Weight Loss Support - Tall ladies - What's your goal weight/size?

AZgal8
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I am 6'0 and I have tried to look up what my goal weight should be, and I get anything from 140-190. I have been overweight all my life, so I do not know where I should be (or feel the best).

My family doctor says he would like to see me in the 180's, while my obgyn says 140. HELP!!!

Some of you tall ladies out there....what is your goal, or what are you now that feels right?

How about clothing sizes. I know I will never be a size 2, but what size can I expect to wear once I am within the goal range? Would love to know from your experience.

Thanks!

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm about 5'10.5", and I currently have my goal set for 175 pounds. I don't remember ever weighing that little in my life, but it falls into a healthy weight range for my height and I think I could maintain it comfortably - That's always important to consider. Do you thing you could live in a way to maintain 140? That does seem like an awefully low weight for someone as tall as you are!

As far as clothing goes I really have no idea where I'm going to wind up, but I'm setting my sights on 10/12 jeans. :)

meplusthree
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm 6'2" and was comfortable at about 175 and a size 8.

Avezy44
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm 5'6 (just found out yesterday) lol. My goal weight is 140. Once I get there I am gonna decide if I want to go to 135-30. I dont know what size that is though.

Avezy44
06-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Btw, here is a link to get a healthy weight :)

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/iwc

mandalinn82
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm 5'8", and my current 170 lbs puts me in a size S/M top and size 8 jeans. My BMI is technically, barely, overweight for my height, but this is a healthy weight for my body, charts or not.

lynnyloo
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm 5'11" and was 170 - 175 through most of my 20s, but I always felt like I could have lost another 10 lbs. I'd be completely happy to get back to 170 though, which is considered "normal" for my height. I was usually a size 12, sometimes a 10.

Med School Mom
06-03-2010, 05:44 PM
It depends on your body. I am 6'1" and was around 170 (size 10 or 12)when I was a little younger. I briefly got down to 160 and loved the way I looked but just couldn't maintain it...it was like my body wanted to be in the 170's. I think 140 would be runway model thin on most people that are 6' +. I played college softball so there was a lot of weightlifting involved so when I get back down to that weight I am sure my body composition will be different.

Alita
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm 5'10 and 153lbs at the moment. I'm trying to get to 140lbs - but I don't know if I will get there! I'm a 12/14 UK sizing...probably 10/12 US sizing? I have big hips and a big butt :p - bone structure - If I could snap my pelvis to make myself narrower I would lol.

EDIT: I could actually be a 8/10 US sizing...different websites say different things...

AZgal8
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone! This really does help!

Cali Doll
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Another 5'8" here. I'm a size 10 and my weight fluctuates around 160 lbs.

I think I'd be a size 8 with a few more lbs lost.

terraleigh77
06-03-2010, 08:43 PM
5'7 here and my goal is to get to 180 and see how I look and feel. From there it'll be watching how my body looks. I want to be at nice weight, but I don't want to be skin and bones :)

Tara

caliyah
06-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I really needed this! So i'm 199 now and 5'8, I have no clue where to stop but even now at 199 people are telling me I look skinny so I'm thinking that I maybe just want to lose 30 more pounds rather than the 40 to 50 that the BMI thing says I should lose. The last time I was skinny I was 14 years old so I don't have anything to compare to. all you ladies that got to goal y'all look amazing! can't wait to get to goal! My dream is to wear a size 6 ...errmmm Maybe thats a crazy goal? i've been fat for so long it's hard to imagine myself at goal. Anyway I haven't gone shopping in a long time --- I honestly have always hated shopping it would make me so depressed to never fit the clothes I liked. I'm going to wait until the end of the summer before I shop and will just get by with my baggy clothes for now.

Sockerton
06-04-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm 6'1" and I'd be thrilled to see the 160s. Actually, right now I'd be happy with anything that starts with a 1 and not a 2. I don't know what my goal size would be. I can't remember a time when I wasn't a 14 or higher or L-XL. I guess when I get to a 12 or medium, I'll see where I want to go from there.

Your OB is nuts. 140 for someone that is over 6' might look too skinny, especially if you have a larger frame.

Tagan47
06-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Wow, the variations in weight always amaze me. I'm 5'8 and 128 (size 2-4). I'm very slender but by no means skinny. Wish I could weigh more and look good but every little extra pound shows on me!

astrophe
06-04-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm 5'8".

I'd like to get to 185 to start, then fine tune from there hopefully to 165.

Even just getting to that 185 point is somewhere I haven't been in 15 years! I found some old pix today of me at 185 and I was a size 14 then.

A.

lora m
06-04-2010, 03:26 AM
I'm 5'10 and 171 as of yesterday's WI - my WW goal weight is 174 and am UK size 14-16 - I guess US 10-12. I feel fairly comfortable here now and a heck of a lot better than at 224lb. I could afford to go lower but I think I'm probably stopping here, at least for a while. I felt ready to maintain. I was 140 in my teens-early 20s age range - well over 20 years ago and was still UK size 14 then - whether due to genuinely wide hipbones or more vanity sizing now, I don't know. I agree that the obgyn is nuts, by the way.

Ellie R
06-04-2010, 03:42 AM
I am 5"9.... BMI 23 and a UK size 10 - 12 (US 6-8)

Ellie R
06-04-2010, 03:49 AM
I am 6'0 and I have tried to look up what my goal weight should be, and I get anything from 140-190. I have been overweight all my life, so I do not know where I should be (or feel the best).

My family doctor says he would like to see me in the 180's, while my obgyn says 140. HELP!!!

Some of you tall ladies out there....what is your goal, or what are you now that feels right?

How about clothing sizes. I know I will never be a size 2, but what size can I expect to wear once I am within the goal range? Would love to know from your experience.

Thanks!

ps AZ Gal - 140 definitely seems way too low - I would suspect that around 160 -170 would have you pretty skinny, and 140 would be skeletal! Lose that OBGYN

ElanaRose
06-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm fun sized at 5'2". My goal is between 120-125, which is where I was a few years ago. My Doc will be okay with that, considering I've lost 20 pounds since my last time in there. Plus I have pictures from when I was there, and I looked FANTASTIC.

MindiV
06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm 5'8.5" or 5'9" tall....I started at 225 or 230 with a calculated BMI of about 34. Wore an XL/16-18 shirt and size 16 jeans/shorts.

I set a goal of 160 pounds and liked how I looked (and still had boobs!) when I got there, but I had a LOT of trouble finding my maintenance calories. I started losing only during my TOM, so it made it hard to raise my calories to my maintenance level when I only knew at the end of the month if I was gaining or losing.

So it ended up taking another 3-4 months and 20 pounds. Today I'm between 138-140 (BMI 20-21) and wear a S or sometimes even XS shirt depending on how it's made, size 2-4 jeans and shorts (in women's sizes) and my feet even shrank from 9 1/2 to 8 1/2. Crazy. And after reading all this, I feel waaaaay too skinny...

SCraver
06-04-2010, 08:56 AM
HOLY MOLEY! 140 for 6 feet tall!? Is your gyno high? Lol! Of course, I have no idea how your frame is - maybe 140 is possible for you... But at 5'9", I was able to get down to 150 at the end of high school (14 years ago). I did unhealhty things to get there and couldn't maintain it.

Right now, I would be very pleased to just be below the big *2-0-0* but ultimately, I would like to get to 170. Since I like to drink and eat 3 square meals a day, I know that 150 would be near impossible for me... and I want something that is healthy for me to maintain.

Honestly, though, even if I only got down to 180 and was muscular and fit, that would be OK, too.

AZgal8
06-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm going to shoot for 170 and will see what I look/feel like when I get there.

The thought of being able to wear something in the misses department and not the plus is SOOO exciting.

I was just clueless. I have a friend who weighs 200 and she wears a size 24, so I was thinking that if I got down to 170 I would still be plus sized, but y'all give me hope!

THANKS!

Expunge
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm definitely not tall - 5' 4" - but even at my height, 140 is within my healthy range. I think that'd be quite thin for 6'!

What I would do is get down to, say, 185 - enough inside the healthy range for some upward wiggle room, but a fairly close goal - and then reevaluate once you're there. If you're happy, stay there! If you'd like to lose more at that point, you can always set a new goal.

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
200 lbs and size 24? That doesn't add up to me.

In any case, I think 170 would be a great target for your height although the great thing about goal weights is that they aren't set in stone. You may get to a higher number and decide you are thrilled with how you look and feel and want to maintain right there. Or you may get to 170 but feel you aren't quite where you want to be. So I'd consider it a guideline more than a firm goal.

My personal goal is to get completely out of plus sizes. I'm guessing that will probably put me into size 8 pants and large/12-14s in tops. Right now, I'm in misses 18s and 16s in bottoms but 2X in tops, so I expect I'll always have a pretty big gap in sizes between my top and bottom. But in terms of the scale, it's really just a total guess that I'll be in the mid 150s when that happens.

OrganizedChaos
06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm 5'11" I had originally set my goal in the 180's and by December of last year I had changed it to 178. At 178 I will finally be able to say I have a normal BMI. However, I do not recollect ever weighing that little since maybe when I was 14 or 15. I got down to about 198 about 13 or 14 years ago but was not able to maintain. I will of course be jumping up and down just to not see a 2 as the first number on my scale, but I think 178 may be where I finally hit. I am hoping to be around a size 10 when I get there but if I am still a 12 well, so be it. At my current weight I am in a size 18 and have been shifting sizes about every 15-20 pounds now. I think 140 sounds outrageous to me because I can't imagine maintaining at that weight.

We have had a similar discussion to this on the Tall Girls thread here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/125816-calling-all-tall-girls.html

ladyrider72472
06-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I am about 5"10.5; I am bouncing between 174 and 183 (that is my fault due to my son's deployment). I am in a 12 ladies or a 13 juniors.

ThicknPretty
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I’m 5”8 and weigh 167 pounds (as of today…yay!). I’m in between a 12 and a 10 right now and my goal for right now is 160 pounds. I’m still adjusting to how my body looks now and the changes it has undergone…it’s hard to tell in advance if you will like how you look at a certain weight or not, especially if you’ve never been there. (This is my lowest weight…when I first started, this would have been a dream weight for me…now that I’m here, I’m not quite satisfied.) I suspect that I’ll even try to go lower than 160, but for now, that’s where I settle.

Mandalinn…how can we be the same height and basic weight and you’re almost two sizes smaller than me?! No fair! Lol.

blueridgegirl
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm about 5' 7 1/2" and currently at 199. My initial goal was 159 ('normal' BMI) but I've revamped it to 175, 24 more pounds. I'm currently a size 12 and would like to get down to an 8. I've also been weight training and have lost inches and built muscle more significantly than losing pounds. I've just crossed over into not feeling 'fat,' more like on the big side of average. I can do all my clothes shopping in 'regular' stores and haven't set foot in a Lane Bryant for months, and I'm comfortable in a swimsuit (just in time for summer!).

I'm with Mandalinn - 175 is still 'overweight' BMI for me but I think it's reasonable for my body. I mean, I'm a 12 now in most brands, and if I lost 40 more pounds - wow. I will reevaluate when I get to 175, though. I don't feel any need to be a size 6 or a size 4, but I do want to be at a good weight and body composition for racing (I run). yep, the fluctuations are crazy - we all just have different kinds of bodies.

Thighs Be Gone
06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I would like to be in the 120's and am 5'7". I lack the motivation currently though. I weighed in at 135 yesterday and am not depressed. It wasn't water either. I have had a very stressful move and I know where EVERY bite of the extra pounds came from.

140 seems like an awfully low recommendation for a woman with your height.

oodlesofnoodles
06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm 5'7" and I'd actually like to be in the 150's. I don't want to change my tracker until I'm closer. I'd also like to to be a size 7/8.

Scatterheart
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow. This is pretty insane. I had no idea it varied so much. I'm 5'9" and I put my first goal at 165 because that is the highest number on the healthy BMI range for my height. I want to be healthy! That said, I want to look good too. All along I've been assuming that I would need to go way lower than 165 - maybe even as low as 130. This thread made me feel so much better. Mandallin - I want what you have exactly!

Thanks guys. Everything feels a lot more doable all of a sudden. I think being on weight loss sites and reading about people in the 180's aiming for 120 and 140 aiming to lose weight really makes it difficult to get a good sense of what you're doing and what you should be aiming for, personally.

Thanks thanks thanks again, lovely tall ladies.

mandalinn82
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Mandalinn…how can we be the same height and basic weight and you’re almost two sizes smaller than me?! No fair! Lol.

I am REALLY muscular (both from weight lifting through entire weight loss and from just being built that way), which makes me compact even though I weigh more. Also, my build is very athletic/boyish (no chest, very little hip/butt, straight at the waist), which means I don't have to get bigger sizes to accomodate larger hips or a bigger bust.

My wife weighs 10 lbs less than me, same height, and wears 2 pants sizes bigger because of her hips...but we have to get her pants taken in at the waist.

LisaMarie71
06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
The variations in our bodies really is amazing. I'm 5'9", and I went from 275 to 165 a few years ago. I was in a size 8 and 10 and wearing medium shirts and size small running shorts (which blew my mind). I gained a ton of weight back with my pregnancy and am working on getting back down to 165. I think it will be different this time, though, because pregnancy changed my body. My stomach has always been my biggest part, but now it's even bigger, so I think I'll be in a larger size when I get to 165 this time. I'm perfectly ok with that, though. I just want to be in regular sizes and be fit enough to run long distances again.

To the original poster, I know others have said it too, but 140 pounds at 6 feet tall seems rather low!

AZgal8
06-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I agree... I think 140 will be too low for me, but we will see.

My friend that is a size 24 is only 5 feet tall, so that may explain why she wears that size.

Another question tall ladies - When you started, how many pounds until you saw a difference in your clothes. I see ads that say lose a dress size in a week, etc. From what I can lose in a week, I doubt that will be a dress size... just curious.

Scatterheart
06-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I know I've already posted once, but I just got home form work and I had to come back on and just say how much weight (ha) this thread has taken off my shoulders. 5'9" and 165 here I come.

Have a great weekend everyone!

LisaMarie71
06-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Scatterheart, you're going to love 5'9" and 165! I did, and I can't wait to get back there! I was only there for about five minutes before I got pregnant, but it was a good five minutes!

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Another question tall ladies - When you started, how many pounds until you saw a difference in your clothes. I see ads that say lose a dress size in a week, etc. From what I can lose in a week, I doubt that will be a dress size... just curious.

It took me a really long time to see a difference in clothing - close to 30 lbs, and even now, at 40+ lbs, I'm still wearing some of the same things, although a lot is too big.

Your general build plays a part, too. I'm top heavy, so of course, I see a much faster change on the bottom, where I need to lose it less! lol!

MissKoo
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm just over six feet tall and my best weight, as an adult, was in the 170-180 range. When I was exercising regularly I was a size 10 at that weight and felt wonderful. I wore a size eight for a while (a LONG time ago) and my friends kept offering me food (I didn't look so healthy, apparently).

MissKoo
06-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Thanks!

Sorry - I have to add this: we tall chicks need to quit comparing ourselves to short girls who can wear size "2" or whatever! Healthy is much better than overweight but some arbitrary size shouldn't matter.

It's like my friend told me - a Great Dane doesn't feel bad about not being a chihuahua!:D

joannie
06-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I am 5'11" and currently 195 lbs and wearing size 12. I have my goal set at 170 lbs. I think that I look like I have more than 25 lbs to lose, but I also have a huuuuge loose skin problem, so I really don't know. I am trying to not focus on the scale at all, and will see as I get down further whether or not to adjust my goal either up or down. I have never been this size, so can't relate, and hope that I will know when it is a good weight for me to maintain.

Alita
06-05-2010, 05:21 AM
This makes me feel huuuge lol. I do work out a lot, and I have a bit of muscle from weight training, but I also have a big bust and hips...but a smaller waist...I seem to be bigger than everyone else by size D:

I'm a bit confused on the UK/US sizing issue as well. Most websites I looked at say UK 12 is US 10. But then a few say UK12 is a US8. Confused, I should be :p.

catherinef
06-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Having lived both places, and worn a variety of sizes in each, my honest take on the sizing difference is that it's more like 1.5 sizes between UK and US sizes. Of course, sizing is so bloody variable between manufacturers that I really only start with any given size as a rough guess, and then go up or down as the garment requires.

Anyway, topic! I'm six feet tall, and currently hovering around 179-181 pounds, and I'm mostly wearing UK 14s and 12s. My best guess as to what that would mean in US sizes is around a 10, with some 8s, maybe. My weight is just below the overweight line, and while I despair of some areas of my body, at this height and this weight, I honestly look normal-to-verging-on-thin, and in some areas, such as my shoulders and upper torso, actively skinny. My build is on the high end of medium, and at this point, I really think I'm only trying to take off another five or ten pounds to see if it does any good for my last trouble spot, which is my midsection, and drops me solidly into a UK12.

PammyFl
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Im 5'11 and I'm currently 172 (size 12) My goal is to be 160 and hopefully a size 10. I will be happy with a 10. 12 is still the lowest plus size and I really would love to get out of the "plus" sizes.

ma26
06-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm 5'11" and my goal is 155. This was my weight after losing about ten pounds my freshmen year in college. I wore a size 8, and of course didn't think I was thin at the time. I maintained between 155 and 160 for three or four years. And then lost another 7 pounds to 148. I don't think I looked underweight at that size. People didn't tell me I was too skinny, they'd tell me how good I looked. But I was only able to maintain that weight for like a month and a half. So I don't think it is as viable goal for me. Honestly I feel good in a size ten. Which universally fits me around 165 to 170. But I feel great as a size 8.

Cali Doll
06-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Im 5'11 and I'm currently 172 (size 12) My goal is to be 160 and hopefully a size 10. I will be happy with a 10. 12 is still the lowest plus size and I really would love to get out of the "plus" sizes.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure 14 is the lowest plus size. ;)

OverOverWeight
06-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I think 140 would probably be too thin at your height. I'm 5'10" and have been 140 lbs and it was the thin side of good...with your extra 2" it would probably make you look fragile. But then again, you may have a smaller bone structure than I do.

caliyah
06-06-2010, 01:14 AM
i haven't gone shopping in a long time and i'm swimming in my clothes but i'm not planning to shop until I lose a bit more. i can't wait to stay out of plus sizes too. calidoll i can't wait to be at your weight! congrats to everyone on doing so well!

Autumn Gold
06-06-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm 5 ft 8 inches approx. I'm currently a UK size 16/US size 12. I'm amazed that there are people in here who weigh far less than me and are taller in bigger sizes. Maybe vanity sizing is even more of an issue in the UK.

Anyway, my ultimate goal is 140 - UK size 10/ US size 6 all over (although with MY hips, that could be tricky!) My initial goal is 164, which will hopefully put me in an 8.

rocksplash
10-20-2012, 09:25 PM
This thread seemed like a good one to revive... My goal is to lose 70lbs, from 206 to 136, and finally be thin again!

AilsaPearl
10-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm 5'7 and currently 149 lbs and a size 8. My lowest weight is 145 and although I was very muscular, I would like to try maybe 140 if I'm not eating my arm off and it's too hard to maintain :P

Brandis
10-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I am 5'9'' and I am currently 164- I am not weighing myself on the record this week because I have been tearin' up the weights and I know it has me up a few pounds due to water weight.

But this being said, I want to get to 155. I find I still have too much body fat for my taste at this weight, so 155 seemed like a good place. Ultimately, though, I have a certain way I want to look, so if I can pack on some more muscle and just lose a bit more fat and look that way, then, great. If not, down the goal goes again. I think I would look too thin at 140, so I know it's been a few years for this thread, but to the original poster I say: Tell your gyno to look up from between the nether regions of the patients to make assessments. It helps to look at the whole person! Unless you are a real daddy long legs, 140 is probably not the right weight for you! Also, at this size I wear 10 and 12 pants, small, medium and large shirts.

stimkovs
10-21-2012, 01:00 AM
i'm 5'8.5 i currently weigh between 178-180 and wear a solid 8. S/M top.

I would like to be 155-160 as UGW, and clocking in at a S top, size 6.

freelancemomma
10-21-2012, 02:23 AM

I'm 5'11" and have been maintaining a weight of 140 lbs for close to a year, after losing 55 pounds. I initially planned to stop at 155 lbs, but I kept losing weight while trying to figure out my maintenance calories. Once I reached 140 lbs I decided I liked my new body so much I was prepared to put some effort into keeping it. On paper 140 lbs may seem a little low for my height, but I definitely don't look scrawny.

I'm able to eat about 2,000 cals per day, on average, without regaining. If I had to restrict myself more, it wouldn't be worth it for me. (Left to my own devices I could easily eat 4,000 calories per day without feeling stuffed.) And who knows, maybe one day I'll decide to maintain at a higher weight. For now it's working, though. I'm 55 years old.

Freelance

Mer du Japon
10-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm 5'8 and 156...my goal is 140. I wear a size 8-10 currently in pants and a medium in shirts.

freelancemomma
10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
This thread seemed like a good one to revive... My goal is to lose 70lbs, from 206 to 136, and finally be thin again!

... and when you do, you should contact an agent. You look like model material!

F.

heathermichigan
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
My family doctor says he would like to see me in the 180's, while my obgyn says 140.
Holy moly! 140 at 6 feet tall??? It seems a bit low to me.

I am 5' 10" and my first goal is 180, although I'd like to get down to about 165. My doctor says 180, I think partly because of my frame size/muscle amount kind of stuff. I would love to solidly get into a 12, but a 10 would be a dream come true.

SunnySide99
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Great thread! I'm 5'9, some days 5'10 :) I'm a 14 heading towards 12 now. Maintaining a size 10 is my goal which will probably be around 170 - 180 or so. I love my curves!

Mimzzy
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I am 5'5 and currently 160, my ultimate goal would be 115-120 but I will be happy to get down to 125-130 as long as I am toned and fit looking. I don't want to be "skinny fat".

Whatever size that brings me down to I will be happy with, after all it's not the size of your jeans but how you feel in them! :)

brethan
10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
congrats everyone, looks like a great thread!

Imato5
10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I can so relate with so much that you all have posted ! I'm 6' and 287 lbs, wearing a size 20. I've mentioned to a couple people that I have a goal to hit a 100lbs loss and neither could believe that I'd have 100lbs to lose (my high weight was 334 and from that I wanted to lose 150!) One of those gals I talked to is 5'9" and said she was a size 18 at 180 lbs. I don't get that as when I was 275 I was an 18/20, so I'm guessing 260ish would put me in a full 18? Right now my skirts are a 20 but I can wear some 18's in tops. At my high of 334 I was a size 26.

Lakilaulea
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm 5'10" and have a goal to get back down to 155. When I was 142, I thought I looked great, but was told by a few people that I resembled a Tootsie Pop (I have a big head LOL). That number was also very difficult to maintain, but I was able to stay in the 150s for a good while before I went on my all-fat-all-the-time diet. I was about a size 6/8 then. Going any higher than that makes me look on the chubbier side due to my bone structure.

baker23
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Imato5- I was comfortable in a size 18 at around 230-240 pounds. At 180 I'm a comfortable size 12, and I have extreamly wide hips(were talking like childbering hips here 0.o) So I can't really picture someone at 5'9 and 180 pounds, being an 18 xD unless she has alot of booty or something...

SunnySide99
10-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey baker23, you look great!

Imato5 - Good job on your weight loss! I agree baker23 when she mentioned "I can't really picture someone at 5'9 and 180 pounds being an 18..." When I was in college those were my stats and I was a 10/12. I was "solid" too meaning I was toned, but shapely with T & A (lol). I guess what you would call a coke bottle shape. I lifted weights back then and I'm doing so now, so I'm quite sure that had sometime to do with it as well. I was a size 18 when I was in the 240's. We're all different so maybe it could happen?

Lakilaulea
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, either your friend is lying about her size, or her weight. I'm only an inch taller than her, and even at my heaviest (232) I wasn't an 18. When I was 180 I was in a 12.

takingcontrol
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Right now I weigh around 175 and am 5'7/5'8. I have set my goal at 154 (11 stone UK) because it leaves me nicely under being overweight in terms of BMI, so I'm safe for fluctuations. I hope!

However, now 21lbs off, people simply don't believe me when I say I'm actually medically overweight. When I got to my ticker weight a few months back people were worrying about me and saying I should stop the diet! Now, I believe this is massively down to people changing their view on what is fat/right/skinny, but it's also down to me having a large frame with wide shoulders/hips etc and carrying almost all of my excess weight in my legs with quite a trim waist and upper body (minus the upper arms).

I think I'm yet another one that shows that BMI is just a number, I'm sure if I were to ever reach 20BMI I'd look far too skinny, but someone else at the same weight and height would no doubt look great!

s rosa
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm 5'10" and my goal is 150ish. I weighed 160 in high school and was an 8-10, could've lost about 10 more pounds while still looking and feeling healthy, so that's how I got 150. But if I get to 160 and love where I'm at, I'm fine with that too. People NEVER believe me when I tell them how much I weigh or how much I want to lose. I told someone the other day I want to lose 100 lbs (which would put me around 165, which would still be healthy weight for me IMO) and they were like, you don't have 100 lbs to lose! Well, I wish! I wanted to assure them that all those pounds are there, I'm just good at hiding them under my clothes. But I think most people just don't have an accurate idea of what a pound looks like (and how it looks on a short person vs tall person, a skinny person vs overweight).

givepeaceachance
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm 5'9. My healtyh weight a few yrs ago was 155 and a size 6. Ranges vary greatly bc some people are small-large frame, thin-muscular. It depends on your body shape, etc. If you are 180 and still have some inches to pinch, lose some more until that problem is solved =)

hiddenstar
11-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I have toadmit several of these posts are making me feel bad. At 5'10" and 190, i wear a size 18. I can squeeze into 16 but it is skin tight. I don't have a big booty nor do i consider myself big bone. The measurement around my butt is 46". Is that much bigger than others? Do i have the wrong image of myself. Am i actually worse.:(

hiddenstar
11-08-2012, 11:56 PM
I just went to ehow. It said bone size is determinedby wrist measurement. Mine was 6.5 inches which makes me medium bone. This thread has really brought me to tears.

JohnP
11-09-2012, 01:36 AM
This thread has really brought me to tears.

Why?

Phae
11-09-2012, 04:47 AM
hiddenstar, if you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle, then I can't see why you would feel bad. Everyone carries their weight differently so someone else your size might wear a different clothes size. Don't be upset.

---

I am around 5'8" and weigh 275... no one really believes me when I say I weigh that much because I tend to carry my weight quite evenly. I look overweight but not as heavy as I am. My goal weight is 175 because I am tall and "big boned" (large frame) so I would look quite ill if I was 140 as someone my height "should" be. However, if I get to 175 and still don't feel like I'm ready to maintain, I'd consider going less, but not by too much.

Lakilaulea
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I should've reworded my last statement. I didn't mean to call anyone out as a liar. Hiddenstar, don't feel bad if you wear larger size clothes at 190... It's all in body frame. My younger sis is 6'1" and weighs more than me but wears clothes a size smaller. I know for my frame (I have fairly small bones compared to my sister's bigger bones) I'd need to get down to at least 155 to look slender. I don't carry my weight well at all. The only thing that saves me is my height. But at 180-190 my cheeks are completely round and I get a pillow below my chin. At 145 I was wearing a 6-8 and that's the size I'd like to be again, but I'd settle for 155 as long as I lose this double chin and pot belly.

hiddenstar
11-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Why?

How can it not hurt when comments are not possible, mustbe lying, must have large booty or something wrong with them. Sorry i can't read this thread it is too depressing that they are talking about my figure.

Lakilaulea
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
hiddenstar, I don't think anyone here has specifically call you a liar or a big booty and I definitely don't think anyone here would say something was wrong with you. No one is talking about your figure; we don't even know what you look like. We're talking about our figure. I'm talking about my figure. I know what size I was at different weights and I know what looks good and bad on me, as well as the other ladies here. If you're healthy at 190 but wearing larger sized clothes than what we say we would at that weight, that only means we're shaped differently. It's nothing to cry or feel bad about. Bone size, muscle mass, genes, they all make us look different and we carry our weight differently.

Radiojane
11-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm 6 feet. I was at my thinnest and looked my best at about 200-215 pounds. I have a large bone structure and am heavy in the chest and hips.

Don't ever be upset by the size you wear at your best weight. I was wearing extra large - 1x, even 2x tops, but I still looked good. It isn't about the number on the tag or the scale :)

Bijoux00
11-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm 6 ft tall and am 162 lbs. I'm in a solid 10 for bottoms and a medium usually for the top. I have an hour glass figure-hips and boobs! I have been as loess 157 but not for long. I'm pretty content where I am but if I lost a few (5?) lbs without tons of effort, that'd be great too!

moonkissed
11-12-2012, 11:07 AM
wow this is a great thread. I am 5'7 right now my goal is just to hit 165. Then I will figure out where I want to go from there.

I would LOVE to wear a size 8. That was the smallest size I ever remember fitting into, I was like maybe 12-15 years old and I felt so horribly fat...sigh how I would be doing a happy dance to be that "fat" now lol

I also do think it is so crazy how everyone is shaped so differently. Like for me I gain all my weight in my belly and hips and my face. Before when I was like 195lbs I was able to wear a size 18 pants. I always wear large pants because of my huge stomach. But I am small uptop. At 195 my arms, chest, neck looked so good. It can be weird because part of me will look all skinny.

I also think it is hard being tall because you ear all these numbers and you think like 115-120 is skinny, size 2, etc... but in reality 140-150 can be quite fit and look amazing for some. And yet you think of the number as so high.

LaceyCen
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
My goal for now is 168, which is just basically 200lbs total lost, but it'll be lowered when I reach it. I ultimately want to be able to wear at least a size 8, lifting will help with that.

time4me2change
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
right now my plan is to get around 180 - then meet with my doctor (and look at my body) and decide what is a good weight for me.

I'm 5"9

geoblewis
11-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm 5' 11" and shooting for 170, then tweaking from there. I'd rather shoot for a body fat percentage of 24%.

I have a friend who is at 20% body fat, same height as me, and she weighs 140. But she works hard to maintain that weight. Her frame seems to be much smaller than mine. Her wrists are tiny!