load them in the car. How do you deal with that?

You can lose weight like a blow torch with as little as 15 intensive minutes of exercise every other day. You don't need to run till you puke!

And I agree with the criticism that they never show the BL contestant eating or otherwise discuss their diets. And that's unfortunate because 90% of losing weight is about what you eat, not about how you exercise.