Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Default introducing myself . . .

hi-

I'm in the process of researching WLS and will be attending the local center's seminar next week. Needless to say-once i decided that this was actually an option for me-it's all I can think about! I've been wavering from feelings of failure, fear, hope, back to failure . . . . I've only mentioned it to a few people because i know I'll face a backlash from some folks if I decide to go through with it. And I can understand-before i really looked into it-I was suffering from the same misconceptions. Namely-that it's the easy way out.

However, my health is really starting to suffer. I can't even exercise because it hurts so bad. Who thought it would get so bad that walking would be painful?

Anyway-I'm about 315ish and barely 5'2". BMI>50. Somethings gotta give. I always hoped I would be a part of that 5% that manages to keep the weight off and not regain (the same 30-100 lbs over and over), but I wasn't. Now I'm hoping to be part of the 70ish% that succeeds with WLS.

Any advice or questions I should ask at the seminar?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #2  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Really read everything you can about WLS, you need as much info going into this as you can, I was terrified and now I have had my surgery and i am glad that I took the time to find out all about different surgeries and what was right for me. I will say I wish I had chosen to have my surgery done at a much lower weight and not waited til i got well over 400, so even though 315 is BIG for 5'2 (I am 5'6 and before arthrisis I WAS 5'8) it is a good place to start from.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited by SpookyXXL; 06-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #3  

Please do your research before you even go the seminar. Research ALL surgery types and see what one works for your lifestyle. Your seminar will
only cover, at most, 1 or 2 types of weight loss surgery. Read about all of them. Choose wisely. Think twice, cut once.

When you do decide and pick a surgeon make sure s/he has a TON of experience and has performed many (at least 200 generally) of your particular type of surgery.

Dawn

Last edited by diminishingdawn; 06-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.
diminishingdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #4  
Let's try this again . .

Because of my insurance (I work for the university/hospital)-i can only use this particular clinic. They only do bypass and lapband, I believe. From my research-I don't believe lapband would work for me. i've read about all of them and the risks/benefits. The sleeve sounds promising-but don't think I'll get that option. I can't do this without the insurance.

But i will ask about the number of surgeries, thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/200/155

Height: 5'1

What a great way to think about it - those numbers are powerful! I've been having those same emotions!
luvbug02468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

welcome aboard, juliemarie! are you at the health sciences university in Portland? if so, is Dr Bruce Wolfe there? he's the president -elect of the ASMBS, and there's a great program there.

just keep asking Qs. research research research. for right now, it's all about YOU - how you want to live, the things you have to do to stay healthy, etc etc etc.

we're here for ya!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Glad to see your here doing your research! Good place for support, info, and an ear when you need it.

I was in the same boat, I was limited by my insurance to RNY and DS. I chose RNY for many reasons and have not regreted it for a minute. Ok maybe a few minutes...this was sooooo not the easy way out! hehehe

Though, I do not recommend surgery, if its what you are going to do, I support you 100%! It has changed everything for me, some in a good way, some in a bad way...but as I tell people that have already gotten to this point...the diet rollercoaster has come to a stop at the top of the scale and there doesn't seem like there's anyway to get down....a point of real desperataion...I would have this surgery a hundred times over!

Now, read...read...read! An educated decision makes for a more successful result. In anything really, but especially in choosing a WLS, a lifestyle change that is not a easy row to hoe, and the next emotional rollercoaster that starts when you decide to make WLS happen!

Just put up your hands and shout!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 06-05-2010 at 07:42 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #8  
Let's try this again . .

Thanks for the welcome! And yes-I can't agree more to the research thing-then again, it's kinda what I do for a living!

Jiffy-yes, I'm at OHSU and Dr. Wolfe is one of the three surgeons. As far as I can tell online-it's a good clinic with a good reputation.

Angela-you look fabulous! congrats on your success.

The funny thing is how vastly different everyone's experience post-surgery is. What they can and can't eat. Hunger. Depression. I went to a brithday party this evening for one of my daughter's friends and met someone who is less than a year out and over 100lbs lost. She can't really eat carbs but can eat sweets (go figure). She can eat more at one sitting than I thought was able. she still drinks soda. So- it seems everyone's tolerance is different.

My class is on monday and it'll be interesting to see how and if it all progresses!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I might double check your insurance policy only because most policies will say that if a procedure is medically determined to be best for you, and they don't do it at the facilities they cover, then they will cover it for you to go elsewhere. So, you may be able to have a procedure other than RNY or band if that is what you and your doc discuss - for this, I suggest you do your own research to present to the doc, as most do not know about options other than the band or RNY. My PCP initially suggested the band to me - I had to educate her on what the DS was and why I wanted it. She had never heard of it, and she had previously worked IN a WLS clinic!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

you're in very good hands there .

as for that person who was drinking soda- yes, it's absolutely true that everyone's different - different tolerances and preferences and so on. BUT there are also people who will do their level best to avoid making the necessary changes. soda is NOT a good habit to get into. an OCCASIONAL soda isn't a big deal [if you can tolerate it], but it's not a good habit.

So - right now i'm eating breakfast - cantaloupe and cottage cheese. the cat woke up from her post-breakfast nap, came RUNNING down the stairs, and stuck her head in my bowl!!!! she LOVES cantaloupe. so, we're sharing now. She sure has me well trained!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #11  
Let's try this again . .

Hi All-everything's going pretty well-have a bunch of appts scheduled-my PCP for all the labs etc/dietician/NP. I still need to schedule a sleep study. The seminar was very informative and made me feel good about my decision. Since I'm an employee-the process could be much faster than the 8-9 mos and maybe only take 3-4 mos.

Time to buckle down and get on a low-fat diet and shed a few. I'm not required by insurance to lose any weight first-but the surgeon might request it. I don't want to be held up by that so time to start now!

I did ask about the soda and was told that carbonated beverages should be completely avoided as the bubbles stretch the pouch. That makes sense-I think I can deal with the loss of diet Coke if it means I'll be successful . . .
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

I'm not trying to "start" anything, but just wanted to add that I've heard from more than one bariatric surgeon and dietician that the idea of soda stretching the pouch is a myth. That doesn't mean that all post-op WLS should be chugging soda daily (it's important to get hydration from non-caffeinated sources, and we don't need the phosphoric acid of cola beverages interfering with our calcium), but soda (referring to diet, here) is not the devil some would make it out to be. Of course, if you can live without it, then by all means. Me, I drink soda daily (always diet) but make it a goal to get 64+ ounces of water (or Crystal Light type flavored water) in addition to the soda so I do not "count" the soda toward my water intake.

Also, I might suggest a low-carb diet pre-op instead of low-fat. Surgeons often put patients on low-carb plans prior to surgery because they are better at shrinking the liver, which is often a surgeon's goal since most MO patients have a fatty liver.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #13  
Let's try this again . .

Noted on the soda issue . . . .

And I plan on going back to my LA Weight Loss diet (low carb/low fat/high lean protein) so I should be covered. The mindset is for dieting again is much easier with a surgery goal in mind and then a much better outlook for success long-term!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Glad you are getting educated on your choices! It is a very traumatic event, but it was the best decision I ever made! As far as soda, I tried a little bit last week. (I had RNY March 30) It hurt. I think just the bubbles in a confined place were painful. I miss Diet Coke, but I LOVE having lost over 70 pounds since middle of February.

You are welcome to read my blog. I documented my journey so far. http://margaretandelwood.blogspot.com/
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
As far as soda, I tried a little bit last week. (I had RNY March 30) It hurt. I think just the bubbles in a confined place were painful.
Ditto to that! Early out, the carbonation was just too much for a stomach that was still probably a bit swollen and tender. If I just HAD to have something to drink at a restaurant other than water, I would order a soda with lots of ice and stick a fork or knife in it and stir it around for a while to kill some of the carbonation. By maybe 6-7 months out or so, I could drink soda without flattening it first. In the earlier months, I basically lived on Crystal Light type beverage mixes since plain water made me nauseous (which was hard to adjust to since I normally drank 2-3 liters of plain water a day pre-op).