Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default weight gain?

I went to my prenatal appt last Wednesday and my weight had remained the same as my previous visit. I weighed in this morning and I found out I gained 4 lbs.
I'm counting calories and nothing's changed, I've been eating the same exact thing everyday for the last month, I've gained a pound in a 3 weeks period of time but not 4 lbs in one week. Should I be worried about the baby? Could he have gone through a growth spurt. 4 lbs seems like a lot in one week.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #2  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Has it been hot where you are? I can easily gain 4 lbs in a week from water retention, and I retain water like crazy when it gets hot. FWIW I'm almost 37wks pregnant with my second. Good luck. I hate my scale right now but it's for a good cause, right?
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #3  

I didn't think about water retention, Its been getting hot at the days go by. We're expecting it to hit 100 tomorrow.
I totally understand the hatred over the scale. LOL I'm feeling it right now.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #4  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

If you have another jump in weight another concern could be amniotic fluid. So keep an eye on it.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

During the end of your pregnancy is when you start packing on the serious baby pounds. Don't worry about it. It's for the baby! Nursing is gonna use up some insane calories!
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #6  

hahaha yeah I wouldn't know about the packing on more pounds late in pregnancy since I ate everything in sight with my last 3 pregnancies. LOL So this is totally new to me.
I did think about the amniotic fluid also. I'll weigh in at my next visit and see what my midwife says. So far the baby has been fine and measuring on target. with my insurance I'm only allowed 2 u/s and I've already used them us, can she tell by doing the fundal measurements if there's too much fluid?
I was thinking of upping my water intake to see if that'll change anything. I pressed on my leg (with my thumb) yesterday and it left a dent, from what I remember from a nurse friend that means there's swelling, I guess. so I could be retaining water. don't know.

Last edited by mom4life; 06-05-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like water retention to me. Keep an eye on things. Not to freak you out, but excessive water retention can be a sign of preeclampsia - of course, it goes along with high blood pressure, vision changes, protein spillage into your urine, etc... there's more symptoms than just water retention! Talk to your midwife about it, just keep her updated on how things are going. And, although you hate the scale keep an eye on it. Lots of weight gained very quickly can be another sign. :/ I'm guessing it's just water since it's been so hot where you are though!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #8  

Weighed myself Sunday morning, I gained another 1.5 lbs bring my grand total in one weeks to 5.5 lbs.
I finally called my midwife and asked her what she thought. Given the info I told her after she asked me how I felt (thirsty as heck and the dent after pressing on my leg) she said it sounded like water retention and told me not to worry. My appt is tomorrow so I'm sure she's going to check my urine to make sure everything's okay.
Quick question to those that count calories while pregnant: Do you add unexpected water weight gain to your weight gain or do you leave it out? My dh told me to add it to the "Lose it" program which will up my daily calorie allowance and I wonder if I'll end up gaining more weight. So I keep flip flopping on leaving my calories as if I didn't see the increase or if I should continue adding the water weight gain as weight gained?

Last edited by mom4life; 06-07-2010 at 07:25 AM.