General chatter - One Big Happy Family......Positive or Negative reinforcement?

milliondollarbbw
06-05-2010, 01:00 AM
I admit that I adore the reality show "One big happy family" on TLC---a show about a morbidly obese family (almost everyone is over 300lbs) and their focus on living healthier.

I like the show because it is one of the more realistic reality shows out there---I actually know a lot of people who have the same concerns that the family members have.

But, there is also part of me that cringes when they say something that seems stereotypical on a lot of different levels---sigh. Like, the whole issue about not knowing wear spinach comes from and thinking it only comes from the can. :( I also feel a bit awkward in that the wife and mom works a lot, but the father doesn't because of his weight and other issues. It seems odd at times and I don't like the image it portrays.

I do hope the family is successful in their second season. Is anyone else a fan of this show?

Ciao
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I haven't gotten the chance to see it yet,
though I do love the fact that it's real.

It sure does beat Jersey Shore which gives
the idea that the youth have to look like sticks
and spend hours doing makeup to look good.

milliondollarbbw
06-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I haven't gotten the chance to see it yet,
though I do love the fact that it's real.

It sure does beat Jersey Shore which gives
the idea that the youth have to look like sticks
and spend hours doing makeup to look good.

True---but I think most youth watching jersey shore would already agree that the excessive tanning probably isn't healthy.

Tai
06-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I love this show! I never saw it when it originally aired, but caught it in repeats. Last week I watched the first two episodes of the new season. I don't want to ruin it for you if you haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure if the father is a stay at home dad by choice or by circumstance. I like how close they are as a family and really hope they reach their goals.