Chicks up for a Challenge - C25K: Get Running, Get Fit!

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : C25K: Get Running, Get Fit!

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
:balloons: Hello Ladies!!! :balloons:

I think it's safe to say that most of us have heard of the C25K program! :yes: So many people rave about how wonderful and awesome and amazing it is, so why shouldn't we give it a shot, too!? I think it's time to make that effort! :coach:

In case you aren't aware, C25K stands for Couch-to-5K program! Over the span of 9 weeks, you use intervals of walking and jogging to build up your stamina, so you can eventually run a 5k race OR for 30 minutes straight. You can do this on a treadmill :tread: or just outside! :running: There are all sorts of useful resources available for those that want to try taking on the challenge, even apps for your iPhone/iTouch! :dancer:

You can find the program schedule, along with some other information at this link. (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) Always remember that in the end, you are doing this for yourself, so if you feel that you need to modify the intervals or times to better suit your body, GO FOR IT! :high:

I want this thread to become a group of friends who supports each other through the ups and downs of this learning process! :grouphug: So please feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't think you can't hop in because you're already well into the program! I'm sure anyone new would love having people with a little time under their belt to give some advice! ;)

I'm very excited to progress with you guys! Lets make this happen, and get ourselves in gear! :kickbutt:

Helpful Links:
The Schedule, and General Information! (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)
Five Great Stretches (http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm)
Choosing Running Shoes (http://www.therunningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html)
Map My Run (I LOVE this site!) (http://www.mapmyrun.com)
If you have any links to suggest, feel free to post them! I'll add them to the list as they come in. :)

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Participants! (I will be adding as people join in!)

- ninepaw (Diana), Started Sunday, May 30th!
- Rochester, Started Tuesday, June 1st!
- ap90, Not yet started!
- PeachyKeen62, Started June 7th!
- KimL1214, Not yet started!
- EmusGlitter, Started the week of May 16th!
- RienQueNny, Started May 31st!
- GrnEyedMustang, Started training in March, 2010!
- sha25, started June 8th, 2010!
- knobhdy, Started the week of May 30th!
- Jules1216 (Julie), Started June 8th!
- I'm On A Boat (Dee), Started the week of May 16th!
- MyBodyIsMyTemple, started June 11th!
- SoonToBeHealthyHart, Started the week of June 6th!
- shortstuff17, Starting June 15th!

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Alrighty then! I'll kick this off now. :)

My name is Diana, and I started C25K for the very first time on Sunday, May 30th, 2010! I'm very excited to see how well I manage to do in this program, as running is not something I've ever been terribly good at... Ever! I'm doing my runs outside around my neighboorhood, and I'm going to be doing W1D3 tomorrow! :carrot:

Rochester
06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for creating this thread, Diana! :)

I started C25k on Tuesday; I plan to do the program Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

I don't have a clue why I decided to do this. It's a huge leap for me athletically and I've never been a runner (mostly due to an unfortunate incident in junior high school involving phys ed class, a mile run, and a broken bra strap :o). But I just looked over the info for C25k and thought to myself, "I can do this!"

I'm obese. I'm ridiculously out of shape. AND I'm running! :running:

If I can do this, anyone can. For serious! :D

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Yay!!! :D You came over!

Yeah, I can't really say why I decided this was a great plan... But here I am! :dancer: Workin' my way through, day by day... Hopefully we get more people in here soon!

ap90
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm in! Although not just yet. Next week I'm finishing up a condensed math course and after that I'll be all set to make time to do C25K. So, what are your experiences with it like so far? I've gotta say, I'm not a runner at all and starting this program scares the living daylights out of me.

ninepaw
06-04-2010, 03:45 AM
:celebrate: :welcome3: :celebrate:

Hi ap90! Welcome to the thread/program! :D

So far I've only gotten through two days, I'm planning for day three tomorrow to finish out my first week. I, too, would say that I'm not a runner, and I think it's safe to say there's a good chance you'll be surprised by just how much you can do! Don't forget to stretch before and after your runs... Check out the link in the first post, if you feel so inclined! ;) But yeah! It really does seem to be well designed, so I'm ecited to hear how you do! (After your math course, naturally!)

girlonfire
06-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Whoo sounds great! I'll start (again) on Monday, when my gym reopens from it's yearly maintenance. I would go outside, but so far Oregon has decided to rain for about 2 weeks straight.

KimL1214
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I LOVE this program and have managed to do it before, but had some nasty personal stuff happen, gained all the weight back and stopped running... soooooo, I wanna start again! I'm currently suffering form a 2nd degree sunburn, blisters and all, so as I need to wait for my skin to soak the blisters back up... I will aim to start either Sunday or Monday(if the blisters are still present on Sunday, they should be gone by Monday!)

Book me as C25K 1:1 on Sunday (and I will let you know if I have to push to Monday)!!!

Thank you for starting this thread as I know I will need some super support from everyone to push through! I love being a 3FC cheerleader also!

ninepaw
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
:celebrate: :welcome3: :celebrate:

Hello to you both, PeachyKeen and Kim! :D Super ecited to have you both! Just let me know when you guys officially start - I'll throw that onto the "participants" post! ;)

As for me, I'm all dressed up to do W1D3 right now! Just thought I'd check in here before I start stretching to go out. I *think* my hip will be okay today. I hope. :lol: Every time I say something about that I feel so old! Well... My birthday IS on Sunday... (But I know that I am in no way shape or form *actually* old. Don't worry!) But yeah! I'm ecited and ready to get out there and kick some day three booty! Hope everyone is doing well!

EmusGlitter
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Can I join? I did C25K in '08 and lost 37 lbs from the first 5 weeks of it! (I was doubling everything and did it 4 or 5 times a week)

Anyway.. I stopped running.. and gained weight and I needed to start it all over. haha. So I'm on Week 3. :)

Do you like to run by distance or by time?

I find it MUCH easier, mentally, to run by distance. I head over to the high school track so that way I know exactly how far I've gone.. Plus.. it's WAYYYY easier on the knees for me.

ninepaw
06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Of course you can join! All are welcome! :D

I, personally, run for time... For a couple of reasons! For one thing, I really hate running around a track... It's very monotonous for me. So tracking distance isn't really something I can do well while I'm running, short of buying a GPS device or something... Which I can't really do! The other reason is that the app that I have on my iPhone gives you alerts to walk/run based on time, and I really do enjoy my app. Makes it so I don't have to focus too much on when to do what(Except when I'm thinking, "Please god, let me walk soon! :lol:) On a side note, let me know if I have your starting week screwed up in the second post! You said you were on week three so I went from that, but I could be absolutely crazy! So let me know, when you have a chance! ;)

ninepaw
06-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Anddd I'm back from W1D3! I am officially done with the first week! :woohoo:

I'm feeling pretty awesome, to tell you the truth! It was only closer to the end when I started feeling a little discomfort in my hips, but I got through the whole run and I feel great! I have plans for the net two days, so the net opportunity I'll have for running will be Monday, when it will be time for week two!!! Aaaah! :D

Rochester
06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome to all the new peeps and hoorays to Diana on Day 3! Wow, Emus, Week 3? You're my hero! :love:

I can't wait to do Day 3 tomorrow. It's mind boggling how much I look forward to this. :dizzy:

I also run for time, not distance. Somehow it sounds easier to say I'm going to do 20 minutes than to say I'm going to do 2 miles, or whatever.

The back entrance to the county fairgrounds is across the road from my house, so that's where I've been running because it's close...and it's secluded. :o :lol: This weekend, though, there's a festival at the fairgrounds, so I think I'm going to try the reservoir instead. It will be an interesting experiment in running on grass instead of pavement.

This evening I was at Wal*Mart and I found a cute blouse on clearance. And then I found a copy of Runner's World Magazine that was the same price as the blouse. I put the blouse back because hopefully it won't fit SOON and buying a mag about running just made me feel so hip. ;)

ninepaw
06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
:lol: You are SO hip with your running magazine, Rochester! That's awesome. Can't wait to hear how running on the grass goes for you tomorrow!

Rochester
06-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I've been looking for a C25k podcast all week. Almost everyone recommends Robert Ullery...ugh!...not me. :p Didn't like his music or his voice.

I found some that were hiphop/rap (not my style), some that were more likely to put me to sleep than inspire me to run, and some in which the musicians were so amateur it drove me batty.

I finally found one that I like. I know that everyone has different tastes in music but if you're looking for a podcast check out this one (http://www.healthkey.com/a-z/sleep/sns-couch-to-5k-podcast,0,179495.story). I guess I would describe the music as alternative rock/techno dance. The woman who narrates the intervals is a bit chatty, but she makes you feel like you’re running with a friend. And how can you not love a woman who is wheezing right along with you and goes by the name “Chubby Jones.” :)

RienQueNny
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm in!
I started this Monday (tons of free holiday time) with a friend of mine, and we are officially finished week 1! I swear I never ran in my life, I could never run in high school or anything like that, and on our first day my buddy and I were almost crying, it was way hard. Day 3 was so much easier! I can't believe I pretty much doubled my endurance in a week.

We also walk for about an hour before/after we're done jogging, and started skipping rope and man is that crazy cardio! I feel so out of shape though, I haven't been losing anything lately despite all this new exercise thing, because of my eating habits but I'm working on that right now, and hopefully when the 2 come together I'll be back on the weight loss wagon.

Rochester
06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Woohoo...I kicked some Day 3 booty, baby! :goodvibes

I felt a whole lot more flexible while stretching out. And afterwards, my muscles didn't feel as burny and trembly. Is that even possible in just a week? :eek:

I totally loved running at the reservoir on grass by the water. The podcast was rocking and really helped with the timing. Today was a whole different experience.

BUT...I can't breathe when I'm running. I wheeze to the point of passing out, and my chest (lungs/heart?) hurts so bad. I've been smoking for X years (too long to admit) and still haven't kicked it completely. I think I'm going to have to repeat Week 1 until I can do it smoke free or I really am going to give myself a heart attack. :faint:

EmusGlitter
06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Ninepaw- yep.. that's about right. I will start week 4 on monday.. or even tomorrow depending on how i feel.

Rochester- I'm a heavy smoker too! I PROMISE it will get easier!! Your body will adapt so quickly. When I first started I could walk faster than the pace I jogged because I couldn't breathe. Stick on week 1 for as long as you need.. your body will catch up eventually!

Rien- I love the idea of skipping rope after/before the jogging. Do you mind if I steal?

On a side note- I think I will start week 4 tomorrow or sunday. I have already ran W3 four times this week and I might throw it in one more time tonight.

Just checking.. but are you ladies making sure to wear two sports bras? It really keeps the twins from bouncing around too much.. haha! I know that I would like to prevent sagging as much as possible. I wear one with an underwire on the bottom and layer with one that doesn't have an underwire.

Also.. this might be cheesy.. but you should try adding Eminem's 'Till I Collapse to your jogging music. Trust me.. it's not my style of music (I listen to crooners, country, and classical haha) but it has a good beat and the lyrics keep you pumped.

ninepaw
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Hello hello! Glad to see you're all doing well! :D Just thought I'd pop in and check up on you guys, since I was entirely absent yesterday due to boyfriend's surprise for me for my birthday. :) Nice job keeping up!

EmusGlitter - My issue right now is finding decent sports bras anywhere. Let's face it - Most are not made with the larger-chested in mind! Jerks... :lol:

EmusGlitter
06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
ninepaw - did you see the thread in the exercise forum about sports bras? there are many posts about different companies who do make them big enough.

So.. i start week 4 today! I hope it doesn't kill me!

grneyedmustang
06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Can I join you guys? Let me give you my background.

I have been "training" so to speak (not really structured, just running off and on) since late March. I signed up to run the Peachtree Road Race (a 10K) here in Atlanta and the reality has set in since I have a little less than a month to train. So here I am, asking myself what have I done and am I going to be ready!!! I need support and enthusiasm and a "structured" training program, so I decided to give this a shot. :)

Question from a newb - is anyone weight training while doing this program? How are you fitting it in?

ninepaw
06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
My issue is that I want to try things on before I buy them, and a lot of people seem to buy theirs over the internet. So I'm trying to see what I can find in stores... Slow progress, but whatever. I'll figure something out!

Welcome grneyedmustang! :D

I'm supposed to be doing W2D1 today, but I've been feeling kinda crampy and gross today... Might put it off until tomorrow. :( Doesn't encourage me much that as it gets more towards afternoon, it's getting warmer and warmer outside... Ick.

EmusGlitter
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
ninepaw - good luck finding good ones. haha.

Grneyed - I am definitely making sure to weight train. I do the program 4-5 times a week for 40-60 minutes each time rather than 20 min 3 times a week. I also do calisthenics for about 30 minutes after each run. You know, push ups, lunges, core, etc. etc. And 2 times a week I lift. Good luck training for the 10k!

Rochester
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I have two running buddies! I'm so excited! :D

Awhile ago, I noticed that several facebook friends were discussing weight/exercise challenges, so I created a group where we could all hang out (similar to 3FC but much smaller).

Well, when I started C25k, I started posting about it on the group page. Yesterday, one of my friends asked me for more info. I told her about it and asked if she wanted to run together. Then another friend wanted to run with us...and she's so committed she changed her work schedule! So...we're starting tomorrow! :)

And they're both willing to shoot for the goal of running a 5K in October!

When I did the weight loss/exercise thing before I did it all on my with no support or accountability, so when I started to slip, there was no one there to catch me. This time around, I've decided to do things differently.

@Diana - I definitely recommend Enell bras (and not just because Oprah likes them! ;) ) I bought one a couple years ago when I was exercising and loved it! I'm desperately wanting to fit back into it, but for now I just strap the girls down with two very tight sports bras. Serious uni-boob, but they ain't going no where! :lol:

@Emus - Are you sill smoking or did you quit?

@grneyedmustang - A 10K?!? :eek: You are my hero!

EmusGlitter
06-07-2010, 06:40 PM
rochester - i am smoking anywhere from1 to 2 packs a day. The first time I did this program i was able to jog 3 miles, walk 1 mile, and then jog 2 more miles even as a smoker. haha. it was just the beginning that killed me. And i'm pretty sure i was stuck on week 4 for 3 weeks and week 5 for 2 weeks. congrats on finding running buddies! I'm so happy for you!

sha25
06-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello ladies!! I would love to join this thread!! Just the kick in the butt I needed. I started C25K a while back and ended up getting stuck at the end of the 2nd week into the 3rd week. So I think I will start over tomorrow!! It will be great to have a place to come to find support..

So tomorrow is w1d1 for me.. :D

grneyedmustang
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
So I started Week 4 Day 1, kind of light considering the fact that I've been attempting to run, since I've been on vacation the past eight days. I made it through, but the last 5 minute run had me a bit. I beat it though...hee hee hee. Rochester, glad to know I'm someone's hero :) thanks for the inspiration! I have a long way to go though, between now and July 4. My goal is to finish the 10k in less than 90 minutes, so hopefully I'll get there! I also have noticed that running is making me look leaner, even though the scale isn't reflecting it so much. And I've also noticed that I think people are impressed that this big girl can run a little!

Emus, hang in there! You can beat those cigarettes! LOL.

Sha, welcome! I use the "I will not be defeated by the treadmill" mantra...maybe it will help keep you inspired! Good music helps also. I'm going to buy that Eminem song that Emus suggested! I also use house, drum 'n' bass, or old bass music for running music. The fast beat helps keep me moving!

ninepaw
06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Happy to hear that everyone is still enthusiastic! :D I'm looking forward to running W2D1 tomorrow morning, since I never got to it tooday! :oops: I'm feeling a little bit like a bum that it's taking me this long to get to it, but at least I'm still intending to get there, right!?

girlonfire
06-08-2010, 02:04 AM
I just finished W1D1 today. I didn't realize how thoroughly it would kick my butt! I even stopped once...I feel so ashamed I couldn't go all the way through. Oh well, here's to going through on Wednesday!

Rochester
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Welcome Sha! :)

I just finished W1D1 today. I didn't realize how thoroughly it would kick my butt! I even stopped once...I feel so ashamed I couldn't go all the way through. Oh well, here's to going through on Wednesday!

You rock peachykeen! :cheer2:

My first two days my intervals got shorter and shorter and I only did 15 minutes instead of 20. I'm repeating Week 1 this week, because I didn't feel like I'd accomplished what I needed to last week. I did Day 1 for the second time this morning and it was EASY. I kid you not! :eek:

How is that possible? I mean, two weeks ago I got tired walking to from my front door to my car, and now I'm saying that running is easy? :running:

Have a beautiful healthy day, all! :hug:

sha25
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Well I got through w1d1 just fine, it was actually pretty easy. (reminder though I did this a few weeks back and repeated week 1 once) So after my warm up/run walk intervals and cool down I increased the incline and walked for another 20 min. I have to build up my endurance though to run more.

Last time when I stopped it was because I actually hurt my knee doing yard work. I stopped running and started walking on an incline at a much slower pace to give my knee some time to heal. Plus I used to smoke for many, many years and I feel like I can't get past the walk2/run2. I think it is more of a mental block then a physical one. My knee didn't hurt today while running so I am happy about that.:)

grneyedmustang- I'll check out that Eminem song too that Emus suggested. I have a awesome playlist I use for my workouts.. Linken Park, Korn, Disturbed just to name a few really get my butt in gear.

The sports bra topic- The only thing I have found that works for me is I usually wear a cheap one I brought from bob's with my regular bra underneath. I am a 38DDD, for now. Hoping they go down as I lose more weight. Even before I gained weight I was always large up top.

Have a great day everyone!!:D

knobhdy
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi :wave:

I started the C25K in April, but then I broke a toe and that really hampered my progress. Still in May I was at an event and running around and up and down hills (being chased, of course) and I realized I loved the endurance I gained from just a few weeks of the C25K.

So now that my injuries are under control again, I am back to it. I just started Week 2, and I would love to join this support group.

For most of my life I have held the belief that one should only run when being chased, but lately I have discovered that following that philosophy, just means that when you are being chased all you get is tired. So a'training I will go.... :D

jules1216
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
My name is Julie and today is Day 1, I am so out of shape but I did the first day. I live in the woods and I have some walking trails that I haven't put to good use till now. It is mostly up and down but there are a few flats, I was able to time the "running" more like jogging to the flater spots. I ran, walked, biked, skated danced years ago and I have leftover baby weight from my almost 23 year old daughter.

PS: My dogs were hilarious when I took off jogging...they were like waht the heck are you trying to do....

ninepaw
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
A big happy welcome to the both of you! :D Always happy to have more runners in our little family!

Sha - Glad to hear you had an easy time back into it!

PeachyKeen - Don't be hard on yourself! Just get out there and go for day 2, then day 3... And you can repeat the week, if you feel so inclined(like Rochester is doing!). This is about getting you comfortable with running, so you just do what you need to do and don't worry about anything else! ;)

I'm supposed to be going out for W2D1 today... I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little afraid. I don't know how well I can do on those 90 second runs that are supposed to happen... But I gess I get 2 minute walks for a reason! Just kind of a scary thought to me right now... Who knows, I may end up deciding to redo week 1 after doing this! Or not. We'll see. :) Keep up the good work everyone! I'm really enjoying checking back on all of us and seeing the progress happen. :grouphug:

Im On A Boat
06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi I want to join your group too. I can easily run 5 to 6 miles, have been a runner for a long time. I just wasn't happy with my speed & still felt clumsy sometimes when I ran. First part of this year I started the c25k and went all the way through the 4th week & started getting knee pains. I quit for a while to let it heal, went to a running shop & got analyzed & got proper shoes for me. I know I could have just continued from where I was but I decided to start over with the program again & I use the program to actually increase my speed with the intervals. I am on W4, I do the program 3 times a week & up my speed a little each day, I also work out in the gym 3 days a week & on the other day of the week I just go for a run, on my run day I don't worry about speed & run anywhere from 3 to 6 miles.

Good luck everyone!

Dee :running:

ninepaw
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Welcome Dee! :wave: It'll be great to have a seasoned runner, if you will, join our midsts! ;)

I just got back from W2D1 and I have to say... That was BRUTAL! For real! I realize everything only increased by 30 seconds, but I have to say that 2 minutes of walking between 90 second running intervals goes by waaaay too fast for my liking. By the end of it I was actually talking/yelling at myself. "This is going to be the last run, don't you DARE give up now!" "Only 20 more seconds, come on!!!" etc!

One question! Anyone know a good stretch for like... The outside of your calf down around the ankle? That's what was bugging me today. I didn't even notice until I was done and had a second to think that I had absolutely NO pain or discomfort in my hips! :cheer2: Hooray!

Rochester
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Hello new peeps! :wave:

@Im On A Boat - 5 or 6 miles?!? I'm in awe! :yay:

@Diana - Wow, you sure make Week 2 sound like something to look forward to! :p I'm sure you'll adjust to the increase and be fine!

Are you referring to the soleus or the achilles? Look at this picture (http://healthinformation.centracare.com/library/healthguide/en-us/images/media/medical/hw/nr55552004.jpg) of the muscles. Once you know which it is, you can google and find exercises for it.

ninepaw
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
:lol: Don't be afraid, Rochester! Repeating week one might make the transition easy for you... I'm just stupidly stubborn and HAD to move right along! Hahaha, I'm sure I'll adjust. I hope.

Thanks for the picture, I think it's actually kind of both. Well, actually, mostly the Soleus. It's weird though, I wake up in the mornings and my achille's is usually sore. Blech. I'll have to look into it. :)

Im On A Boat
06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Diana - the two best stretches for that area in my opinion are; find a small step, I like to use the curb because it isn't as high as a regular stair stip, stand with as much of your heels hanging of the curb or step as you can & then try to lower your heels down some, helps to hold a road sign or whatever to you can do it without falling off the curb or losing your balance - the other one that stretches real good is if your able sit cross-legged (indian style if possible concentrate on firmly pressing your feet on the floor & bring your knees up & together in front of your chest (stretches amazingly well for such a simple stretch). Hope those help.

ninepaw
06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you Dee! :D I'll be sure to remember that! Awesome.

jules1216
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
week 1 day 1 down...my "run" was more of a jog and my dogs didn't know what to think when I took off each time....

EmusGlitter
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
week 1 day 1 down...my "run" was more of a jog and my dogs didn't know what to think when I took off each time....

hahahahaha!!!! That's soooo cute!!!! I have a pomeranian who couldn't finish the 3 mile jog with me. He literally just stopped and laid down at mile 2.5. haha.. So I had to pick him up and finish it.

And also.. I think the "run" is supposed to be a jog.. especially the first week.

EmusGlitter
06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
grneyedmustang- I'll check out that Eminem song too that Emus suggested. I have a awesome playlist I use for my workouts.. Linken Park, Korn, Disturbed just to name a few really get my butt in gear.

I have a very similar playlist. You need good music to keep it going. Also.. I like music where I can run to the rhythm. Haha. But the reason I like that Eminem song so much is because A. you can run to the beat and B. I like to pretend he's talking about running, even though he's not. For some reason hearing "'til my legs give out" gives me that little extra motivation I need.

ninepaw
06-09-2010, 04:26 AM

:lol: I'm gonna be house sitting in a week or two, and I'll be watching their dog as well... Wonder how she'd react if I took her out on one of my days? (I just looked... Apparently I'm supposed to start tomorrow! I'm so good at keeping track of stuff... :lol:)

My running is also a jog. I'm perfectly okay with that, though! Even jogging is better than my usual alternative of nothing! :) Just do what's comfortable, right??

knobhdy
06-09-2010, 08:20 AM
On the topic of songs, I have found a few (not as many as I need) that work perfectly for a 6 mph jog. You run exactly to the beat.

Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria
Burn it to the Ground by Nickleback
Revolution Deathsquad by Dragonforce (not as bad a song as it sounds)
How to You Love me Now by Hey Monday (This one only works most of the time, cause the tempo changes as the song goes along...)

I totally need more songs to run to.

sha25
06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Hello new ladies :wave:

I was wondering what others are doing on their off days from C25K??

Some of mine include:

I weight train 3 days a week.
Bike ride
I walk on the treadmill at an high incline
I have a friend who is a Zumba instructor but I can only go occassionally.:(
It is a lot of fun I'd like to go more..

If you do weights are you doing them on your days off from c25k?

I'm trying to work out a sched. I take off entirely 1 day per week, usually Sunday's...

Im On A Boat
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
knobhdy - I have a list of about 100 songs I run too, not all of them work the best for 6 mph run, but I can always skip the song if I am not feeling it. What I did was post a question on my facebook asking all my friends to give me suggestions for workout and/or running songs, oh I got all kinds of suggestions, songs I never would have thought about.

sha25 I don't really have an off day;

Mon., Wed., Fri., I work out at the gym with weight training & ride the stationary bike.

Tues., Thurs., Sat., I do c25k - but they are really hard workouts because I use the intervals to increase speed.

Sun., is my actual run day, I get out on Sunday & just run for distance and/or a paticular place that I want to run, just whatever I am in the mood for, I try to plan my run distance according to what else I have planned for the day, if I am going water skiing or hiking or something like that I will run a shorter distance, if the weather is rainy or I have nothing planned I will run a longer distance. This run I don't worry about speed, I just go where I want & do whatever I feel like doing.

ninepaw
06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Personally I haven't really been doing anything with my off days... Which I'm beginning to think is a big mistake, because I've seen like... No movement outside of the same four pounds or so on my scale for a good two and a half weeks now. I just don't know what I'd do to not like... overwork myself. I guess walking is a good option, and going to the gym for some stationary bike and weights might not be bad(I haven't really started weight training AT ALL so far)... I just started a yoga class at my school on Monday, so that's M-Th evenings, which is right when I'd normally go to Zumba... Which is a bummer, because I *love* zumba! But yoga is only si weeks, so I guess I could throw that back in after... When I'm most of the way through this program! Holy crap! :lol:

So the short version is, I don't do anything right now when I'm not doing C25K, but I think I should probably change that!

grneyedmustang
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi all, checking in for today. I've been feeling like crap for the last two days so I didn't run yesterday. What's weird is I felt great after I ran on Monday. I think I haven't been sleeping well so that's what's got me feeling like I'm not "100%". I am going to go run today though (Wk 4, Day 1 again) to see if that helps me feel better. I don't have an appetite but I ate lunch anyway. I figured I REALLY need to make sure I'm eating if I'm attempting to RUN! Wish me luck all...

I need to be doing "something" on the days off too. Especially since this race is less than a month away.

knobhdy, amazon has really cheap "workout mixes" of songs that are cheap to buy and good to run to. Here's one I think I'm going to buy: http://www.amazon.com/100-1-Workout-Hits/dp/B002IYBMVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1276108538&sr=8-2

Rochester
06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
On my off days, I'm doing Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones. Or, I should say, attempting to. :lol: She's kicking my %^#!!!

I'm also doing budokon every evening, and the 100 Pushups plan on run days. :eek:

Right now for music I'm using a C25K podcast (Chubby Jones). But I've definitely been thinking about a personal playlist for when I'm done with C25K. (Yeah, I'm, being optimistic. Go me! :) ) I'm thinking some of the '90s dance music would be great - "The Power" by Snap or "Pump Up the Jam" by Techtronic.

Good luck to everyone! Keep running! :running:

ap90
06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Started today!! Did W1D1 on the treadmill at the gym. Felt great and didn't feel like it was too much for me at all.

I have a question for those of you who do it on the treadmill. What speed do you set your walking and running at? I wasn't sure so I started at 3.5mph for walking and 5.5mph for running. After a few intervals it was clear that this was too easy so i changed it to 3.7 and 5.7. For my last two running intervals I did it at 6.0mph. In the end during the 28 minutes I did 1.94 mi (3.12 km). Was this about what you had at the beginning as well?

Im On A Boat
06-09-2010, 11:33 PM
ap90 - I think your speed is awesome for just beginning. I know people that have started out wallking at 2.4 & running at 3.5 and they are still getting benefits the program.

ap90
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks Dee!

girlonfire
06-10-2010, 01:30 AM
WID2 done! Thanks for the encouragement ladies; it really helped. Today was SO MUCH EASIER than Monday. Guess I just needed to push through that pain barrier because I didn't stop at all today. Although it might be due to the fact that I was doing my warm-up walk at the same speed as the in-between running walks.

Oh and I'm kinda slow; I walk at 3.5 mph and jog at 5 mph, but I might push that up to 5.5 mph when it gets easier

ninepaw
06-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Can't help with the treadmill question since I'm doing all my running outside, but hooray to you for starting, ap90! I can say, though, that doing my outside run my first one came to 1.8something miles, so not too far off! :)

Super happy things got easier peachykeen! :D Isn't it eciting how quickly we can adjust??

W2D2 for me tomorrow, probably in the evening after my yoga class! Super stoked... And I'll most likely have company, since I'm going to be house/dog sitting! :lol:

knobhdy
06-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I walk at 3.5 and run at 6. I expect to get faster as I go along, but that kicks my butt for now. W2/D2 tonight.

Yesterday I had my first go round with the personal trainer. She is good. Mostly free weights, with hard cardio intervals in between. Still I think we (My BFF is with me on these) surprised her with how much strength and endurance we already had.
I imagine she will adjust her plan for next week and we will really gets our butts handed to us. :D

sha25
06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
W1D2- for me today. Got through it great!! I am used to walking fast for long distances so I find that I stay on the treadmill after I am done and walk for awhile and burn some extra calories. I got myself a pedometer yesterday and have been haing fun trying to rack up my steps. By 9:45 this morning I am at 7100, lol. But that is with 50 min on the treadmill.

I use my treadmill at home and I walk @ 3.8-4 and run @ 5. Starting off at that pace feels good to me. I realy want to build my endurance first so I can run longer once I get there I think I will repeat C25K to increase my speed.

peachykeen62- We are on the same sched!!! I don't think that is a slow pace! I think you start where you are comfortable and then work your way up from there:)

Have a great day everyone.:D

ap90
06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys for all your input on the speed! I think when I do W1D2 today I will do 3.5 and then 6.0 for running. 6.0 sounds so scary though I hope I get through it!

ap90
06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Just did W1D2. Ideally I shouldn't have done it 2 days in a row but I wanted to git the entire first week into the second half of this week. I did a little better than yesterday even though I was sore. I did 2.04 mi today!

ap90
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I forgot to add, during the workout today I was holding 3 lb. weights in my hands the whole time! My arms are really disproportional to my body right now. They're huge!

Rochester
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! :cheer2: :running: :cheer3:

I learned today that I might be trying to do a wee bit too much in addition to C25k. My hamstrings and butt muscles hurt so much. Not in a good 'I've-been-working-out' kinna way, but so painful it hurts to even walk. Oops. :( Definitely time to scale it back.

grneyedmustang
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Wk 4, day 2 here. This one was a struggle. All I can say is that I'm tiiiiiii-ed right about now. Bed, bath and beyond here I come!!!!!!! :yawn:

Rochester, how much strength training are you doing in addition? Right now, I'm doing between 20 and 30 minutes, but tonight I didn't do any. How often do you rest?

Im On A Boat
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
ap90 - Wow that sounds like a killer workout with the weights. Good for you.

Rochester - You might need a rest day.

Well I was suppose to do c25k today but I decided to do my regular run today. I felt good but I really over did it! I ran 4 miles today at much faster than normal, just wanted to see how well I was doing on increasing speed. I will be taking tomorrow off, no exercise what so ever. NONE! I didn't realize at the time I went for the run that are temperature was 98 degrees but the heat index was 103 degrees & the humidy was high today. I was a little sore after running, but not really hurting, I mostly just knew where my muscles were. Main thing was that I got so dizzy twce after the run & that is so not cool.

Im On A Boat
06-10-2010, 11:25 PM
grneyedmustang - W4 was by far my favorite week, D1 seems ok not overly hard, D2 kicked my butt then D3 was a breeze. Hope your day 3 is great for you.

ap90
06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Taking the day off seems like a good idea Dee. You are clearly working very hard so it is very well deserved. There is a such thing as too much of a good thing so a day of relaxation should put you back into gear. I don't think any of us would wanna see you faint after a workout!

ninepaw
06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Ack! I was supposed to do W2D2 today... But I tried to run it with the dog I'm watching this weekend, and it just wasn't gonna happen. :rolleyes: So I'll try to do it tomorrow... Minus the dog. Ugh.

jules1216
06-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Week 1 Day 2, was last night...snorted a bug, ate another, my dogs disapperaed on me...but I made it...at one point I thought I wouldnt. Sunday will be my day 3. I have at least one if not both grandboys from Thursday nigh until Sunday afternoon. I picked Tuesday, Thursday (after work/befoe babysitting? and Sunday evening after they leave.

I have to say all of you are inspiring and I love reading your tips

Rochester
06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh my goodness....all the dog and bug trauma!!! :lol:

Rochester, how much strength training are you doing in addition? Right now, I'm doing between 20 and 30 minutes, but tonight I didn't do any. How often do you rest?

Um, too much! :o I'm such an over-achiever.

I was trying to do the 100 Pushups Plan on run days, a Jillian Michaels full-body toning DVD on my non-C25k days, and budokon every evening. With Sundays as a rest day.

Yup, I am so not there yet! :)

ninepaw
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
:lol: Everyone is having dog issues! And apparently bug issues, too! As if getting out there to run wasn't hard enough!

Rochester - You'll get there! :D You just aren't there yet.

It's super windy right now where I am, which I'm sure will make for an interesting running experience if/when I get out there for W2D2. Bleh. So not feeling it today... But after yesterday's attempt just turned into a walk, I feel like I have to. Hope everyone is feeling good today!

MyBodyisMyTemple
06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

Boy am I glad I found this thread!!! I was planning to start the C25K today, and then I stumble upon this support thread. What great timing! So instead of taking my dog with me as planned (thanks for the stories ladies LOL), I'll just go in the evening instead of our usual 2 mile walk.

Sign me up (just an FYI Ninepaw the light blue font on pg 1 with the names, etc. is really hard for me to read)!

I have been wanting to do C25K for about 4 years. Yikes!

I do know that I, too, need a good sports bra and I also will need to purchase some better running shoes. However, in the meantime I will run in the sneakers that I currently have so that I don't have an excuse to put it off.

Wish me well! And ladies please keep posting your experiences, it helps a lot!

sha25
06-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Poppin in to see how everyone is doing. You all had me laughing with the bugs and dogs drama!! When I was a kid every summer while running to jump in the pool I would manage to get a beatle stuck in my throat. :dizzy: It has become the family joke!!

MyBodyisMyTemple-:wave:Welcome to this thread and good luck with your first run.

What is everyone's motivation for doing C25K, for me of course its become healthly, losing weight but my big motivation, I have a 12 yr old daughter who is currently very into sports. She is on the track team at school and I want to run a 5k with her. She is right at that age, not a teen but no longer a "kid". I adore her but we butt heads a lot, she has that "girl" attitude and is going through some body changes. I know it's the age but sometimes it sad!!! I remember when I acted like she does to my mother and I feel bad now. ;) I would so love to have something to bond with her that we both could be proud of and enjoy together... Plus I think it would be pretty cool if I could keep up with a 12yr old...:D

Have a great weekend everyone!! :D

girlonfire
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Doing W1D3 today! I'm excited to see how it turns out this time; I hope it's easier. And about the bug woes, I run inside on a treadmill when I do C25K so I've never experienced that yet. Bet I will though...

Rochester
06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
@MyBody - Welcome! Be careful running in the wrong shoes...you can sustain some serious injuries that way.

@Diana - Hope you don't get blowed away like Mary Poppins. ;)

@Peachy - You go girl! You can do it! :D

My motivation for doing C25K at first was just that I really wanted to try something that I've always considered impossible. (Me? Run? :lol:)

Now I'm realizing that it is also giving me a different focus about exercise. I'm not just going to the gym to workout because I'm fat. I'm doing this because there's an athlete inside of me that's screaming to be free. I'm training, with the goal of running a 5K in October.:running:

jules1216
06-11-2010, 04:24 PM
What is everyone's motivation for doing C25K, for me of course its become healthly, losing weight but my big motivation, I have a 12 yr old daughter who is currently very into sports. She is on the track team at school and I want to run a 5k with her. She is right at that age, not a teen but no longer a "kid". I adore her but we butt heads a lot, she has that "girl" attitude and is going through some body changes. I know it's the age but sometimes it sad!!! I remember when I acted like she does to my mother and I feel bad now. ;) I would so love to have something to bond with her that we both could be proud of and enjoy together... Plus I think it would be pretty cool if I could keep up with a 12yr old...:D

:D

My mother just passed away last month after a 18 month battle with cancer....I stress ate and am back one pound short of my highest weight ever...the almost 30 minute alone time doing something for just me is soothing even with my crazy dogs and the bug issues....

MyBodyisMyTemple
06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
@MyBody - Welcome! Be careful running in the wrong shoes...you can sustain some serious injuries that way.

hi and thanks! They're not the 'wrong' shoes they're just not the 'best' shoes. So I'm going to look into getting some better ones.

MyBodyisMyTemple
06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
ok so I decided not to wait until this evening b/c why put off doing later what I can do now? I just did the running at home (outside under the shade tree LOL) so that I wouldn't be running out in the hot sun.

In any event, I just finished W1D1, and I'm very proud that 'I've still got it' :D LOL.

Noticed that I need to do a bit more stretching especially with the arthritis in my knee.

I look forward to getting to know you all more.

knobhdy
06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Chickies,
I managed to squeeze in W2D2 on Thursday, but between that and the personal trainer on Wednesday, I am wiped. Today is running around with my friends and tomorrow I am back to the gym to finish up week2.

ninepaw
06-12-2010, 01:29 PM
So much going on here all the time! Welcome to the new, glad to hear from the old!

I think W2 is just going to have to wait until Monday Evening... I'll start it over then. All kinda of weird things keep popping up here where I'm house sitting that I keep putting it off. Excuses? Sure, probably. But I like running around my home neighboorhood, which I'm more familiar with... It's also much flatter than the neighboorhood I'm in right now for house sitting. Lots of hills... And I'm just not okay with that! Running is hard enough as it is. ;)

As for my personal reason for doing C25K... I really just wanted the challenge of it. I've never ever been good at running. It was always my most dreaded thing in PE classes and the like... So I wanted to improve myself in that area. Now I have a goal of running a 5K in September, and I even have my mom planning to train for it too when she gets back from the trip she's on. Should be interesting!

grneyedmustang
06-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Jules...hugs to you for your loss :hug:

Rochester, hope you're getting your rest in!

My personal reason for C25K...I am running a 10k on july 4. I have been "training" since late March but not in a structured way. I think the structure will help me when I run the race...help me control my breathing and stuff. I did Wk 4 day 2 again today. I felt a little better than I did on Thursday. I also did an extra "circuit" (run/walk). Tomorrow I'm going to run/walk for 60+ minutes...I will do that once every weekend until the race.

I also found out what bad/old shoes do to your feet on Thursday. I have a pair of old New Balance that I use all the time for my general workouts (they look like they are still in "good" condition). I ran in them Thursday...my feet were screaming after I got done!

Next weekend I am going to a running store and getting a pair of shoes as my "treat" for running the race.

ap90
06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Finished up week 1 today!! Gonna begin Week 2 on Monday.

Personally, I do C25K because I have never been a runner. I was always self conscious. I always hated how I was usually last, second last, or third last to come back from run days in school. It's always something I've wanted to do and I figured now's the time!

SoonToBeHealthyHart
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi all! I'm starting W2D1 tomorrow morning. I had some success with this program last year, but didn't keep up with my training. I've signed up for a 5k in mid-August, so I hope that will be enough motivation for me!

MyBodyisMyTemple
06-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Completed W1D2 today.

The reason I want to do C25K is because running is a great and inexpensive way to get healthy, build up my strength and endurance, lose weight, release stress and create definition in my body.

Keep up the great work everyone!

jules1216
06-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I am doing W1D3 after the grandson leaves and the heat of the day passes...thank goodness for wooded trails...I already got a walking workout today...my car battery just died...no warning no nothing...we got a jump thought it would be good enough to get home but no...we had to walk about a mile to get a new one with me carrying my almost 40 pound grandson in the heat of the day..hubby had to carry a 60 lb battery back...I hear now promise if I see anyone walking carrying a battery I will stop and give them a ride....

sha25
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I did W1D3 on sat!! I run on my treadmill and my daughter accidently let the dogs out and they ran away!! SO I had to stop in the middle and on foot started chasing them! I was so excited because we have woods next to our house and it is a very large steep hill! I RAN up it and kept on running until I caught them. I used to have trouble and get out of breathe just walking up the hill...Then returned home and finished on the treadmill!!:carrot:

@jules1216- I am so sorry about the loss of your mother :hug:. I to know the grief of loss. The loss of my son triggered my weight gain. Be proud that you are taking action for you and your health.

@grneyedmustang- Have you run in a marathon before or is the 10K your first?

@ ninepaw- I'm hoping to be ready to run in Sept also. I live in NY and they have a race that follows the foot steps of a fallen fire fighter that lost his life on 9/11 after running to the world trade center.

Ok so tomorrow W2D1!! I'll let ya know how I do!! :D

Rochester
06-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I think I need to get a dog. It seems to make C25K so much more interesting. :lol:

shortstuff17
06-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Count me in! I'm starting Tuesday! I asked my friend and the two of us are going to get our butts going! :)

freedomreins
06-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that you're all doing great sticking to the program. My boyfriend likes to run but I don't like running outside because I don't like people watching me as I flap around with no coordination... anyway, I think doing the C25k program might be a really good idea so that we can run together over the summer!

Has anyone found any podcasts with Top 40 music? Like Justin Timberlake's 'Carry Out' for example? It's on my weight lifting playlist at the moment and I like the beat of it though it may not be the best for running. Has anyone tried making their own podcast with their favourite music? I might consider doing this because I think it'd be great to choose my own tracks!

TOM is visiting now and I just can't motivate myself to do sweaty exercise when it's here so I will try to start C25k next week!

EmusGlitter
06-14-2010, 11:58 AM
So.. I haven't done any exercise at all this past week. Gained back my 2 lbs that I lost. :( I just can't seem to get motivated enough to get off my lazy butt. I will start again this week. Week 4.. here we go!

Im On A Boat
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Glad to see everyone is running, I didn't run Friday because I had planned to take that day off after over doing it. Sat & Sun I didn't run because Sat. it was 100 degrees & Sun. was 101 degrees with high humidity, hoping they are right about the rains today & I will go for a long run in the rain this evening. Hope everyone is having a good day.

bama girl
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I am thinking about starting over because I did the first two weeks on a treadmill and then running outside made me want to die. I have only gotten to W3D1, so it's not that large of a setback.

grneyedmustang
06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Sha25, unless you count way back when I used to play basketball, this is my first "official" race. My motivation for doing it comes from multiple sources; my doctor recommended marathons and such as a way to get in shape, my wanting to be a runner (I've always HATED running), the feeling of accomplishment I'll have when I have completed it, and two very selfish reasons...I can't stand my boss and me completing the race will be one more thing I'll have done which will piss him off; and I have a friend who doesn't work out AT ALL who has completed this race. I figured if she did it, I should be able to also!

I didn't work out yesterday because it is hot and MISERABLE here. I suck. :( I ran today though (Wk4 day 2 again), inside...I keep telling myself that I need to run outside so I can better prepare for the race. I usually run outside on the weekends but I didn't this weekend. :(

Glad to see all the new people joining us!

ap90
06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Week 2 Day 1 done! 2.17 mi total. I am totally getting better at this :)

Rochester
06-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Woohoo, everyone is doing fantastic! :D

Starting tomorrow morning, I'm going to attempt W2 after doing W1 twice. :eek:

MyBodyisMyTemple
06-15-2010, 01:43 AM
ok W1D3 kicked my butt! I couldn't even finish. By the time I got to the 3rd minute of running, I was totally out of breath. Thank goodness, I planned on spending a couple of extra days doing W1.

Whoo... ok I can do this!

jules1216
06-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Tonight would be my W2D1 but should I do W1 again like some others???

Rochester
06-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Tonight would be my W2D1 but should I do W1 again like some others???

There's no "rule" about repeating or not repeating weeks. Depends on how you feel.

I repeated W1 a second time because I was barely completing the intervals at the end of the first week and didn't feel ready to advance. I did W2D1 this morning, and I know I was ready because I breezed through the first 60 seconds of the running intervals but had to push myself to complete the full 90 seconds. Challenging but not impossible.

Happy running everybody! :running: :cheer2: :running:

knobhdy
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I finished Week 2 last night. My good sneakers were still wet from the weekend, though so I wore my less good ones.... Big Mistake. My feet hurt today. Legs, shins and joins still okay though, so I didn't do any damage, at least. :)

I am getting a break today, and personal trainer tomorrow, so Thursday I will begin week 3, with the 3 minutes of running. :yikes:

sha25
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
W2D1 went well yesterday. I felt I had to really push to get through the 2 min runs towards the end but I did it.. I do however feel really drained yesterday and today. Don't know if the two are connected but I am exhausted again... Good thing today is a off day so I will take a break from working out.

Jules- It really depends on how your body feels. I probably will repeat week two before moving onto week three, but I will decide once I finish up week 2.

ap90- way to go!! :bravo:

knobhdy- Good luck with the personal trainer, let us know how that goes.;)

grneyedmustang- Wow, I am impressed that you chose to start with a 10k... LOL, why would it piss off your boss?? Just curious.....:?:

bama girl- I am also doing it on a treadmill, I think for me I will complete the program on it and then repeat it outside. I have heard that running outside is completely different.

Have a good day everyone!!:D

grneyedmustang
06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
grneyedmustang- Wow, I am impressed that you chose to start with a 10k... LOL, why would it piss off your boss?? Just curious.....:?:

Have a good day everyone!!:D

My boss has major insecurity issues where it comes to me. He can't stand me (and the feeling's mutual). So anything that I've done that he hasn't been able to do, he's jealous. So he has registered to do this race many times, but has always wimped out and not ran it. So when I complete it, it's just one more reason for him to be jealous of me. And I'm not going to lie, I am taking great pleasure in it. :devil:

SoonToBeHealthyHart
06-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Okay, tonight is W2D1 over again. Yuck! I totally skipped my last two runs because of the humidity, and I feel totally lame. Tonight I'm running no matter what happens! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get through a run in 90% humidity? I'd rather stick to running outside then switching to a treadmill...

ninepaw
06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
:lol: Grneyedmustang, that is fantastic. I know I do things like that sometimes.... Spite can just be so much fun! ;)

Jules, It's entirely up to you if you want to repeat or not! Nothing is truly set in stone. If you're feeling good about the way you finished out week 1, great! If you felt like you could have done better and want to improve on that more, that works too! :) It's all about making the program practical for yourself!

As for me, I'm thinking I need to run W2D1 again this evening, since the first time I ran it was a week ago! :o House sitting really messed my stuff up! Hopefully I can still manage to get through it... :lol: The first time was hard enough!

grneyedmustang
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Okay, tonight is W2D1 over again. Yuck! I totally skipped my last two runs because of the humidity, and I feel totally lame. Tonight I'm running no matter what happens! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get through a run in 90% humidity? I'd rather stick to running outside then switching to a treadmill...

I can't advise on this one because we're going through the same here. Someone please let us know. ;)

shortstuff17
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM

I'm not sure exactly where you live but here in Michigan it gets pretty humid, so I suggest running later in the day and to have lots of water to stay hydrated. Light, breathable clothing helps as well but its going to feel sticky no matter what. A cool shower afterwards is always helps. Hope this helps, its just a hard thing to beat...

tl0127
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I would like to start this program. I will start on monday 21!

knobhdy
06-15-2010, 05:31 PM
The one summer, I did lots of exercise outside, I ended up mostly working out after dark... of course I was unemployed at the time so that may not be the golden solution. But for that summer at least, I did a lot of midnight bike rides and oh boy was I fit come fall.

jules1216
06-15-2010, 07:57 PM
w2d1 down..it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it definitely wasn't easy...my ipod nano's screen went blank...I am hoping it was from the sweat and will come back on when it dries...

ninepaw
06-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Great job for making it through, Jules! Hope your iPod decide to brighten up again soon!!!

I just got back a few minutes ago from my redo of W2D1, and I feel great! Like, seriouly great! Even though it's been a week since I did it the first time, this one still seemed to be les brutal on me than the other one. No swearing at myself as I was running! :lol: I just plowed on through it, sometimes having to ease up on the pace so I didn't wear down too quickly on each run... But I made it!!! It was so nice, too. I wasn't really watching the counts of which run out of eight(or however many it was today), just the time I had in each... And when I finally checked the rounds, I was on my final walk, and approaching my lat run! It's getting to be less of a chore in that sense, and I am SO excited about that! :broc:

I considered counting this a W2D2 and just continuing on from there, but I figured that it's not gonna hurt me or anything to have four week two days. ;) Seriously you guys, I'm feeling almost as elated right now as I did when I did W1D1. What's up with that??? :lol: Maybe I just missed having real exercise the last five days! How weird would THAT be!? :rofl:

sha25
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Well today W2D2 did not go good at all. On my first run I started getting this pain in my ankle area. Outside of my foot right next to the ankle bone in that dip area. I thought maybe achilles tendon, but I am really not sure after googling it. Well I ended up just walking today. Going to see how I feel tomorrow and maybe try to repeat it again. First my knee and now this. I am frustrated today!:mad:

Anyone ever feel this before?????

kateleestar
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm glad I found this! I'm doing w2d2 tonight! We had 88% humidity for my w2d1 and I thought I would die. I pushed through. Today's forcast isnt as bad, so I'm hoping it'll be easier. And I won't run up 4 hills this time. ;)

Yey!

ap90
06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
What songs do you guys listen to when you do the program? I really need to put together a playlist for myself.

Rochester
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I run first thing in the morning (6:30) so even if it's humid it's not hot. I can do humid. I can't do hot. There have been several days when the humidity was 80 or 90 percent and I was dripping wet. Bleck. :lol:

@ap90 - I'm using the Chubby Jones (http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/) C25K podcast. She prompts you when to run and when to walk, and she's really encouraging and funny. The music is kinna alt rock/techno dance and it's got a great beat. Some of the songs are a little trashy though - week 2 has some crazy song about Tiger Woods that is utterly inappropriate! :o ;) There are a lot of other podcasts out there if you don't like hers. A lot of people use Robert Ullrey but his voice and music drive me bonkers!

@Diana - Isn't it weird how much our bodies love to exercise? It's definitely confusing to the brain, which seems to think the body should prefer something much more sedentary! ;)

Happy running everyone! :goodvibes:running::goodvibes

ninepaw
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Sha - That sounds like the issue I had the first time I did W2D2. It could be your Soleus. At the bottom of one of the last couple pages, someone suggested a couple of ways to stretch it out, maybe give them a shot. :) Hope you're feeling better soon!

Welcome Kate! :D I can't say I envy your humidity... The more I think about it, the more I'm happy I live in California! :lol: Good for you for pushing through, though! That is awesome. :)

ap90 - I listen to all sorts of everything when I run... Just a bunch of songs that I like, though for obvious reasons only ones with a decent tempo! Some of my favorites:
- Fire Burning, Sean Kingston
- Harder to Breathe, Maroon 5
- Jump, Simple Plan
- Live Like We're Dying, Kris Allen
- Love Today, MIKA
- California Gurls, Katy Perry(That whole living in california thing probably makes this appeal to me like it does. LOL)

ap90
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the music suggestions! I had started with Robert Ullrey's podcasts but find him very boring. I'll look into chubby Jones I think.

I'm getting ready to go do W2D2!

knobhdy
06-17-2010, 08:24 AM
My personal trainer kicked my *** last night. Can we all say 2 minutes of wall squats? (Not that I got through the whole time, I took a ten second break after the first minute ten.)

I tried to run during one of my cardio intervals but couldn't do it after everything else. I think I need to stretch out more. This afternoon I start week 3. I am kinda looking forward to it.

grneyedmustang
06-17-2010, 08:55 AM
I need inspiration. I feel like I'm not getting better, not progressing. I don't know if it's the heat or what, but I don't know what to do where I feel like I'm not "about to die" when I get done!

Did 50 minutes yesterday - Wk 4 day 3.

tl0127
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
You all are very inspirational, I am going to start monday and I need all the motivation I can get:hug:

ap90
06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I forgot my iPod at home yesterday so W2D2 didn't happen. So that will be today. Instead I did my own workout that has left me awfully sore. I hope I can make it through today's workout.

sha25
06-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the advice ninepaw- I went back and read the post for streching that area. I am actually feeling good today after resting it yesterday and today. So I will be doing W2D2 tomorrow. Wish me luck ;)

ap90- I listen to Linken park, Korn, disturbed, system of a down. I can't post the names of the songs here, lol. You may all thing I have anger issues. :D I don't at all but those types of songs really get me moving!!

knobhdy- Yuck wall squats!! I can't stand them but they really tone ya up!!

grneyedmustang- It's probably the humidity. MAke sure you drink plenty of water and stay hydrated!!

tl0127- Welcome to the thread!! Let us know how you make out on Monday!!:)

ap90- I could never workout without music!! So I totally understand.

Have a terrific day everyone!!

Im On A Boat
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Only have a couple of moments but wanted to stop by and say hi. Everyone seems to be doing great.

grneyedmustang - I think you are doing great, I am doing the program just for increasing my speed, that is what I use the intervals for. I am willing to bet that you are progressing, and the humidity is wrecking havoc on you. It is killing me, I went for my run last night at 11:30 & the humidity was still really bad. You don't live that far from me & your area is very close in heat & humidity as it is here. Just for an example I ran 6 miles a week ago at 7 pm without a problem, even at 11:30 last night after 3 miles I was wheezing. I can't run that late every day so I just have to make adjustments for it. Once we get a couple really good rains & the humidity isn't stuck way up there it will help. I hope this helps some in making you feel like it is just not you progressing.

girlonfire
06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
I am babysitting my cousin for a week and due to issues I can't get into right now, she is very dependent and starts to cry if I leave her alone. So, no running :(. Hopefully next week I can get back on it(I think I will repeat W1)

Rochester
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Week 2 has pretty much been a breeze. But I'm tempted to stay on it because Week 3 scares me. Three minute run!!! OMG! :fr:

Happy running everyone! :running:

Rochester
06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
I also wanted to encourage everyone to keep a C25K journal to help see your progress. Just jot down a few sentences after your run about how you felt.

I decided to do it this morning because when I was stretching out, the exercises seemed easy, but just a few weeks ago I could barely grab my foot to do the quad stretch and doing the stretch for my hips made me feel like a breathless pretzel.

I want to remember when a 60-second jog was impossible and I couldn't complete a 20 minute workout. Where I'm at seems normal, but I don't want to forget where I came from.

Just a helpful suggestion. :)

ap90
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
W2D2 done! I worked through the soreness. I did 2.24 miles which is a little better then Monday's 2.17 miles. This isn't bad at all. However, just like Rochester, I'm not looking forward to the 3-minute run either!

jules1216
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
missed my run today...car broke down again..today I didn't have to walk carrying a 2 1/2 year old....alternator is in hope that's the problem...will run in the morning...

knobhdy
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I did it. I did week3/day1 and thus did the two 3 minute runs. Yikes, they were hard, although I was able to get all the way through them, so they were not impossible. I took me the better part of each of the three minute walks to get to the point where I felt like I wasn't going to die. :)

I want to go back today and do week3/day2, but I broke a(nother) toe last night and I am not sure I am up to running today.

parkedout
06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Todays my last time of Week One, and on to Week Two!

This scared me last time, so I stuck at Week One until I absolutely HAD to move on. That time has come. Wish me luck... 90 seconds. :^::^::^:

ap90
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Good luck parkedout! Enjoy those 2 minutes of walking.

ninepaw
06-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey everybody! Sorry it's been a little bit since I posted. :) I'm happy to see, upon hopping back in, that everyone is still hanging in there!

Rochester and Co., I totally know what you mean about the 3 minute runs... I was looking at that yesterday, and I was just like, "I have to DOUBLE my running time from week two?? Aaaaah!!! I'm afraid. But I will persevere!!! :D

I just got back a few minutes ago from W2D2, and I feel good! I was especially happy when I didn't pay attention to the time at all during the first run and I didn't have any issues! Each one got a little bit harder, and the last one was a bit of a battle, but I figure progression is just like that sometimes! So hopefully day three will have me *mostly* feeling good through my runs... And then the dreaded third week... :lol:

Rochester, I love your journal idea. :) I may have to pick that up.

jules1216
06-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Everyone is doing so great!!

Rochester--ITA...good idea about the journaling

W2D2 was tough but I made it through. Since my days are Sun, Tues & Thurs and I messed up and started on Tues...I think I will do my W2D3 on Sunday and again the rest of this week and then start W3D1 on the following Sunday

Rochester
06-19-2010, 07:39 AM
W2D3.

Well, that was ugly! 72 degrees with 72% humidity at 6:30 a.m. Plus I was slightly dehydrated and not well rested. My calves were burning so much I almost started crying. I was hot and dripping wet and just plain miserable.

EXCEPT there was this moment, in the second run interval, when I found that "sweet spot" where I felt the incredible joy of running and felt like I could run and never stop. I've heard runners talk about it but that's the first time I've experienced it.

On to Week 3 with 3-minute runs! :fr:

Happy running everyone! :cheer2: :running: :cheer2:

dranaeli
06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi i would like to join as well i cant run for my life i get out of breath quickly but i have always wanted to run so here goes for my attempt

I have started the program before but i never finish as a matter of fact i never get past week one i hope that by joining i will hold myself accountable i completed w1d1 three days ago so today i am hoping to do w1d2

Also I use a tread millbut i walk a 3mph and i jog at about 4 mph.
i wear a heart rate monitor on the chest and watch and my heart beat is always higher than 160-180 just wondering if anyone else measures that.

mothermavis
06-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Finished C25k in January, long story, but quit running. New go round to improve time! Today, I finished W4D1. Rock on!

ap90
06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Even though I still had to do W2D3 I decided to graduate myself to W3D1. Wasn't bad AT ALL. The 3 minutes of running felt like a piece of cake today. I didn't regret skipping the last day of week 2 at all. My legs will probably be sore tomorrow though!

dranaeli
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM
completed w1d2 but i was not impressed with myself i think i could have done better but i least i didit

parkedout
06-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Completed W2D1. I was slow.... but I ran all 6 intervals, I DID have to add 2 (1) minute recovery walks in between the 4th and 5th intervals. It felt like I was going to DIE from the heat (86 at 545am) but I continued on.

Plan to cross train tomorrow and do week two again on Wednesday.:D

grneyedmustang
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I did not run at all the last few days. I'm kind of sad about some stuff going on in RL, but I intend on running today because I'm hoping it will help my mood a bit.

Question - is anyone else noticing that running is ruining their toes? I have had two blood blisters on my second toe since I started training.

Im On A Boat
06-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I did not run at all the last few days. I'm kind of sad about some stuff going on in RL, but I intend on running today because I'm hoping it will help my mood a bit.

Question - is anyone else noticing that running is ruining their toes? I have had two blood blisters on my second toe since I started training.

Are you running in cotton socks? That will do it. I get special running socks, love the bamboo ones, there is another kind too that I like & they specifically say Drymax. Also the socks that I use are not sized like the normal size range. Say normal socks will fit from like a size 7 to a size 11 I think. The running socks I buy are sized for size 7 to 8 size 9 to 10 size 11 to 12 etc. so they fit more snugly & protect your feet, keep them drier and much heathier when running especially in high heat or humidity.

ninepaw
06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Hello all! Glad to see we're all still up and running! ;)

I've come to th conclusion that I'm probably going to jump to W3D1 this evening. I've done 3 days of the W2 training altogether, and even though the first and second times were about a week apart, I still think that I'll be able to make it work. I'm jumping like this because I'm trying to make myself a set schedule as far as exercise goes - Yoga M-Th, C25K MWF, Gym TThSat. Nothing on Sundays - Gotta have some time to relax, right?? I may even cut down the Saturday gym time if I find it to be a bit much. I just wanted to get more going, because I just don't feel like I'm doing that much right now and that sort of bothers me. Working out nearly every day seems like a lot to me, but when I think about it the worst part is Yoga, since it's two hours... And it's not something I find particularly intense! Since the C25K workouts are only 30 minutes, and I spend an hour and a half MAX at the gym at a time, I think it's a reasonable thing to at least try to manage. :)

I'll definitely let you guys know how my jump to W3 goes this evening! 3 minute runs.... Eeeek! :o

ninepaw
06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Just got back from running W3D1 and

OH MY GOD VICTORY WAS MINE.

Sorry for the shouting, I know we tend to frown on that, but AAAAH!!!! It was a really great and really crazy half hour, to say the least. I was actually really surprised and happy with myself, because of how I did on the first running interval... For those who haven't looked ahead, W3 entails the usual 5 minute warmup/cooldow, and two repetitions of: 90 sec. jogging, 90 sec. walking, 3 minutes jogging, 3 minutes walking. When I did that first 90 second jog, I was astounded at how easy it was! At the moment when it was done and I hadn't even been expecting it, I knew that I was right in my decision to move on to this week. The first 3 minute jog was tough, but I made it through without *too* much issue. The 2nd 90 second jog was also more or less easy.... And then the second three minute jog came up. I pretty much felt like dying through most of it, I'm not gonna lie to you guys. I kept looking down and only 5-10 seconds had gone by and I came SO rediculously close to giving up, but I did it!!! I had to keep telling myself, "It's not that bad, 90 seconds is what you've been doing so you just have to get through this last one...... 40 seconds left, you can do it!!! Just think of how proud you'll be!!!" Stuff like that. And of course, I was so freaking right! As soon as the chime went off to switch to the last walking interval before the cooldown, I actually yelled "YES!!!' because I just felt so victorious! I didn't let this run beat me. I can really do this, I just have to push myself!!!

I'm sorry this is SO long, guys! I just wanted to share my experience with W3D1, because this is the first of the weeks to actually concern me a little prior to starting. I know some of you guys are supposed to be starting this one any day now! Let's get those stories up so I don't seem like such a freak! ;)

Rochester
06-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Diana, I am right there with you girl, because guess who ran two 3-minute intervals this morning!

WOO FREAKIN' HOO BABY! :dancer:

Well, ok, the second 3-minute interval I think a tortoise could have outpaced me, but I refused to stop "pretending" to run, so it counts. ;)

And can I just confess that I cried afterwards? Very happy very overwhelmed tears. I can't believe I'm doing this. Three weeks ago I was exhausted doing the 5-minute warm-up walk. I :love: C25K.

parkedout
06-22-2010, 07:44 AM
WTG you two~~~:carrot::carrot::carrot:

sha25
06-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Way to go Diana and Rochester!!!!:carrot:

I have been MIA for the last few days. I am on vacation this week, not going any place but enjoying a much needed break at home. I am still running after taking a few days off I jumped back into W2D2 on Sunday. Yesterday I decided to have a "free run". I wanted to see if I could push myself mentally past that 2 min run.. WOO HOO I DID.. I ran 1 mile straight. Walked 1/4 mile and ran another 1/2 mile then finished up walking!! I think I conquered something for myself that I needed to because my intervals end up getting weak and I have no more excuses because I can run 1 mile!!:cp:

Great job everyone!!!

grneyedmustang
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
WOW! It's good that everyone is making progress. Way to go Diana, Rochester, and Sha!

I'm On A Boat, I do use cotton socks. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely invest in some new socks to see if that helps.

I did run yesterday, Wk 4 Day 3. It was a little rough but I made it through.

jules1216
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
wow--you two have just inspired me--I am doing two more days of w2 since my days are sun-Tues-thurs and I started on a Tuesday so I feel off...so I thought I would do tuesday and thursday as w2 instead of moving to w3...now I am not sure....I do feel pretty blah today so I will probably stick with my plan...

girlonfire
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Still haven't gotten back into it. Does running after a 10 year old count?

jules1216
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Still haven't gotten back into it. Does running after a 10 year old count?

Only if a 44 years old grandma running after a 2 1/2 year old counts!!

EmusGlitter
06-22-2010, 05:44 PM
well... i haven't been running in about 2 weeks... I can't seem to motivate myself to get off my butt lately! (and then I gained 5 lbs... because I can't stop shoveling food into my mouth)

HELP!!!

pink sparkle
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Is it too late for me to join? I did W1D1 today. Surprisingly, even though I did strength training right before C25K, I didn't find the program difficult. I made it through the whole thing with no problems! :carrot:

Rochester
06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I did W1D1 today. I didn't find the program difficult. I made it through the whole thing with no problems!

You think this is easy? Ha, just wait! <evil cackle>

:D Welcome Sparkle and good luck!

Emus, first question: how's your food? I mean, what plan are you trying to follow? Why doesn't it work for you? Do you feel deprived, frustrated, confused, overwhelmed? What could you try instead? If your diet isn't working, change it! It's supposed to be a lifestyle change towards healthiness, not misery and deprivation!

Second question, what's your exercise program and routine? Why did you choose it? Do you enjoy it and look forward to it? Is it challenging enough without being impossibly painful? If your exercise isn't working, change it!

Third, what's your motivation? Why do you want to diet and exercise? Is your motivation strong enough to pull you away from the fridge or off the couch? If it's not, what can you change?

:running:
Hey all you runners, good job and good luck!
:cheer:

I'm sorta kinna thinking about doing a 5K on July 17. :eek: The town where I live has a 5K/10K in connection with the annual cheese festival. (Yes, we celebrate cheese. For reals. :cheese:) It's a really low key event, and they even a category specifically for fat people. If you're the fastest fat person, you win a trophy and the title Big Cheese. :lol:

I'm already doing 1.5 to 2 miles, so I'm thinking if I just do the C25K plan for W2 or maybe W3 and go through the intervals twice, I'd make the distance, and have a not too terrible time. I think it's doable.

But, honestly, I'm embarrassed to do it. I live in a really small town and I have a job where I interact with about 99% of the population. I'm having these horrible thoughts that I'm going to make a fool of myself and have to deal with it every day for years and years. I do NOT want to have the reputation as that fat chick who attempted to run a 5K but...dropped out halfway through/passed out and slashed her face on a rock/had a heart attack and had to be taken away by ambulance. (Omg, my brain is so messed up. ;) )

What do you guys think? Can I do it? Should I do it?

shortstuff17
06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Well I finally was able to get out there and start the program. So today was day 1 of week 1 and I must say it was easier than i thought it would be. I ran with a friend who is a little more out of shape than I am so maybe that's why it was easier, but hey i did it and i can't wait to see the improvements over the next few weeks!

pink sparkle
06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
You think this is easy? Ha, just wait! <evil cackle>

:D Welcome Sparkle and good luck!

Hi!! I think week 1 is easy (so far). I already looked ahead to other weeks so I know I'll be in here weeping within the next few weeks. :lol:

But, honestly, I'm embarrassed to do it. I live in a really small town and I have a job where I interact with about 99% of the population. I'm having these horrible thoughts that I'm going to make a fool of myself and have to deal with it every day for years and years. I do NOT want to have the reputation as that fat chick who attempted to run a 5K but...dropped out halfway through/passed out and slashed her face on a rock/had a heart attack and had to be taken away by ambulance. (Omg, my brain is so messed up. ;) )

Why do you guys think? Can I do it? Should I do it?

Such an active imagination! I think you should go for it. You're not going to fall and slash your face on a rock or have to be escorted off by ambulance. :rofl: Even if you do (and you won't), everyone will look at you as the chick who had enough guts to sign up and run a 5K while they only stood on the sidelines and watched. You can do it! :goodluck:

Rochester
06-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I am very much all about imagining the worst case scenario and obsessing about it! You have no idea how bad it can get! :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement Sparkle! :)

kariatari
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Oooh!! Can I still join? I'm doing C25k right now. Tonight I'm doing W5D3 - the first workout without intervals of walking! 20 minutes of running! Exciting!

EmusGlitter
06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Emus, first question: how's your food? I mean, what plan are you trying to follow? Why doesn't it work for you? Do you feel deprived, frustrated, confused, overwhelmed? What could you try instead? If your diet isn't working, change it! It's supposed to be a lifestyle change towards healthiness, not misery and deprivation!

Second question, what's your exercise program and routine? Why did you choose it? Do you enjoy it and look forward to it? Is it challenging enough without being impossibly painful? If your exercise isn't working, change it!

Third, what's your motivation? Why do you want to diet and exercise? Is your motivation strong enough to pull you away from the fridge or off the couch? If it's not, what can you change?

1. I haven't been doing anything. haha.. quite literally. I just all of a sudden stopped working toward my weight loss goals. I don't know why. I know I'm still fat.. I'm just too lazy.

2. My exercise program/routine USED to be as follows: c25k for 1 hour (basically, I doubled or tripled each day, ex: w3d1, I did 6 times instead of 3 times), 4-6 days a week, directly followed by 30 min of calisthenics, and full body weight training circuits of one hour 2 days a week. I really enjoy working out while I'm actually doing it... It's GOING to do it that's the tough part for me.

3. Motivation? haha.. basically I lost 40 lbs.. bought all new clothes (went from size 14 to a size 6) and then gained 20 lbs during the school year and can no longer fit into ANYTHING. I don't have money to buy a new wardrobe again nor do I want to buy clothes when I can simply lose the weight. And I hate being uncomfortable in my own skin.

Sometimes I feel like everyone is judging me.. "look at that fat chick jiggle" and that stops me from going out. I know that most people aren't even paying attention to me, but that's the thought that goes through my head.. and I get too embarrassed to go workout. I don't know how to change this mentality though...

I think you should DEFINITELY do it!!! If you finish it.. you will feel so great about yourself and this will only give you more motivation to continue working toward your fitness goals.
Worst case scenario: you can't jog the whole thing. No problem, walk for a short distance catch your breath and then jog to the finish. There are plenty of skinny people who can't jog for 5 minutes let alone 3.1 miles. And if you don't jog ALL of this one, you'll jog ALL of the next one!

So.. if you're taking a poll I vote "do it"!

kariatari
06-23-2010, 09:34 PM

DO IT!! Even if you don't think you can run it all, you can always walk it. I guarantee there will be other people who are run/walking it! (That's what I did in my first 5k, which was also on a small town! :) )

ninepaw
06-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Like everyone else, I am also on the "Run the 5k!" train, Rochester! Seriously. Even if you can't quite run the entire time, so what!? Nobody on the sidelines can judge you, because it's notl ike they're out there running it, and you will probably feel SO amazing when you finish!!! You definitely deserve that!!!

Guys, it's never too late to hop into this thread. ;) We like everyone and we don't bite... TOO much!

I was totally supposed to run tonight... And then one thing lead to another... And it was dark out. I'm such a freaking wuss about going out running after dark! :o

Rochester
06-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Welcome to all the new peeps! Good luck running everyone! And, Diana, get off your lazy butt! ;)

@Emus - You'd really be surprised at how many people are actually impressed and silently cheering you on when you go out to exercise. And if I ever start to feel self-conscious, I tell myself that I'd rather they laugh at me for running than for stuffing a pizza in my face.

Did W3D2 this morning. Punched it in the face and kicked it in the %#^!!! (as Chubby Jones on my podcast says). :D

I definitely felt better than I did on W3D1 on Tuesday. By the time I finished that, I felt like there were iron bands squeezing my calves to the point that I could barely walk home afterwards. I didn't have that today, at least nowhere near as bad. I guess I need to stretch out more?

And I realized something today. I did W1 in the parking lot of the county fairgrounds which is right by my house. That weekend there was an event at the fairgrounds and I switched to the reservoir, and discovered that I really liked running by the water so I stayed out there. Well, this week I've switched back to the fairgrounds, because we've had quite a bit of rain and I didn't want to run in mud and wet goose crap. I just realized today that there are a lot of inclines in the parking lot of the fairgrounds. Certainly not hills, but it is not flat. So, not only have I progressed to doing W3, but I've also progressed to be able to do it on a not flat surface. Woot! (And it explains why W1 was so difficult!)

I think next week instead of going to W4 I'm going to try to do a full 5K and see if I have the endurance and any kind of decent time. Then I will decide whether or not to enter that race which you are all encouraging me to do! (Thanks! :) )

kariatari
06-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Did W5D3 - but couldn't run the whole thing. :( I ran the first 10 minutes and then took about 3 breaks where I walked for 15 seconds or so. Kinda disappointed in myself. Anyway, on to W6D1 - intervals are back. Yay!

jules1216
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
W2D5 tonight...I know I only was suppossed to fo 3 days but I want Sundays to be D1 not D3. My dogs officially think I am nuts, the older one doesnt even come with me anymore and the other heads back to the house before I am done so much for my protectors, but there's really nobody around except the bugs and other wildlife that stay hidden....

PS--I think I am going to sign up for a 5k in September--benefits go to Habitat for Humanity....

ninepaw
06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Great realization, Rochester! :D And thanks for telling me to get off my lazy butt... LOL. I'm gonna go out soon here and get the running done earlier in the day so I don't have to worry about fitting it in!

kariatari, don't beat yourself up! W5D3 is a scary thing, looking at it. Most people aren't sure if they'll be able to do it going in, and I seriously doubt you're the only one that had to take a couple breaks... And your breaks were short, at least! It's a work in progress - Just remember that. :) :hug:

Jules, :lol: So much for your protectors, indeed! Clearly the intervals aren't working as well for them! And I am also looking at a September 5K! Mine is for the Me-One foundation. It's the only one I could find that was actually close to me anywhere remotely near when I should be done with the program. And since we lost my grandfather to leukemia/lymphoma back in February, it's definitely the kind of thing I feel good about.

Time for me to get my shoes on and get out there... It's almost eleven. Don't want ti to get too crazy hot on me! W3D2, here I come!

ninepaw
06-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Eep! Look at us and our FIVE whole pages! :D Keep it up ladies!!!

I just got back from W3D2... I did it again!!! :carrot: I was seriously, SERIOUSLY considering giving up on the last three minute run... I think it was a little harder on me mentally going into it today, just because of how hard it was on Monday. But I made myself push through it. I have a song recommendation for those who are interested:

Lucky(Hot Stuff Short Mix) - Lucky Twice

It's peppy and slightly Techno-Dance-y, but if you like that kind of thing once in a while(Or all the time!) I definitely recommend it... Mostly because it really helped me out at the end of the last run! It came on, I was trying to keep myself going... So while I was running, I considered things in my life(mostly pertaining to this running/weight loss journey) that make me lucky. :) The boyfriend who will love me, regardless of if I lose another pound or if I can't finish a run. The fact that there are many people with many more years on them than me who still haven't quite figured out how to make the changes they may need to, but I'm 19 and giving my all to finding my solution. The fact that I have managed to motivate myself to do something I never would have thought possible, because running was always such a foreign concept to me... Same with weight loss as a whole. The fact that my mom is working her way through C25K also, so she can celebrate and run my 5K with me in September.

It makes me tear up a little bit right now, thinking over it all. There's more to it than that that makes me lucky... But those are the ones I thought of in the last part of my run. It was really just... :goodvibes: I'm a happy girl!

jules1216
06-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Ninepaw, there are a few 5k's close by in July but I don't think I will be ready...there's a 50 Mile JFK Run in my hometown in November I KNOW I won't be ready to do!!! maybe next year...lol...

I love the 30 hour of me time...hubby is being supportive, hope he stays that way...he tends to get insecure when I start losing weight, but this time I don't care anymore. I will be 45 in December and it's time to do what I want. We've been together 24 years, you'd think by now he'd figure out I am not going anywhere.

jules1216
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
the dogs BOTH abandoned me--I was on my own....

shortstuff17
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
W1D2 complete! Legs were a lot less energized today so felt like more of a struggle but I think I went a little faster on the running portions, so thats good...

ninepaw
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Jules, I should be finishibng in August... Early August, even. But I think the extra month between when I finish and when the race is will give me some time to build up more time... Because I'm pretty sure I'm not actually going to be able to run a 5K in 30 minutes. Just a hunch! :lol:

Nice job, shortstuff! :D Way to stick with it. Look forward to seeing how you feel about Day 3!

jules1216
06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
yes...I think it will take a little longer than 30 minutes.....

sha25
06-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Hey everyone!! I've been a bit off sched this week because of my vaca!! Took a few days off. I was going to do w2d3 today. We have a wedding today and my daughters 12th b-day tomorrow!!So I will see if I can squeeze it in. (excuses, excuses, blah!!!) Part of me can't wait to return to my regular sched.. I haven't gained weight this week but I haven't exercised enough.

off topic- I almost made my goal for this wedding though. I wanted to lose 25 lbs and I lost 23 lbs. I brought a new dress in a size 12 versus my 14's or 16's!!:carrot:

Welcome to the new peeps and great job running everyone!!:)

ap90
06-25-2010, 10:55 AM
On Tuesday I did W3D2 and boy it was nothing like W3D1. I don't know what happened but it was soooo much harder! This is really making me apprehensive about doing W3D3 today.

SoonToBeHealthyHart
06-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone! I totally fell off my training, but I'M BACK!! I'm glad I gave myself a few extra weeks to train before my first 5k. Here's to starting over! :-)

pink sparkle
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
I've realized to never EVER do strength training and C25K on the same day. On Tuesday when I did W1D1 I did strength training (with tons of squats and leg work) first and then my run. OMG. :faint: My legs were killing me the next two days. I seriously thought I would have trouble with W1D2 because they were so achy. But, I did it! No problems whatsoever! Woo hoo! W1D3 tomorrow!

Rochester
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
On Tuesday I did W3D2 and boy it was nothing like W3D1. I don't know what happened but it was soooo much harder! This is really making me apprehensive about doing W3D3 today.

Could be a lot of things. How much other exercise did you do the day before? What did you eat the day before? Were you well-rested (sleep wise)? Were you well-hydrated? If you run outside, was the weather comfortable or was it hot and/or humid?

I've realized to never EVER do strength training and C25K on the same day. My legs were killing me the next two days.

Ouchie! :(

Happy running everyone! :running: Tomorrow is W3D3 for me!

Wild Vulpix
06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone :) I'd like to jump in with all of you!

I just did W3D1 today and it killed me!! But I beat it, so hurray. But it really pushed me. I'm not looking forward to doing it again though... :lol:

But my foot had this sudden shooting pain that's not foreign to me, but it's difficult to describe. It feels as though it shoots though that muscle that you see when your foot is arched, going right down the center... and it hurts a bit, but it's a very sudden and goes away just as quickly. It scares me a little but... The pain goes away so fast. What's going on? (And it only happens sometimes, and only if I run a certain way. And if I continue to run that certain way, the pain lessens with each stride.)

ap90
06-25-2010, 08:33 PM
W3D3 done! Not looking forward to week 4 at all.

ninepaw
06-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Just finished W3D3! :D Go me! And ap90! YAY US!!! And shouldn't you be saying something along these lines also, Rochester!? Look at us go!!! We are just movin' right along! :carrot:

I know that I slowed my pace a bit today... Not because I did it consciously, but because I noticed I was in different places than usual when I switched intervals. I run the same route each day... Despite the longer running times, it seems my pace while jogging isn't much faster than my walking pace, so it always works out. Kind of fascinating to me, really! it was weird, because it almost seemed like I was going faster for most of it... But when I finished my last run, I was farther back in my route than usual. Ugh. I'm weird tonight!

Definitely feeling apprehensive and a little scared of starting W4 on Monday... 5 minute runs??? Reeeally!? Aaahhh. Definitely scared. But I think I can do it. I think. ;)

Keep on runnin', ladies! We'll be at the finish line before we know it!

jules1216
06-27-2010, 07:23 AM
W3D1 this evenimg after the grandboys go home..

Rochester
06-27-2010, 07:51 AM
I just got back from doing W3D3 a second time, because I couldn't wait until Tuesday to run again. :eek: I think some athletic health freak has taken over my body. :lol:

I had planned to switch from doing C25K to trying to cover a full 5K distance to see if I'm ready for the race on July 17. But several people on the C25K facebook page recommended sticking with C25K, so I'm going to do that. What I'm worried about in W4 is going back to so many intervals. I think it's easier to just keep going than to constantly start and stop.

@Vulpix - Could your pain be a foot cramp? There's a description and some info here (http://www.livestrong.com/article/18631-causes-foot-cramps/).

:running: KEEP RUNNING EVERYBODY! :running:
:cheer:

ap90
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Yay for all of us moving on to week 4! I'm going to do W4D1 in about an hour or two. I think considering how difficult W3D3 was for me I will be going at a very slow pace to ease into the 5 minutes of jogging. At this point I'm focusing more on time rather than distance. Weeks ago, a 3-minute jog would have been the end of the world for me. But now I know I can do it.

candy love
06-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey I'm totally in thanks for the link, I'm a bit late, But I can assure you I'll put in 110% effort :D Can't wait to start this :)

ninepaw
06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
There's no such thing as late! ;) We're kind of across the board here in our little group... All over the place in the program! Take your time, there's certainly no rush! Can't wait to follow along once you get started!

ap90
06-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I just wanted to tell you all that I made it from from W4D1 ALIVE. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I guess I'm doing better than I thought. I walked at 3.7 and jogged at 5.3 throughout the workout. Last two minutes of the last jog I ran at 6.0 though. In terms of calories & distance, this was my "best" C25K workout yet.

Hermy
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Wow you guys are so inspiring! I am really jelous lol.
I really want to do C25K but because of my bum knee I need to stick to low impact stuff for right now. My doctor said I should wait untill I lose at least 20 lbs. :) But hey it something I can look forward to in the fall when I get tired of the eliptical machine. It sounds like a really doable program.
Keep it up, you guys rock!

shortstuff17
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
finished week 1! I'm proud, last run I was able to go faster and increase my distance. Tuesday starts week 2, eek!

Natasha1534
06-28-2010, 04:20 AM
OMG...I'm really thinking I wanna join you guys but I'm a little scared. LOL

I'm starting exercising tomorrow (for REAL this time) and maybe I should work my way up to this??? Maybe 2 weeks of regular workouts and then on to this???

ninepaw
06-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Natasha, you just do what seems fine for you! Some people jump into exercise by starting this program, some wait a bit. I was about a month into my weight loss endeavors when I decided to take this challenge on, but there's really no right or wrong time to hop in. :) Look forward to seeing you around whenever you DO start, though!!!

:carrot: Shortstuff, you're jammin'! Keep it up!!! :D

Hermy, definitely something to look forward to! I mean, it seems like this crazy thing... Or at least it did to me. Still does, actually! But I am doing it and it feels amazing!!! So worth it in the end. ;)

ap90... You are my hero!!! :D I'm supposed to do W4D1 tomorrow at some point... SO freaking scared! :lol: I've already told myself that this may be a week I feel the need to repeat. We'll see!

candy love
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I never started today :( I'm in such a rager I woke up super late and had to rush off before I could do exercise :/ So I'm doing it tomorrow morning instead, I would do it now but it's during the day and I get kinda nervous working out in front of people :/ But till then I'll do some leg lifts and push ups at home :) Hope you all had a good day :hug:

sha25
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Back on track today, completed W2D3. I fell behind with my vacation but am back on board!!:D

shortstuff17
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I never started today :( I'm in such a rager I woke up super late and had to rush off before I could do exercise :/ So I'm doing it tomorrow morning instead, I would do it now but it's during the day and I get kinda nervous working out in front of people :/ But till then I'll do some leg lifts and push ups at home :) Hope you all had a good day :hug:

you shouldn't hinder improving your life because you are worried about what other people think, in fact, most people probably dont even care. just get out there and do it!

ninepaw
06-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Candy Love, I have to agree with shortstuff on this one. :) When I go out and run during the day(or any time, really), I don't let myself worry what other people are thinking. In fact, I tell myself that anyone who sees me out there doing my thing is probably thinking, "Good for her, making an effort to change herself!"

Is it the reality? Who knows! But if it isn't, that's the other people's problem, not mine. Because I AM making efforts to change myself... And anyone who thinks badly of that has some issues they should be working on themselves. ;)

Wild Vulpix
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
I just wanted to tell you all that I made it from from W4D1 ALIVE. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I guess I'm doing better than I thought. I walked at 3.7 and jogged at 5.3 throughout the workout. Last two minutes of the last jog I ran at 6.0 though. In terms of calories & distance, this was my "best" C25K workout yet.

Oh my gosh, I'm soooooo scared to do Week 4 :o

I'm doing W3D3 tomorrow, meaning that Week 4 is right around the corner :( I had such a hard time with W3D2 yesterday (my calves were so tired) and those 3 minute runs seem to go on forever... I haven't a clue how I'll be able to get though that next week.

Thank you for giving me a little bit of hope though. :^: But I'm still scared out of my mind :lol:

lanabubby
06-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I just started finished w1d2. I am loving the way this is making me feel!
Hearing all of your stories is great inspiration.

skygirl
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
i had planned to start this program today but didn't, so i will try again tomorrow.

also, could anyone tell me if there is "one" c25k that is generally considered to be the best/healthiest? when searching online or reading different threads i see c25k plans that are different, like some are three days a week every other day some are four days in a row then a rest day. i'm not sure which one is considered to be the right one. or does it even matter? i just wanted to try to use the program that's tried and true and healthiest etc.

ok thanks :)

LauraLoooo
06-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I just did my first day of C25k today! I loved it! I used to be so scared of running but I think this program is really going to empower me!

denice81
06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi Gals! I'd like to join in. I started c25k about 3 years ago and never finished because the weather got too hot for me to tolerate. I'm going to have another go at it though. I'll do D1W1 tomorrow and follow a Tu., Th., Sa. schedule. I'm also doing WW at home for weight loss.

I think I've caught up (more or less) on the thread, you are all an inspiration!

candy love
06-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Hey, thanks gurls :) well I'm pulling it together and going for my first day, I'm nervious but I'm sure that feeling will go once I get out there, my friends invited herself along even though she never needs to exercise so I think shes just comming for moral support which I'm rather happy about, some of the roads where I live are blocked off but I'll find a way around it :)

Rochester
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Hey girls...just a quick check-in. :) My laptop has a virus and is in the hospital. :( So...

1. I'm repeating W3 because I can't download the podcast for W4 (and I find that a stopwatch is way too complicated!)

2. I won't be online much until I get my laptop back. (I'm on my work computer right now...and looking over my shoulder for The Boss. ;) )

Happy running! :running:

ninepaw
06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I am going out soon to run W4D1 finally, and 'm terrified. And I really don't feel like it, because it's earlier than I'm used to(Yeah, it's only 9. Don't judge me.)... But I'm just gonna make myself get off my butt and do it, because if I wait much longer it will get hotter, and then I REALLY wont want to do it, and I'll put it off, blah blah blah... ALL BAD. So I have to take advantage of the fact that it's only 75 out right now. I'm just not gonna be too happy about it. :tantrum:

As always, I will report back. :) Keep up the good work, ladies! Can't wait to hear how you're doing!

ninepaw
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm baaaaaaaaack! :devil:

Bahaha, okay. So maybe I'm not the evil scary thing I make myself out to be... Whatever, I can play pretend! ;)

ANYWAY.

I got back maybe 5-10 minutes ago from W4D1! I made it! I survived! Hooraaaaaaaay! To be honest, I didn't find the 5 minute runs to be as bad as I thought they would be! So hooray for that! I think my biggest obstacle was the heat... It got a good 5 degrees warmer while I ran, and there were a couple times where I was running towards the sun(Which, when I told him about it my fake-dad was like, "Well DUH! Everyone knows you aren't supposed to go towards the light!!! :lol:)

But aside from the heat, I actually felt really good! I mean yeah, the five minute runs weren't easy... But I DID it! :dizzy:

AND, I went on mapmyrun when I got home, since I ran farther than my usual route today with the longer running time... I broke 2 miles!!! :carrot: Up until today my runs have been like... 1.82 miles or so, give or take depending on how fast I went each day. And I made it past that today! 2.15 miles, and I feel VERY good about that! I really don't have aspirations to run my 5K in 30 minutes... I'd be perfectly pleased with 45, which is what I have as my goal in my head thee days. :) We'll see how I'm doing come September, when my race is!

Sorry for babbling on. ;) I seem to do that in my sweaty, post-running haze! ;)

candy love
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Okayyy, so, I did my fisrt day on the treadmill at the gym :) I'm not sure if theres much of a difference in outside or treadmill but I couldn't do it outside because the only road I could run on was blocked and deamed unsafe because of this bridge thing... blahblahblah... and I didn't want to have to go the other way and run to the next town and back coz it's not even safe for a grown man never mind a young girl no joke...

Anyways, IT WAS AWSOME!!! I'm all sweaty and gross but I've never felt better I even went on the cross trainer after it had a go on the bike and did some muscle training :D andddd went an hour walk round my toen with a friends afterwards...

So I'ma go take a shower coz I feel all icky and stuff but yey!
I won't be doing my second day till thursday coz my friend wants me to play badmington with her but at least I'll still be running around and exercising and what not...

Good luck everyone!!! pecae out!

ninepaw
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Great job, Candy Love! :carrot: That first run was such a crazy empowering moment!

Guys, I added a link to the first post for mapmyrun, because I'm a little obsessive about it and figured I'd share! You can go there and map out the route you ran and it shows the distance, blah blah blah... I love it. It's how I knew I did 2 miles today. Check it out if you like! :D

LauraLoooo
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey guys, I started C25K yesterday and it felt great and I can't wait to do my second day tomorrow!

However....my hips are killing me! I'm only 23 but I am hobbling like a grandma. Are my hip flexors sore or did I overdo it and injure my hip... joints?? Any thoughts? I occasionally have problems with my right hip when I really go crazy with the exercise... but I haven't felt anything like this before.

ninepaw
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Welcome Laura! :wave:

About the hips - If you click on the "5 Great Stretches" link in the very first post, there's one there called the Piriformis Stretch. When I first started, I had some rediculous hip pain too, and felt very, very old. Much older than I should be feeling at 19! :lol: That stretch really seems to help quite a a bit. Give it a shot! ;)

jules1216
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
W3D1 down.....

LauraLoooo
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Welcome Laura! :wave:

About the hips - If you click on the "5 Great Stretches" link in the very first post, there's one there called the Piriformis Stretch. When I first started, I had some rediculous hip pain too, and felt very, very old. Much older than I should be feeling at 19! :lol: That stretch really seems to help quite a a bit. Give it a shot! ;)

Thanks ninpaw! Will do!

shortstuff17
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Just finished W2D1! It was a bit tougher than i thought it would be but it may be the shock of the extra 30 seconds lol. hopefully it will get better :)

sha25
06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Today I did W3D1, I felt so good during the running intervals!! It really is amazing how your body adapts!! I had a hard time running 30 seconds when I started and know I get right through the longer intervals. :carrot:

Happy running everyone!! Have a great day.:D

candy love
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm so looking forward to my second day tomorrow :D doing badmington and some crunches and push ups for exercise today, should be a blast :D happy running everyone :D

ninepaw
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Keep it up ladies!!! We're all doing so well! :D

pink sparkle
06-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I completed W2D1 today. I struggled a little but I got through it without stopping! And then I did hill walking for 30 minutes after that. I'm hoping the trouble I had was because I did W1D3 yesterday (had to get caught up).

jules1216
06-30-2010, 08:09 PM
W3D2 down...

kateleestar
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Yesterday was W3D2! Wowza. ;)

ap90
07-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I haven't done C25K since Sunday. I don't know why but for some reason I just haven't been able to drag myself out to the gym. I've still been doing my nightly 30-45 minute walks around the neighbourhood but no c25k. Today I will definitely go! I think :^:

ninepaw
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
ap90..... :coach: GET YOUR BUTT OUT THERE AND GET TO THE GYM!!! :coach:

Did it work?? :lol:

Nah, I totally understand... I had no motivation today. Zero. Absolutely none. I'm frustrated because I've been at the same weight for the past 5 days and I get really discouraged pretty quick if I see no movement on the scale... So I didn't feel like running today. I didn't want to. I was resentful, even when I was just sitting around a bit beforehand in my running clothes.

But eventually I got off my but and i went and ran W4D2, and I just got back a few minutes ago. I'm still kinda irritated and frustrated and discouraged... But I did run, and I can at least feel good about that much. My mantra at one point during a 5 minute run: "I cannot control the scale, but I can control this. I have to finish."

And I did. :)

Hang in there, everyone. :grouphug:

sha25
07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Ninepaw- Sorry your having a rough day but good for you, glad to see you went out there and conquered it..:cp:

ap90- The same thing happened to me last week. Ninepaw and I were on the same day and now tomorrow I am W3D2 and ninepaw just finished W4D2, I feel like a slacker, lol.. But I am glad I am back and not going anywhere!! Get out there and go you will never regret that you excercised only regret when you didn't!! ;)

I am getting frustrated with the scale these days. I have been bouncing around these same 3 lbs for awhile now. Hope to see a change real soon!! I'll check in tomorrow after W3D2...

WTG- kateleestar, jules1216, pink sparkle :cb:

ap90
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I did go and do W4D2 today. I don't know what I was so scared about lol. Ninepaw, I totally know what you mean about getting discouraged when you see no movement on the scale. My net loss for June was about 2 lbs. I lost inches for sure cause my clothes got bigger but I totally put too much emphasis on the scale. It had me really down. Last couple days I've felt a whoosh though and it was exactly what I needed!

Rochester
07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Hooray, I got my laptop back today! :D

I'm glad I was forced to repeat Week 3 due to not being able to download the podcast for Week 4, because doing W3D1 the second time was almost impossible. I could barely complete the 3 minute runs. :( But I think I'd increased my speed, because I ached all day long, and that hasn't happened since the first week, and that would explain why the runs were more challenging.

And today I was a lazy butt and didn't run. I usually wake up around 6 a.m. with or without an alarm clock so I'm not real diligent about setting the alarm. I didn't wake up today until almost 7 a.m. and I just stayed in bed for another 30 minutes rather than doing C25K. Blergh.

Glad to see so many of you still up and at 'em! :D

jules1216
07-02-2010, 08:36 AM
My week has been seriously messed up..went wedding dress shopping with my daughter yesterday rather than run...so I am off to do it this morning...the weather is perfect...

lanabubby
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, I managed to finish week 1. It's much harder outside in my hilly neighborhood than it is on the treadmill. I'm wondering if I will be able to get through w2d1 outside on Sunday. I guess I will find out though:)

shortstuff17
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I managed to finish week 1. It's much harder outside in my hilly neighborhood than it is on the treadmill. I'm wondering if I will be able to get through w2d1 outside on Sunday. I guess I will find out though:)

Outside is definitely harder. I go to the local school track and do my running. I just did W2D1 the other day and while it was a challenge I was able to complete it, so I'm sure you will do just fine :)

sha25
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
W3D2 today, breezed through it. I'm glad that one day I decided to see if I could run a mile straight cause it made me know that I can push myself through the intervals!! :D

Happy fourth everyone!! So looking forward to a much needed 3 day weekend!!:carrot:

pink sparkle
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I did W2D2 this morning. Got through it without having to stop but I still felt I struggled a little. Before I started C25K, I had worked up to running close to 5 minutes straight. Now I'm struggling on a 90-second run??? I'm so confused.

ap90
07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Week 4 done! Is it just me but isn't it a little intense that the most I consecutively ran today was 5 minutes but 3 workouts from now I should be able to run 20 minutes straight?! :dizzy:

Rochester
07-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I did W2D2 this morning. Got through it without having to stop but I still felt I struggled a little. Before I started C25K, I had worked up to running close to 5 minutes straight. Now I'm struggling on a 90-second run??? I'm so confused.

Is it maybe the intervals? I find that the weeks with a lot of starting/stopping are more difficult than the weeks when I run for a longer amount of time at a stretch.

Week 4 done! Is it just me but isn't it a little intense that the most I consecutively ran today was 5 minutes but 3 workouts from now I should be able to run 20 minutes straight?!

:lol: I agree. But then the leap from 90 seconds to 3 minutes seemed impossible and I did it!

I finished W3 (X2) today. I'm ready for W4 because W3 was boring me (because I had to do it twice due to podcast issues). That 5 minute run is scaring me though.

My niece stayed over last night after fireworks, and when I was heading out the door this morning she sorta woke and asked me where I was going. When I told her I was going for a run, she looked at me in shock with big round eyes. I've never been known in the family as the athletic one. :lol:

grneyedmustang
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Finished the 10K today. My time was 87 minutes. My goal was less than 90 minutes so I'll take it :) And I am SUPER PROUD of myself for completing the thing (#1) and I ran the first 3 miles without stopping :dance: Now I'm off to have a little lunch and lounge on the couch!

ap90
07-04-2010, 04:01 PM
That's amazing grneyesmustang! I can't imagine doing 10K in 87 minutes personally.

I did W5D1 today. My legs were sore so the workout was harder than it would have been had I been well rested.

ninepaw
07-05-2010, 02:51 AM
Week 4 done! Is it just me but isn't it a little intense that the most I consecutively ran today was 5 minutes but 3 workouts from now I should be able to run 20 minutes straight?! :dizzy:

This scares the crap out of me, too! I'm supposed to start week 5 tomorrow, and I am just terrified of that final run! A ton of people seem to say it's about 90% mental, so I'm going to try not to psych myself out over it too much ahead of time... But still! Crazyyy!

And Rochester, the 5 minute runs are tough, but not as bad as one may have expected. And after running week 3 twice, you'll probably have no huge issues!

ninepaw
07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I just got back a few minutes ago from W5D1... Woohoo!!! :cheer2:

It was actually not as bad as I had anticipated, though those two 3-minute walks seemed to go by really, really fast! :lol: It was actually kind of nice though, in it's own way. Only five intervals today made it seem like less to do, even though it really wasn't.

W5D2 on Wednesday... 8 minute run, 5 minute walk, 8 minute run.... Aaaaaah!

kaelah
07-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Okay, I tried this a couple years back but I wasn't too serious about working out/losing weight then. I've already established a routine of going to the park to walk/jog so I think it's time I give it another try!

I downloaded an app that lets me use my own music as I go, so I think that should really help keep me motivated. Plus, this seems like a really nice group of people doing the C25K together. Trust me, I never thought I'd even want to run, let alone actually getting out there any doing it. I don't have an athletic bone in my body! But lately I've been craving exercise, so I'm excited to get started!

pink sparkle
07-05-2010, 04:12 PM
@Rochester, I haven't the slightest idea. I'm thinking it might be the music. With my own music I'm able to zone out. But I'm using a podcast and some of the music for W2 is blah.

@grneyemustang. Congrats! I know you must be so proud of yourself.

@kaelah, :welcome2:

Now, on to my horrible day. I did W2D3 today. It went bad. Really bad. :yikes: Last night I went out and had a drink (only one) and didn't get to bed until about 3 a.m. Then this morning when I went to the gym it was super hot! So I was already feeling tired and sweaty. I basically struggled through each and every run. I ended up walking the last one. :( I know now to never do a run the morning after drinking. Looks like I'll be repeating week 2.

Rochester
07-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Congrats, Diana, on kicking W5D1's butt! :D

Welcome kaelah! :wave: We're crazy around here, but very encouraging! :dizzy:

Sparkle, I hear ya on the drinking & less sleep thing. Twice, on days before runs, I've had a glass or two of wine and shorted myself an hour or so of sleep, and I thought I was gonna die doing C25k. I don't understand the science of it, but I've certainly learned that alcohol and C25k do not mix well.

kaelah
07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
W1D1 and it just about KILLED me. Seriously, I was shaky and nauseous by the time I was done. I am so, so out of shape. I had to skip run #7 because of a leg cramp but I finished nice and strong. I have a feeling I might be doing W1 more than once, but that's okay by me.

ap90
07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Did W5D2 today. The 8-minute runs were manageable. Tiring, but manageable. But, how I can go from running 8 minutes today to running 20 on my next workout!! Craziness!

shortstuff17
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
W1D1 and it just about KILLED me. Seriously, I was shaky and nauseous by the time I was done. I am so, so out of shape. I had to skip run #7 because of a leg cramp but I finished nice and strong. I have a feeling I might be doing W1 more than once, but that's okay by me.

Hang in there. I felt that way when I did W1D2, but you just have to push yourself because once you complete it, you definitely will feel a sense of accomplishment! :)

sha25
07-05-2010, 11:25 PM
@ grneyedmustang-WOW!!! Thats is fantastic.:congrat:

@kaelah :welcome2: Go at your own pace, I had to repeat a week also..

Tomorrow starts week 4 for me... Had a super busy weekend and only ran once but fit in lots of other activity! :)

ap90
07-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Im about halfway through the program and decided to look at my progress.

W1D1: 1.93 mi (3.10 km)
W5D2: 2.39 mi (3.85 km)

bigmomma
07-06-2010, 12:55 AM
joining in here...............hope to run the 5k in Nov.. I was doing really well with my own walk/run for 30 min. program, then I kinda tapered off.........doing other things :D. So, I need to get serious and get moving again, running that is (I have been swimming and hiking, gardening.....etc.)

Rochester
07-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Did W4D1 today and it was definitely my best day yet! The intervals were easy (yes, even the 5-minute runs!) AND when my podcast was over, I was still full of energy so I ADDED a 3-minute walk/3-minute run interval! :dancer:

Dude. I ran for 19 minutes today (with walk intervals, but still)! Five weeks ago I couldn't even complete 20 minutes of 60-second jog/90-second walk intervals.

:cheer3: :running: :cheer3:

Happy running everyone!

jules1216
07-06-2010, 08:17 AM
w4d1 today--the grandson was here an extra day for the holiday, I'll do Tues-Thurs as normal and add in Friday. Going to go run while the temps are still fairly cool, its been almost 100 everyday with humidity

Caleighsmommy
07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I'd like to join, I started a few days ago, tomorrow will be my WID3. I can't wait to be able to run 5K, I've always watched the people outside running and I'm just amazed because I find it sooo hard, but hopefully with the C25K that will change : )

grneyedmustang
07-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Ok, I got my official race results today. I actually finished in 83 minutes and not 87!!!!!! I am SOOO HAPPPYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! To me, this is proof that C25K actually works. I was able to get through my first 3 miles without stopping to walk. I don't know if it was an adrenaline rush or what, but I was amazed at what I could do when it really mattered.

I must admit, my calf muscles were a bit sore yesterday and today. EVERYONE HANG IN THERE and stick with it. I am proof that it WORKS!!!! And I am going to continue on with this program. I really want to set a goal of participating in at least 2 races per year. Today I'm going to do week 4 again.

Im On A Boat
07-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Congrats grneyedmustang!!!!

I was on vacation last week, super hot & muggy so I only did one run, 6 mile run at 1 am. Dog loves running with me in the middle of the night. Since I just use the c25k to increase my speed through intervals, I pick a week of the program & do that each week along with one or two of my longer runs. This week I am doing W4. Don't know why but that is one of my favorite weeks, I guess because the intervals are longer & I am not changing intervals so often.

Keep going everybody, you all are doing great!!

PunchBuggy
07-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone! I just started the C2K5 yesterday with my friend. We're hoping to make it through all of the workouts and then participate in a 5k. I was able to do the first workout with ease. I plan on keeping it up too! :D

jules1216
07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Week 4 Day 1 on my c25k program done...thought I wouldn't make it at one point but finished it...then had to conquer the darn hill on the way back...when he was are you ready for your next 3 minute run I was like "NO!!!!!" It's hard to imagine by day 3 I will be wanting it to last longer...

sha25
07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
W4D1 today didn't go so well. I think the heat really kicked my butt. We have been in the 100's for a few days now wit high humidity and I struggled on the last 5 min run. My legs were shaking, and so tired. I also went to bed really late so maybe the heat/sleepy is what did it. I do a free run once a week(ish) so I know it isn't that I couldn't do it.. hmm, guess I'll wait and see how day 2 goes, and hope the humidity breaks a little.

Have a great day everyone!!

pink sparkle
07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Well, I'm about to go and do W2D2 again. I downloaded a different podcast with better music. I hope that helps me be able to zone out and not count every little second of the runs lol. Wish me luck!

pink sparkle
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Yay! I redid W2D2 with no problems. Changing the podcast helped. And I slowed down. A gym friend I was talking to the other day told me I'm running really fast. I told him I only do 5.0 mph. He says although the treadmill is on 5.0, he'd say I'm really running close to 6.5. :?: So I did today's C25K at 4.5-4.8. Much better. Although I did do my last run at 5.0 (and he again told me I'm running faster than the treadmill speed). Anyhow, woo hoo! I got through it without struggling. :carrot: And I did 30 minutes on the arc trainer after that. I'll do the repeat of W2D3 on Friday.

ninepaw
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Awesome Pink Sparkle! :D And everyone else, for that matter! We are all doing so well on this journey, I think. We should be proud!

No shortage of pride over here on my end right now - I did W5D2 today!!! I'd say that I kicked some serious butt, and I had been nervous about the 8 minute runs! But I managed just fine, and even got through 7 minutes of the first run before I even looked to see how much longer I had! Nice to look down and realize I only had about a minute left! ;)

After the way today went, I'm actually not feeling as afraid of W5D3... The dreaded 20 minute run! I am feeling so stoked right now at how well I feel like I'm doing with this... It IS possible! We really CAN do it!!!

Rochester
07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
W4D2 was almost as wonderful as W4D1. :D I had a little trouble getting started and kinna had this "I cannot do this" mindset. Then I found my groove, felt fantastic, and once again was not ready to be done after the intervals so I added a 3-minute walk/3-minute run interval. :dancer:

I don't know what the temp/humidity was but it was definitely intense. I was completely soaked by the time I was done. Crazy, but I love that sweaty feeling because it makes me feel more accomplished. :p But do you know how incredibly difficult it is to take off a very tight very wet sports bra when you have a sunburn? Egads. :eek:

I mapped the run on activetrainer.com and discovered that I covered 2.48 miles! That includes the 5-minute warm-up and cool-down walks, but still! Almost 3 miles!

@Sha - I've found that being well-rested and well-hydrated really affects how I feel.

@Sparkle - What podcast are you using? I love Chubby Jones!

@grneyedmustang - :woohoo:

@Diana - You go on with your bad self girl! :D

And welcome to all the new peeps and good luck to everyone!

We're all rockin' this! C25K is AWESOME! :cheer3: :running: :cheer3:

sha25
07-08-2010, 09:13 AM
W4D2 went much better then D1. I was definitely more rested; and know now that I need better sleep before my run days to get through it. I finished the last 5 min run strong and actually felt like I could keep going so I did. I did a few short run intervals at a higher speed. I feel much better today!!:carrot:

I noticed the other day that my legs are really getting toned! Now just gotta work on my middle section!! :o

@ Rochester- I was completely soaked too at the end, it has been so dang hot and humid lately. I here ya on the sports bra, I don't have a sunburn and still had a problem!!;)

@ Ninepaw- Wow you are doing awesome!! I can't wait to not be watching the clock for the end!! Keep up the great work!!

@ PinkSparkle- Great job getting through W2D2. I find that music is realy important to me, I don't use a pod cast but the right music really gets me in a perfect zone.

Wecome to the newcomers :wave: Have a great day everyone!!

Wild Vulpix
07-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I tried W4D3 yesterday and fell flat on my face :( I did so well on D2 and pretty good on D1.... But yesterday, I got through the 3 minute run, and only halfway through the first 5 minute run. I ended up giving up...

I'm not sure what it was exactly. First of all, it felt so much hotter in the gym when I was running today compared to others. Secondly, I've been put on birth control for the first time ever just two days prior, so my changing hormones may or may have not effected my performance. Thirdly, I had gone to the gym at 5pm and thoughout the whole day I only ate an iceberg salad with some vinegar and oil, so maybe I eat enough and that effected my prerformance. Fourthly, my ankles hurt a lot and I think I might have shinsplints (I've been trying to just run through it... but that's obviously not working).

My new plan is to 1) eat more!!!, 2) spend the next week on the elliptical, and then go back to W4D3, and continue from there...

What do you guys think? And is the elliptical okay to use for shinsplints?