Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #16  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I've been looking for a C25k podcast all week. Almost everyone recommends Robert Ullery...ugh!...not me. Didn't like his music or his voice.

I found some that were hiphop/rap (not my style), some that were more likely to put me to sleep than inspire me to run, and some in which the musicians were so amateur it drove me batty.

I finally found one that I like. I know that everyone has different tastes in music but if you're looking for a podcast check out this one. I guess I would describe the music as alternative rock/techno dance. The woman who narrates the intervals is a bit chatty, but she makes you feel like you’re running with a friend. And how can you not love a woman who is wheezing right along with you and goes by the name “Chubby Jones.”

Last edited by Rochester; 06-05-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #17  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I'm in!
I started this Monday (tons of free holiday time) with a friend of mine, and we are officially finished week 1! I swear I never ran in my life, I could never run in high school or anything like that, and on our first day my buddy and I were almost crying, it was way hard. Day 3 was so much easier! I can't believe I pretty much doubled my endurance in a week.

We also walk for about an hour before/after we're done jogging, and started skipping rope and man is that crazy cardio! I feel so out of shape though, I haven't been losing anything lately despite all this new exercise thing, because of my eating habits but I'm working on that right now, and hopefully when the 2 come together I'll be back on the weight loss wagon.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #18  
The girl who can

Woohoo...I kicked some Day 3 booty, baby!

I felt a whole lot more flexible while stretching out. And afterwards, my muscles didn't feel as burny and trembly. Is that even possible in just a week?

I totally loved running at the reservoir on grass by the water. The podcast was rocking and really helped with the timing. Today was a whole different experience.

BUT...I can't breathe when I'm running. I wheeze to the point of passing out, and my chest (lungs/heart?) hurts so bad. I've been smoking for X years (too long to admit) and still haven't kicked it completely. I think I'm going to have to repeat Week 1 until I can do it smoke free or I really am going to give myself a heart attack.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 195/168/130

Height: 5'5"

Ninepaw- yep.. that's about right. I will start week 4 on monday.. or even tomorrow depending on how i feel.

Rochester- I'm a heavy smoker too! I PROMISE it will get easier!! Your body will adapt so quickly. When I first started I could walk faster than the pace I jogged because I couldn't breathe. Stick on week 1 for as long as you need.. your body will catch up eventually!

Rien- I love the idea of skipping rope after/before the jogging. Do you mind if I steal?

On a side note- I think I will start week 4 tomorrow or sunday. I have already ran W3 four times this week and I might throw it in one more time tonight.

Just checking.. but are you ladies making sure to wear two sports bras? It really keeps the twins from bouncing around too much.. haha! I know that I would like to prevent sagging as much as possible. I wear one with an underwire on the bottom and layer with one that doesn't have an underwire.

Also.. this might be cheesy.. but you should try adding Eminem's 'Till I Collapse to your jogging music. Trust me.. it's not my style of music (I listen to crooners, country, and classical haha) but it has a good beat and the lyrics keep you pumped.

Last edited by EmusGlitter; 06-05-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #20  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Hello hello! Glad to see you're all doing well! Just thought I'd pop in and check up on you guys, since I was entirely absent yesterday due to boyfriend's surprise for me for my birthday. Nice job keeping up!

EmusGlitter - My issue right now is finding decent sports bras anywhere. Let's face it - Most are not made with the larger-chested in mind! Jerks...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #21  

ninepaw - did you see the thread in the exercise forum about sports bras? there are many posts about different companies who do make them big enough.

So.. i start week 4 today! I hope it doesn't kill me!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #22  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Can I join you guys? Let me give you my background.

I have been "training" so to speak (not really structured, just running off and on) since late March. I signed up to run the Peachtree Road Race (a 10K) here in Atlanta and the reality has set in since I have a little less than a month to train. So here I am, asking myself what have I done and am I going to be ready!!! I need support and enthusiasm and a "structured" training program, so I decided to give this a shot.

Question from a newb - is anyone weight training while doing this program? How are you fitting it in?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #23  
Diana Kay

My issue is that I want to try things on before I buy them, and a lot of people seem to buy theirs over the internet. So I'm trying to see what I can find in stores... Slow progress, but whatever. I'll figure something out!

Welcome grneyedmustang!

I'm supposed to be doing W2D1 today, but I've been feeling kinda crampy and gross today... Might put it off until tomorrow. Doesn't encourage me much that as it gets more towards afternoon, it's getting warmer and warmer outside... Ick.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #24  

ninepaw - good luck finding good ones. haha.

Grneyed - I am definitely making sure to weight train. I do the program 4-5 times a week for 40-60 minutes each time rather than 20 min 3 times a week. I also do calisthenics for about 30 minutes after each run. You know, push ups, lunges, core, etc. etc. And 2 times a week I lift. Good luck training for the 10k!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #25  
The girl who can

I have two running buddies! I'm so excited!

Awhile ago, I noticed that several facebook friends were discussing weight/exercise challenges, so I created a group where we could all hang out (similar to 3FC but much smaller).

Well, when I started C25k, I started posting about it on the group page. Yesterday, one of my friends asked me for more info. I told her about it and asked if she wanted to run together. Then another friend wanted to run with us...and she's so committed she changed her work schedule! So...we're starting tomorrow!

And they're both willing to shoot for the goal of running a 5K in October!

When I did the weight loss/exercise thing before I did it all on my with no support or accountability, so when I started to slip, there was no one there to catch me. This time around, I've decided to do things differently.

@Diana - I definitely recommend Enell bras (and not just because Oprah likes them! ) I bought one a couple years ago when I was exercising and loved it! I'm desperately wanting to fit back into it, but for now I just strap the girls down with two very tight sports bras. Serious uni-boob, but they ain't going no where!

@Emus - Are you sill smoking or did you quit?

@grneyedmustang - A 10K?!? You are my hero!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #26  

rochester - i am smoking anywhere from1 to 2 packs a day. The first time I did this program i was able to jog 3 miles, walk 1 mile, and then jog 2 more miles even as a smoker. haha. it was just the beginning that killed me. And i'm pretty sure i was stuck on week 4 for 3 weeks and week 5 for 2 weeks. congrats on finding running buddies! I'm so happy for you!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/164

Height: 5'8"

Hello ladies!! I would love to join this thread!! Just the kick in the butt I needed. I started C25K a while back and ended up getting stuck at the end of the 2nd week into the 3rd week. So I think I will start over tomorrow!! It will be great to have a place to come to find support..

So tomorrow is w1d1 for me..
Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #28  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

So I started Week 4 Day 1, kind of light considering the fact that I've been attempting to run, since I've been on vacation the past eight days. I made it through, but the last 5 minute run had me a bit. I beat it though...hee hee hee. Rochester, glad to know I'm someone's hero thanks for the inspiration! I have a long way to go though, between now and July 4. My goal is to finish the 10k in less than 90 minutes, so hopefully I'll get there! I also have noticed that running is making me look leaner, even though the scale isn't reflecting it so much. And I've also noticed that I think people are impressed that this big girl can run a little!

Emus, hang in there! You can beat those cigarettes! LOL.

Sha, welcome! I use the "I will not be defeated by the treadmill" mantra...maybe it will help keep you inspired! Good music helps also. I'm going to buy that Eminem song that Emus suggested! I also use house, drum 'n' bass, or old bass music for running music. The fast beat helps keep me moving!

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 06-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #29  
Diana Kay

Happy to hear that everyone is still enthusiastic! I'm looking forward to running W2D1 tomorrow morning, since I never got to it tooday! ops: I'm feeling a little bit like a bum that it's taking me this long to get to it, but at least I'm still intending to get there, right!?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #30  

I just finished W1D1 today. I didn't realize how thoroughly it would kick my butt! I even stopped once...I feel so ashamed I couldn't go all the way through. Oh well, here's to going through on Wednesday!
Closed Thread